So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Dion

Happened to Xhaka recently,
So you agree he’s not choking him then and he’s pulling him by the neck.

I feel it’s by the shirt but fair enough.
Sure if that's the description you're comfortable with, which is a red card.

my point is you can't hold a shirt without holding the neck if the thumb and fingers are on either side of someone's neck. To exert any force on a shirt in that situation you HAVE to also exert the same force on the thing you're pushing the shirt against (which is his neck).

Jack-C20

Was working with a mate today who listens to Talksport and feck me, the way they were talking I assumed Casemiro sat on Hughes chest and choked him out for a good couple of minutes.

I can see why he got a red but I can also see the arguments for it being a yellow. More and more recently I’ve seen hands to the face go unpunished.

Also does someone who’s just been choked hug the guy who choked him 5 seconds later usually? Will be interesting if it’s appealed.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Stupid to even give the officials a decision to make.

TheReligion

Abusive
Happened to Xhaka recently,

Sure if that's the description you're comfortable with, which is a red card.

my point is you can't hold a shirt without holding the neck if the thumb and fingers are on either side of someone's neck. To exert any force on a shirt in that situation you HAVE to also exert the same force on the thing you're pushing the shirt against (which is his neck).
I’ll ask again. do you think he’s choking him? Yes or no.

Dion

Bullshit. He is pushing him back pressing on the collarbones. Literally holding him at arm's length, never putting any pressure on the throat. Have you ever been choked? You would go in distress immediately. Hughes didn't experience anything like that and wasn't even asking for red card, turned around and jumped into the brawl a second later.

Sir, I don't know where you think the collar bones are, but I think you need to revisit anatomy, or see a doctor :D

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It was a poor match from Marriner, but it was the foul he gave for the clean Sabitzer tackle that really annoyed me, rather than the red card. You put your hands on another player in that context you’re always going to be walking a tightrope, especially with a ref like that.
I agree. The foul on Sabitzer, which basically prevented a 2v1 counter, was a bad call and, had CP found the equalizer afterwards, it would have been a criminally bad call.

You can also add the penalty, despite it being given in the end. Mariner (and the assistant on the far side) had a clear view of the incident and it should have gone to VAR only for a quick confirmation. One of the most blatant handballs you'll see this season.

When i saw the replay, i knew that he would send Casemiro off. We have to be more streetwise on such occasions. We had a referee who wouldn't even give us fever throughout the game, let alone leave us off the hook in a situation like this. Not only that, but we're two goals up and the game's already put to bed. Why get into a brawl? And you can't get it out of my mind that the Palace players were sensing that Mariner would do them a favour or two, if they gave him a decision to make.

Dion

I’ll ask again. do you think he’s choking him? Yes or no.
That's an odd thing to do, since I've already said I'm happy with either description. I thought we'd agreed on "pulling by the neck"?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
This is my tin hat moment but here it comes. As soon as VAR spent 2 minutes on checking the most blatant of pens i knew we were in trouble. Mariner gave us nothing all game and gave Palace even perfectly clean tackles as our fouls.

imho the initial foul on Antony was a red (Violent conduct).
Casemiro red was red, the footage made it look worse than it actually was.

casemiro will get a 4 match ban. Mark my words.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's an odd thing to do, since I've already said I'm happy with either description. I thought we'd agreed on "pulling by the neck"?
Just not sure why you I couldn’t get a straight answer on a relative simple question.

Fair enough. It seems you agree.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I haven't read the thread. So bearing this in mind I'd say it wouldn't have been a red if seen in isolation, but taking the whole scenario into consideration, someone had to be punished and a red for Case seems reasonable. I might also be completely wrong.

Dion

Has this ever happened before Casemiro's red? or are you just making things up?

This is not as severe, but not even a foul here:

I can't see that video I'm afraid.

Xhaka was sent off for holding someone by the throat not too long ago though if you're looking for examples.

Bratt

Come on guys seriously it’s a red all day long
Don’t agree.
If it was a separate incident on the pitch, maybe, but the ref has to consider all the circumstances.
It’s a "mass fight" where you could have given somewhere around three-four reds and probably double the yellows if these were separate incidents.
It looks bad on still pictures and slow motion, but real time video doesn’t look like strangling at all to me.
That being said, still a stupid place to put your hands, as you should know by doing so it’s a good chance of getting a red card.

Dion

Well it’s quite a big difference that’s why it’s being discussed?

Ones violent conduct and 3 games the other isn’t
This is where you're wrong. The rules are very clear.

Intentional contact with the head/face when not challenging for the ball is an automatic red card for violent conduct unless the contact is negligible. Which obviously given Casemiro is trying to prevent Hughes moving somewhere (and succeeding) means it obviously wasn't negligible.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is where you're wrong. The rules are very clear.

Intentional contact with the head/face when not challenging for the ball is an automatic red card for violent conduct unless the contact is negligible. Which obviously given Casemiro is trying to prevent Hughes moving somewhere (and succeeding) means it obviously wasn't negligible.
Depends if he’s grabbed his neck or his shirt?

Dion

Don’t agree.
If it was a separate incident on the pitch, maybe, but the ref has to consider all the circumstances.
It’s a "mass fight" where you could have given somewhere around three-four reds and probably double the yellows if these were separate incidents.
It looks bad on still pictures and slow motion, but real time video doesn’t look like strangling at all to me.
That being said, still a stupid place to put your hands, as you should know by doing so it’s a good chance of getting a red card.
Sorry, but isn't that just an argument that the referee should have sent off Ayew as well, not just Casemiro?

The rules on deliberate contact on the head/face outside of challenging for the ball are very clear. It's a red card for violent conduct unless the contact is "negligible" (and Casemiro is literally holding him, so it obviously is more than negligible even if it falls well short of strangulation).

Dion

Depends if he’s grabbed his neck or his shirt?
Which is why I showed you where his thumbs were, because it's impossible to grab a shirt without grabbing the neck at the same time in that situation.

Just try grabbing a shirt without closing your hand so your fingers and thumb come together, just once. You'll see how ridiculous it is.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Sir, I don't know where you think the collar bones are, but I think you need to revisit anatomy, or see a doctor :D
Or maybe you need to stop posting still images and watch the video from different angles. But even in this image you can see that it is his palms that are pressing against Hughes' collarbone. Casemiro's fingers are wide open and NOT wrapped around his throat. This is not what choking looks like and none of Hughes's reactions indicate he was choked at any time. Somebody was pushing Fred this way a second before, but VAR decided to highlight this meaningless moment.

If anybody had to get a red, the right decision in all of this would have been to give Schlupps a red card for a cynical shove and instigating a brawl. Once the brawl started, zooming into some bullshit still images is not the right thing to do. Neither is badmouthing Casemiro, who has been our best player all season and was standing up for his teammate, as any leader would have done. Stop overthinking this, maybe?

Dion

Or maybe you need to stop posting still images and watch the video from different angles. But even in this image you can see that it is his palms that are pressing against Hughes' collarbone. Casemiro's fingers are wide open and NOT wrapped around his throat. This is not what choking looks like and none of Hughes's reactions indicate he was choked at any time. Somebody was pushing Fred this way a second before, but VAR decided to highlight this meaningless moment.
If you'd even bothered to read the comments you were replying to you'd see this exchange was a reply to videos.

Again, that's not where your collar bones are. His palms are on the side of his neck.

Somebody was pushing Fred this way a second before, but VAR decided to highlight this meaningless moment.
Ayew, who should also have been sent off.

If anybody had to get a red, the right decision in all of this would have been to give Schlupps a red card for a cynical shove and instigating a brawl. Once the brawl started, zooming into some bullshit still images is not the right thing to do. Neither is badmouthing Casemiro, who has been our best player all season and was standing up for his teammate, as any leader would have done. Stop overthinking this, maybe?
I don't disagree Schlupps should have gotten a red card. That's not relevant to being contended. Acknowledging a player made a mistake and got sent off for it isn't "badmouthing" someone, and pretending they didn't just because they played well is childing. Both statements are true. Casemiro has been our best player and yes he did deserve to be sent off, just like he deserved his yellow vs CP last time out.

I'll be honest, this kind of "don't be mean to someone, they're playing well" childish response doesn't fill me with confidence that you're worth replying to.

lysglimt

Scout
It's impossible to say how hard he held - but by putting his arms up there, he gave the ref no choice. Red for me.

RedDevilQuebecois

The sanitizing process in the beautiful game for the last 10-15 years has been a disaster. THIS is what a real chokehold is.

Moriarty

Sir, I don't know where you think the collar bones are, but I think you need to revisit anatomy, or see a doctor
In old Mancunium, as it was, gentlemen would prevent their shirt collars from curling by sliding flat thin pieces of plastic called collar bones into the little pocket on the inside of the collar. Perhaps Cas wanted to see if Hughes was wearing any. But he didn't grab his clavicle.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don’t agree.
You contradict yourself
You put your hands up like that it’s a red card all day long regardless of anything else. Those are the rules

Brophs

The One and Only
Interesting that he was advising Antony to use his head not knowing he was about to get a red card.
“You’ve got to compress the windpipe and cut off the oxygen to the brain.”

WyoManU

I'm surprised that many of you think that is a red card. Watching it in real time it doesn't look like anything. Hughes just walked away from the incident, not even bothered by it, and the refs judge it as violent conduct? The bottom line is that Casemiro didn't choke him, he held him away with most of the force on his collar rather than the neck. Disgraceful call for me, made all the worse by the fact that VAR called down to have Mariner look at the incident. Silly time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm surprised that many of you think that is a red card. Watching it in real time it doesn't look like anything. Hughes just walked away from the incident, not even bothered by it, and the refs judge it as violent conduct? The bottom line is that Casemiro didn't choke him, he held him away with most of the force on his collar rather than the neck. Disgraceful call for me, made all the worse by the fact that VAR called down to have Mariner look at the incident. Silly time.
By the laws of the game it’s a red, you simply can’t put your hands up there. Regardless of all the other stuff which isn’t relevant. He put his hands up, therefore it’s a red. That’s the laws of the game.