Smalling signs new contract

binary bot
An excellent defender who's bad on the ball. Good player to have. Least of our problems

Judas

Open to offers
I do feel like the club, or certainly the social media is so tone deaf and out of touch with how fecked off and miserable the fans are. The twitter feed is so laughably everything is rosey in the garden isn't life great, can't stand it.

binary bot
Why do people, after it's constantly shown time after time to be rubbish, still talk about Smalling and Jones as if they are at a similar level?

Jones is an injury plagued wreck. Last season was arguably his best ever season for us and he still wasn't good enough.

Meanwhile Smalling has basically been relied on to be a one man defence for the last five years, constantly switching partner because they invariably get injured or simply get dropped for poor form. Not to mention also having to cover a fullback who regularly gets caught out of position and is absolutely terrible at playing the offside trap. The only time in his entire career here that he had a steady partner for an entire season, he ended up our players player of the year.

Best case scenario is that Smalling ends up as a squad player. Worst case scenario is selling Smalling and then having to rely on the other injury prone disasters as squad players. Pick one.

Edit: Actually, the worst case scenario is even worse if Smalling is leaving on a free so we don't even get a transfer fee for him.
Well said

Eric's Seagull

Not overly excited but one of our best defenders at moment, shows how bad the competition for starting places is. Good back up option and cover for injuries but not a starter when we sign some new centre-backs.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I think that as long as we can't get the world class defenders (Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Godin, Varane, etc level), then its a good decision to extend Smalling contract. He is a great defender. Not many players would be an upgrade on him. He needs a proper partner though, a CB that will play a whole season. Him and Jones used to make a great partnership, but Jones has been quite unreliable as of late, and all the other guys are not really that good.

redpatron

:lol:

Four years is it?, fecking hell. He should be kept for a couple of years maximum while we sell jones etc and get more quality in.
95% guarantee we won't sell jones, rojo, or bailly. Everyone's getting extensions, the supporters should get use to it. The club is an investment to make money, not win trophies. Cheaper to extend, than to buy.

People are just venting they frustrations on these transactions which is to be expected at the moment.
of course, its 4 year deal with a player option for 1 more for a 29 year old cb. Its a terrible contract, just as bad as Rooney's before his decline. He's going to be 34 when the contract expires, most cb decline sharply after 30.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Problem is Rojo signed a new contract recently.
Yeah, he'll be tough to shift. I assume it was to secure the clubs investment so he can't leave for nothing, as even his squad number has been demoted. No idea who would want him though, since he's rarely fit and when he is he's total nutter.

izec

Not good enough, but gets a 4 year contract. Miles behind the expectations most fans had when he started his career here. But then again, top 4 fight is what we aspire to every season

Gopher Brown

He’s our most reliable centre back by quite some distance.

That is not to say he shouldn’t be replaced as soon as possible, but he could be an okay back up

SteveW

Why do people, after it's constantly shown time after time to be rubbish, still talk about Smalling and Jones as if they are at a similar level?

Jones is an injury plagued wreck. Last season was arguably his best ever season for us and he still wasn't good enough.

Meanwhile Smalling has basically been relied on to be a one man defence for the last five years, constantly switching partner because they invariably get injured or simply get dropped for poor form. Not to mention also having to cover a fullback who regularly gets caught out of position and is absolutely terrible at playing the offside trap. The only time in his entire career here that he had a steady partner for an entire season, he ended up our players player of the year.

Best case scenario is that Smalling ends up as a squad player. Worst case scenario is selling Smalling and then having to rely on the other injury prone disasters as squad players. Pick one.

Edit: Actually, the worst case scenario is even worse if Smalling is leaving on a free so we don't even get a transfer fee for him.
Whenever I hear a supporter lump these 2 together I know instantly that he can't analyse football. It's a handy screening mechanism in some ways.

Smalling has been our best defender for at least 3 years and has become almost a meme for crap defending with some supporters while others such as Rojo have been genuinely terrible/injured and seem to get a free pass. It's a weird situation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
of course, its 4 year deal with a player option for 1 more for a 29 year old cb. Its a terrible contract, just as bad as Rooney's before his decline. He's going to be 34 when the contract expires, most cb decline sharply after 30.
It's a three year contract with an option (unknown whether it's a club option, player option, or both have to agree) of a further year. He'll be 32 when the original contract ends, 33 if the extra year is taken.

Irwin99

No problems with this really. Wish he was more comfortable on the ball but he's a solid defender (perhaps the only one we have) and would make a good squad choice if we improved on our centre back options.

....hope this isn't the kiss of death for tomorrow's game if he's fit :nervous:

MadDogg

....hope this isn't the kiss of death for tomorrow's game if he's fit :nervous:
The problem is that he isn't actually fit but he's likely going to play anyway since all the others are once again struggling with injury and form. It was fine against Arsenal and Fulham, but sooner or later our opposition are going to be able to take advantage of it and he'll take the blame. People are still talking about the match against Chelsea two years ago where he played with a broken toe and had his worst ever match.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I don’t understand you all who think Smalling is the best of our center backs. Bailly is undoubtedly a lot better than him in my opinion, and Lindelöf has been our best center back this season hasn’t he?

Renegade

Would people have a problem with him
Being 3rd choice CB? We sign a CB almost every summer since Fergie and he starts the season not favoured to always being recalled into the team. No issues with this renewal. Don’t you dare give Jones one!

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Smalling is a decent #3 CB but no more. You need a WC guy to play alongside Lindelof who can be a fine player in time.

izec

He should be an emergency CB, someone you throw in when everyone is injured or you want to defend a narrow lead against good opposition in the final minutes. The others arent great, but giving a 4 year contract to someone who also isnt good enough to be a starter, is something United do in 2018. Usually CBs can peak a tad later, but Smalling only will go downhill, as his football brain and technique isnt on the level you would expect. Once his athleticism goes down, he will be as useless as an injured Jones, or just leave the injured out.

MadDogg

I don’t understand you all who think Smalling is the best of our center backs. Bailly is undoubtedly a lot better than him in my opinion, and Lindelöf has been our best center back this season hasn’t he?
How is Bailly better? He's ridiculously inconsistent, makes far more mistakes, and in his entire time that he's been here he's had a grand total of two good periods. The first was his first few months where he was our best, and the second was for about a month later in that same season (and Rojo was better than him at the time). Outside of those two periods, he's had as many terrible matches as he has good ones. There is a huge difference between being potentially our best (which he is) and actually being our best. Otherwise we'd be talking about David Luiz being one of the best defenders in the world, and he's far better than Bailly.

As for Lindelof, he was better for three matches. Otherwise Smalling has easily been better.

0le

Yes, and calamity Jones is good enough for England. Only England fans give a damn about England.
What utter nonsense. What you mean to say is "I do not care about England".

Kammy26

If it’s just to play a squad role then fine, I am not bothered. I think we all know he has signed on to be a first choice centreback. It’s disgraceful, he’s a bench option at best, someone we should bring on to defend a lead.

The new modern defenders don’t play like smalling, with him as first choice we will never challenge for major honours.

Half our squad should be phased out like we used to do under fergie. But oh no not in our case anymore we give new contracts out left right and fecking centre. We are a shambles of club atm

Loublaze

ATLien
What utter nonsense. What you mean to say is "I do not care about England".
Yes, myself and many others who are not fans/followers/supporters of England, one of many who couldn't care less if United players get called up to play for the so called three lions.

Kammy26

Everyone who is saying they don’t have a problem with it, wait until next season you will be in for fecking shock (or not) when he is first choice centre back and we are at in 6 position again

0le

Yes, myself and many others who are not fans/followers/supporters of England, one of many who couldn't care less if United players get called up to play for the so called three lions.
Tell us how you really feel.

Shark

@NotShark
Every decision the club is making right now seems to be the wrong one. Smalling is not our worst CB but that’s no major achievement. The bottom line is we’re handing out new contracts like they mean absolutely nothing. These players are serial losers, and it’s being rewarded.

Shambles.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
No point in not extending contracts of saleable assets like Smalling.

He's our best defender, and totally mediocre, but he'd be quite an easy player to sell to another Prem club.

It's extending the contracts of Young or Valencia or Matic that are more reason to groan. Even Lukaku needs to be kept in contract until a thick-as-pig-shit rich club come in for him.
Thing is it may seem sensible now, but sign a top centre back in January (I'm taking it for granted that we will) then if we want to sign another in the summer (we should) Chris Smalling sitting on a 4 year contract with his big wages starts to look a problem.