So...Are Chelsea the Biggest Club in The World Yet?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yeah Ill take that, prestige is a different thing.

Im not sure Arsenal fit into the same category though, like I say a lot of continentals wont accept you as a big club unless you have won Europes top competition.
So, you should actually retract your statement then:
Villa/Forest/Leeds etc were all big in their day, but I doubt many outside of the purists would refer to them as big now simply because they have fallen, the size of a club includes recent events too.
A contradiction somewhat of what you said earlier, that I just quoted. Which one is it Rob? Normally, you are a decent poster. Just for information, Villa has won it as many times as Chelsea and Forest have won one more than Chelsea and in two successive seasons, therefore in your mind, they should be accepted because the have won "Europes top competition."
He said that they won't accept you if you haven't won a European Cup, not that they will if you have...

to be fair

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
So, you should actually retract your statement then:

A contradiction somewhat of what you said earlier, that I just quoted. Which one is it Rob? Normally, you are a decent poster. Just for information, Villa has won it as many times as Chelsea and Forest have won one more than Chelsea and in two successive seasons, therefore in your mind, they should be accepted because the have won "Europes top competition."
No not quite the same mate, what I mean is they wont accept you as a big club unless you've won the CL. We won it in 2012, not 1980.

Im not saying that in 35 years time if all you've then got relegated twice and not done anything much in the last 30 years they will still call you as one of the bigger clubs.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
And yes I am a decent poster and these are no exceptions, Im not having my club who I have supported whether in trouble or glory bullshitted about by some who are arrogant bigots, who think they know they are talking about but actually have no idea because they are jumping on bandwagons, anymore than any of you would have United bullshitted about in years to come.

Im not stupid enough to not be aware Chelsea do not hold the same prestige as United, Liverpool, Milan, Real Madrid etc, but im also not stupid enough to not know when a club has now reached a certain status.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Villa and Forest won their titles with some style too. Shit, even Norwich gave Bayern Munich a football lesson at home 20 years ago. The best the Russian could give us was tumescent shite and that full-kit wanker oafing about the pitch.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
why is everyone so butt hurt about chelsea? saying chelsea has no history this and that(EVERY CLUB HAS THEIR OWN HISTORY!!!! HELL EVEN EVERTON HAS AN INTERESTING HISTORY!!!)...chelsea has always been able to attract decent names, they made it to champions league without the money, and like it or not they have ALOT of supporters world wide...probably more than a club like liverpool by now...also im sure all of you were born wearing a red devils shirt right? and supported united when they were shite? people start to like teams because they win plain and simple - GET OVER IT

rcoobc

To be fair, I don't think it's right that Chelsea spend loads more than nearly every other club, but I don't really think its right that United do either. The U.S. have it right about sports, whats the fecking appeal of watching one team earning twice as much as another winning the league every year? Nothing. I do however think that there is a certain degree more wrongness to one of the Chelsea and United situations than the other...

Its also what is great with the Premier League compared to most other leagues, so much revenue sharing. Shame that the profits from gate receipts and sponsorship don't have a shared portion though.

rcoobc

Villa and Forest won their titles with some style too. Shit, even Norwich gave Bayern Munich a football lesson at home 20 years ago. The best the Russian could give us was tumescent shite and that full-kit wanker oafing about the pitch.
Yeah, but they served up some pretty good games against Barcelona a few years before.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea

Every time we have actually won the title we did it in style. 04/05 we beat teams 4-0 pretty much week in week out with Robben, Duff running on the wings and Lampard at his peak. Just because we had the best defence the premiership has ever seen does not mean we were tumescent, we were just one hell of a unit.

09/10 we broke the record for most goals scored, beating several teams by 7 goals, and turning over all the top teams home and away.

But no lets carry on this myth we played awful football, makes it much easier to bare clearly!

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
why is everyone so butt hurt about chelsea? saying chelsea has no history this and that(EVERY CLUB HAS THEIR OWN HISTORY!!!! HELL EVEN EVERTON HAS AN INTERESTING HISTORY!!!)...chelsea has always been able to attract decent names, they made it to champions league without the money, and like it or not they have ALOT of supporters world wide...probably more than a club like liverpool by now...also im sure all of you were born wearing a red devils shirt right? and supported united when they were shite? people start to like teams because they win plain and simple - GET OVER IT

People dont like the truth. When they suffer they like to pretend its still the 1980's.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
As did we in the Final. We've given Barca a run for their money a few times too.
Yeah, but nobody is making up stories about Arsenals football.

When you make up stories about Chelsea playing tumescent football thats when people have to show you your error.

4-2 vs Barca, 4-2 vs Bayern 3-2 vs Bayern, 2-2 vs Barca, 4-4 vs Liverpool, 1-2 vs Barca, hell even the 1-1 was exciting, we have put on some incrediblly entertaining CL games in the past 10 years.

RedDevilCanuck

in the premier league what is chelsea vs uniteds all time win/draw/loss record?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Were Leeds ever considered a big club?

Shame they were financially ruined and seemingly will never return to the top flight. Chelsea were headed the same route as Leeds until a certain Russian chose that club over a handful of others as a means to create a public profile and launder his money. Seem to recall he considered United but the cost was too high for his liking, possibly too big a profile for him at the time as well, and then he supposedly chose Chelsea over Spurs.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut

Then you have a great deal of learning to do instead of generalising people in such a way. I was born in the red half of Manchester, but I was brought up in Rusholme, the blue area of Manchester, yes, Manchester England, not Manchester, Conneticut or any other Manchester for that matter. So, pressure was on me to support City like my dad, since we lived 200 yards from their stadium at the time. At the age of 5, I was already sporting a red/white/black scarf and I started supporting Manchester United just before Bryan Robson joined us from the Baggies. I accepted the good times and the bad times for what they were, mere moments in our great history. So, before making judgements about people, don't assume everyone that you are talking to is between the ages of 18-28, and only remember the good times.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Were Leeds ever considered a big club?

Shame they were financially ruined and seemingly will never return to the top flight. Chelsea were headed the same route as Leeds until a certain Russian chose that club over a handful of others as a means to create a public profile and launder his money. Seem to recall he considered United but the cost was too high for his liking, possibly too big a profile for him at the time as well, and then he supposedly chose Chelsea over Spurs.

You have to go back a ways but yes. They were robbed of a European Cup and CWC too.

rcoobc

As did we in the Final. We've given Barca a run for their money a few times too.
Your game against Barcelona was, from what I recall, terrible.

For a game in which a top team came from behind to win, it was incredibly dull.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
in the premier league what is chelsea vs uniteds all time win/draw/loss record?
Didn't read the post thoroughly, here is the complete match history home/away including all first division and Premier league.

Played 169 matches, won 72, drawn 50, lost 47; 275 goals scored and 205 conceded.

Cup matches(which are included in the above total)

Played 21, won 12, drawn 4, lost 5. 35 goals scored and 21 conceded.

As for Europe (again included in the above)

Played 3, won 2, drawn 1, 4 goals scored for 2 goals conceded.

RedDevilCanuck

Chelsea have won 14 Drawn 16 and lost 13, the only team to better United in head to heads in the PL era.
thank you rob, i knew that, was hopping a fellow united poster would do it and realize how big they really are

MrMarcello

Like we say in French "Ni l'un, ni l'autre." The clue is in my username...:lol: You weren't far off so I'll give you 5 points for indicating a country other than England, is that ok?
Not fooling me! Your secondary love for Lyon came circa 2005, following another Ligue 1 title. We all know your bedroom was littered with Jeremy Clement and Jeremy Toulalan posters. Then you found your dream love in a teenager from Argentina.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Not fooling me! Your secondary love for Lyon came circa 2005, following another Ligue 1 title. We all know your bedroom was littered with Jérémy Clément and Jérémy Toulalan posters. Then you found your dream love in a teenager from Argentina.
Not even close MM. More like Cris, Grégory Coupet, Juninho and Thiago, with a bit of Benzema and Ben Arfa thrown into the mix. I couldn't see the out of the window because of those damned posters...:lol:

Edited, since you forgot the accents.

RedDevilCanuck

Then you have a great deal of learning to do instead of generalising people in such a way. I was born in the red half of Manchester, but I was brought up in Rusholme, the blue area of Manchester, yes, Manchester England, not Manchester, Conneticut or any other Manchester for that matter. So, pressure was on me to support City like my dad, since we lived 200 yards from their stadium at the time. At the age of 5, I was already sporting a red/white/black scarf and I started supporting Manchester United just before Bryan Robson joined us from the Baggies. I accepted the good times and the bad times for what they were, mere moments in our great history. So, before making judgements about people, don't assume everyone that you are talking to is between the ages of 18-28, and only remember the good times.
oh my soo sorry to offend you proud_lyon but you missed the sarcasm in my post...obviously there are legit home grown manchester supporters...but how many people were born and raised in manchester vs how many fans manchester has world wide...dont be ignorant, uniteds fan base isnt so big due to manchester being a large city and the family pressures of who to support...its more down to united being SUCCESSFUL

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Correct.

Nah, he's right. You got very lucky that your success started when it did (just before the Premier League era).
Regarding the business and commercial side, United were in a league of their own for way too long. Breaking record after record. Still doing it. Not even Bayern, Barca and Real can match.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
oh my soo sorry to offend you proud_lyon but you missed the sarcasm in my post...obviously there are legit home grown manchester supporters...but how many people were born and raised in manchester vs how many fans manchester has world wide...dont be ignorant, uniteds fan base isnt so big due to manchester being a large city and the family pressures of who to support...its more down to united being SUCCESSFUL
:lol: You can call me PL, everyone else does, since you don't have to use the underscore. Anyway, I see where you were coming from but I just felt a little bit offended, not too much, just a tad. In my case, it was difficult to grow up with a father who prefers to support City and criticise United at every given opportunity. However, when we started becoming successful, and only being young too, it was difficult to celebrate the slightest victory unless I went to my bedroom because my father doesn't want United to win at all costs. Whenever we were winning by about 2-3 goals within 20-25 minutes, he would purposely turn it over to a crappy film because it was him who was paying the bills every month so, he could do anything he wants. However, when we were losing, he would leave it on and when I want to change the channel, he would get all funny about it. So, I had a difficult period of childhood, adolescence and young adulthood where I couldn't win. However, my father is blood, but I will not change teams just to please him. It is like asking an Everton fan to support Liverpool and vice-versa. It just doesn't happen.

but credit to you proud_lyon for sticking through thick or thin

You just have to, since it is the defeats that make you come back stronger, it makes you mentally tough and prepared. This happened to me with the late 70s, early 80s where success was very little, but it mentally prepared me for the future should it ever happen again, in this case, it is happening at the moment but, I am mentally prepared to accept the losses. It is when you have known only success that defeat is hard to take on the chin.

MrMarcello

Not even close MM. More like Cris, Grégory Coupet, Juninho and Thiago, with a bit of Benzema and Ben Arfa thrown into the mix. I couldn't see the out of the window because of those damned posters...:lol:

Edited, since you forgot the accents.
I am based in the US and never have a need to switch to/use an international or French keyboard. Damn French and their accents. Commies! joking about commies

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Tbf, at least Chelsea are still in Chelsea. Arsenal are essentially the original MK Dons. You don't get more plastic than that.

rcoobc

Chelsea in NYC is really posh isn't it? I was always confused growing up why all these really posh people in films seemed to come from such a crappy place.. or something.