Smashley Young

Treble

Was painfully average in the Euros. Kagawa's signing is going to limit the number of his starts in important games unless Nani gets sold.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
4 of those assists and 2 of the goals came in the 8-2 against Arsenal. He seems to have a few big performances a year and then be woefully inconsistent for the main part. He is what he is though which is a good squad player at the top level.
Yep, he's a confidence player just like Nani was for his first three years (arguably still today). If Young can get us 10 goals and 10 assists as a rotational winger next year, that would be excellent.

finneh

He's always been an inconsistent 1 in 4 or 5 game player. You just have to hope that next season the 20-25% when he plays very well come in important games.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
As both our wingers in England had to play as wingbacks I don't blame him one bit for Englands performances. Milner either.

Denis' cuff

He was below his usual standards in the tournament, but his stats are comparable to Nani and Valencia, despite playing less minutes and having a mid season dip in form. He will get better next year.
I have been a bit disappointed in his performances for us in his first season and only saw flashes of him at Villa. He always looks uncomfortable on the wing, where he approaches the full back and almost invariably turns back and passes back. His stats have been a surprise and show he is better than first impressions. Probably unfair to judge on his first season and playing for a mediocre England side where he was by no means the only one who failed to turn up. I suspect you might be right that he'll be better next season but the same end result would do me. It'd just be nice to see him play well.

Regarding his Euro showing, look at the other wide men; Downing, Milner and Walcott - all poor whether they played or not (Downing). Walcott had the advantage of fresh legs vs Sweden and again vs Italy. Of those, Milner was the best of a bad bunch, if only for his defensive work.

Hal9000

Terrible all tournament, misplaced passes constantly, poor crosses, don't think he beat his man once

Cina

I'm not sure what you're saying. You knew he was shit when he was signed, knew we overpaid and knew that he wouldn't be near our best winger. Now you're saying 'mehh, it's okay, he was always shit'..

I didn't expect him to be an amazing player at all, I was against the transfer when it happened. But once he was signed I had hoped that Fergie knew best etc and that he would turn into a good signing.

When Valencia first arrived I was hesitant on how good he would be, so imagined it could be the same with Young. But as it turns out he's just as good as I thought he was, which is a very average Premiership winger, constantly plays it safe and can't beat a man anymore... Hence the criticism.

Seems like I thought he might be okay, now think he's shit so am disappinted. Whereas you always thought he would be shit, so aren't bothered.
No, I never, ever thought he'd be shit, and I've never said he's shit/rubbish.

What I was expecting was a 26 year old, Premiership proven winger who had at that stage shown most of what he is made of, and was never going to be as good as Nani or Valencia are (who was 23 when we signed him), therefore I expected him to be a good option as a 3rd choice winger. That's exactly what he has been.

The problem was the price, we completely overpaid, but that's what happens with English players.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I am not yet sold on Ashley Young. It's not that I don't think we should have signed him, I'm not really sure either way. He's had some great moments, and games, but "in general" he's been fairly pedestrian. But, it's important to keep in mind that this was his first season at the club. And the fact that he probably wasn't signed to be a first team regular, at least not straight away - barring injuries. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to make the left wing spot his own, though.

And I agree that he was too expensive, but... that is the reality of today.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was painfully average in the Euros. Kagawa's signing is going to limit the number of his starts in important games unless Nani gets sold.
I imagine it could spell the end for Evra and De Gea too.

Unam333

I am not yet sold on Ashley Young. It's not that I don't think we should have signed him, I'm not really sure either way. He's had some great moments, and games, but "in general" he's been fairly pedestrian. But, it's important to keep in mind that this was his first season at the club. And the fact that he probably wasn't signed to be a first team regular, at least not straight away - barring injuries. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to make the left wing spot his own, though.

And I agree that he was too expensive, but... that is the reality of today.
It was his first season, but who knows, maybe he'll experience a second season syndrome.

In my humble opinion, he's overrated and I don't like him as a footballer.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
4 of those assists and 2 of the goals came in the 8-2 against Arsenal. He seems to have a few big performances a year and then be woefully inconsistent for the main part. He is what he is though which is a good squad player at the top level.
More or less sums him up for me.

He's not International level, he's a decent Premiership player, but who else do England realistically have?

How many of any of the England players are international class anyway?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Whether or not he is "international class" is irrelevant. He is definitely the best left winger England have. Johnson barely plays and if he did for England he would expose Cole's frailties as a left back who tucks in too much.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At least the government are getting something right: I read today that "Young could lose Housing Benefits", which may seem harsh, but it really was a terrible penalty.

SATA

I always wonder would Young be an England regular if he was still an Aston Villa player. Completely out of his depth at international level, that's not to say for a fair few players in that England shirt as well

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Ashley Cole must be fecking happy (yeah, I know he's not) that Young's smashing it to the bar overshadowed his terrible, gay, gentle attempt at kicking the football.

davisjw

Under United, Young has seemingly dipped backward in his progress. Whether it's Fergie's doing, Young rarely ever has a direct go at defenders these days (he used to all the time) and he never takes freekicks which was his bread and butter with Villa.

I hope Fergie isn't trying to force him into an efficiency-type player. I fear Rooney has lost his X-Factor since Fergie messed about with him out wide then as a pure striker and now just wants goals from him.

davisjw

I have nothing against Young, he's a valuable squad player. However if we sell Nani and keep him I'll shove cyanide tablets up my ass
:nono:

That's not where they go. You'll just be shitting lava for a month.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Ashley Young is an intelligent footballer. He doesnt just sprint down the wing and cross the ball hopefully; he varies his play, cuts inside, links well, and make unusual passes that other players wouldnt spot. I rate him for Man Utd and think he's had a decent season.

He's a bit lightweight and thats frustrating as he goes down way too easily, AND he has been poor for England at the Euro's (he was great in the pre-tournament games tho)

Dont give up on him just yet. He's no Nani or Valencia, but he's a good solid option to them and does put some pressure on which is always good

Cina

Ashley Young is an intelligent footballer. He doesnt just sprint down the wing and cross the ball hopefully; he varies his play, cuts inside, links well, and make unusual passes that other players wouldnt spot. I rate him for Man Utd and think he's had a decent season.

He's a bit lightweight and thats frustrating as he goes down way too easily, AND he has been poor for England at the Euro's (he was great in the pre-tournament games tho)

Dont give up on him just yet. He's no Nani or Valencia, but he's a good solid option to them and does put some pressure on which is always good
Dunno about that, he's pretty predictable as a footballer for the most part. He just cannot beat his man like Valencia and especially Nani can, that's his biggest fault as a winger.

SATA

Dunno about that, he's pretty predictable as a footballer for the most part. He just cannot beat his man like Valencia and especially Nani can, that's his biggest fault as a winger.
He can beat his man, it's just that he has this stupid habit to always check back and try and twist the defender again after he does it or goes past his man the first time. It's quite annoying

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Everybody is slating him in England, even Man Utd fans. We should get behind him, if we don't who will ?
It's not a case of completely slating him as a player, it's just admitting he was absolutely woeful for them at the tournament. We have a right to say that considering it's true.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Everybody is slating him in England, even Man Utd fans. We should get behind him, if we don't who will ?
That's inevitable. He missed a pen but unlike Cole he was poor in the match and the fault, for the people at home, is laid on the attackers. There will be boos come the start of the season. Best thing for him is to have a good pre-season and be fresh. Get a good rest now. England did as well as they could really.