Smalling vs Varane

Rossa

When I watched the match against Real Madrid I couldn't help wonder who is the biggest talent of the two. I know Varane is only 19 and Smalling is 22, but they are both young and huge talents. I think both could potentially be world class in a couple of years.

They are quite similar in terms of their physical attributes; they are about the same height, both have great pace, and they are strong and athletic.

I haven't watched Varane enough to discuss his technical abilities or his aerial abilities. I think in terms of the former, Smalling has some work to do, but his aerial ability is up there with the best already (maybe not in attack).

So what do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 person

Brightonian

Hard to say. At the moment, I can't get past the fact that Smalling's inability to distribute the ball effectively under any kind of pressure isn't getting any better, and is starting to affect the team's performances when he plays. He either hoofs it up blindly, or tries these long passes of which he is clearly not capable, and which almost never find their target.

Other than that, I'd say they're fairly even, or perhaps that Smalling edges it for his aerial dominance. And I suppose if one of our defenders had been turned and then committed a red card foul like Varane did on Evra, there'd be people on here waiting to crucify them.

So yeah, hard to say.

Rossa

Hard to say. At the moment, I can't get past the fact that Smalling's inability to distribute the ball effectively under any kind of pressure isn't getting any better, and is starting to affect the team's performances when he plays. He either hoofs it up blindly, or tries these long passes of which he is clearly not capable, and which almost never find their target.

Other than that, I'd say they're fairly even, or perhaps that Smalling edges it for his aerial dominance. And I suppose if one of our defenders had been turned and then committed a red card foul like Varane did on Evra, there'd be people on here waiting to crucify them.

So yeah, hard to say.
Good post!

Do you think that Smalling would better partner Evans then, who is very good at distributing the ball? Vidic isn't world class in terms of his passing. Smalling's short passing is pretty decent though and he is able to carry the ball forward because of his strength, balance and pace.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Smalling as long as he stays off the weed. Dopiest looking fecker I've ever seen.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I reckon Varane and Jones will both be better.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Smalling as long as he stays off the weed. Dopiest looking fecker I've ever seen.
Funny you should say that, I got the chance to play football with him a few times in Maidstone with friends (when he was at Maidstone before Fulham) and I will say this, the people he associated with weren't naughty gangsters or drop outs, but if you were told they partook in the odd smoke, you wouldn't think 'NO'....

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I really like Smalling. I don't think this season has been his best, I think he's having the growing pains that Evans developed, but I have high hopes he'll be United's and England's centre half for years.

Varane has been absolutely magnificent everytime I've watched him really. Really impressive. Will be very interesting to see if he fulfills his potential at Real Madrid.

Brightonian

Good post!

Do you think that Smalling would better partner Evans then, who is very good at distributing the ball? Vidic isn't world class in terms of his passing. Smalling's short passing is pretty decent though and he is able to carry the ball forward because of his strength, balance and pace.
At the start of the season I would have said yes, Evans and Smalling work well together and negate each other's flaws. But now I'm not so sure. I don't want to get too negative about it, because in general I rate Smalling very, very highly. But recently it seems to be that his distribution problems have actually got worse, and it's getting to the point that it doesn't matter who his partner is, because there will always be times in the game where he has to be the one to get the ball out of defence.

The irritating thing is that he could make the issue less problematic without actually improving - he just needs to realise his limitations, and play within them. This season he has constantly attempted that raking long ball out to the winger which Rio and Evans both produce sometimes, and like clockwork it has either massively overshot, or been intercepted easily by the fullback. Once you watch for it, you'll see it three or four times every time he plays. It's become almost a running joke when I watch the match with my dad.

As for Vidic's ability on the ball: he may not be as competent a dribbler as Evans, but he showed yesterday that that aspect of his game is definitely underrated, and that he's actually an excellent passer. He was repeatedly extremely cool under pressure, twisting and turning to earn the time and space to make the right pass without ever looking likely to lose the ball. And although he didn't attempt the ambitious long ball much, he was providing the midfield with consistently excellent service.

Maybe someone who knows where to get hold of stats could find Smalling and Vidic's pass completion %s for yesterday, I think it would make an interesting read. Vidic was on the ball a lot more than Smalling, but I'm willing to bet he gave away possession a good deal less.

Cevno

Varane is better right now. His performance against Barca was great a couple of weeks ago. Was better than Ramos against us too.

Smalling has more rough edges to his game, while Varane right now seems more complete.

Both can have shaky distribution sometimes mind you. Smalling probably more than Varane.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Varane edges it for me at the moment, but that may be due to him actually getting a few starts without being rotated and, therefore, not looking as rusty as Smalling.

Both will be great CBs.

manusteve

Varane is a better player now, and I'd be surprised if Smalling ever becomes better than Varane.
Against Reading, I'd have preferred Smalling at RB and Jones at CB.
And yeah, Smalling's distribution is poor.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We still have Evans and Jones.
I mean we have 3 top top young defenders in the team, I wouldn't complain if any 1 or 2 of them could turn into world class in future.

manusteve

We still have Evans and Jones.
I mean we have 3 top top young defenders in the team, I wouldn't complain if any 1 or 2 of them could turn into world class in future.
Oh I absolutely agree about Evans and Jones. Evans has been a revelation. I just don't rate Smalling.

Coxy

I personally think Jones will turn out better than Smalling. But anyway Smalling vs Varane...Varane for me. He is younger, and for me, more talented.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think we can still remember in Smalling's case it was only a few years ago that he wasn't in League football.. the transition is ridiculous and this rate I have no doubt he will carry on improving, but as a CB, I rate him below Evans and above Jones... as DM or wing back Evans and Jones come out on top...

Aint gota Kalou

Smallings one of the most natural defenders we've had in a long time I think. It's on the ball which he struggles, once he sorts this out he'll be a starter IMO. I've not seen that much of Varane but he looks a lot more accomplished on the ball which probably gives him the edge at the minute.

Cold_Boy

Why do people think Jones will turn out better than Smalling suddenly?
Only few weeks ago people were saying the opposite.

And few months ago Smalling was nailed on to become the best CB in the PL or even the world.

Forevergiggs

I have seen Varane properly in two games so far this season:

(1) Against Barcelona: Where he was good for most the game but had a "Rafael moment", as noodles will call it, for the Fabregas goal. (Though I don't believe either Rafael or him were at fault for the respective goals against 'Pool or 'Barca). Couple of dicey last ditch challenges but was overall excellent.

(2) Against Us: The challenge on Evra should have been called a red.

I feel Smalling is a good defender but his distribution this season has been atrocious. There were times last night where he could have just kept it simple and not gone for the ambitious long ball. Someone needs to work on this aspect of his game, in a day and age, when a defender is asked to do more than just defend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Varane reminds me of a young Rio, he looks very classy, good on the ball and has fantastic athleticism.

On the other hand though we have not seen him have to deal with any aerial threat. Smalling has proved he can tough it with the stokes / west hams that launch the ball into the box 24/7. That counts alot for me, could Varane hack that style?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Varane's excellent in the air from what I saw of him in Lens. Not as good as Smalling who really does dominate his box but more than good enough.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Why do people think Jones will turn out better than Smalling suddenly?
Only few weeks ago people were saying the opposite.

And few months ago Smalling was nailed on to become the best CB in the PL or even the world.
I agree. Jones is talented, but I've seen nothing to understand why people believe he'd be better than Smalling. At centre back, I'd say Smalling has been better, hands down.

At right back, then Jones all the way.

They're both young for defenders so anything can happen/change.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I think we can still remember in Smalling's case it was only a few years ago that he wasn't in League football.. the transition is ridiculous and this rate I have no doubt he will carry on improving, but as a CB, I rate him below Evans and above Jones... as DM or wing back Evans and Jones come out on top...
That's a crucial point imo. It probably goes some way towards explaining his somewhat sub-par distribution but also means he's still got alot of scope for development left.

Agree with Brightonian about Vidic too. He's alot more competent in possession than he's sometimes given credit for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I firmly believe Smalling will be one of the best CB in the world. About who's better on him or Varane? I think Smalling is the better right now.

Shark

@NotShark
I think people are being a tad bit biased here, but what I do believe is that both of them have very bright futures ahead of them.

buckooo1978

Varane has looked class when i've seen him (admittedly a couple of times)

Smalling will be the successor to Rio - he has the pace and coolness in defence

the worrying thing lately has been his distribution - he couldnt pass water last nite

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Both of them will turn into world class centre backs. The two of them are already of high quality for their age.

As stated above, Smalling's distribution from the back is a bit of a worry, however you've got to remember we have Evans and Rio, who are two of the best passers of the ball from the back in the league. It's easy to forget that and compare

Tooni

He is not going to be next Rio or Vidic, he is just going to be himself. He may not distribute the ball or read the game as good as Rio or head the ball as good as Vidic but he could still end up a very good defender in his own way. Surprising how much the form of a player swings fan's opinion of the potential of a player.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Varane looks a bit classier on the ball. Smalling is ahead as a defender.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Smalling's first season with us was excellent, I thought he would easily become best CB in the world in next three or four years, but his progress hasn't really went as I expected, he's had a lot of injuries in last two seasons. I don't think playing him on RB helped too.

Still, plenty of time ahead of him, he is young and still excellent defender, I just hope he won't have problems with injury like in last two years.

As for comparing him with Varane, I think Varane is having better season, but they are similar type of players, I would say both equally talented.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I remember when Smalling came back vs city in the fa cup without even a training session and he was such a massive boost and helped us win. I think next season if he plays MOST game he will get a lot better but he already is class.

Varane looks to have tons of potential and looks a rarity because he looks like he will be a madrid first teamer instead of being thrown out for a world class star. right now i dont know because theyre both very good and can be massive massive talents but at the same time it looks like varane would have the bigger drop if he flops.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Varane looks the bigger talent at this moment in time, but I think Smalling being in and out due to injuries over the last 12 months has been the biggest issue.

As said by another poster, after his first season with us he looked a dead cert to become the next one in for England and the long-term successor to one of Rio/Vidic. He'd certainly benefit from a run of games, but as of right now our best combinations are going to come from Rio Vidic and Evans. Smalling will be a vital squadie for the rest of the season being in and out, but I think he'll be looking to kick-start things next season in regards to being a proper first-teamer. There will come a time where Rio/Vidic won't be putting in decent enough performances OR perhaps another injury, and if he's fit he'll get his chance to shine over a run of games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Varane has been getting rave reviews in Spain but I thought he looked nervy against us (not writing him off as I'm sure he'll go on to be a fine player)

manutddjw

Varane will be rated higher than Smalling by every world football pundit and top 100 list even if Smalling becomes our first choice center back. Varane is the modern central defender, where being good on the ball and contributing in attack seems to be rated just as importantly as defending. Pique and Ramos being touted amongst the best central defenders in the world is a good indication of this.

I look at Smalling as a throwback to English defenders. A physical presence, good in the air and will be a great defender. He'll be good for us, but Varane will certainly be the more highly rated of the 2.

Cevno

Varane isn't a great passer at the moment either. Better than Smalling but hardly a Pique.

And was Rio ever rated higher than Terry for his passing and distribution ?

Varane is just more refined as a defender than Smalling though. Smalling can look clumsy at times but Varane has a better balance to him while tackling or reading the game right now.