So basically a Keane and a Cantona away from the top?

MisterLupus

Compared to previous season - so far I've seen improvements in team cohesion and fitness - and also attitude. Defense seems sorted - the occasional slip-up of course but nothing disastrous like what undid us so often during our previous campaign - and we're finally able to dominate possession even while pressing high (and also not losing all composure while being pressed). Players are not gasping for air for minutes after each sprint either - in fact it's often looked as if our players were just done warming up when the opposite team started losing focus - and the squad's also putting in an effort looking invested again rather than just loafing about seeming distraught like they often did last season.

All in all I'm happy with most of what I'm seeing - there's definite progress in many areas and we're looking a better side this campaign - however we're still not winning the games we need to win due to our impotence in the final third. Rather than being able to push through and strike it home - our attackers either goes blind or loses composure when chances presents themselves. There's a lack of both wit, vision and unselfishness during the buildup face - openings being created but not exploited due to nonsensical decision making - our attacking players in particular looking very egocentric at times - and in terms of converting chances when these openings actually are exploited our finishing touch too lacks that cool head and stone-cold resolve needed in order to actually...

Well... Convert.

Which is frustrating because I believe our overall play merits more than what we're being awarded - and even though we're also plagued by bad luck (ideally we shouldn't have to rely on penalties getting converted and referees possessing the gift of sight to get the results we want) - it's looking as if our main issue is that we're lacking two key elements. In order for this squad to reach it's potential we need exactly what both supporters and the manager was hoping for this previous transfer window - a seasoned and hungry artist up front to deliver that calm thoughtfulness only they can muster during all phases of our attacking play (a Cantona) - and that skilled, no-nonsense tenacious midfield general to help dominate play and also prevent heads from curling up their attached bumholes (a Keane).

Do you think we have anyone currently at this club capable of rising to the occasion during these next nine months as the season progresses and our youngsters starts getting into the groove - and if not who do you think would be both interested in joining us and also able to match our needs?

Bwuk

We are miles away. Half the squad are utter trash.

Untd55

I would say we are a Keane, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Carrick, Scholes, Ferdinand, Van Der Sar, Vidic away myself. I really don't know what you are seeing in our play.

We create nothing from midfield. We create barely anything in attack. Our attacking midfielders are non-existent, we have no right-winger, we have no depth, we have an average player (McTominay) in midfield, our second centre-back is poor, and we have no established striker.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A Cantona, a Keane, a Fergie and a proper squad away from challenging.

Mindhunter

While I like to be positive but can’t get behind the premise that we are making progress and could unlock our potential simply by signing 1-2 players.

The issues at the club run much deeper, starting with the leadership and vision at the top. Our manager is completely untested at this level and is literally learning on the job while most of our key positions are filled by academy graduates.

We need to lower expectations as we are not operating as a club that regularly challenges for titles. In fact, we are far away from it and there is no quick fix. We need to be patient and give Solskjaer at least 2-3 years to build up his team. If he is sacked then the cycle will again rinse and repeat.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd say we're a Pep/Klopp level manager away.

If we had hired either instead of sticking with coaches who were obviously past it, we'd be as good as City or Liverpool. To me, it's that simple.

I'm not saying either would've come either. In fact I think both rejected us. However, the point stands.

Sadly, they're the best two and I don't see any other manager of their quality available. The closest would be Pochettino, but it's unlikely we could get him either.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Don't disagree, you should have left it 24-48 hours before daring to post any form of positivity on here though - this will descend in the usual hysterical manner as most other threads.

MisterLupus

While I like to be positive but can’t get behind the premise that we are making progress and could unlock our potential simply by signing 1-2 players.

The issues at the club run much deeper, starting with the leadership and vision at the top. Our manager is completely untested at this level and is literally learning on the job while most of our key positions are filled by academy graduates.

We need to lower expectations as we are not operating as a club that regularly challenges for titles. In fact, we are far away from it and there is no quick fix. We need to be patient and give Solskjaer at least 2-3 years to build up his team. If he is sacked then the cycle will again rinse and repeat.
I don't disagree that challenging this season is unrealistic - but I honestly don't think it's as big a leap up as some would have it either. We're doing a lot of things right for the first time in a long while - and we have a young squad so hoping it will grow and harden with experience as the season progresses isn't far-fetched. Looking at our play now and comparing it to where we were at nine months ago - despite lacking depth I don't think we're that far off from looking a dangerous side. Observing some responses here (not yours I believe we're on the same page conclusion-wise at least) - there's a lot of hysteria and defeatism going about. Five out of twelve isn't good but I think you'd have to be in some kind of denial not acknowledging how close we've been to collecting all of them. We're talking small margins here - and even though today's game was mainly down to the weaknesses pointed out previously our previous two were also tainted by rotten luck - so in all honesty I'm not sold on the idea that we're miles off I'm thinking more "close but still no cigar".

Don't disagree, you should have left it 24-48 hours before daring to post any form of positivity on here though - this will descend in the usual hysterical manner as most other threads.
I know I just don't care. How everyone else conducts themselves is their business not mine. I'm unaffected by such - worst case scenario amused.

Last edited:

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
You must be watching a different team to me. We are sh1te

Von Mistelroum

Add a Kanchelskis, Irwin and Pallister and we'd make top 4.

Edit : as well as Cantona and Keane of course.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Cringe thread.

Why are some people keep comparing this squad with the previous ones? "Class of 2019", "Reminisence of 95", "Need a Keane and a Cantona". Just feck off really, it's nonsense. We're turning into Pool fans of the old days.

We're far from a good squad. It's only good on certain days, on the other it looks like a sunday league team. Consistency problem. No need to keep drawing parallels with the older, better teams just to make yourself feel better.

Last edited:

MisterLupus

Cringe thread.

Why are some people keep comparing this squad with the previous ones? "Class of 2019", "Reminisence of 95", "Need a Keane and a Cantona". Just feck off really, it's nonsense. We're turning into Pool fans of the old days.
Think you lost the plot there. Don't obsess over the Keane and the Cantona part - maybe you'll get it.

Mindhunter

I don't disagree that challenging this season is unrealistic - but I honestly don't think it's as big a leap up as some would have it either. We're doing a lot of things right for the first time in a long while - and we have a young squad so hoping it will grow and harden with experience as the season progresses isn't far-fetched. Looking at our play now and comparing it to where we were at nine months ago - despite lacking depth I don't think we're that far off from looking a dangerous side. Observing some responses here (not yours I believe we're on the same page conclusion-wise at least) - there's a lot of hysteria and defeatism going about. Five out of twelve isn't good but I think you'd have to be in some kind of denial not acknowledging how close we've been to collecting all of them. We're talking small margins here - and even though today's game was mainly down to the weaknesses pointed out previously our previous two were also tainted by rotten luck - so in all honesty I'm not sold on the idea that we're miles off I'm thinking more "close but still no cigar".
You are looking at this season in isolation but it shouldn't be. We have been in transition for 6 years now. Having spent all our patience and money while watching incoherent decision making in the boardroom and football on the pitch, people don't have any left. It's disheartening to see the club stagnating despite trying everything in the book.

During these years, we have had several false-dawns where it looked like we have turned a corner and will surge forward. It hardly works that way. A few more bad results and it isn't inconceivable that Solksjaer will be sacked. A new manager will be brought who would not trust the current players and the cycle will rinse and repeat. In effect, all the progress you claim that we have made will be erased and we will go back to the drawing board.

MisterLupus

Alright hungry artist :lol:
Strictly speaking Cantona doesn't look very hungry these days. Well-fed more like it - I'm pretty sure I saw some crumbs in his beard even. I was just using them as familiar arch types personifying the kind of qualities I feel we're missing. A bit cringe perhaps - cliché I'll definitely agree on - but my intention wasn't to compare this team with what we had back then or even draw parallels between our current situation and that of then. I'm just curious if there are any good alternatives either within our squad or elsewhere to fill those particular needs.

el3mel

You must have rock bottom expectations if you're happy with what you're seeing.

Aouer-United

According to the expected point statically, we should have won 4 games out of 4 games. Last season, we usually had a low expected goal, outnumbered by opposition's expected goal when we win or even lost. I think it is safe to say we improved ourselves in the style of play with many quality holes we need to improve.

Our defense looks much better.

Our midfield is not suitable, we are missing two midfielders away from top midfield. As much as I'm a big fan of Mctominay and want to see him doing so well for us but he can't start for us at the size of the club. Mctominay can defend so well, desire to win the ball back but his ability on the ball is poor which mean Pogba will have to dictate the game on his own, he plays a lot back to CB and looking for pass available options, and surrounded by at least 2 opposition players who mark him and pressed him so hard which can lead to dangerous attack for them to start counter-attack against us.

Mctominay needs to take burdon off Pogba and take responsibility to play alongside with Pogba to control the game. There was a time when Southampton completely dominating us, Mctominay finally won the ball and released the ball quickly over the top of their defence when we should slow tempo and keep possession. This is not first time it has happened, he did attempt a couple of times, it was frustrating, he's no scholes or pogba level of long passing.

Out of all available obtainable midfielder player in the market, I think Aouer or Fabian Ruiz would be a good signing for us, their strongest key is short pass, good in tight space and can create chances. they looked like midfielder who can control the games and could take most of burdon off Pogba with creativity and passing. We should play 3 midfield with two creative players, one of them to control the game with DM sitting deeper.

In attack, we feel like we need to improve attack. Martial is the only player I can say have better decision making, we need first two wingers on both flank who can take on players and know when to slow tempo or play the first touch fast instead of dwelling on the ball longer and has high IQ in decision making. Rashford, Periera, and Lingard don't have that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparx99

I know I just don't care. How everyone else conducts themselves is their business not mine. I'm unaffected by such - worst case scenario amused.
I kind of agree that we ‘look’ better than the results have shown. Last season we we got results in the early part of Ole’s reign due to some good luck and some good goalkeeping.

This year we seem to have largely deserved to win all four games but haven’t had the luck and wasted our chances. Had Pogba scored the penalty vs Wolves and we come away with 6/6 pts I’m convinced the confidence boost would have seen us stroll past Palace.

That being said I do think we are trying to play the right way for the first time post Ferguson but the quality in key positions is showing us up. Daniel James signed from the championship is our best player! I mean wtf!

Ultimately though we’ve been in relegation form results wise for about 15 games now. If results don’t pick up it won’t matter how much we are doing right.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Even with a Keane and a Cantona we would still be miles and miles off from being where we need to be not only from a starting 11 point of view but also looking at the squad as a whole, which is not only paper thin but also lacking in quality. But it's a good thing that we have finally started to get rid of the deadwood and James, Wan B and Maguire are all good signings but Ole is, at the very best, an unknown factor so far and we still have way too many either very inconsistent or downright poor players in the squad. I also struggle to find a lot of positives in our ability to cope with a high press or a collected defence, both of which are crucial to master if you want to win anything.

So seeing as the top is Liverpool and City I think a more suitable title would have been "2 years, 5-6 great new signings and a world class manager away from the top?".

Last edited:

fastwalker

Sad, we seem more and more like Liverpool circa 1992-2018. Constantly harping back to Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McDermott, Rush, Barnes, Fowler, Gerrard et al. My fear is that, like Liverpool during their barren years, we have not reached the bottom yet. How many of our players have any experience of winning a title? De Gea, Young and Jones (the last two are unlikely to be at the club in 12 months time). We no longer have success in our DNA as we once did. The vast majority of our players have to learn anew what it means to be champions. Sadly, I am not altogether certain that we have a manager able to teach them.

Lentwood

No, we are miles away. Two players wouldn’t convert this squad from 55pts to 98pts

Remember though, it took SAF to almost get fired to do what was necessary and clear out the freeloaders, under-performers and the players that flattered to deceive

As I have said elsewhere, I am hopeful that we have learned now that spending crazy money on mercenaries is not the way to build a football club

MisterLupus

Nope. Let's be honest everyone deep down know how this experiment is going to end, but of course you're fine to believe otherwise.
I'm sorry those aren't my deep down thoughts at all. You must have heard the voices in your own head - your mindreading techniques aren't working as I'm still reserved on the subject. From where I'm sitting it looks as if it could swing either way depending on very slim margins (much like what's been separating us from collecting points this season) - and that there are many good reasons to remain hopeful... There are obvious shortcomings in this team (like the ones I've pointed out and I could also add that we lack options and are vulnerable to injuries) but there are many positives too compared to the misery I experienced watching us play last season. And the shortcomings that are there - were also present last season so they're not something newly added and overall the team is actually moving forwards. We simply didn't get to fix everything over a single summer is all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Peak Keane, Cantona and Beckham, and we'd be a force

el3mel

I'm sorry those aren't my deep down thoughts at all. You must have heard the voices in your own head - your mindreading techniques aren't working as I'm still reserved on the subject. From where I'm sitting it looks as if it could swing either way depending on very slim margins (much like what's been separating us from collecting points this season) - and that there are many good reasons to remain hopeful... There are obvious shortcomings in this team (like the ones I've pointed out and I could also add that we lack options and are vulnerable to injuries) but there are many positives too compared to the misery I experienced watching us play last season. And the shortcomings that are there - were also present last season so they're not something newly added and overall the team is actually moving forwards. We simply didn't get to fix everything over a single summer is all.
As I said you're free to believe otherwise.