Smoking

Big Andy

Bloke
So I've not really seen much of it, but I can't understand why people are against this rolling age increase on smoking, surely it should be banned altogether now that people are aware of the negative effects both on health and pocket?

Nobody, even heavy smokers, will realistically want their children and grandchildren to smoke, so I can't see why there's a resistance to it?

It does make me laugh though to think that in about 50 years time, there will need to be an older boy buying fags for a 65 year old man :lol:

Obviously they'll just move on to vapes in the future, but at least it's safer than smoking (allegedly) and would surely have a huge impact on lung cancer levels?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So I've not really seen much of it, but I can't understand why people are against this rolling age increase on smoking, surely it should be banned altogether now that people are aware of the negative effects both on health and pocket?

Nobody, even heavy smokers, will realistically want their children and grandchildren to smoke, so I can't see why there's a resistance to it?

It does make me laugh though to think that in about 50 years time, there will need to be an older boy buying fags for a 65 year old man :lol:

Obviously they'll just move on to vapes in the future, but at least it's safer than smoking (allegedly) and would surely have a huge impact on lung cancer levels?
Obviously the Tories want to remove the chance some people would wilfully choose lung cancer and death rather than continuing to live and pay taxes in this manufactured hellscape.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Seems to be more and more dickheads these days who fancy themselves as radical libertarians. I’d say they’re front and centre in the whining about this. They don’t actually care about cigarettes. They’re just cos playing as Americans arguing for their right to bear arms.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Seems to be more and more dickheads these days who fancy themselves as radical libertarians. I’d say they’re front and centre in the whining about this. They don’t actually care about cigarettes. They’re just cos playing as Americans arguing for their right to bear arms.
Amen. Nothing worse than libertarians; house cats believing they're lions.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah this is mostly it. Nobody tells me what to do, if I want to die of cancer age 35 (ok missed that boat) that's my business!!!!!

acnumber9

Can I get a reduction in my national insurance for all this money they’re saving or will it go a Tory donor?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Amen. Nothing worse than libertarians; house cats believing they're lions.

Here's where libertarianism stands in middle America. Applicable quote is in the article...

No names in the polling but unsettling still…

For those who can't access Twitter...
One poll respondent, a young woman from Ohio, preferred a Libertarian candidate because “I just think Democrats and Republicans are too polarized, and Libertarians are the middle.”

Fingeredmouse

Absolutely this.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
You know they’re bad for you? And very expensive. What’s the upside for you?
It's no different to the whole 'my body, my choice'. It's weird where we draw the line as a society.

Either we have a societal-wide imposition on what is 'good' for you and that should encompass not just smoking, but food, drinking etc. as the alternative will always result in groups feeling their rights or freedoms are being impinged. The issue with the former is why would we want government dictating what 'good' is.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's no different to the whole 'my body, my choice'. It's weird where we draw the line as a society.

Either we have a societal-wide imposition on what is 'good' for you and that should encompass not just smoking, but food, drinking etc. as the alternative will always result in groups feeling their rights or freedoms are being impinged. The issue with the former is why would we want government dictating what 'good' is.
Smoking is also bad for the people around you. That should be taken into consideration if you ask me.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Also I say this as a non-smoker, and am firmly on the govt's side with this ban. It's a horrid habit with no upside.

(Although I do smoke shisha, so I'm waiting to be quoted by one of you saying "hypocrisy, thy name is you").

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah this is mostly it. Nobody tells me what to do, if I want to die of cancer age 35 (ok missed that boat) that's my business!!!!!
The Ron Swanson route, but for people who don't realise it's humour.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Smoking is also bad for the people around you. That should be taken into consideration if you ask me.
I agree - I just added a 2nd post clarifying my stance where the ban is a good thing.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
You know they’re bad for you? And very expensive. What’s the upside for you?
I've done it for a long time and now its stress relief. We already have outdoor smoking, I'm not harming anyone, and if we are free to be alcoholics I don't see why my freedom to harm myself in another way should be taken from me by government.

And as I said, with all these ridiculous measures, always, the actual behaviour doesn't stop, you just push it elsewhere. I'll keep smoking if they ban it. So will every one else like me.

Sweet Square

Feeling smug about essentially banning smoking for young people. But thinking ULEZ(Ultra Low Emission Zone)is a communist plot to takeaway our freedom is perfect Tory voter brain.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Are there any other examples of products that are not illegal but can't be bought by some adults just based on age?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I've done it for a long time and now its stress relief. We already have outdoor smoking, I'm not harming anyone, and if we are free to be alcoholics I don't see why my freedom to harm myself in another way should be taken from me by government.

And as I said, with all these ridiculous measures, always, the actual behaviour doesn't stop, you just push it elsewhere. I'll keep smoking if they ban it. So will every one else like me.
Not all smokers are like you though. Plenty of people will see it as a good reason to finally kick a dumb and harmful habit, because smoking isn't actually stress relief, it creates an addiction that induces stress when not being tended to.

It would make my umpteenth quitting effort monumentally more easy. So I will stop smoking if they ban it. So will ever one else like me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

It’s not weird at all. We live in a democratic society where we have lots of shit laid on for us in return for accepting a load of rules. That’s why your rubbish gets picked up and your shite flushed away. These rules are either directly for our own benefit or for the benefit of society as a whole. Usually both. Which is why you can’t drive at 100mph past the entrance to a school. No matter how badly you think this takes away your freedom.

What really is weird are the people who don’t seem willing or able to acknowledge this mutually beneficial arrangement.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not all smokers are like you though. Plenty of people will see it as a good reason to finally kick a dumb and harmful habit, because smoking isn't actually stress relief, it creates an addiction that induces stress when not being tended to.

It would make my umpteenth quitting effort monumentally more easy. So I will stop smoking if they ban it. So will ever one else like me.
I would say very very few smokers are like him. So few they can basically be annoyed. Although they will, of course, make the most noise.

Big Andy

Bloke
I smoke and don't want the choice to do that being taken away from me. If they ban them I'll just purchase them illegally, as will every other smoker.
You'd still be able to, it's basically an ever increasing age restriction, which would eventually, as smokers die out, mean that nobody would be legally allowed.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy

I know far, far more people who say they would continue than people who say this will be the thing that causes them to stop. Young people too. People can quit without the government forcing them to.

There is absolutely no reason to ban smoking and not alcohol as well if we are going to go full nanny state.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Would love for smoking to be completely banned in my country. Have lived in several apartments where I can't sit in my own living room with a window open because of balcony smokers.

When I walk my dog there are cigarette buds everywhere and the rate of smokers is probably towards the lowest in the world here. Doesn't matter, you can't escape it.

Smokers saying they're not harming anyone are living in delusion. Zero benefits and so many negatives. Am currently looking at my 64 year old father slowly dying in front of me. We're talking a matter of hours or days. His death sentence is smoking, which he gave up 20 years ago.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know far, far more people who say they would continue than people who say this will be the thing that causes them to stop. Young people too. People can quit without the government forcing them to.

There is absolutely no reason to ban smoking and not alcohol as well if we are going to go full nanny state.
Smoking is harmful to others. Though I suppose so is drinking if you don't go around beating others up.

I don't actually think an outright ban on smoking should be done mind you. If people want to smoke in their own home that's their business, but people can't quit without the government forcing them, that's obvious. A better way to "ban" smoking is by creating awareness and making it more fringe though. So no advertising and a lot of infocampaigns telling you that it's bad for you. The amount of smokers has decreased drastically over here over the last decade since it has lost its image of being cool and is now seen is being a bit of an eejit.

Do you really know a lot of smokers that are genuinely happy that they smoke? I don't know a single smoker that would, given the chance to stop being one with the press of a magical button choose to remain a smoker. It's fecking shite and I sincerely hope my kids never pick it up.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
I think an underrated aspect of young people smoking is the enormous rise in young people smoking cannabis, which as a young person almost everyone I know does to varying degrees, and always with tobacco included. I know way more people who "smoke" in that sense than actually smoke cigarettes, but they wouldn't be without their tobacco.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I smoke and don't want the choice to do that being taken away from me. If they ban them I'll just purchase them illegally, as will every other smoker.
If you're of age now you'll always be able to smoke. The age requirement will increase year-on-year meaning that until the last current 18 year old smoker dies, cigs will always be legal.

It's probably the best idea the tories have had

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If you're of age now you'll always be able to smoke. The age requirement will increase year-on-year meaning that until the last current 18 year old smoker dies, cigs will always be legal.

Wait, this is the rule? That's actually quite a good one.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Did you also continue not wearing a seatbelt after it was made a legal requirement?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think an underrated aspect of young people smoking is the enormous rise in young people smoking cannabis, which as a young person almost everyone I know does to varying degrees, and always with tobacco included. I know way more people who "smoke" in that sense than actually smoke cigarettes, but they wouldn't be without their tobacco.
I don't know any of your friends, so it's possible that you really do know people like this.

My own experience (accumulated over a long period than you?) is that loads of people who smoke weed and cigarettes will try to quit cigarettes but end up continuing to smoke joints, for that tobacco/nicotine hit (right, @moses ?) which makes it much harder to quit tobacco for good than it otherwise would be. I have never once met a person who took up weed smoking, late in life, for the first time after quitting cigarettes. That seems like an extremely fringe case.

Thankfully, the push to legalise weed means vapes and edibles are more and more widely accessible, so we are finally moving towards breaking the link between weed and tobacco.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

The way this is structured essentially means that anyone arguing against this is arguing that they don't want children to be denied the chance to become smokers. Which is surely one of those "are we the baddies?" moments.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't really see the need for this kind of jumping on someone for smoking. I smoke, big deal. I harm myself knowingly with it and no one else. You probably drink or eat too much red meat. Maybe the state should take that off you?
It seems weird to say everyone would still keep smoking if it were made illegal. The vast majority of smokers would not start violating the law to smoke, they would stop even if they don't like it, just like people adapted to using seat belts.

Abizzz

I honestly think it's idiotic.

Force everyone to live healthy and live to 100 and then complain that 50% of the population is of pension age. Western countries are already way too gray as is. And most of those gray people smoked when they were my age too. We don't need more of them.