Smashley Young

Man-United

Big season for him coming up now, will have to improve to keep Nani out of the team, I don't think he will be in the starting lineup against Everton at the moment, depends on if Valencia will play right back or not.

I had high hopes for him when he joined last season, hope he shows the talant we all know he's got and that he won't get injured as soon as he shows good form.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He hasn't looked good at all in preseason thats for sure. Wouldn't be in my starting eleven for the Everton game.

kps88

I've never been his biggest fan. Yeah, don't think he'd be first choice, nice squad player though. One injury to either Valencia and Nani and he's in. Another injury and we're sort of thin.

Cina

There's no way he should be playing ahead of a fit Nani or Valencia, that's a given.

Still, SAF rates him, so I do see him playing a lot.

ricky-romeo

i used to remember him smashing in penalties for fun at villa. the one against barca was a very poor one indeed. what has happened to his kicking? even his corners became worser since he joins us.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Irony of ironies from the fan of a team that had king divers like Ronaldo and van Nistlerooij and currently boasts Young, the worst diver in the PL and Nani, the biggest fanny.
That would be Wenger and co. Constantly crying like a baby about Stoke. Nearly as bad as you in the RVP thread but not quite.

Commadus

Any chance we can offload him. Never been a fan. Never will. His saving grace is he is English. Otherwise a limited footballer.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Ashley Young's bottom level is criminal, seriously, he should be locked up for that shit.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Any chance we can offload him. Never been a fan. Never will. His saving grace is he is English. Otherwise a limited footballer.
Obviously there's no chance of that happening. Not sure why anyone would want rid. Granted I don't think he should keep Nani or Valencia out of the side but surely a great option in the squad.

Cina

We have 3 wingers. Why would we do that?

Ridiculous the stick he gets on here, he may not be as good as Nani or Valencia but he's an excellent third choice winger to have, most clubs would be very happy to have him.

I think it's a case of Berbatov syndrome, people see the price tag and expect too much.

I'm always right

We have 3 wingers. Why would we do that?

Ridiculous the stick he gets on here, he may not be as good as Nani or Valencia but he's an excellent third choice winger to have, most clubs would be very happy to have him.
This. What more do people expect from a 3rd choice winger :confused:

Cina

The only thing that would annoy me is if he was actually selected ahead of a fit Nani or Valencia, which happened a few times with the former last season, mainly in the run in. He's just nowhere near their level (not a slate, because their level is VERY high) but Fergie seems to rate him highly which worries me a little.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has his qualities but when he is bad he is absurdly bad.
To be fair, that's why he's (for me) second choice. Park could also be bloody awful when he wasn't in form. Young is similar. Very useful player when in form. A bit rubbish when not.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
So is Rooney, you want us to sell him?
I never said that I wanted to sell Ashley Young so....................come to think of it though, if you could get 20m for Young, lets get rid. As for Rooney, nah, he scores 30 a season!?!?!?!?!

Cina

I never said that I wanted to sell Ashley Young so....................come to think of it though, if you could get 20m for Young, lets get rid. As for Rooney, nah, he scores 30 a season!?!?!?!?!
You didn't to be fair, that was someone else.

Rooney is also awful when not on his game, most players tend to be.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Ashley Young is decent, but thinking of him as an £18m purchase just makes you realise how fantastic a deal Park was at £3m!

I know who I'd rather at their best.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ashley Young is decent, but thinking of him as an £18m purchase just makes you realise how fantastic a deal Park was at £3m!

I know who I'd rather at their best.
I forgot we got him so cheap. Terrific signing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I always get the feeling that,when Ashley Young can be arsed, he's a great player to have... unfortunately, I just don't get the impression that he's bothered a lot of the time.

At the start of last season, when he was new into the team and had something to prove with regards to showing he belonged at a top club, he put in some great performances... then he seemingly became a bit comfortable and faded.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
So do I. Though I'm guessing we don't agree :lol:
You'd rather Young? Fair play.

I've not seen Young put any performances in for us of the quality that Park has done for us against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, but he had a string of quality performances for Villa around the time O'Neil was proclaiming him as a genius.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I always get the feeling that,when Ashley Young can be arsed, he's a great player to have... unfortunately, I just don't get the impression that he's bothered a lot of the time.

At the start of last season, when he was new into the team and had something to prove with regards to showing he belonged at a top club, he put in some great performances... then he seemingly became a bit comfortable and faded.
Nah, I seriously doubt he's not arsed. Not when you read what previous managers have had to say about him.

Anyway, his best performances were at the beginning and end of last season. Which doesn't fit with your theory.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
You'd rather Young? Fair play.

I've not seen Young put any performances in for us of the quality that Park has done for us against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, but I know he had a string of quality performances for Villa around the time O'Neil was proclaiming him as a genius.
Horses and courses I suppose. Not that Park didn't put in impressive performances. He scored so many huge goals for us.

Nathan

my view on ashely young is that he is extremely highly rated by Sir Alex. He certainly had a few games last season where he delivered some top performances. However in some games he went missing and tried to hard to make a difference.

The key for me would be for him to be confident in his delivery and enjoy his time as a united player.

He must deliver better balls into dangerous areas,make the right decisions when to shoot or pass.

I agree that this is a big season for him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nah, I seriously doubt he's not arsed. Not when you read what previous managers have had to say about him.

Anyway, his best performances were at the beginning and end of last season. Which doesn't fit with your theory.
Oh I'm sure he is, that wasn't really what I was attempting to say (I've worded it poorly). What I meant by being arsed is when he has something to prove/play for... I find that's when he's at his most impressive. It stems mainly from a Villa fan I know, who always use to say how Ashley Young in good form tended to always materialise when he was playing for an England place, or rumoured for a big transfer.

So for us, the beginning of last season he had something to prove, then he faded and started getting a bit of stick, and then came back into form at the end, when again he had something to prove (and an England spot to play for).

It's probably a whole load of nonsense, it's just the impression I get. I probably shouldn't have gone with "not being bothered", because I'm sure he is... rather I should have gone with, "gets a bit too comfortable".

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
He must deliver better balls into dangerous areas,make the right decisions when to shoot or pass.
:confused: that's easily the best part of his game, he put no end of great balls in to the far post last season.

Young's underrated by United fans, probably because there's no one thing he's amazing at. But he's good at most things, keeps possession, and has a good mentality, you can't discount him popping up with a goal or assist even when he's playing badly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:confused: that's easily the best part of his game, he put no end of great balls in to the far post last season.

Young's underrated by United fans, probably because there's no one thing he's amazing at. But he's good at most things, keeps possession, and has a good mentality, you can't discount him popping up with a goal or assist even when he's playing badly.
Agreed.

We're also a bit short of scapegoats, now that Gibson, O'Shea and Park have all left. Which puts Young right in the firing line.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Indeed.

I didn't think he was great at spurs away last season...in fact I thought we were a bit poor on the whole.

Then crack, and oh....boom.

Not meaning to sound like 1960's batman...

VoetbalWizard

i asked this before this deal, but someone explain why we bought him and not tried as hard for juan mata?

simple question like, given the lightyear gulf in talent and difference in age.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I was pretty happy with him for last season. Not sure why so many seem to have it in for him. As has been said he started well, got injured then had a dodgy patch. But most importantly he finished the season strong.

He is not even a 1st choice winger. Delighted to have him in the Squad

Baxter

The thing that annoys me most about Young is that very often it seems like he doesn't have the balls to run with the ball and take on a player. So many times he picks up the ball, stands up the defender to only pass it back to Evra. Whether that is confidence, or just that he doesn't have the same ability it is so frustrating to watch.

I'm always right

i asked this before this deal, but someone explain why we bought him and not tried as hard for juan mata?

simple question like, given the lightyear gulf in talent and difference in age.
Maybe Mata only wanted to join Chelski.

Maybe SAF only wanted a PROPER winger as cover for Nani/Valencia.

Maybe SAF knew that Young would fit in, work hard and stay at United for as long as he wanted him. Whereas Mata could just have easily been another Reyes.

There are literally tonnes of reasons.