Smashley Young

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah it does, it changes everything. Literally everything.

The Neviller

That's inevitable. He missed a pen but unlike Cole he was poor in the match and the fault, for the people at home, is laid on the attackers. There will be boos come the start of the season. Best thing for him is to have a good pre-season and be fresh. Get a good rest now. England did as well as they could really.
Why would they boo him? It's not like he did something stupid and got himself sent-off when England were in a winning position, leading them to eventually give away the opportunity to go through. He missed a penalty. Did they boo Waddle and Pearce, or Southgate, or Batty and Ince, or Beckham and Vassell, or Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher? Why should they now boo Young, especially if they don't boo Cole as well? They missed penalties, it happens.

If either of them get booed at the start of the season they should tell England to shove it up their cock.

Cina

cider the majority of people on here aren't saying he's not a good player, only the usual idiots who say that any time a player underperforms.

Jaz

This thread reminds me of the Nani thread.

A poor tournament isn't new to English or United players. The fact is that young was the best player in most of the qualifiers for England in the past few months. That said, I continue to think that Nani and Valencia are superior wingers, that's not saying he's a bad player.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His talent cannot be questioned. It was just unfortunate that nobody explained the rules of penalty shoot-outs to him before he stepped up.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He had a shocking tournament but the tactics didn't suit him at all. He had such disciplined and defensive instructions and then on the odd occasion he did get the ball there was often just 1 or sometimes even no players available to pass too.

acnumber9

Because people were losing the mind over a player who never saw the pitch while the hometown favorite spent quite a bit of time being about as bad as Downing would have been.
Probably because it was utterly pointless bringing a player so bad he couldn't even challenge an under performing player.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Had my City mate rambling on how he is shit and how he doesn't know how he gets in United's team and how Milner could have been the man for England if Hodgson knew how to use him correctly. The hipocrasy of some of these loons astounds me!

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There seemed to be no linking up with Cole at all down the left, he didnt get anywhere near the amount of support he gets from Evra who continually overlaps which stops Young from being double marked and making it easier for him to come inside and get his crosses/shots away.

DFreshKing

There seemed to be no linking up with Cole at all down the left, he didnt get anywhere near the amount of support he gets from Evra who continually overlaps which stops Young from being double marked and making it easier for him to come inside and get his crosses/shots away.
Hard to blame Cole for this, he was our best player again last night until the penalty.

I know starfish is getting the plaudits but I think Cole was the one world class player we had.

Gerrard could not even out pass him in midfield.

I like Young but this was not his tournament.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Hard to blame Cole for this, he was our best player again last night until the penalty.

I know starfish is getting the plaudits but I think Cole was the one world class player we had.

Gerrard could not even out pass him in midfield.

I like Young but this was not his tournament.
He defended well but he seemed very reluctant to cross the half way line. One of the times he did get forward overlapping Young was when England had 1 of their only opportunities in the 2nd half, think it was Rooneys overhead.

Don't get me wrong, Young stank the place out, but everytime he got the ball he had 2-3 men around him and i think he'd have benefitted a lot more from Cole getting forward more taking 1 of his markers away from him.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I am a big fan of Young but his signing was all about our value policy. He was a good deal but doesn't help us close the gap in the CL at all.

He had a terrible Euros but yes still a decent player.

Cina

How is Young part of the value policy? We completely overpaid.

mightberight

I am a big fan of Young but his signing was all about our value policy. He was a good deal but doesn't help us close the gap in the CL at all.

:lol: Value policy. You mean, buying players that a club thinks are value for money, as opposed to buying players that a club doesn't think are value for money? Who'd have thought.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Why are people surprised he had a poor tournament? He was the best in the qualifiers, but that's against the likes of Montenegro & Wales not France, Sweden, Ukraine & Italy. He's a limited player, useful for giving Nani & Valencia a rest or when coming in when they are injured. Nothing more.

Ghetto smurf.

mufcwarm92

He's the best English winger by miles and in the top 5 playing in England. He's not the only top player to have a poor Euros and it probably won't change his club performances next season.

mightberight

Why are people surprised he had a poor tournament? He was the best in the qualifiers, but that's against the likes of Montenegro & Wales not France, Sweden, Ukraine & Italy. He's a limited player, useful for giving Nani & Valencia a rest or when coming in when they are injured. Nothing more.

Ghetto smurf.
Absurd logic considering you could just as well apply it to Rooney too. We should also sign Peter Crouch 'cos he scored a great goal against Ukraine three years ago.

mufcwarm92

Ghetto smurf.
Well that's a pretty ridiculous assessment given his season with United. I can't see any evidence at all of him being poor in the bigger games, especially given that superb performances vs both Arsenal and Spurs spring to mind.

MJJ

How is buying ashley young for close to £20m a value signing? I made a thread near the start of the season where I stated that we could have bought so much better for the money that we paid for him and I stand by my opinion.

mufcwarm92

How is buying ashley young for close to £20m a value signing? I made a thread near the start of the season where I stated that we could have bought so much better for the money that we paid for him and I stand by my opinion.
He had a fantastic debut season though, how can you possibly stick by that opinion? I'm shocked that people are letting his international form cloud their judgement on the wisdom of signing him given how brilliant he was this season.

It's absolutely ridiculous to use his Euros performance to judge how good a signing he's been.

MJJ

He had a fantastic debut season though, how can you possibly stick by that opinion? I'm shocked that people are letting his international form cloud their judgement on the wisdom of signing him given how brilliant he was this season.

It's absolutely ridiculous to use his Euros performance to judge how good a signing he's been.
Was it though? Personally I felt his season was average, great at the start then tailed off and in the end made a decent contribution with a couple of goals. I am not blaming him for the euros performance as hodgson tactics was extremely negative and no player had a chance to display their attacking qualities. Infact our team that played 8 defenders against arsenal was more attacking then this england bunch.

Like I said he is a decent winger but for the money/wages we paid/are paying I feel we could have gotten a much better player. One who will play the LW more effectively as well.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Fantastic and brilliant? Really? I'm sorry I just don't associate Young with those 2 words. I think he's had a decent/good season and he's already as good as he'll be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's a United player and will be very useful for us for years and years to come but I don't think he's good enough to properly hold down that left wing spot at United.

Cina

He's a bit unlucky that he's competing against 2 of the best wingers in Europe for a starting spot is all. He'll never be as good as Nani or Valencia, they're both on a completely different level. Everyone knew (or should have known) that when we signed him.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We overspent on someone who is a very good back up which is what we need considering neither Nani or Valencia are always fit and both can go of the boil from time to time. Competition is good which Young provides. If Nani and Valencia are both firing (has this ever happened for more than 1 game on the trot?) he misses out.

Didn't rate him at Villa but he's here now.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I've warmed to him. He consistantly offers good delivery, a goal threat, and works hard.

A classy Park-upgrade, really. With a bit of skill to boot.

reddevilcanada

You can't deny he had a shocking euros though.
To be fair, Rooney was pretty average as well in the Euros - despite being a much better player.

Young's performances in the Euros wasn't a surprise to me - he's not exactly world class so I wasn't expecting him to be that good and the penalty miss gave every one the scapegoat the English fans & media need to blame for their usual shitty performances in major tourneys.

Cina

We overspent on someone who is a very good back up which is what we need considering neither Nani or Valencia are always fit and both can go of the boil from time to time. Competition is good which Young provides. If Nani and Valencia are both firing (has this ever happened for more than 1 game on the trot?) he misses out.
Sadly not, when one is fit and on form the other is either injured or lacking fitness. If both were simultaneously on form it'd be ridiculous.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Sadly not, when one is fit and on form the other is either injured or lacking fitness. If both were simultaneously on form it'd be ridiculous.
The Fulham game last season, with Nani as a right winger and Valencia as the right back, was fecking magic.

What a game that was. Those two completely destroyed Fulham.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK

Can't really agree with your appraisal of his season.

To me he just about scraped through as doing alright. A couple of big performances but mostly underwhelming ones. He should be given the benefit of any doubt as he had a few injuries.

Cina

The Fulham game last season, with Nani as a right winger and Valencia as the right back, was fecking magic.

What a game that was. Those two completely destroyed Fulham.
Yeah I remember that.

We might see more of it with Shinji here against the lesser teams too.

StuCol

Chimp
To be fair, Rooney was pretty average as well in the Euros - despite being a much better player.

Young's performances in the Euros wasn't a surprise to me - he's not exactly world class so I wasn't expecting him to be that good and the penalty miss gave every one the scapegoat the English fans & media need to blame for their usual shitty performances in major tourneys.
I agree, and I'm not saying Ashleys poor euros makes him a bad player. He had some great performances this year for us. Some poor ones too but who doesn't?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I like how KingMinger decides to denigrate the Young signing as a "value signing" when if I remember rightly last year he was one of the big supporters for signing him. Ridiculous.

mufcwarm92

The whole point of having three top wingers is that they can be rotated as a result of form and tactics - something which really helped us this season IMO. I probably agree that he would be on the bench if both Valencia and Nani were fit and firing, but when you have Ashley Young on the bench, who offers a consistent stream of assists and a decent goal tally, you know you have a great squad. I stick by the opinion that he had a brilliant season, I agree he's as good as he'll get but I'd also say he has a lot left in his locker and could stay at this level for a few more years still.