Smoking

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think an underrated aspect of young people smoking is the enormous rise in young people smoking cannabis, which as a young person almost everyone I know does to varying degrees, and always with tobacco included. I know way more people who "smoke" in that sense than actually smoke cigarettes, but they wouldn't be without their tobacco.
Legalise Cannabis and stop people smoking spinny spliffs and start smoking like adults. It’s the only way.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It seems weird to say everyone would still keep smoking if it were made illegal. The vast majority of smokers would not start violating the law to smoke, they would stop even if they don't like it, just like people adapted to using seat belts.
100%. If you had to get Tobacco through a dealer you obliterate 90% of smokers.

It would end up priced higher than Cannabis as it’s such a shit high by volume.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I hope you don't have an economics exam coming up!
I mean when it’s ‘illegal’. A one hitter of good weed will get you high as feck for ages. The same amount of tobacco is a few minutes of not much fun.

Might have expressed myself poorly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean when it’s ‘illegal’. A one hitter of good weed will get you high as feck for ages. The same amount of tobacco is a few minutes of not much fun.

I was mainly being cheeky. But nobody is going to pay more for tobacco than weed, for the reasons you point out.

I think it's all a moot point anyway. It's such a crappy drug the inconvenience of it being illegal will kill any illegal market for it off pretty quickly.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I know far, far more people who say they would continue than people who say this will be the thing that causes them to stop. Young people too. People can quit without the government forcing them to.

There is absolutely no reason to ban smoking and not alcohol as well if we are going to go full nanny state.
It’s not banning current smokers. If it was I’d agree with you. This is aimed squarely at stopping future kids taking it up.

I do wonder how those supporting this here (rightly in my opinion), can coexist with there opposition in the other thread to the speed limit reduction from 30 to 20, which would undoubtedly save a lot of lives (both ‘innocent’ and those at fault, the driver/smoker).

Alcohol is kind of interesting. It causes a shit ton of collateral damage, as well as to those addicted, but I can’t imagine there’d ever be an appetite for a similar ban. I’d certainly be against it, even though I’m fine with this smoking ban aimed at the future generation.

The length and duration of the high wouldn’t affect it in that matter. It’d be about how much supply and demand there is. Just look at how overpriced coke is

ShinjiNinja26

Legalise Cannabis and stop people smoking spinny spliffs and start smoking like adults. It’s the only way.
Unfortunately this backwards Tory government would never legalise cannabis, or even a Labour government for that matter. Britain is stuck in the stone ages when it comes to this sort of stuff, despite America and most other western countries prescribing medical cannabis or legalising it completely for recreational use. I’m sure that cnut Braverman was even advocating it be reclassified to a class A drug which is fecking insane. You’d think the billions it would bring into the economy each year would tempt them but obviously not.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It’s not banning current smokers. If it was I’d agree with you. This is aimed squarely at stopping future kids taking it up.

I do wonder how those supporting this here (rightly in my opinion), can coexist with there opposition in the other thread to the speed limit reduction from 30 to 20, which would undoubtedly save a lot of lives (both ‘innocent’ and those at fault, the driver/smoker).

Alcohol is kind of interesting. It causes a shit ton of collateral damage, as well as to those addicted, but I can’t imagine there’d ever be an appetite for a similar ban. I’d certainly be against it, even though I’m fine with this smoking ban aimed at the future generation.

The length and duration of the high wouldn’t affect it in that matter. It’d be about how much supply and demand there is. Just look at how overpriced coke is
Then why not ban alcohol in a similar fashion to smoking if its about protecting future generations from needless damage? There is no argument as to why they are different.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Then why not ban alcohol in a similar fashion to smoking if its about protecting future generations from needless damage? There is no argument as to why they are different.
Of course there is. How can you be so ignorant? With alcohol there's a ton of evidence that consuming small quantities does no meaningful long term damage to your health. There is zero equivalent evidence for smoking.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I don't know any of your friends, so it's possible that you really do know people like this.

My own experience (accumulated over a long period than you?) is that loads of people who smoke weed and cigarettes will try to quit cigarettes but end up continuing to smoke joints, for that tobacco/nicotine hit (right, @moses ?) which makes it much harder to quit tobacco for good than it otherwise would be. I have never once met a person who took up weed smoking, late in life, for the first time after quitting cigarettes. That seems like an extremely fringe case.

Thankfully, the push to legalise weed means vapes and edibles are more and more widely accessible, so we are finally moving towards breaking the link between weed and tobacco.
Good luck to you if you think cannabis legalisation will come in a nation where you hand off power over what you take into your body to your government.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I honestly think it's idiotic.

Force everyone to live healthy and live to 100 and then complain that 50% of the population is of pension age. Western countries are already way too gray as is. And most of those gray people smoked when they were my age too. We don't need more of them.
This has it a bit backwards, IMO. Obviously part of the reason why older people are a "burden" is because they don't work, or work less. But the other part is that older people have much higher health care costs. Smoking doesn't cause anyone to just drop dead in an instant. It carries with it massive health care risks that appear gradually, and that costs society a lot in both money and human resources.

Also, if people are healthier for longer then they can and will work longer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Good luck to you if you think cannabis legalisation will come in a nation where you hand off power over what you take into your body to your government.
I mean, that's literally already happened in the US. Where people aren't allowed drink alcohol until they're 21. And plenty of other drugs remain illegal. So I'm not sure what your point is?

Abizzz

This has it a bit backwards, IMO. Obviously part of the reason why older people are a "burden" is because they don't work, or work less. But the other part is that older people have much higher health care costs. Smoking doesn't cause anyone to just drop dead in an instant. It carries with it massive health care risks that appear gradually, and that costs society a lot in both money and human resources.

Also, if people are healthier for longer then they can and will work longer.
Non smokers also have illnesses unrelated to smoking... and not too few. They will still die and need end of life care (if anything that will just go on longer). Many smokers never draw a pension at all!

I just think it should be up to the individual if they want to live their life to their choices or to the greater good (as defined by this current tory party).

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I don't really see the need for this kind of jumping on someone for smoking. I smoke, big deal. I harm myself knowingly with it and no one else. You probably drink or eat too much red meat. Maybe the state should take that off you?
No, was more so the fact you're admitting that if something was illegal, you would do it anyway. Just thought that was an odd statement.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I honestly think it's idiotic.

Force everyone to live healthy and live to 100 and then complain that 50% of the population is of pension age. Western countries are already way too gray as is. And most of those gray people smoked when they were my age too. We don't need more of them.
Well the Tories need a justification to raise the pension age!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Unfortunately this backwards Tory government would never legalise cannabis, or even a Labour government for that matter. Britain is stuck in the stone ages when it comes to this sort of stuff, despite America and most other western countries prescribing medical cannabis or legalising it completely for recreational use. I’m sure that cnut Braverman was even advocating it be reclassified to a class A drug which is fecking insane. You’d think the billions it would bring into the economy each year would tempt them but obviously not.
Cannabis is one of those things that I feel everyone seems so evangelical over like it's some sort of miracle herb, yet everyone I know who smokes it is a complete dosser.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

acnumber9

Swing and a miss. One has utility.
Not every journey is necessary though. There is still an effect on those around you so these moral crusaders can look at home.

Tax on tobacco greatly exceeds the cost to the NHS so where are we replacing this revenue?

Don’t get me wrong, kids not smoking can only be a good thing for their health so I can’t complain a lot about it. I do think smokers are unfairly demonised though.

caid

I enjoy smoking. I wouldn't want to deny kids an experience i enjoy. Dont see how the arguments for it dont apply to coffee / chocolate / sugar / red meat / fatty foods. 2nd hand smoking just doesn't apply out doors.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Should cannabis never be legal or be banned? Should vaping be banned? There is no upside on consuming it. Any little dose is harmful for you

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I enjoy smoking. I wouldn't want to deny kids an experience i enjoy. Dont see how the arguments for it dont apply to coffee / chocolate / sugar / red meat / fatty foods. 2nd hand smoking just doesn't apply out doors.
These examples are incorrect because in its appropriate doses are even positive for you, but there are other examples that could be valid. Banning? it always gets complicated

caid

These examples are incorrect because in its appropriate doses are even positive for you, but there are other examples that could be valid. Banning? it always gets complicated
Coffee is pretty terrible for you. I guess we can ration red meat, dont want people to make an unhealthy choice.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Coffee is pretty terrible for you. I guess we can ration red meat, dont want people to make an unhealthy choice.
according to Harvard: moderate coffee intake—about 2–5 cups a day—is linked to a lower likelihood of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, liver and endometrial cancers, Parkinson's disease, and depression. It's even possible that people who drink coffee can reduce their risk of early death.

The upsides surpasses the downsides in coffee if taken appropiately

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't know any of your friends, so it's possible that you really do know people like this.

My own experience (accumulated over a long period than you?) is that loads of people who smoke weed and cigarettes will try to quit cigarettes but end up continuing to smoke joints, for that tobacco/nicotine hit (right, @moses ?) which makes it much harder to quit tobacco for good than it otherwise would be. I have never once met a person who took up weed smoking, late in life, for the first time after quitting cigarettes. That seems like an extremely fringe case.

Thankfully, the push to legalise weed means vapes and edibles are more and more widely accessible, so we are finally moving towards breaking the link between weed and tobacco.

I think I like the 'smoke' more than the tobacco. Dry herb vapes don't do it, but I had some solid and a bong recently and it did the trick, but really it's not an everyday method.

So yeah, weak little tobacco doobs are my staple.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Driving has a practical function though. Smoking does not.

Hell, drugs are also bad, but atleast they're fun to use. Smoking is just shite.
For some people smoking is fun to use. Who are you to judge anyone's fun

And I don't smoke

acnumber9

Driving has a practical function though. Smoking does not.

Hell, drugs are also bad, but atleast they're fun to use. Smoking is just shite.
Some driving does. Over 50% of car journeys in the U.K. are for shopping and leisure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...hold-car-availability-and-trends-in-car-trips

So what we are basically saying is that some leisure pursuits are ok to damage others health but some aren’t. So if you make any journey that isn’t for essential purposes you are making the same conscious choice that your enjoyment is more important than the health and environmental benefits of not making that journey.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The problem of feeling entitled to ban things for others is that these others might feel entitled to ban things that you like

Regulate absolutely. Stronger regulation, of course if it is warranted. Banning...is rarely the solution

tomaldinho1

Are there any other examples of products that are not illegal but can't be bought by some adults just based on age?
There are a lot of financial products I guess.

That and club 18-30 holidays!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For some people smoking is fun to use. Who are you to judge anyone's fun

And I don't smoke
I've smoked for 25 years and I'm not anti people smoking, but the only reason smoking is "fun" is because smoking creates an addiction that makes you feel shite unless you smoke. Smoking is the cure to a bad feeling it creates itself.

And I realize this is a terribly unlucky coincidence, but I'm the God king judge of global fun having. So there.

fergies coat

I don't smoke and I barely drink now, but if people want to do either it's up to them feck what anyone else thinks.

I Imagine people would be up in arms on here if they tried banning alcohol. Go to any hospital on a Friday and Saturday night and see all the damage alcohol is doing to society. It turns people into complete dickheads.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Always despised smoking, don't want my little one doing it. Actually a good decision in my mind. But that's purely looking at things though my lens.

SirAF

Ageist
I bloody hate Conservatives, but this is a good idea in my mind.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I've smoked for 25 years and I'm not anti people smoking, but the only reason smoking is "fun" is because smoking creates an addiction that makes you feel shite unless you smoke. Smoking is the cure to a bad feeling it creates itself.

And I realize this is a terribly unlucky coincidence, but I'm the God king judge of global fun having. So there.
Hyperbolizing doesn't prove a point. You feel shite unless you smoke. I know other people that are casual smokers and don't feel like this. My mom could smoke 8 cigarettes' in 2-3 days and spend 1-2 months without smoking. She just liked that particular social smoking moment.

Then you find fun smoking weed. Other people feel like shit smoking weed. Should they ask for banning weed where is legal?

Should we ban cars that runs more than 120 km/h? should we ban cars that runs in circuits? there is no benefit, is bad for the environment and you can get killed or kill another driver. Maybe you say hell yeah! bc it might not affect you. But sure we can dig enough to find someone that "It should be banned" because "insert my reasons" (but basically because it doesn't affect me) and you would disagree

Everybody is different. Everybody has their vices and as long as it doesn't affect others let them be. Smokers affects others? economically in healthcare , so overweight people, so people that practice sport risk and some many others

Balljy

You'd still be able to, it's basically an ever increasing age restriction, which would eventually, as smokers die out, mean that nobody would be legally allowed.
I'm doubtful that you'll be able to buy a pack of 20 in Sainsbury's when there's 1,000 or so 90 year old smokers left in the UK. It's a decent idea though, but its bound to go underground for younger people. Nicotine is a horrendous addiction, I gave up smoking 10 years ago, went to vaping and am now on tablets and I still can't give it up.