So then doom merchant... What would you do?

TheReligion

Abusive
There's an awful lot of negativity on the Caf these days, the vast majority non constructive. I understand expectations aren't being delivered but this thread isn't about that. This is for you to say, realistically, what you'd do with your club.

Jose Mourinho leaves and you take over. For arguments sake we don't have CL football.

You have the current squad and resources at your disposal. I want to hear how you'd put things right and how long it would take?

Tactics, transfers, strategy, objectives..

Sylar

Given im expecting a lot of joke replies, ill try be a bit serious:

If we dont make CL next season, then we obviously have Europa League next season. Then id say it would take 2 years and 3 windows.
I would sacrifice Europa League and play youth for most games (plus those who dont play the weekend games)

-look to buy an italian CB
-Look to buy one or two young Spanish midfielders (Sevilla, Atletic Club level). Maybe even a German one. (All technically good and no older than 25 - so three CMs)
-Look at using a 2 up front (Martial/Rashford or Rashford/Lingard like we did against Chelsea). Buy another established striker thats available. And one young prospect
-Look to see if theres a left footed left winger out there.

Sell Rooney, Jones.
Retire Carrick.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Hire Moyes as my assistant and buy Ross Barkley.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Post on the cafe about how great I am. The opinions there are the only ones worth anything.

AXVnee7

In all seriousness, you're not going to get many serious replies @TheReligion because the whingers complain, for the sake of it. The majority of them genuinely have no idea how to answer this question.

TheReligion

Abusive
Given im expecting a lot of joke replies, ill try be a bit serious:

If we dont make CL next season, then we obviously have Europa League next season. Then id say it would take 2 years and 3 windows.
I would sacrifice Europa League and play youth for most games (plus those who dont play the weekend games)

-look to buy an italian CB
-Look to buy one or two young Spanish midfielders (Sevilla, Atletic Club level). Maybe even a German one. (All technically good and no older than 25 - so three CMs)
-Look at using a 2 up front (Martial/Rashford or Rashford/Lingard like we did against Chelsea). Buy another established striker thats available. And one young prospect
-Look to see if theres a left footed left winger out there.

Sell Rooney, Jones.
Retire Carrick.
Interesting. So a move to 4-4-2?

As far fetched as this thread is it does have a purpose.

TheReligion

Abusive
In all seriousness, you're not getting to get many serious replies @TheReligion because the whingers complain, for the sake of it. The majority of them genuinely have no idea how to answer this question.
Yeah I know. I guess I'm just giving people the platform to go beyond just moaning and actually explain how they would improve us.

Doubt I'll get many takers. Maybe I'll tag a few of them.

Sylar

Interesting. So a move to 4-4-2?

As far fetched as this thread is it does have a purpose.
Yeah I get the idea behind the thread.

I dont think we can stick to just one formation. I dont think we did that under Fergie either. I think we need to use 4-3-3 in Europe and away from home against top6 teams.
but 4231 or 442 at home (rest of the games we play) to put us on the front foot.
I wouldnt change much of what Jose has done. I think as fans we would have more of an idea of what was needed from watching games (but obviously dont have the benefit of training and working with the players).
But I would look to bring in and use CBJ, TFM more so next season.
I do think weve looked good when we had 3 man midfield with herrera and pogba higher up meaning we can put more of a press on.

Against lower teams, having that extra man to attack and create mean we can get Pogba more on the ball in deeper positions with the ability to join in late in attacks.

The biggest problem is how poor our midfield is without Pogba and to a lesser extent Herrera.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Are we assuming we've won the EL or not? I'll go with won.

First recruit for areas we're lacking in. I'd sign a centre back, a winger, a defensive midfielder, a central midfielder, a winger and a striker. Let's say for arguments sake the following: Lindelof, Fabinho, Nainggolan, Douglas Costa, Belotti. I would then release or try to shift the following: Rooney, Smalling, Fellaini, Zlatan (soz) and Lingard. De Gea will probably leave around mid-late July so I'd try and sign a replacement while lying to the press that Romero is actually good enough to be number one.

Would head into the season with this:

-------------Romero*---------------
Valencia-Bailly--Lindelof----Shaw
-------------Fabinho---------------
--Nainggolan/Herrera---Pogba---
Costa----------------------Martial
--------------Belotti--------------

*couldn't come to an agreement with Atletico for Oblak and Navas turned us down to go to Roma. The bastard.

Take team to the champions league final where we come up against Cuneyt Cakir.

AndyJ1985

I'd clear out the remaining players from Ferguson's era, then I'd steal the scouting reports from Dortmund and Monaco and start rebuilding the team.

-------------Romero*---------------
Valencia-Bailly--Lindelof----Shaw
-------------Fabinho---------------
------Herrera---Pogba---
Costa----------------------Martial
--------------Belotti--------------
Not only a cracking team, but edging on the realistic side of things too.

Icardi would be my personal number one choice up top though.

liamp

Throw an inordinate amount of money at the best Sporting Director who'll come and let him do all the work.

Sp00ks11

Get rid of Rooney, Lingard, Darmien, Fellaini, Young, Smalling.

Carrick to retire, but remain as a youth coach should he want. Ibra walks away.

Put an arm around Mkhi, Shaw and Martial and give them plenty of game time.

Sign Varane, Lukaku, Bakayoka, Rodriquez.

Use Fosu-Mensah more.

Tactics: Aggressive press without ball, fluid fast attacking with the ball

Formation: 4 3 3

frank lee madeer..

I'd call them all soft cnuts & tell them I want them to fight tooth & nail like warriors for me. Then I'd send them out on to the pitch in a 9-1 formation. Cos I'm a warrior.

Bwuk

Our squad needs major surgery. We have too many players who all suit different systems.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I'd go back to what made us great under Ferguson. Match fixing and FA corruption

liamp

That is the last thing we need.
So after Mourinho leaves, and after a 4th managerial change in 5 years, the last thing we need is someone constant overseeing football operations?

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Why so?

Is it more fun to just moan and whinge without explaining what is wrong and how you'd remedy it?
Because I haven't seen anyone claim they know more than Mourinho or can do a better job than him like this thread seems to be implying.

But I;ll play anyway. Playing our best players would be a start at least, instead of the ones who work hardest. Also playing everyone in their right position would help too. And trying to score more than once a match. These are all things that Mourinho could easily do.

Then tranfers are a bit harder because I don't know enough about European football to know which available options would be best. But signing a couple of wingers, a striker and a defensive midfielder would be high on my list. Plus a couple of defenders. I'd look to offload Rooney, Young, Jones, Fellaini.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not only a cracking team, but edging on the realistic side of things too.

Icardi would be my personal number one choice up top though.
I just dont see buying half an new starting XI and hoping they gel as a realistic option.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The priority is improving the attack but I think the key to this is buying a competent and mobile defensive midfielder. This would allow Pogba and another centre mid or number 10 more freedom to get forward and support the attack, similarly the full backs.

A right winger that can consistently beat a man should be a priority and then we obviously need at least one striker.

We'll most likely need a new GK. Ideally another CM, LB, back up RB and CB. Not much to worry about really.