So it is finally happening.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Since you are first timer, goto the Bishops Blaize as it tends to have the loudest atmosphere - I would never go there though as it's far too busy at the bar!
Does Pete Boyle still go in there? Haven't seen him at the games for a couple of seasons now.

If you're serious about your beer go to Chorlton and get the tram to Trafford Bar, which is 15 minutes walk from the ground. The Chorlton Tap is excellent and is right opposite the tram stop. Beer House (ex Marble) and Dulcimer aren't much further.

The pubs near to Old Trafford aren't great.

Which breweries are you visiting?
Sounds like the guy wants a football experience - Chorlton has nice pubs but they're not football bars (most bars in Chortlon won't even let people in wearing football colours)

This guy wants an old trafford experience, just get down to the Bishop or Trafford Arms. Both shitholes in the grand scheme of things but for the match day experience that's what you'll get. Pubs full of fans going to the game - not nice pubs with people of no interest in football a few miles from the ground.

This guy is coming from London - nothing in chorlton is going to impress him. I say that as a someone who's lived my life in Chorlton.

Tarrou

Since you are first timer, goto the Bishops Blaize as it tends to have the loudest atmosphere - I would never go there though as it's far too busy at the bar!
Seconding this. It'll be a great atmosphere for your first time, you need to get there early though otherwise it'll be a massive queue to get in.

Re: chants, just brush up on some of the older classic chants, like 'friend in Jesus' and the busby babes one

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Does Pete Boyle still go in there? Haven't seen him at the games for a couple of seasons now.
Last time I spoke to Pete, he told me he was moving to Family Stand to start taking his son so I think he has had to take a backseat on leading the atmosphere nowadays - that job now goes to The Red Army lot

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Liverpool feature for the first time at OT is a dream. A bit of a shame that it comes at a time like this, but maybe you'll witness a miracle :)

Pablo76

After spending time on the Caf in the last couple of months (and assuming most United fans can't stand Ole), you'll probably be surprised at how much 'Oles at the wheel' is sung
I’ve started to realise that this is probably because the cafs general opinion, as great as it is and as hard as it may be for some to swallow, doesn’t nearly reflect the match going fans’.

Pablo76

Enjoy it, I assure you there is no better atmosphere at Old Trafford. Sing songs, hug strangers when we score and a win for us will make it a day to truly cherish for you.

Bestietom

So nice to have a positive thread for once. You will love it despite the result. I'll always remember my first game and it was a loss to Bolton. :lol:
My first game was a loss to spurs. Think it was 5-0 . Way back in 1959

United Hobbit

Shame your first time comes when we are doing so badly

If you have a few days available around the Sunday I can fully recommend doing the stadium tour and museum. The tour definitely doesn't run on match days I'm not too sure about the museum

Last edited:

Bestietom

So after 28 years of supporting this club I will make my first pilgrimage to Old Trafford.

A few months ago after my pained persistence, my local Taproom Club decided to venture out of London and visit some of the breweries up in the the North West.

Once logistics were confirmed we looked at a dates and decided on the 19th. Only when I checked dates did I realise this was the weekend of the Liverpool game.

Scrambled around and managed to get a ticket in the Stretford End. Long story short this is an actual dream come true for me, with my location, modest means I have never been able to justify the expense of going to Old Trafford/known anyone who could get me tickets.

Better late than never eh?! Even in amongst this dark and dire period, I cannot wait to visit, watch the biggest match and cheer on the team in the flesh.

Can any match fans suggest a couple things;

1) a list of songs sung so I don't look like an utter tourist?

2) best pub for matchday fans?
Don't forget to come on here and tell us what you thought about everything.

United Hobbit

I've supported united for slightly longer than you OP and I was too young to properly remember my first time at ot as i was 5. I remember bits. I've been loads since and to think of everything i've seen in thr last 29 years. I genuinely feel a bit sorry that you've had to wait till now and you'll see that shower of ahite play.

Make sure you walk all the way around ot as there is some munich stuff along the south stand tunnel. Go get chips and gravy from lou macary and have a great time. Few things that give me the feels more than walking up the stairs to see the pitch at ot.
Completely agree was in my 20's when I got to go to OT for the first time (we lost to Norwich :annoyed:) but the goosebumps I got walking up the stairs was huge

Great tip for looking all the way around as you have all the statues as well of Sir Alex and the Holy Trinity etc, I think the first visit I didnt spot the Munich section as its tucked into a corner so make sure you look out for it, the mega store is rammed on match day so if you're taking a look allow yourself plenty of time

I've been lucky enough to go a couple of times now but still like to get to my seat with plenty of time to watch the build up and warm ups etc, Fred the Red usually does a lap of honour and interacts with some of the crowd though at this rate he will be needing to join the warm up as he will be needed to play! It's also quite cool seeing the stadium go from being pretty empty to full

I'd have loved to have gone to see some of Sir Alex's teams in the late 90's/ early 2000's I bet the atmosphere was incredible

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Great news, nothing like seeing the ground / pitch for the first time.

Hope the lads manage to pull something out the hat for you!

Never been to a derby before but I can imagine the atmosphere is much different than normal matches.

Hopefully you're a good luck charm.
Me too!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I still remember the first day I watched Man United at Old Trafford. Unfortunately it was the 1-1 against Mourinho's Porto in the Champions League that knocked us out. I still maintain to this day that we should have won that tie.

You will never forget your first time at Old Trafford. Hope you have a great time and, hopefully, a reason to be happy with the team's performance.
Thanks, really excited!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I've supported united for slightly longer than you OP and I was too young to properly remember my first time at ot as i was 5. I remember bits. I've been loads since and to think of everything i've seen in thr last 29 years. I genuinely feel a bit sorry that you've had to wait till now and you'll see that shower of ahite play.

Make sure you walk all the way around ot as there is some munich stuff along the south stand tunnel. Go get chips and gravy from lou macary and have a great time. Few things that give me the feels more than walking up the stairs to see the pitch at ot.
I can not wait mate, thanks! Will def go to Lou's

Murder on Zidane's Floor

A few tips:
  • take some sun glasses, you will never have seen greener grass.
  • however good you look in a shell suit, don't wear one
  • even if "you'll never walk alone" is your favourite singalong at functions when bladdered, best not to join in.
  • and try and take it all in, you're going to a very special place, and you'll see the good, the bad and the ugly of United fans whether we win lose or draw.
Ahaha OK!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Sounds like the guy wants a football experience - Chorlton has nice pubs but they're not football bars (most bars in Chortlon won't even let people in wearing football colours)

This guy wants an old trafford experience, just get down to the Bishop or Trafford Arms. Both shitholes in the grand scheme of things but for the match day experience that's what you'll get. Pubs full of fans going to the game - not nice pubs with people of no interest in football a few miles from the ground.

This guy is coming from London - nothing in chorlton is going to impress him. I say that as a someone who's lived my life in Chorlton.
Thanks man. I am not a flash tosser and have spent time in plenty of rough battlecruisers, so no issues going to Chorley for a few jars. Be great to be around United fans. My local it's all Palace and Chavs.

M15 Red.

I can vouch for The Quadrant. It's my local. Good atmosphere. Decent mix of drinks. Matchday deals on burger/pints etc. And on route to the ground from the pub, you'll pass by Tommy Taylor's and Duncan Edward's old digs. Wherever you end up, have a good one.

Reactions: Rood

SATA

Know the lyrics of ‘20 times Man United’. That will be belted out i assure you especially if the dippers go a couple of goals up which hopefully won’t happen! Regardless of it, it will still be sung though

Revaulx

Well he is a beer connoisseur. Plenty of others have pointed out the pros and cons of the local pubs. I suppose it’s different for me as I always go with a bunch of mates and we meet beforehand for a few beers at a location where people from afar can park, then get the tram in. Alty, Chorlton, Sale (night matches mainly) and very occasionally the City Centre.

You also do Chorlton a disservice. I can’t think of any parts of London that have such a concentration of decent bars. Familiarity breeds contempt :confused: