So, what do you think of our coaching staff?

passing-wind

Absolutely garbage. Why haven't we controlled a game since March ? Having more possession isn't controlling a game Solskjaer said this himself, we cannot break teams down due to a rubbish coaching collective. Carrick deserves much criticism what has he done to have any influence on the team ? McKenna does have some credentials so I can perhaps see his time here being justified but the entire management from Ole down is diabolical.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
@pocco basically uses the Telegraph and Daily Mail to say players aren't happy with coaching and have doubts over McKenna. Apparently Ole doesn't get involved with training very much and leaves it to Carrick, Phelan and McKenna.
Cheers.

Regarding your post in the other thread, what exactly have you heard about Ole getting sacked? If you don't mind me asking.

ryansgirl

That article doesn't seem merely tripe for the tabloid readers. It has been noted among fans that the coaching staff are lacking in certain areas and we don't have the type of coaches such as Carlos, Rene and Rui who were around when United won silverware and were much better tactically.

A club of Manchester United's caliber can't do better than Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna as coaches? I like the idea of giving somebody like McKenna a chance with the first squad but if in fact his style is making first team players uncomfortable and they feel it is not up to their level, then yes it is a problem. This article seems to have the ring of truth. If fans are seeing it then definitely some players are feeling it.

I am starting to sympathise with Paul Pogba - something I didn't think I'd do much as I like him and respect his talent and achievements. It's easy to see why he would feel Manchester United have no ambition and are going nowhere especially if the coaches aren't up to scratch as could very well be the case.

Bestietom

Looks like someone just wanting to write something about us again, to sell papers. I'm sure we would have heard more about this if true and Ole would have taken it up with McKenna and the other coaches.
It was only a couple of weeks back, the same newspapers were reporting that Ole was training Martial and Rashford on their finishing.
As regards to the planning of teamplay and tactics, I'm sure that Ole and Phelan take the reins. We just haven't got the players here now and should have replaced Lukaku, Herrera, and Fellaini.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Alex ferguson disciples if we can call that actually from an objective point of view dont have the credentials to become a good manager.

Players like ole, neville, giggs, while being managed by the best man doesnt expose themselves to many other ideas. It's like playing fm and only managing united, you're so adapt at playing united you'd struggle to think what to do without hundred millions of transfer budget and no star player to play 442 when managing rushden diamonds.

Neville, giggs, ole has shown that united way is all they know and they cant adapt to their respective teams with all their plus and minus

romufc

So McTommy was a nailed on international player and United player 3 or 4 years ago you’re saying? He was an also ran, he’s received a huge amount of coaching and shown he can develop as a player. You don’t see that then you’re extremely bias. As for Lindelof he was a punt and has done better than expected and actually improved his game.
Bias? You are acting as if McT is the best player and improved so much that he is guaranteed starter. He is where he is because of his attitude as well. Even if we were to say he has improved, that is 1 player out of a 24 man squad.

Red_toad

Bias? You are acting as if McT is the best player and improved so much that he is guaranteed starter. He is where he is because of his attitude as well. Even if we were to say he has improved, that is 1 player out of a 24 man squad.
No he’s gone from a none plus in the youth teams, into a first team player within the last 8 years. So not at all making out like he’s the seconding coming of Pele, simply giving 1 example, as no players have improved apparently. Tuanzebe is another example and Lindelof. I’d even say De Gea improved massively under Woods when Moyes was in charge. There are many examples, not zero.

romufc

No he’s gone from a none plus in the youth teams, into a first team player within the last 8 years. So not at all making out like he’s the seconding coming of Pele, simply giving 1 example, as no players have improved apparently. Tuanzebe is another example and Lindelof. I’d even say De Gea improved massively under Woods when Moyes was in charge. There are many examples, not zero.
Yes many examples but other than a player coming through the academy and not having a huge impact in McT you have none. Whereas, I have given you names within this squad who have not improved at all.

Rashford and Martial under pep would be completely different players.

De Gea's improvement was all down to Fergie, he left Moyes with the best keeper and the coaches have even managed to get him to digress.

TheReligion

Abusive
Cheers.

Regarding your post in the other thread, what exactly have you heard about Ole getting sacked? If you don't mind me asking.
Basically some filming was being done in the city centre for BBC or Sky (likely the latter). They were getting some of Manchester for the Arsenal game preview or something. Anyway they were chatting about United and they said they'd heard Ole would be gone within the next week or so.

JK-27

I'm not sure if it is a coaching problem, or a player problem. We've changed coaching staff numerous times and the players performance haven't really changed. Is that on the coaches, or is it on the players?

I think the players have to be held to account more by fans. They have played at a below par standard for years, and got rewarded new contracts for it. They get called out by Jose and we have a go at Jose for calling them out, further supporting their idea that what they are producing is fine. It hasn't been fine for a long, long time - properly hold them to account.

Red_toad

Yes many examples but other than a player coming through the academy and not having a huge impact in McT you have none. Whereas, I have given you names within this squad who have not improved at all.

Rashford and Martial under pep would be completely different players.

De Gea's improvement was all down to Fergie, he left Moyes with the best keeper and the coaches have even managed to get him to digress.
All about opinions. I consider yours wrong and looks like you’re happy that way, so I bid you goodbye.

romufc

All about opinions. I consider yours wrong and looks like you’re happy that way, so I bid you goodbye.
Consider mine wrong all you like, that ain't changing the facts that you cannot name 5 players that have improved.

I am not happy with that, but I guess you are happy with a mediocre McT improving.

Good day, worthless having a conversation with someone who cannot back up anything they say.

He'sRaldo

I think Carrick works one on one with players, while either Ole or Mckenna (or both) is in charge of tactics. Not sure what Phelan does, maybe motivational stuff?

In any case, I remember Pogba attributing some of his individual improvement to Carrick. Same thing with McTominay.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Basically some filming was being done in the city centre for BBC or Sky (likely the latter). They were getting some of Manchester for the Arsenal game preview or something. Anyway they were chatting about United and they said they'd heard Ole would be gone within the next week or so.
Interesting. I'd be very surprised if it happened just yet. I could see him getting sacked this season but i feel like Woodward would let us drop a load more points before he pulled the trigger.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I know it's frowned upon to bump an old thread, but not sure where to ask this.

I'm curious to know what languages are spoken by our coaching staff apart from English and Norwegian - anyone know?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I'm curious to know what language are spoken by our coaching staff apart from English and Norwegian - anyone know?
Football, they all speak the universal language of Football.

Foxbatt

Ole probably can speak a couple of languages. Not sure any others can.

Stevieboy

Bring back Archie Knox...great coach...but I’m probably just showing my age!

Mainoldo

I'm curious to know what languages are spoken by our coaching staff apart from English and Norwegian - anyone know?
:lol:. Star Wars Jawa by looks of it at times.

Polar

The coaching team has done something right regarding offensive corners. I have observed a total change in movement, energy and fighting spirit. McT’s goal yesterday is a good example. In general we have created more chances and become more deadly on corners lately.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
One thing intrigues me about this recent obsession with 'coaching'. Where do people see the boundary between someone being 'poorly coached' and just not that good at something?

I've seen posters claiming Martial and Rashford aren't coached well on how to finish cos world class strikers have a higher chance conversion rate. Maybe they've just found their level- good, even world class on their day, but not consistently.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
One thing intrigues me about this recent obsession with 'coaching'. Where do people see the boundary between someone being 'poorly coached' and just not that good at something?

I've seen posters claiming Martial and Rashford aren't coached well on how to finish cos world class strikers have a higher chance conversion rate. Maybe they've just found their level- good, even world class on their day, but not consistently.
That's an interesting discussion.

Finishing, heading etc are not attributes I'd relate to coaching. It's not like Martial forgot how to convert chances because he isn't coached, and I'm pretty sure Maguire spends a lot of time trying to score from corner. He's just very poor at heading, for whatever reason.

For me coaching is when good players are doing very simple stuff (clearly instructed to do so), the way we move the ball through midfield, or when strikers make runs behind the defense. Basing on that criteria, I don't think our coaches are doing great job.

wolvored

That's an interesting discussion.

Finishing, heading etc are not attributes I'd relate to coaching. It's not like Martial forgot how to convert chances because he isn't coached, and I'm pretty sure Maguire spends a lot of time trying to score from corner. He's just very poor at heading, for whatever reason.

For me coaching is when good players are doing very simple stuff (clearly instructed to do so), the way we move the ball through midfield, or when strikers make runs behind the defense. Basing on that criteria, I don't think our coaches are doing great job.
Yes agree with this. You either have the talent and know how how to strike/head a ball or not. Its patterns of play, movement, off the ball, when to defend or attack and the fact we have another novice coach coming in when we could do with a couple of WC coaches seems odd for a big club who's ambition is to win the big prizes. Thats no sleight at Fletcher as he may become a great coach in years to come, but we need great coaches now.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure how anyone can answer this question without being coached by these guys. Just another post filled with people pretending that they know what they're talking about...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes agree with this. You either have the talent and know how how to strike/head a ball or not. Its patterns of play, movement, off the ball, when to defend or attack and the fact we have another novice coach coming in when we could do with a couple of WC coaches seems odd for a big club who's ambition is to win the big prizes. Thats no sleight at Fletcher as he may become a great coach in years to come, but we need great coaches now.
The question is whether we're bringing Fletcher for the club, or for him to get some coaching experience. Personally I think it's fine having ex players around the club, but we need experienced coaches right now like you said.

alexthelion

just how much influenece will the coaches actually have this season? Games are coming thick and fast with virtually no time inbetween Just what can they do in this situation?

Deery

Dreary
I like the fact we have ex United players in the coaching setup aleast this way we play entertaining football and brings a bit of enjoyment to my life.

Like one of the other posters said though we have absolutely no idea how good they’re if we are not getting coached by them.

Deery

Dreary
just how much influenece will the coaches actually have this season? Games are coming thick and fast with virtually no time inbetween Just what can they do in this situation?
Really good coaches should be able to keep the players sharp and maintain their fitness to reach peak performance.

Only guessing but I’d say they are doing a lot of ball work and possession drills, maybe man marking drills to keep them switched on.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are actually hitting peak performance levels now going into the Pool game, suppose we’ll see that against Burnley.

croadyman

Still much work to be done on set pieces whether attacking or defending them

Gopher Brown

I know for a fact Mike Phelan is fluent in Swahili and Tamil