So we didn't sign a central midfielder

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can I get a show of hands of those that said we definitely would? ;)

tbf though had it not been for Cleverley who was very much a question mark prior to 4 weeks ago I guess we could of quite possibly bent over backwards to bring that bloke from Inter in

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
The real muppet in me hopes to see, in 3 years time, a world-class midfield group of Anderson, Cleverley, Pogba and Morrison (and maybe Tunnicliffe as well?)

feck Wesley Sneijder.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Cleverly's emergence and Anderson re-emergence made it an easy decision for the club and even fans.

AlwaysRedwood

I always thought Cleverly was going to be the answer. Still wanted what's his face from Inter though.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Sneijder likely would have been a pretty short term solution given the talent we have blossoming in the CM position. Cleverley is already showing what he can do, and the likes of Pogba and Morrison look very promising, as does Tunnicliffe. All offer something different. That's not even taking into account Anderson who is still young, and our more experienced players in Fletch, Carrick, Giggs etc.. We are not near as bad off in CM as some make out.

Had we signed Sneijder for £30m, I'm sure many would have been happy. But it would also hinder the chances of Pogba, Morrison etc. coming through, as well as possibly Cleverley, so it's not really worth the chance. We are better served to wait a couple years to see how things start to pan out. A high profile, big money transfer like Sneijder would be hard to justify given our situation.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
feck Wesley we got Cleverley

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I was a Modric muppet. Once it became clear we weren't going to get him I wasn't too keen on Wesley.

I thought we'd sign a young 'one for the future' type midfielder though.

manusteve

Sneijder likely would have been a pretty short term solution given the talent we have blossoming in the CM position. Cleverley is already showing what he can do, and the likes of Pogba and Morrison look very promising, as does Tunnicliffe. All offer something different. That's not even taking into account Anderson who is still young, and our more experienced players in Fletch, Carrick, Giggs etc.. We are not near as bad off in CM as some make out.

Had we signed Sneijder for £30m, I'm sure many would have been happy. But it would also hinder the chances of Pogba, Morrison etc. coming through, as well as possibly Cleverley, so it's not really worth the chance. We are better served to wait a couple years to see how things start to pan out. A high profile, big money transfer like Sneijder would be hard to justify given our situation.
SAF has ALWAYS encouraged and played youngsters. The fact that he has played Anderson and Cleverley at the start of the season, and mentioned Pogba too, shouldn't disguise the probability that United were strongly interested in each of Sneijder, Nasri AND Modric. It would appear that we didn't sign them because the first two wanted excessive wages and Modric wanted Chelsea.

Personally, I don't think Nasri and Modric are world-class but Sneijder really is. Now I agree that if his wage demands could not be accommodated, then the correct thing WAS NOT to sign him. But thinking that Sneijder would not add more class to United's midfield is ludicrous.

And saying Sneijder is a "pretty short term solution" is ridiculous. The guy is 27, not 37! No one can be sure how long the likes of Cleverley and Pogba will play for United.

And saying that Sneijder would "hinder" the chances of younger players is too simplistic, especially where the older player is superior. By your argument, you would never have Giggs in the team again?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Do we all expect Cleverley and Anderson to have more starts than Giggs, Carrick and Fletcher?

I sure do. Giggs and Fletcher will surely get some big games, but I wouldn't want to stunt the development of our young midfielders.

I'm still not sure if Sneijder would be a better partner for Anderson, or that we would be better off with him in the hole and Rooney up front.

BahamaRed

Legend
After seeing Cleverley over the last few games I am no longer concerned about central midfield. His confidence is amazing at his age and status. A future star I have no doubt.

Urbanned

I still maintain that the only midfielder we should be signing is Miralem Pjanic. Young, very good potential and will be one of the best in the world one day.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
SAF has ALWAYS encouraged and played youngsters. The fact that he has played Anderson and Cleverley at the start of the season, and mentioned Pogba too, shouldn't disguise the probability that United were strongly interested in each of Sneijder, Nasri AND Modric. It would appear that we didn't sign them because the first two wanted excessive wages and Modric wanted Chelsea.

Personally, I don't think Nasri and Modric are world-class but Sneijder really is. Now I agree that if his wage demands could not be accommodated, then the correct thing WAS NOT to sign him. But thinking that Sneijder would not add more class to United's midfield is ludicrous.

And saying Sneijder is a "pretty short term solution" is ridiculous. The guy is 27, not 37! No one can be sure how long the likes of Cleverley and Pogba will play for United.

And saying that Sneijder would "hinder" the chances of younger players is too simplistic, especially where the older player is superior. By your argument, you would never have Giggs in the team again?
It sounded like we had the desire to get Sneijder, and that he would come. And we sure as hell had the money.

It sounds like it was a matter of not throwing off the wage structure. It may sound like a small thing, but discipline and parity among the players is huge, and wages and the give-and-take between player and club are all part of that.

It does seem brutal in the short term not to take Sneijder for a few million more if we're posting record profits. I'm a huge Cleverley fan, so I'm probably bit biased here, but I love the way we develop youth more than I love the idea of adding Sneijder to our squad.

Urbanned

Do tell, what's he like?
Plays at Lyon, exactly the same role as Gourcouff. Can spearhead attack, make runs etc but is best as an advanced playmaker, imo. Got a great shot on him and is useful on freekicks, too. Might be too late to get him cheaply now as Gourcouff hasn't really shined at Lyon so Pjanic will be getting more attention. Has dropped off the radar lately because he was benched as Lyon had signed Gourcouff, but he only needs gametime to develop into a fine player.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Plays at Lyon, exactly the same role as Gourcouff. Can spearhead attack, make runs etc but is best as an advanced playmaker, imo. Got a great shot on him and is useful on freekicks, too. Might be too late to get him cheaply now as Gourcouff hasn't really shined at Lyon so Pjanic will be getting more attention. Has dropped off the radar lately because he was benched as Lyon had signed Gourcouff, but he only needs gametime to develop into a fine player.
I feel awful breaking this to you, but...

Roma swoop for Lyon midfielder Miralem Pjanic - ESPN Soccernet

Ferguson

I thought a central midfielder would come to the club without a doubt.

And frankly it is clear that the club were looking for a central midfielder all summer.

The lesson is not what idiots people are who thought a central midfielder was coming, but rather how hard it is to find that central midfielder.

With Anderson, Pogba, Cleverley and Tunnicliffe already in the fold, there is no need for bringing in young talent like the Steven Defours or Hamsiks of the world.

With Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs and Park around, there is no need for simply making up the numbers with a veteran top class player.

Only an exceptional player who can bring a new dimension to United would have done. Unfortunately such players cost money and/or must be compensated for coming to rainy Manchester, and in the end the price for Nasri or Sneijder or Modric proved to be prohibitive for the expected return.

Cleverley's performances at the end of the summer may have changed thinking inside the club as well as among the fans. It is easier not to splash the cash when you see a young player grasping his opportunity.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
:lol: seems like I wasn't following deadline day as well as I thought I was! It's a good move for him, he'll get games at Roma in a strengthened side. I'd suggest everyone keeps an eye out for him, he'll go places.
Playing so advanced I'm surprised he didn't get more than 4 goals and 2 assists in 39 games in all comps last season in France.

I'll try to keep an eye on him.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
:lol: seems like I wasn't following deadline day as well as I thought I was! It's a good move for him, he'll get games at Roma in a strengthened side. I'd suggest everyone keeps an eye out for him, he'll go places.
It will be an interesting one to follow, remember a lot of positive things being said about him not too long ago.

In answer to the thread - as potentially short sighted and emotionally driven as it may be, I hauled myself off the Sneijder bandwagon after seeing how well Anderson and Cleverley have done together thus far. Got to give that a chance to progress.

Urbanned

Playing so advanced I'm surprised he didn't get more than 4 goals and 2 assists in 39 games in all comps last season in France.

I'll try to keep an eye on him.
If I remember correctly, last season most of his appearances came either off the bench or played out of position. Puel even tried Gourcouff and Pjanic together in a midfield 2 at one point, which didn't work well. I'd recommend placing more empathis on his stats for the 09/10 season, which was when he widely came to prominence as a big talent

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
11 and 10 in 53 is pretty good, Lord knows Roma need some talent. I miss those guys, but not the stories of Reds stabbed in Rome. Kharma is a bitch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Do we all expect Cleverley and Anderson to have more starts than Giggs, Carrick and Fletcher?
Giggs will be 38 this year so yes, Fletch is a DM so I don't know. Carrick hasn't not really delivered at a consistent level for years and he's slow so HELL YES.

devilish

It sounded like we had the desire to get Sneijder, and that he would come. And we sure as hell had the money.

It sounds like it was a matter of not throwing off the wage structure. It may sound like a small thing, but discipline and parity among the players is huge, and wages and the give-and-take between player and club are all part of that.

It does seem brutal in the short term not to take Sneijder for a few million more if we're posting record profits. I'm a huge Cleverley fan, so I'm probably bit biased here, but I love the way we develop youth more than I love the idea of adding Sneijder to our squad.
It should be a lesson for the club not to aim too high in terms of transfers. Whether we like it or not we can't afford certain type of players. Lets hope that the talented but inconsistent Brazilian and the player loaned to Wigan last year can do the trick not only against Ramsey and Livermore but also against the true giants in CM. I have faith in both Cleverley and Anderson but under such conditions (we're relying so much on them) does look a big gamble.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If ferguson can one way or another stick with Cleverly and ando for 10-15 matches in a row I think they could gel and become quite a strong pair.

It's the constant chopping and changing that will mess it up.
So far after 3 games the 2 lads look like they are 1st choice and are looking strong!
Long may it continue and hopefully wellbeck will be back fit soon as the 3 of those lads with young and Rooney look class together

devilish

If ferguson can one way or another stick with Cleverly and ando for 10-15 matches in a row I think they could gel and become quite a strong pair.

It's the constant chopping and changing that will mess it up.
So far after 3 games the 2 lads look like they are 1st choice and are looking strong!
Long may it continue and hopefully wellbeck will be back fit soon as the 3 of those lads with young and Rooney look class together
At this point in time SAF must rely on Anderson-Cleverley while adding Fletcher to them when more steel is needed. They are actually the only two players who may sort the mess in our CM at long term.

fatboy

With Cleverly and Anderson, we seem to have discarded the use of a holding midfielder. However I'd like to see how we fare in away games when teams line up two rows of defensive players across the field. For one period in the WBA match after our first goal, we weren't doing particularly well.

We've started the season with clearly in-form central midfielders, it will be interesting to see if Fletcher and Carrick matches their level when they get their chance. I'd say we're just about okay in terms of squad depth.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
we really should have got a central midfielder.
in a 4-3-3 we will really struggle. rooney will have to come deep, when he will be our only striker up top.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
in a 4-3-3 we will really struggle. rooney will have to come deep, when he will be our only striker up top.
I don't think we will use 4-3-3 much, if at all, this season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It should be a lesson for the club not to aim too high in terms of transfers. Whether we like it or not we can't afford certain type of players. Lets hope that the talented but inconsistent Brazilian and the player loaned to Wigan last year can do the trick not only against Ramsey and Livermore but also against the true giants in CM. I have faith in both Cleverley and Anderson but under such conditions (we're relying so much on them) does look a big gamble.
As long as it doesn't disrupt the squad, I don't mind us flirting around, stirring up interest and seeing if we can get a play to lower his salary demands to play for us. We like the publicity as much as Sneijder did, me thinks.

But I agree with what you're saying, I always remind myself when we're linked with an established Dutch, German, Brazilian, or Spanish player that we have never brought one in [that I can think of anyway]. Doesn't mean it won't happen ever, but it does make for a good first line of bullshit defense.

Especially considering we have some serious midfield talent coming through behind Cleverley and Anderson in Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Morrison and Petrucci.

Forever Red

Sniejder realised that he probably wouldn't get a game im our midfield at the moment so took the easy option and stayed with Inter . feck him, if he's not prepared to walk over hot coals to play for United then feck him :devil:

devilish

As long as it doesn't disrupt the squad, I don't mind us flirting around, stirring up interest and seeing if we can get a play to lower his salary demands to play for us. We like the publicity as much as Sneijder did, me thinks.

But I agree with what you're saying, I always remind myself when we're linked with an established Dutch, German, Brazilian, or Spanish player that we have never brought one in [that I can think of anyway]. Doesn't mean it won't happen ever, but it does make for a good first line of bullshit defense.

Especially considering we have some serious midfield talent coming through behind Cleverley and Anderson in Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Morrison and Petrucci.
The only renowned world class player we had ever signed was JSV who signed with us to avoid a rumored long term football ban (during that time it was rumoured to be around 2 yrs) due to the false double citizenship scandals. Its really a waste of time to insist on these type of players. They are above our wage structure standards and since they can play anywhere across Europe they won't reduce their salary. Time would have been better spent if we aimed for players in our league.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Never a question mark for me

Can I get a show of hands of those that said we definitely would? ;)

tbf though had it not been for Cleverley who was very much a question mark prior to 4 weeks ago I guess we could of quite possibly bent over backwards to bring that bloke from Inter in

I'm always right

Cleverly's emergence and Anderson re-emergence made it an easy decision for the club and even fans.
I have to put my hands up, I said "we'd be crazy not to sign a midfielder", however, due to the form of these two I was actually not too bothered yesterday, obviously I still wanted up to bring someone in but at the back of my mind I was thinking.... a big buy could leave Tom out in the cold, do we really want that.