So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I watched it many times and I can see why he was booked not that it was necessary to do. He got booked for his reaction after he got up off the floor/pitch. The card wasn't necessary but I can see why it was given
If he was the only one who did anything then yeah, a fair booking. But what he did was the least of what went on.

lex talionis

I wish i understood any rule. Offside rule, handball rule, yellow card, red card, all a mess.
Carroll ending Eriksens season with a cynical challenge from behind, with no chance of getting the ball, is more or less fine, a yellow perhaps. A hand touching someones neck for a second, call the cops!! Straight red, 3 match ban.
Agreed. Carroll went in violently, which should have been punished with a straight red.

mav_9me

It was clearly not a red card, not a strangle. Just hands on the collar. The crowd angle clearly shows that.

Good luck getting it overturned. As if the PL officials will accept an error.

el3mel

He was just giving the opposition a neck message to ease him a bit.

Very unfair red if you ask me. Game is rigged.

BarryWinks

So what would have happened if Case was on a yellow? Would he still have been redcarded?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No, he did:

But that's what I mean by the system's error — if the fouled player gets into the brawl and is visibly aggressive in his demeanor, he usually gets a yellow, which seems unproportionate.
What's he done there that warrants a yellow card? and for that matter what's anyone else (including Casemiro) done that warrants a card? The only offence is the original foul which was completely idiotic but nothing more.

This is the sort of thing that in other sports ends with the officials being investigated or suspended for manufacturing/making up things that never happened. They've manipulated a tiny piece of footage to make it look like what they wanted it to rather than officiate the game, and this is happening every fecking week now.

Its been normalised to have bent/dangerously incompetent officials in charge of Premier league games over the last 2 years now, because no matter how bad and obvious it gets no one seems to want to call it out for what it is.

If the game restarts there with no cards or a yellow for the foul and that's it, it's never mentioned again because nothing actually happened that was worth anyone getting upset about.

Strelok

The opposition player had next to no reaction to being "chocked". That is the biggest tell for me that there was no actual chocking involved. Either Casemiro had his hands on his neck with minimal force , or he had him by the collar.

That being said, I can understand why the ref gave a red. Maybe we have grounds to appeal this one but we probably won't.
Of course there was no choking. Casemiro was trying to calm Will Hughes down. The moment he let lose of him that fecker got straight back into the brawl. If he was choking him Hughes would have looked and reacted very differently. Who dumb enough to try to find another guy to fight but not the guy who was choking you?

I keep seeing posters saying you put your hands on another player's neck and it's automatically a red card. There's no rule like that afaik. Casemiro was banned for a violent conduct. The problem here is he was not violent at all. He was actually trying to stop the violence.

He was wrong to put his hands on Will Hughes' neck (or collar or whatever) but considering he didn't choke him at all and his intention was only to calm Hughes down and stop the brawl a yellow is more than enough imo.

lex talionis

Antony acting dead in the ditch ….then suddenly springs into life :lol:
Yep, that was cringey. I like Antony and I see improvement, but he’s got to take this while football thing more seriously. A relevant point here because it was his springing to life that started the melee (yes, a poor challenge by Schlupp) which led to what we’re discussing here. That can’t happen again.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I mean if a player gets sent off against us for that I'd be embarrassed. Especially if it helped us win the game. It'd feel like we'd cheated or someone had cheated for us.

Rusholme Ruffian

This was not getting out of control until Mr. chest bump came rushing in. Antony is a hothead we have to keep an eye on.
There are two incidents in this melee that could be defined as violent - the original smash into the hoardings, and Ayew on Fred. I wonder if there's any room in the laws of the game for them to give a 1 or 2 match ban instead of 3, cos it's surely very hard to argue that what Casemiro did was violent conduct when you watch the whole incident rather than a handpicked slow motion clip chosen for max drama. Man VAR is really shit - at least when it was the ref's final say you only had to cope with the bad decisions of one guy, now you have a whole panel of the cnuts.

Wilt

Yep, that was cringey. I like Antony and I see improvement, but he’s got to take this while football thing more seriously. A relevant point here because it was his springing to life that started the melee (yes, a poor challenge by Schlupp) which led to what we’re discussing here. That can’t happen again.
Yep

TBH if Antony wasn’t a Utd player he’d be top of my “what a cnut” list

Tapori

What's he done there that warrants a yellow card? and for that matter what's anyone else (including Casemiro) done that warrants a card? The only offence is the original foul which was completely idiotic but nothing more.

This is the sort of thing that in other sports ends with the officials being investigated or suspended for manufacturing/making up things that never happened. They've manipulated a tiny piece of footage to make it look like what they wanted it to rather than officiate the game, and this is happening every fecking week now.

Its been normalised to have bent/dangerously incompetent officials in charge of Premier league games over the last 2 years now, because no matter how bad and obvious it gets no one seems to want to call it out for what it is.

If the game restarts there with no cards or a yellow for the foul and that's it, it's never mentioned again because nothing actually happened that was worth anyone getting upset about.
That is damning evidence.
Should be overturned. They literally embrace

Tapori

There are two incidents in this melee that could be defined as violent - the original smash into the hoardings, and Ayew on Fred. I wonder if there's any room in the laws of the game for them to give a 1 or 2 match ban instead of 3, cos it's surely very hard to argue that what Casemiro did was violent conduct when you watch the whole incident rather than a handpicked slow motion clip chosen for max drama. Man VAR is really shit - at least when it was the ref's final say you only had to cope with the bad decisions of one guy, now you have a whole panel of the cnuts.
VAR is not shit imo, it's just that our referees sadly are not up to top standards

Longshanks

It was handbags all round, lots of pushing and shoving usual nonsense. I don't see a red card there personally, it looks alot worse than what it was in slow motion and still Images. Stuff like that needs to played back to ref in real time so they can make a far more measured opinion.

If he actually had a hold of him by his throat than yeah sure Red card but he dosent he's got hold of his collar. It's a yellow at best and on that premise VAR should not of got involved.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Spot on

phelans shorts

There’s no problem with a player reacting to a challenge like Schlupp’s, particularly when he kept his head. In no world is any of this on Antony.

Abraxas

Whether it was technically red or not it was brain-dead from Casemiro to even give the ref an opportunity with us 2-0 up and cruising. A player of his experience should not be giving us the potential for the ref to intervene from something that isn't even a challenge within the course of the game. Totally stupid and disappointing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Embarrassingly for a lot of our fans here...Richard fecking Keyes and Andy Gray have both said it was never a red.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
I'd love to see what Will Hughes has to say. No skin off his nose to tell the truth and us having Casemeiro for games against Leeds and Leicester who are direct rivals for positions in the league doesn't help Palace at all. If he says openly that there was no force exerted against his neck, was just holding him by collar, and that gets tacked to an appeal, how do the refs ignore that?

Chumpsbechumps

Refs have been so bad against United, particularly since the city game. That foul against Sabitzer putting Rashford through had me raging aswell. And then he adds another minute and a half injury time to 7 minutes of injury time.

Pretty much every game since city, VaR and refs have been making muck decisions against United.

DON’T PANIC ™

I'd love to see what Will Hughes has to say. No skin off his nose to tell the truth and us having Casemeiro for games against Leeds and Leicester who are direct rivals for positions in the league doesn't help Palace at all. If he says openly that there was no force exerted against his neck, was just holding him by collar, and that gets tacked to an appeal, how do the refs ignore that?
Because there’s no such thing as common sense anymore.

David Bartley

Not anywhere near violent conduct for me. Looked like he was just trying to stop Hughes from assaulting someone
I thought so too. And if that was the case - and only the irritating hughes knows what he was intending to do if he hadn't been stopped - then Case got a red card because he saved hughes from getting one.

And when did the law change so that headbutting a player was no longer a red card?

phelans shorts

Because it’s irrelevant. You can’t but your hands around somebody’s throat regardless of force exerted. Ludicrous this needs stating. The most obvious red and ban you’ll see all season.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
I'd say
yellow to the palace guy for shoving Antony;
red and three games ban for Antony;
red and two games ban for Case;
red and two games ban for Ayew;
yellow for everyone else in the brawl.

Also, change the rules to
red and at least two games ban for everyone in a brawl.

5M fee for clubs involved in a brawl, per brawl, per player involved.

cyberman

I'd say
yellow to the palace guy for shoving Antony;
red and three games ban for Antony;
red and two games ban for Case;
red and two games ban for Ayew;
yellow for everyone else in the brawl.

red and at least two games ban for everyone in a brawl.

5M fee for clubs involved in a brawl, per brawl, per player involved.
What did Antony do?!