So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wow tough crowd :lol:

When their whole team is fit they do play some nice stuff, but i agree Howe has wasted too much money buying nonsense players.
Which is an argument for him not being allowed to buy players at a better club (a DoF can handle that). It's interesting that his credentials are in question after keeping Bournemouth up for how many seasons?

I haven't seen this so called nice football in a long time tbh bar the odd sporadic game. Howe gets a ridiculous level of leniency.
They played some nice stuff last season, this season has been a different story. I think Howe was trying to be more pragmatic this season as they were always conceeding alot of goals.

Robbie Boy

They played some nice stuff last season, this season has been a different story. I think Howe was trying to be more pragmatic this season as they were always conceeding alot of goals.
Brooks, Wilson and Fraser were good last season alright but they were still an utter shambles at the back. He seems totally incapable of shoring up their defence which could be to Bournemouths detriment.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
7 teams have conceded more goals in the league this season than Bournemouth. They are tied with 3 other teams in terms of goals conceded. Yet their defense is in crisis mode.

Ok.

Brooks, Wilson and Fraser were good last season alright but they were still an utter shambles at the back. He seems totally incapable of shoring up their defence which could be to Bournemouths detriment.
Yeah he was trying to find a balance this season, hence the more pragmatic approach. But injuries, poor form and fatigue have now creeped in.

7 teams have conceded more goals in the league this season than Bournemouth. They are tied with 3 other teams in terms of goals conceded. Yet their defense is in crisis mode.

Ok.
Yeah their problems are at the other end of the pitch, they used to score alot of goals but they seemed to have dried up.

Robbie Boy

Yeah he was trying to find a balance this season, hence the more pragmatic approach. But injuries, poor form and fatigue have now creeped in.
Could be a problem. Fans are far more forgiving when results are poor but the football is entertaining.

starman

I don't get this thing about bad spending, not every player can be a gem, but even the ones that don't work out they still make money on them. Mousset and Mings are two from the last window

Ake, Brooks, L.Cook, Wilson, Fraser, King, if they are all sold in January, they at the very least double their money.
Solanke and Ibe are probably the flops people are refering to but they are both English and still under 23, a decent half a season and they make their money back on them. Look at Abraham written off. And even Dwight Gayle fetches you 11m as a championship striker...

Could be a problem. Fans are far more forgiving when results are poor but the football is entertaining.
I dont think the football will be entertaining for a while, i watched them against Spurs and Brighton and their players looked soooo slow! They literally had no energy, no pressing, taking 2422 touches before passing the ball. You wont get entertaining football with tired players. They need to buy in Jan.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't get this thing about bad spending, not every player can be a gem, but even the ones that don't work out they still make money on them. Mousset and Mings are two from the last window

Ake, Brooks, L.Cook, Wilson, Fraser, King, if they are all sold in January, they at the very least double their money.
Solanke and Ibe are probably the flops people are refering to but they are both English and still under 23, a decent half a season and they make their money back on them. Look at Abraham written off. And even Dwight Gayle fetches you 11m as a championship striker...
Sort of says more about the market than it does about actual recruitment, really. Mental how much doss teams are happy to spend big on.

Robbie Boy

I don't get this thing about bad spending, not every player can be a gem, but even the ones that don't work out they still make money on them. Mousset and Mings and two from the last window

His buys have been hit and miss really. Some good, some bad. If anything, one of his biggest flaws is his unwavering loyalty to some of the players from their promotion winning season. It's commendable to an extent but some just are nowhere near good enough.

He's a decent manager with big deficiencies. It would be interesting to see what he could do at a club with more resources.

starman

His buys have been hit and miss really. Some good, some bad. If anything, one of his biggest flaws is his unwavering loyalty to some of the players from their promotion winning season. It's commendable to an extent but some just are nowhere near good enough.

He's a decent manager with big deficiencies. It would be interesting to see what he could do at a club with more resources.
Yup I agreed with that, he still has players there that are playing while they were in league 1....
I think he is talented but he's seem a bit too loyal and lacks that ruthlessness to go to the very top at the moment

Robbie Boy

I dont think the football will be entertaining for a while, i watched them against Spurs and Brighton and their players looked soooo slow! They literally had no energy, no pressing, taking 2422 touches before passing the ball. You wont get entertaining football with tired players. They need to buy in Jan.
Aye, they clearly need reinforcements in January and the return to form/fitness to some of their players. Fraser who was instrumental to their attacking play last season has badly struggled for form/fitness this season. It seems clear he won't be signing a new deal and his head seems turned. Solanke isn't fit for purpose and while Wilson is good when fit, he seems susceptible to injury.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is this a joke? You don't think hes a very good coach? You think he's the first manager to spend on a wrong player or two?

Lerma, Brooks, Rico and Wilson are all decent business, and the fact that he's gone season on season with a net spend of around £20m and still stays up is a strong testament to his managerial capabilities. Bournemouth are a very small club, extremely vanilla with no real pull and he's kept them up with some decent football too. Hilarious how you would argue against him being a wonderful young coach. His work at Bournemouth is extremely good given on paper they should be relegated every season, and yet here they are.
And I long for them to feck off back to the Championship

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And I long for them to feck off back to the Championship
I get they're pretty boring and nothing to look at as a club. But I'm finding this criticism of Howe weird. He's being punished for over achieving with the club.

Robbie Boy

I get they're pretty boring and nothing to look at as a club. But I'm finding this criticism of Howe weird. He's being punished for over achieving with the club.
Think there's a weird leniency for him tbh. Newcastle with similar spending finished above Bournemouth last season and with Bruce who was deemed to be a terrible appointment are once again doing better. Houghton with Brighton had no right keeping them in the PL for two seasons but was ultimately sacked. Even Hodgson has managed to turn Palace into a decent outfit. Dyche is often ridiculed yet Burnley finished a massive 2 points behind Bournemouth last season, finished 7th the season before with Bournemouth finishing 12th and are above them once again, embarrassingly scoring more.

Bournemouth have turned into a very boring team to watch and Howe hasn't been able nor does he seem capable of adding any defensive stability. What I find bizarre is people that get offended when he's criticized. He deserves criticism right now, it comes with the territory of being a football manager. No ones saying he's crap, maybe just that he's not as good as the hype once suggested. His current work is sub par but people seem to rate him on his past work to defend him while blatantly ignoring his deficiencies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think there's a weird leniency for him tbh. Newcastle with similar spending finished above Bournemouth last season and with Bruce who was deemed to be a terrible appointment are once again doing better. Houghton with Brighton had no right keeping them in the PL for two seasons but was ultimately sacked. Even Hodgson has managed to turn Palace into a decent outfit. Dyche is often ridiculed yet Burnley finished a massive 2 points behind Bournemouth last season, finished 7th the season before with Bournemouth finishing 12th and are above them once again, embarrassingly scoring more.

Bournemouth have turned into a very boring team to watch and Howe hasn't been able nor does he seem capable of adding any defensive stability. What I find bizarre is people that get offended when he's criticized. He deserves criticism right now, it comes with the territory of being a football manager. No ones saying he's crap, maybe just that he's not as good as the hype once suggested. His current work is sub par but people seem to rate him on his past work to defend him while blatantly ignoring his deficiencies.
Bournemouth finished above Palace, Burnley, Newcastle heck Watford and Leicester last season. They finished 10th which is pretty amazing given their squad is shite on paper and theyr'e always considered as relegation contendors given how much other teams spend.

We're half way through the season and to be honest I don't see any of your named teams as being much more interesting than his. You are aware he's had some vital injuries this season too, like Brooks with a long term injury, Wilsons been out, Ake is out for a while and so on.

Robbie Boy

Bournemouth finished above Palace, Burnley, Newcastle heck Watford and Leicester last season. We're half way through the season and to be honest I don't see any of your named teams as being much more interesting than his. You are aware he's had some vital injuries this season too, like Brooks with a long term injury, Wilsons been out, Ake is out for a while and so on.
Huh? Bournemouth finished behind all those teams last season.

No ones saying they're interesting that's the point. They're teams that are often critisised. It just seems strange some want Howe to be completely immune to criticism when so called inferior managers - in some peoples eyes - have regularly outperformed him with relatively similar squads/spending. Some want him to be immune to being critisised and it's odd.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Huh? Bournemouth finished behind all those teams last season.

No ones saying they're interesting that's the point. They're teams that are often critisised. It just seems strange some want Howe to be completely immune to criticism when so called inferior managers - in some peoples eyes - have regularly outperformed him with relatively similar squads/spending. Some want him to be immune to being critisised and it's odd.
FFS I read the wrong table :lol: retracted.

No I don't think it's that anyone wants him immune to criticism. But you see people actually wanting for him to fail on this thread which I find weird.

Robbie Boy

FFS I read the wrong table :lol: retracted.

No I don't think it's that anyone wants him immune to criticism. But you see people actually wanting for him to fail on this thread which I find weird.
I don't get why anyone would actively want him to fail, that is weird tbf. I guess though it's human nature sometimes when someone/something gets so hyped up that people eventually wish failure on them/it.

There's one or two in here though that get overly defensive when anyone dares to offer any form of critique. Conversely, I find this peculiar. I do think he's a good coach but with a lot of shortcomings. Some of the excuses for him though are paper thin. As I said, other managers - not rated by many - have done equally as good jobs at keeping teams in the league with similar spending. I guess with the hype around Howe, most expected more from him than just keeping them up. Expectations seem to have changed and the football has gotten progressively worse.

In the 16/17 season they finished 9th and were entertaining to watch. Since then, it's been a 12th and 14th place finish. I just don't see much progress at the minute. I guess the 9th place finish really heightened the hype and Howe's stock was at an all time high. Since then it doesn't seem to have gone as well as that and a huge part of that- as I alluded fo earlier- is his loyalty to promotion winning players and his failure to add any defensive cohesion to the team. Ultimately, they seem to be playing slightly more conservative football at the moment but unfortunately for Howe, they still look poor defensively while not looking great going forward. Injuries and loss of form to key attacking players has played a part though.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He got stagnant but still too young and ambitious to act the Warnock-type cult manager for small teams?

baskinginthesun

Thought he looked dejected today. Maybe he's struggling to cope with job at the moment and is out of ideas. I honestly thought that win over Chelsea would pull them out their slump. But, here we are. Wondering if he has it in him to pull through this rough patch.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Reaching the natural conclusion of his time there IMO but is still a good manager and will go on to do well for somebody else.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Buy more trash.

Robbie Boy

Buy more trash.
He's had some shockers for sure. Solanke was an utterly bizarre signing considering their need for a striker and what Solanke had shown to-date. He's had some success too though with the likes of Brooks and Ake.

No top team will touch him though due to his huge deficiencies but he also wouldn't have much trouble finding another PL suitor.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah he's underperforming

Seriously what world do some of you live in, would he get more love if he was a "pragmatic" manager like Dyche? Because I don't see anyone bringing up Dyche's losses or goals conceded. Or does it not matter as long as you set out to "make it hard for the opposition"?
Is this a joke? You don't think hes a very good coach? You think he's the first manager to spend on a wrong player or two?

Lerma, Brooks, Rico and Wilson are all decent business, and the fact that he's gone season on season with a net spend of around £20m and still stays up is a strong testament to his managerial capabilities. Bournemouth are a very small club, extremely vanilla with no real pull and he's kept them up with some decent football too. Hilarious how you would argue against him being a wonderful young coach. His work at Bournemouth is extremely good given on paper they should be relegated every season, and yet here they are.
Easily agree with you both.

Hopefully.

An extraordinarily nothing club.
You support Manchester United, 99% of the clubs in the English football league will be nothing clubs to you.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've long backed him on this forum but does feel the well has run dry and he's out of ideas at Bournemouth.

Being 4-0 down to West Ham is shocking.

In the bottom 3 now and have Watford, Norwich, Brighton, Villa, Sheffield United and Burnley as their next six so that run will define their season

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I've long backed him on this forum but does feel the well has run dry and he's out of ideas at Bournemouth.

Being 4-0 down to West Ham is shocking.

In the bottom 3 now and have Watford, Norwich, Brighton, Villa, Sheffield United and Burnley as their next six so that run will define their season
He needs to be replaced, Bournemouth need to be brave like Brighton were and feck off sentimentality here.

If Howe remains they are down.

Ekeke

Bournemouth really struggling for goals this season. Their top scorer is an on loan young winger.

Callum Wilson is not doing the business. The difference in his output last season when Fraser was creating a lot, to this season where he's not played well...

Acole9

Outstanding
He's finished there, I don't think he's as good as what some folk make him out to be.

If Bournemouth go down, they won't come back. I think the powers that be know that too.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Howe’s loyalty to certain players combined with a poor top flight transfer record is combining to restrict what they can do.

When he has tried to bring in some quality, he has overpaid for sub-par British talent and he has kept certain players around from lower league days that just aren’t good enough for the top division.

Combine that with the fact that he consistently fields reserve teams in cups and gives players nothing to play for bar survival, means repetition and a pretty dull experience.

Fans are indebted to him though and there are so many examples of clubs who wanted more and got much, much less.

Craig Ward

He's overachieved in his time massively. Bournemouth are capable of playing some very good football.

This is the first season since they've been in the prem that i think they look a bit clueless and out of they're depth. Managers have been dismissed for the kind of form they are in, but his time in the position seems to buy him much more time than others.

Hard to conclude whether he's run his course or if he can turn it around. Players aren't producing at all

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Howe’s loyalty to certain players combined with a poor top flight transfer record is combining to restrict what they can do.

When he has tried to bring in some quality, he has overpaid for sub-par British talent and he has kept certain players around from lower league days that just aren’t good enough for the top division.

Combine that with the fact that he consistently fields reserve teams in cups and gives players nothing to play for bar survival, means repetition and a pretty dull experience.

Fans are indebted to him though and there are so many examples of clubs who wanted more and got much, much less.
Simon Francis must've cost them about 5-6 goals this season.

I remember they loaned in Clyne this time last year but he hardly played through injury.

They will improve at the back when Ake is fit again. Bigger problem is the lack of goals. In previous seasons when Bournemouth have hit poor runs they've always had enough goals in them to grind out wins but that seems to have deserted them now.