So then doom merchant... What would you do?

frank lee madeer..

People don't like to hear this , theyll call me a fantasist, but the club did actually have a plan for the type of football & succession of managers. Lvg was supposed to pass on the baton to Giggsy & by that time, the new squad would have been very close to completion. , an ex player we could all identify with would be in charge , & he would have also served his time .The club just abandoned it when the going got tough. People decided to judge the idea in its entirety as a failure, way before it was complete. Strange really, because in the immediate aftermath of Saf it was generally accepted that the squad needed a complete rebuild& that this would not be a short procedure.
I accept that the football wasn't great, ( some of it was pretty damn good tho) but this type of journey is seldom easy. I was prepared to put up with the failings in the belief that , they would be improved upon , & that come fruition, we would have a young squad with the confidence to stand toe to toe , just like United teams of the past did & as an added bonus ,it would be lead out and took forward / improved by someone who loved the club and is steeped in our traditions.

Nobody wanted it, they all said it's a pipedream , that we need someone with gravitas, someone who brings instant success.... mourinho, ... & he would make us exciting again ( hmmm )

* I do believe Jose will bring some success, but I'm not convinced that it will be sustainable . I think the whole process will begin from scratch once he leaves. Groundhog day. New manager plays completely different style to previous , & wants new players to fit his style & so on, & so on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People don't like to hear this , theyll call me a fantasist, but the club did actually have a plan for the type of football & succession of managers. Lvg was supposed to pass on the baton to Giggsy & by that time, the new squad would have been very close to completion. , an ex player we could all identify with would be in charge , & he would have also served his time .The club just abandoned it when the going got tough. People decided to judge the idea in its entirety as a failure, way before it was complete. Strange really, because in the immediate aftermath of Saf it was generally accepted that the squad needed a complete rebuild& that this would not be a short procedure.
I accept that the football wasn't great, ( some of it was pretty damn good tho) but this type of journey is seldom easy. I was prepared to put up with the failings in the belief that , they would be improved upon , & that come fruition, we would have a young squad with the confidence to stand toe to toe , just like United teams of the past did & as an added bonus ,it would be lead out and took forward / improved by someone who loved the club and is steeped in our traditions.

Nobody wanted it, they all said it's a pipedream , that we need someone with gravitas, someone who brings instant success.... mourinho, ... & he would make us exciting again ( hmmm )

* I do believe Jose will bring some success, but I'm not convinced that it will be sustainable . I think the whole process will begin from scratch once he leaves. Groundhog day. New manager plays completely different style to previous , & wants new players to fit his style & so on, & so on.
Except a) there's no obvious overlap between LVG's philosophy and what most think Giggs' view on the game is, so there wouldn't be a seamless transition there either, b) if there was an overlap between LVG's philosophy and Giggs' ideas then Giggs' ideas probably weren't all that amazing anyway and c) the squad LVG was building wasn't particularly promising in and of itself.

Erlands Army

Supports
Chelsea

Big assumption that Giggs would make a good manager. IMO, unless he's willing to cut his teeth at a lower level he won't. He doesn't come across as a good communicator for a start, and would sink as an MU full time manager. My opinion of course!

frank lee madeer..

Big assumption that Giggs would make a good manager. IMO, unless he's willing to cut his teeth at a lower level he won't. He doesn't come across as a good communicator for a start, and would sink as an MU full time manager. My opinion of course!
There's no right or wrong in this, just opinions. My opinion is that it could work. On the who's who of football, his standing was arguably the equal of Peps, & not a million miles away from zidanes. Both of these were given chances, we don't have a Utd B team to cut your teeth at, so being an understudy is our only option in that respect.
Cutting your teeth at a lower club , 9 times out of 10 , you're set up to fail. Would pep or zidane have been able to work miracles at Bury? I very much doubt it. They learned most of what they needed to know in their playing careers, playing for the biggest clubs under the best managers...ala Giggs. ( that is invaluable, but massively overlooked ) People like Eddie Howe ( good young manager, who has cut his teeth ) haven't got that, & they'll never get it either, they have to read books or learn about it 2nd hand.

goin4glory

It's like a thread full of Donald Trumps. All yelling in the background about how great they could make it and how how they have the solutions despite having zero clue on how to do anything.

AshRK

I understand your logic but the rot set in the moment Moyes was handed the job of taking us forward. Had we straight away then given to jose or even lvg like manager things could have been much different . Again maybe blaming everything on one man aka Moyes is not correct but our club hierarchy took things for granted. Lack of planning cost us big.

Jose has his flaws and yes I am not a huge fan of short term success but we needed to give some stability before giving the reigns to giggsy or he could become another Moyes situation.

Rusholme Ruffian

If you think it’s necessary to win what I call minor trophies to get back up top - yes. But I don’t think it is. I think mounting an actual title challenge (even if we don’t win it) is much more important. That would be a far more trustworthy sign that we’re roughly where we need to be than picking up trophies, any kind of trophies, as though we’re paupers in the trophy department who desperately need to put ourselves on the map.
Well yes, of course mounting an actual title challenge is much more important. But given that we haven't been able to mount a title challenge (and let's be honest it was clear a good few months ago that we hadn't) then winning a European trophy is not a bad alternative. Nothing to do with being 'paupers in the trophy dept' - we're a football club that exists to primarily win trophies, you aim for the biggest prizes and if you miss out on them it seems weird to want to turn your nose up at the 'lesser' ones.

As for the other thing - well, it is my impression that posters who are, let’s say, overtly pro-Mourinho are more eager to point out the value (regarded as “success” as such) of winning trophies, regardless of the nature of these trophies. Perhaps I’m just paranoid - but I see a certain tendency there. Posters who are either skeptical of Mourinho or - let’s say - neutral about him personally, do not seem to value these achievements as much. See the Spurs discussion for relevant examples, i.e. what is better (or a better indication that you’re doing something right): A strong league campaign or what I keep calling minor trophies. For us, I mean. Not Spurs. But for us: Challenging for the league without winning it is downplayed by vocal Mourinho supporters, who keep saying “trophies, trophies - you haven’t won anything” as though this settles the argument. Which it does, sort of, for Spurs - because they haven’t won the league since Blanchflower’s days. But we aren’t Spurs. Our goal isn’t to fight our way into the so-called “elite”. Our goal is to use our vast resources to bounce back from a natural reaction after Fergie’s retirement - to what should be our position.
I could pull up multiple examples in this very thread of posters who are (and always have been) rabidly anti-Mourinho deliberately down-playing the value of winning the Europa League because they don't want to be in a position of having to give him any credit whatsoever. It's two sides of the same coin my friend.

Just seems extremely entitled to see United fans being so negative about potentially winning a trophy. We'd have bitten an arm off at the thought of something like this before Fergie came along.

Lentwood

I keep hearing this but name me ONE club where Jose left them worse off them when he took over?

rocks13

Well yes, of course mounting an actual title challenge is much more important. But given that we haven't been able to mount a title challenge (and let's be honest it was clear a good few months ago that we hadn't) then winning a European trophy is not a bad alternative. Nothing to do with being 'paupers in the trophy dept' - we're a football club that exists to primarily win trophies, you aim for the biggest prizes and if you miss out on them it seems weird to want to turn your nose up at the 'lesser' ones.

I could pull up multiple examples in this very thread of posters who are (and always have been) rabidly anti-Mourinho deliberately down-playing the value of winning the Europa League because they don't want to be in a position of having to give him any credit whatsoever. It's two sides of the same coin my friend.

Just seems extremely entitled to see United fans being so negative about potentially winning a trophy. We'd have bitten an arm off at the thought of something like this before Fergie came along.
We could also pull up plenty of examples of Mourinho himself downplaying the value of winning the Europa League.

Rusholme Ruffian

We could also pull up plenty of examples of Mourinho himself downplaying the value of winning the Europa League.
I rejoice in the fact that if we win on Wednesday night I will be genuinely over the moon, partly because it will mean that we have qualified for the CL and will make it more likely that we can attract our prime transfer targets, but also because I'll have watched us win a European trophy that fans from 95% of clubs can only dream of winning, and that will resonate (however quietly) across Europe.

You, however, will be torn - pleased on some level I'm sure, but also with the mantra 'it's just a second rate trophy that means feck all' pounding in your brain. You'll also be swearing at the TV at Mourinho doing whatever he'll be doing and cursing the fact that his plans have not been derailed.

I know which I'd rather.

Anyhoo, that's my last post of the day so feel free to go to town on me :)

Last edited:

SouthPredators4

I don't think it is right to compare Giggs with Pep. IIRC, Pep was making waves with the Barca youth team. His management, tactics, coaching was being lauded as groundbreaking and revolutionary and it impressed the management so much that they felt he would be the one to guide an emerging group of amazing talents.

The major difference is that Pep had worked with the players in the youth teams and were responsible for the formative years. He was successful immensely for a special group of players who were ready to make the step up. Zidane on the contrary, though a gamble, was only required to maintain a difficult dresssing room of worldclass players. Real Madrid needed somebody who is a players' manager yet boasting a pedigree whom they can look up to, respect and get along. That is incredibly rare and hence Ancelotti was a players favourite as he is generallly well-liked everywhere despite underwhelming in league successes.

Giggs however has shown nothing both in terms of youth team management, nor is the team strong enough like RM to be "self-sufficient". The club is in transition and would require an overhaul of players, culture, mentality, as well as tactical education. Giggs in his short stint as a manager had shown naivety and possess a self-entitlement attitude towards the managerial position. Giving him the job is cronynism at its finest and exactly the reason for our struggles in recent seasons and i for one was absolutely delighted that he got pushed out of OT. Can't wait for the day he got find out like Moyes.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

wolvored

And we hardly started the season terrifically. Adding another 5/6 players into that side isn't going to solve the problem.
So what would solve the problem? Playing the same lame players who for the past 3-4 years cant get us into the top 4? Of course we need a big change and over the next 2-3 windows get rid of all the dross.

wolvored

Except a) there's no obvious overlap between LVG's philosophy and what most think Giggs' view on the game is, so there wouldn't be a seamless transition there either, b) if there was an overlap between LVG's philosophy and Giggs' ideas then Giggs' ideas probably weren't all that amazing anyway and c) the squad LVG was building wasn't particularly promising in and of itself.
They also tried Giggs for the last 4 games of Moyes tenure, and they could of made that permanant or at least given him a season to try it. He had Butt Scholes and Neville to help him at the time as well. Obviously someone saw there was no mileage in it. Funnily enough 3 years on and Giggs is still managerless. Good players dont neccessarily make good managers.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So what would solve the problem? Playing the same lame players who for the past 3-4 years cant get us into the top 4? Of course we need a big change and over the next 2-3 windows get rid of all the dross.
So it's either changing half of our starting line up or changing no one, there's no possibility of adding say, 3 new players to the starting XI? This black and white thinking optimises this forum in recent seasons, there's no middle ground to be had.

wolvored

I rejoice in the fact that if we win on Wednesday night I will be genuinely over the moon, partly because it will mean that we have qualified for the CL and will make it more likely that we can attract our prime transfer targets, but also because I'll have watched us win a European trophy that fans from 95% of clubs can only dream of winning, and that will resonate (however quietly) across Europe.

You, however, will be torn - pleased on some level I'm sure, but also with the mantra 'it's just a second rate trophy that means feck all' pounding in your brain. You'll also be swearing at the TV at Mourinho doing whatever he'll be doing and cursing the fact that his plans have not been derailed.

I know which I'd rather.

Anyhoo, that's my last post of the day so feel free to go to town on me :)
100% spot on. Surely every Utd fan would want this

wolvored

So it's either changing half of our starting line up or changing no one, there's no possibility of adding say, 3 new players to the starting XI? This black and white thinking optimises this forum in recent seasons, there's no middle ground to be had.
I dont think 2-3 players would alter it that much from what we have already. We need wc or as near as dammit players to come in. A CB LB DM proper LW, 2 Strikers imo. I dont suppose we will get that, in one transfer window anyway. We can get away with RB maybe for a season. We may also have to replace De Gea, so as I said 3 players wont do it imo of course.

frank lee madeer..

They also tried Giggs for the last 4 games of Moyes tenure, and they could of made that permanant or at least given him a season to try it. He had Butt Scholes and Neville to help him at the time as well. Obviously someone saw there was no mileage in it. Funnily enough 3 years on and Giggs is still managerless. Good players dont neccessarily make good managers.
There was no mileage in it because the team needed rebuilding completely. Appointing Giggs then would've been beyond stupid. I don't remember zidane or pep having such a remit , they had great players at their clubs ? He'd have been taking over this year..now , after another season's building under lvg, that was the plan.
Anyway, that ship has sailed , but it's a totally different scenario to the one you mentioned.
Opinions are just that, opinions, I remember some people on here saying give it Warren Joyce before Giggs. Well he went and cut his teeth at a small club, & he found out what most managers at small clubs do, you're set up to fail. Just like Pep & zidane no doubt would if they'd had to take the Wigan job to get a foot on the managerial merrygoround.

wolvored

There was no mileage in it because the team needed rebuilding completely. Appointing Giggs then would've been beyond stupid. I don't remember zidane or pep having such a remit , they had great players at their clubs ? He'd have been taking over this year..now , after another season's building under lvg, that was the plan.
Anyway, that ship has sailed , but it's a totally different scenario to the one you mentioned.
Opinions are just that, opinions, I remember some people on here saying give it Warren Joyce before Giggs. Well he went and cut his teeth at a small club, & he found out what most managers at small clubs do, you're set up to fail. Just like Pep & zidane no doubt would if they'd had to take the Wigan job to get a foot on the managerial merrygoround.
Taking it a step further they could also of given it Giggs this season, but there was something there that they either didnt like or didnt deem him good enough for whatever reason. His demeanor didnt strike me as having any passion for the job either. Good managers/assistant managers wear their hearts on their sleeves, he seemed either overawed or maybe out of his depth as a No 2.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I dont think 2-3 players would alter it that much from what we have already. We need wc or as near as dammit players to come in. A CB LB DM proper LW, 2 Strikers imo. I dont suppose we will get that, in one transfer window anyway. We can get away with RB maybe for a season. We may also have to replace De Gea, so as I said 3 players wont do it imo of course.
I would have no problem with 5 players coming in, three starting XI (striker, DM and one other) and two sub, but Rojo/Bailly is a really good pairing, Herrera and Pogba are nailed on and Rashford, Martial, Mata, Mhkitaryan are fine to fill up the majority of the attacking positions.

Remember, players like Zlatan, Pogba and Mhikitaryan were top brass players when we signed them just last season and we still finished 6th. You're criminally undervaluing our players if you think we will need to change half of our starting XI to compete.

GK: De Gea, Romero, Pereira
FB: Valencia, Mitchell, Darmian, Young (+Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe)
CB: Rojo, Bailly, Blind, Smalling, Jones (+ Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe)
MF: Herrera, Fellaini, Pogba, Naby Keita, Carrick ( + McTominay, Willock)
FW: Lingard, Griezmann, Rashford, Martial, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Belotti ( + Harrop, Gomes)
I would go after Naby Keita & Griezmann and throw everything into it. Just those two could add the agility and skill that's needed to make us an attacking force capable of winning the league. I'd add Belotti because our depth in attack is thin.
Besides that I would allow the current team to roll on. I would play 4-3-3 just about every game which could mean I need another midfielder. Maybe someone like Dendoncker to add strength and steel.
I'd give the current team as much opportunity to evolve as possible rather than upset the apple cart.
I'm happy for Mitchell to become a contender for LB, not just because of his form at the weekend. I was already considering that as worthwhile. I think he and Fosu Mensah would give us powerful attacking LB options.
I couldn't see myself giving Shaw too much of a runout.
Good as Rooney has been for us I'd prefer to see Harrop or Gomes on the team sheet than him. If he wants to stay, I wouldn't give him much of a lookin.
I would play Griezmann in behind Rashford and Belotti. 2 up front, both capable of pulling to the flanks very quickly to launch attacks but they can both act as spearheads at a given moment.
I would be confident with something like this:
............................................De Gea..........................................................
Valencia...........Bailly.................Rojo/Blind.................Mitchell..............
..........Keita......................Herrera...............Pogba...................................
..........................................Griezmann......................................................
........................Rashford..................Belotti.............................................

2nd xi. :................................Romero.......................................................
Tuanzebe............Jones...................Smalling.................Fosu Mensah...
...........Fellaini....................Dendoncker................Lingard......................
.............................................Mkhitaryan .................................................
.............................Mata........................Martial.........................................
Spares: Carrick, Darmian, Young.
I guess I would sell Messrs. Rooney & Shaw. I can't see Zlatan getting back either, not at his age with multiple ligament ruptures.
To summarize, IN: Griezmann, Keita, Dendoncker, Belotti. OUT: Rooney, Zlatan, Shaw.

frank lee madeer..

Taking it a step further they could also of given it Giggs this season, but there was something there that they either didnt like or didnt deem him good enough for whatever reason. His demeanor didnt strike me as having any passion for the job either. Good managers/assistant managers wear their hearts on their sleeves, he seemed either overawed or maybe out of his depth as a No 2.
The something that was there, goes by the name of Jose mourinho.
Giggs was never gonna get it in that situation , because that's a big part of the reason lvg got sacked. ( I'm not saying lvg did great btw ) .

If Jose hadn't been sacked at Chelsea, there's a good chance lvg would have seen out his contract, well at least been given till Xmas on the back of the fa cup win, there were no other standout managerial candidates that know the prem other than Jose.

If that had happened, & lvg had kept his job & improved this season & then retired , Giggs would have been favourite for the job, as was the club's original intention. I'd have been happy to see how it went.
In that one ( the planned ) scenario, it may have worked, all the others, it probably wouldn't imo.

wolvored

I would have no problem with 5 players coming in, three starting XI (striker, DM and one other) and two sub, but Rojo/Bailly is a really good pairing, Herrera and Pogba are nailed on and Rashford, Martial, Mata, Mhkitaryan are fine to fill up the majority of the attacking positions.

Remember, players like Zlatan, Pogba and Mhikitaryan were top brass players when we signed them just last season and we still finished 6th. You're criminally undervaluing our players if you think we will need to change half of our starting XI to compete.
No I dont think so. you have to look where we have finished and our goal haul over the last couple of seasons so going into a campaign with Rashford Martial Mata & Miki as the main attack isnt going to get enough goals to finish top 4 never mind win the league. I agree with Bailly/Rojo and Herrera/Pogba, but due to how we suffer injuries we need a top 3rd option at CB and DM at least.

wolvored

The something that was there, goes by the name of Jose mourinho.
Giggs was never gonna get it in that situation , because that's a big part of the reason lvg got sacked. ( I'm not saying lvg did great btw ) .

If Jose hadn't been sacked at Chelsea, there's a good chance lvg would have seen out his contract, well at least been given till Xmas on the back of the fa cup win, there were no other standout managerial candidates that know the prem other than Jose.

If that had happened, & lvg had kept his job & improved this season & then retired , Giggs would have been favourite for the job, as was the club's original intention. I'd have been happy to see how it went.
In that one ( the planned ) scenario, it may have worked, all the others, it probably wouldn't imo.
Maybe, although I think the finishing worse second season and out of the top 4 in the league, would still have gotten VG the sack. If Mourinho hadnt have been available then who we would have gone for is anyones guess.

Sereques

Given im expecting a lot of joke replies, ill try be a bit serious:

If we dont make CL next season, then we obviously have Europa League next season. Then id say it would take 2 years and 3 windows.
I would sacrifice Europa League and play youth for most games (plus those who dont play the weekend games)

-look to buy an italian CB
-Look to buy one or two young Spanish midfielders (Sevilla, Atletic Club level). Maybe even a German one. (All technically good and no older than 25 - so three CMs)
-Look at using a 2 up front (Martial/Rashford or Rashford/Lingard like we did against Chelsea). Buy another established striker thats available. And one young prospect
-Look to see if theres a left footed left winger out there.

Sell Rooney, Jones.
Retire Carrick.

Since you plan to bin Europa means you are going to the premiership. I'm sorry, you can no longer win the premiership by playing two central midfielders. Let the 90s go in peace.

Sereques

Get rid of Rooney, Lingard, Darmien, Fellaini, Young, Smalling.

Carrick to retire, but remain as a youth coach should he want. Ibra walks away.

Put an arm around Mkhi, Shaw and Martial and give them plenty of game time.

Sign Varane, Lukaku, Bakayoka, Rodriquez.

Use Fosu-Mensah more.

Tactics: Aggressive press without ball, fluid fast attacking with the ball

Formation: 4 3 3
Liverpool were fecked in January with this tactics despite playing one game a week. The intensity of this league does not that support that IMO.

Sereques

First we need to create an identity in the team. I can't work out what we are trying to achieve as a squad. Take Zlatan's signing for example. Clearly a fantastic player but slows down any form of build up play. We then don't use wing play and crosses to use his aerial threat because we don't have natural wingers. Similarly Pogba thrived in a midfield 3 at Juventus, yet we try to put him a midfield 2 with defensive duties. It was a disaster at the beginning of the season.

Basically we need to stop buying names at overinflated prices, have an idea of formation and buy players based on it. Juventus sold Pogba and purchased Pjanic for much less and is probably as good a player.
Just because we have money shouldn't mean we should waste it.

Pogba did incredibly well for us and his stats were better than when he was at Juventus despite him technically moving to a new league and no preseason. Pogba was not placed on defensive duties, he was giving a free role. Pjanic is nowhere as good as him. Stoping listening to Shearer and the like.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Since you plan to bin Europa means you are going to the premiership. I'm sorry, you can no longer win the premiership by playing two central midfielders. Let the 90s go in peace.
Tell that to Leicester City...

Sereques

They finished with 86 points in the PL and you just said it could not work in the PL.
The only way Pochettino will continue to make Spurs relevant is to crash out of all other comps and put all his eggs in Premier League, hoping with luck, they will win it. If he dare commit to other comps along with premier league with that tactics, they will fail miserably and be done by February.

rocks13

The only way Pochettino will continue to make Spurs relevant is to crash out of all other comps and put all his eggs in Premier League, hoping with luck, they will win it. If he dare commit to other comps along with premier league with that tactics, they will fail miserably and be done by February.
They got to the FA cup semi-final this year.

Sylar

:lol: Well done on missing last season with Leicester.
Or even this year with Chelseas 343 having two central midfielders.

And its Premier League not Premiership. Look whos stuck in the 90s ;)

Nice try though :)

Camilo

Buy two new fullbacks who can actually provide a threat. We have zero width, and we'll continue playing narrow slow football without them.

New attacking option to replace Zlatan, new midfielder(s) to replace Carrick. A CB if get bored later in the window.