Smalling signs new contract

El Jefe

Hope the new manager comes in and deems him surplus to requirements. As far as the top level goes Smalling is average, sure he's our best CB now but then again Ashley Young was our best fullback last season and I wanted him out too.

Young, Valencia, Rojo, Jones and Smalling should all be out of the club. They've been here way too long and have nothing more to offer than they've already shown. Similar to how Pep had a fundamental restructuring of City's defence, that's exactly what we need and we'd be far better for it having players who can also play football as well as defending for once.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You're missing the point completely.
Any other player would make th e same pass instantly.

He has to completely manoeuvre his whole body to make the pass. It's ridiculous.

However, i still think he's by far our best defender and just needs a quality partner. Him not being a ball player isn't the massive problem every one tries to make.it
No. He just intercepted the ball from a counter, it is completely normal in such a situation to dwell on it just a second to calm everyone down while we regain our shape. A lot of defenders do that, and it isn't that hard to do just keep calm for a second and not to make a sloppy quick pass. To say he HAS to manoeuvre his body to be able to make such a simple pass is what's really ridiculous, as its obvious why he did it. He is an overly cautious defender especially with the ball at his feet, as he knows thats his weakness, but lets not go too overboard and claim he actually can't effortlessly make that pass quicker without the context of being cautious in a professional game.

It's a damn shame and indicative of where the club is, but we had to do it. He's a mid table level defender and in times of old would have been shipped out long ago, but he's the only one we've got who can stay fit and consistent.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You're missing the point completely.
Any other player would make th e same pass instantly.

He has to completely manoeuvre his whole body to make the pass. It's ridiculous.

However, i still think he's by far our best defender and just needs a quality partner. Him not being a ball player isn't the massive problem every one tries to make.it
I didn’t miss the point, I said he’s awkward and gangly. But he still makes the correct decision.

Make fun of him when he makes a mistake, sure. But for the way he looks is just pointless.

buckooo1978

hopefully this means Jones and Rojo are off

dependable squad defender is our Mike

redshaw

Pleased we've signed him up on a new contract. He's better that what Everton, Wolves and West Ham have got and should help us maintain our lead above them and land 6th or even 5th if one of the elites have a bad run or injury crisis.

Doracle

This was a no brainer really. He’s our current first choice centre back and it’s simply delusional to suggest the club should just let his contract expire in the Summer. Even if we got in two new CBs, he’d still be 3rd choice at worst next season.

If, by some miracle, he’s fallen lower down the pecking order by Summer 2020 and we do want to then sell, I don’t see him as a player who would be difficult to move on. We’d still be able to recoup a reasonable fee for him at that point.

Crashoutcassius

Do you guys really think it's realistic that we would take 10 or 12 first team players and just let them leave on a free ? Do you see how unrealistic that view of football is? Does it happen anywhere ?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can't believe another 4-year contract. I just hope the idea is him being a useful squad player going forward.

ash_86

stop making excuses for our incompetent management, they identify their weakness and upgrade to make their team better. We identify who we want to do commercials with and we upgrade to make our sponsors happy. We can do whatever City can do, we just don't know where to start. Look we bought flipping Sanchez and Fred because City wanted them, that's all you need to know about the direction the club is headed. We are chasing ghosts, they are chasing trophies.
I don't disagree with the management part. Our budget is £150m/season. We cannot buy defenders for 100m and not address other areas. That's why we cannot just release all our defenders and replace them with new ones.

Mcking

He cannot defend a corner without grappling an oppo player! It's madness!
Football is a contact sport. The key is being smart enough to know when to let go, and I'd say Smalling is very very smart if he is always grappling - as you have led us to believe - yet gives away few penalties.

Oldyella

He didnt cause he actually got clubs vying for his service. Smailing?
It's Smalling. And your comment was that Ronaldo would stay with us out of loyalty while others, Smalling included are only with us because of money. Believe it or not, we could have offered Ronaldo more as well, but we didnt, because he didnt want to stay so dont hold him up as some kind of patron St of loyalty. We were even a decent fecking side then.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's Smalling. And your comment was that Ronaldo would stay with us out of loyalty while others, Smalling included are only with us because of money. Believe it or not, we could have offered Ronaldo more as well, but we didnt, because he didnt want to stay so dont hold him up as some kind of patron St of loyalty. We were even a decent fecking side then.
I didnt say ronie was loyal. I said if the situation is ronaldo staying with us for a decade when he can practically choose any teams he wants to play for then yes it's loyalty. Smailing staying with for 10 years is no brainer for him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Said this a year or so ago, the man took to heart the whole lesson "face your chest the way you want the ball to go" from year 7 PE.

I'm not sure how a pro footballer can have so little ball manipulation skills or actual technique. I suppose he makes up for it with his physicality and strength but you need more than that at the highest level.
That body manoeuvre. :lol:

Bojan11

Injured again.

Seems a recurring theme whenever we hand a new contract to a player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn’t miss the point, I said he’s awkward and gangly. But he still makes the correct decision.

Make fun of him when he makes a mistake, sure. But for the way he looks is just pointless.
I've personally never seen a defender at any level of football need to "get round" the ball so awkwardly like that.

Let's hope he plays well today. With Lindelöf and Darmian either side of him I'm more than a bit worried.

Bojan11

I've personally never seen a defender at any level of football need to "get round" the ball so awkwardly like that.

Let's hope he plays well today. With Lindelöf and Darmian either side of him I'm more than a bit worried.
He ain’t playing pal.

Loublaze

ATLien
Injured again.

Seems a recurring theme whenever we hand a new contract to a player.
He wasn't 100 fit anyway as he was nursing a knock and apparently agreed to take a pain killer for this game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He got injured last minute. Bailly is in.
Couldn't make this sh!t up.

Imagine going to Anfield with Bailly who I can barely remember last playing, Lindelöf, and Darmian as a combo.

This is going to be a dreadful watch

red4ever 79

Only just seen this as stayed away for a couple of days. We are officially running a charity. Chris Smalling, an average Premier League CB. As a club we get everything we deserve. Fellaini, now Smalling. Jones and Young up next and next season we will still be lining up with these guys in the first team

Sp00ks11

Read the first few pages of this thread and cannot believe there are United fans who welcome this news. Should be nowhere near this club. Has not improved in 8+ years, can't pass a ball and plays like a coward when put under any pressure, not to mention he is often injured. People who say he is a good back up are deluded, we used to have Wes Brown as a backup and he was 4 times the player Smalling is.

Edit: WTF :lol: he is actually injured now as I type this, bloody joke.

red4ever 79

At least it's not Phil Jones.
Domt worry he will be next. You couldnt make it up with these guys. Sign new contract, injured in the warm up. Open letter to the board and Ed. F*ck off Smalling, Jones, Young, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Fellaini and Lukaku. Oh and the manager too

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Read the first few pages of this thread and cannot believe there are United fans who welcome this news. Should be nowhere near this club. Has not improved in 8+ years, can't pass a ball and plays like a coward when put under any pressure, not to mention he is often injured. People who say he is a good back up are deluded, we used to have Wes Brown as a backup and he was 4 times the player Smalling is.

Edit: WTF :lol: he is actually injured now as I type this, bloody joke.
He has been injured a few games but played through them with injections:rolleyes: United-mentality that. If you don't think he has improved in his 8 years you are delusional. Him and DDG have been the only consistently overall good performers in the back 5 since SAF left. Archiving that literally proves he has improved, since he wasn't before. There are others in the squad that didn't do the job that he has done, if he hadn't done it then we would be a lot worse off than we are at the moment. Ignoring that is just...

And I loved Wes Brown for his defending as much as I do with Smalling but the latter has surpassed him now. Wes Brown was sadly too injury prone to claim a starting spot and he made a lot more mistakes than Smalling has.

Kaj45rpm

He can only use one foot. He pulls shirts every game. Sadly this is the standard of player that reflects our position and capability. Defies belief to give a new contract.

The whole defence are not good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

Another terrible performance from Smalling, we cant start attacks with him in the side and completely to blame for all 3 goals.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wouldnt have made any difference
You are right, but that is only because he would be playing with an injury. If he was fit for this game, we probably could have shut the game down at 1-1 and we would have a lot more opportunities to counter as well.

izec

You are right, but that is only because he would be playing with an injury. If he was fit for this game, we probably could have shut the game down at 1-1 and we would have a lot more opportunities to counter as well.
Yeah for sure :lol:

And Jose would start playing offensive football with a new CB.