So this new kit deal then

Plugsy

If figures of £70m are openly being bandied about at this stage, I'd guess maybe we could be looking at around £80m

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Not sporty but they're one of the largest companies in the world at.....er...whatever it is they do. They've revenues of over $11bn with assets totalling more than $30bn, according to wikipedia. So us plebs may not have heard much about them but they're still a premier global brand.
Bit strange them being global, when no-one's ever heard of them. They must own other brands & Uniqlo is the Pimp Daddy..

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't think it will be Uniqlo, but only because I don't think they will pay. I don't believe the above counts for anything - if Uniqlo turned up with the biggest cheque, they'd get the deal. There's nothing prestigious or sporty about AON, is there?
Kind of different though, no? AON was a sponsor on the shirt, they weren't making the kit itself. They just payed to have their name on the front (and yeah AON is a huge company). In this case Uniqlo would actually be making the kit, which is really surprising.

My girlfriend works for the holding company that owns Uniqlo at the moment, they're a very fast growing company and have a lot, a lot of money. If they were aiming to get their foot in the door for football gear, then getting the Utd kit in a deal the whole world would talk about would be a very good strategy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Bit strange them being global, when no-one's ever heard of them. They must own other brands & Uniqlo is the Pimp Daddy..
I'm sure there are plenty of global companies that a bunch of football fans on the internet haven't heard of.

Fact is, they are huge, they've just not ventured into football yet.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Kind of different though, no? AON was a sponsor on the shirt, they weren't making the kit itself. They just payed to have their name on the front (and yeah AON is a huge company). In this case Uniqlo would actually be making the kit, which is really surprising.

My girlfriend works for the holding company that owns Uniqlo at the moment, they're a very fast growing company and have a lot, a lot of money. If they were aiming to get their foot in the door for football gear, then getting the Utd kit in a deal the whole world would talk about would be a very good strategy.
She sells hugs on the high street?

Plugsy

They're a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, I'm sure people have heard of them. More people have probably "heard of" Clare's Accessories, doesn't mean that brand is bigger.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Nah man, i'm in Ireland. 10 stores isnt very many tho!

More importantly, i thought the Nike deal was done & dusted. Bittuva surprise seeing this thread...
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry it wasn't clear: 10 is a small amount, and being so centered in London, I wouldn't have been surprised you didn't know them. They've been pushing their European expansion quite agressively though, so I guess there'll be a store sooner than later in Dublin at least.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
They're a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, I'm sure people have heard of them. More people have probably "heard of" Clare's Accessories, doesn't mean that brand is bigger.
"Clare's Accessories"?

Thats that sex-shop in Soho - they've some great gear... Got the woman a butt-plug in there for Valentine's Day, she loves it so much she wears it to work..

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry it wasn't clear: 10 is a small amount, and being so centered in London, I wouldn't have been surprised you didn't know them. They've been pushing their European expansion quite agressively though, so I guess there'll be a store sooner than later in Dublin at least.
It wont be Grafton Street (main high-price shopping street) when they find out the price of rents..

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You probably didnt notice because they're still as shit as when they were wearing Umbro...

Dont worry - Ireland are even shitter!
I actually thought a few of the Umbro England kits were really nice.

The one that just looked like a polo shirt, especially.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I actually thought a few of the Umbro England kits were really nice.

The one that just looked like a polo shirt, especially.
Umbro are a good brand. The logo is very basic tho, but its all about the quality.

Jesus, some of the tops they made for us were like Aran sweaters, feckin roastin & the high / tight neck made it even worse. Could never force myself to cut into the v-neck to alleviate the irritation on me throat tho..

Sir A1ex

In this case Uniqlo would actually be making the kit, which is really surprising.
True, but for all we hear from Nike and the likes about their incredible prowess in sportswear technology, it's essentially all marketing bollocks - any clothing manufacturer with the means to produce goods on an appropriate scale can make a perfectly good football shirt.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
True, but for all we hear from Nike and the likes about their incredible prowess in sportswear technology, it's essentially all marketing bollocks - any clothing manufacturer with the means to produce goods on an appropriate scale can make a perfectly good football shirt.
Oh I agree, and as I said Uniqlo are a reputable company and very good in their domain. I was just reacting to the claim of a virtually unknown (by many apparently) brand not just having their name on the shirt but actually manufacturing it.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Uniqlo are the bollox. Cheap as chips and always have exactly what you need.

Had no idea they were into sporting sponsorship but would be quite pleased if they got the nod for United. I probably wear at least one item of Uniqlo gear every day.
Same here. Their clothes are really comfortable as well. Plus if it means there's a greater chance of kagawa staying, because you know hi being Japanese and can be their brand's face, then I'm all for it!

Quite sick of nike to be honest.

Brophs

The One and Only
Piss off. Everything changed when Nike introduced Dri-Fit. EVERYTHING.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Given where they've opened their Paris store, I doubt rent is much of an obstacle for them! :lol:
Yeah they are on Oxford Street in London, so have the cash. Hate their clothes though. Dunno if they are made for small Asian people or what but as a taller bloke the fit of their stuff is absolutely shite.