g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

So now what happens to Karim Benzema? | Hat-tricks, lots of hat-tricks

the_cliff

The insane thing for me about Benzema is he's Madrids 3rd all time top scorer with 309 goals.

309 Goals just for Madrid.

And people say his goal scoring is his weak point....

bakalhau

Impossible. He has 451, but he will surely catch up with Raúl (323)
I believe anything at this point. On track to 40 goals this season, do it 3 more times... He'd be 37 by then. I don't think he makes it though, yeah.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There's a chance he could catch Cristiano.
Perhaps, he has managed to stay in great form and he might want to retire here. When Mbappe comes here he's going to get a lot more support so he could have a few more seasons at the top level in him.

the_cliff

The insane thing for me about Benzema is he's Madrids 3rd all time top scorer with 309 goals.

Also just to add to that, he's never been Madrid's penalty taker until this season.

To put that into context Ronaldo has scored 79 penalties for Madrid.

MrEleson

He'll go down as one of the VERY best strikers to ever lace a pair of football boots. Beyond being an excellent marksman, he's a phenomenal player in every facet of the game in an attacking sense - a complete forward.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Cristiano Ronaldo on a minutes limitation was still available and fully fit for more games than Bale...

As for Benzema, he can still be a good backup option i guess. Maybe Chelsea might be interested in replacing Morata with him? I can dream right?
How come you gave up on him at this point?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How come you gave up on him at this point?
He was genuinely poor in 17/18 except for a couple games. Looked done honestly, and aside from being a foil to Cristiano it was hard to see what value he could bring to the team compared to a top goalscorer. So glad he immediately proved me wrong the next season, by turning into said great goalscorer

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is finally given the push he deserves and scores 85 goals next season
fecking hell this was a good post, a little exaggeration but the sentiment was true.

youmeletsfly

And for most of his career he hasn't been the focal point of that attack.

BerryBerryShrew

Also just to add to that, he's never been Madrid's penalty taker until this season.

To put that into context Ronaldo has scored 79 penalties for Madrid.
Unpopular opinion but I think pens should always be discounted (or at least counted separately) when discussing goalscoring records. Golden boot should go to the player who scores the most goals from open play in a season etc

youmeletsfly

Unpopular opinion but I think pens should always be discounted (or at least counted separately) when discussing goalscoring records. Golden boot should go to the player who scores the most goals from open play in a season etc
I respectfully disagree on penalties being scrapped.

A last minute penalty in a crucial UCL tie I can assure you is harder on you than a 25meter screamer vs Levante in a meaningless game.
Goals are goals, no matter how they're scored.

BerryBerryShrew

I respectfully disagree on penalties being scrapped.

A last minute penalty in a crucial UCL tie I can assure you is harder on you than a 25meter screamer vs Levante in a meaningless game.
Goals are goals, no matter how they're scored.
That may be true in the context of team success but it's a free hit when it comes to padding individual goal stats. Benzema missed out on an easy chance to inflate his goal stats for the best part of a decade due to nothing more than hierarchy within the club.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Wins the 2022 Ballon D'Or
That's a stretch.
Bayern is still more of a favorite to the CL than Madrid.
It is also a World Cup year and the votes will potentially be delayed to account for it so the winner could also be decided there.

AndySmith1990

I've always felt like Benzema may be the most underrated player in football. He very rarely gets mentioned when talking about the worlds best players

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Is he considered to be a bigger legend than Ronaldo by Madrid fans?
Besides Di Stefano I don't think anyone can be argued to be "greater" than Ronaldo
At least as far as playing career goes. Perhaps Zidane with his playing+managerial days or Perez can compete with Ronaldo

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Deserves to be the ballon d'or's favorite

There's simply no way Bayern without Lewandowski or Liverpool without Salah would EVER get embarrassed like that by that Barca side

Hardest carryjob in Europe

32 goals 13 assists in 34 games for a mediocre side that badly needs rebuilding

marktan

Deserves to be the ballon d'or's favorite

There's simply no way Bayern without Lewandowski or Liverpool without Salah would EVER get embarrassed like that by that Barca side

Hardest carryjob in Europe

32 goals 13 assists in 34 games for a mediocre side that badly needs rebuilding
Up there with Salah so far for me.

the_cliff

Saw the Clasico, wasn't surprised at all by the outcome.

Madrid with and without Benzema are two completely different sides.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Karim Benzema has now scored a career-high of 34 goals in all club competitions

In Lyon, Benzema scored 31 goals in 54 games during 2007-08 season

Benzema's previous record was 32 goals in 52 games during 2011-12 season

This season, a 34-year-old Benzema has currently scored 34 goals in 35 games

Opta Jose published their tweet before Benzema's 2nd goal vs. Celta tonight.

bakalhau

2nd player to score back to back CL hattricks in knockout stages, after Cristiano opening that stat up in 2016/2017.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just love what a player Benzema's emerged as after the years in Ronaldo's shadow

slored1

Absolute monster. What a player, completely controlling the flow of this game on his own.