So, what do you think of our coaching staff?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I am of the belief that none of Fergie’s disciples are cut out for modern day coaching at the top level. I appreciate that I obviously don’t know what happens on the training ground, but to me it seems that they can’t see beyond hard work, passion and all the other cliches about blending for the club etc. They all come out with the same rhetoric.

The likes of Pep and other top coaches seem to have players who are no less passionate than us, but that’s not what they seem to base their whole approach on. There seems to be little innovation from a tactical perspective. I’ve never seen that from anyone who came up under Fergie. Be it Bruce, Keane etc. They are all stuck in the past. Even the ones who are not coaching and just offer punditry say the same things. All about hard work.

Someone like Brendan Rogers who came up under Jose I believe has an entirely different philosophy. Much more progressive. Fergie was obviously a brilliant manager of course, but I’m not sure whether it’s just that his descendants are just not good enough to carry out his methods, or if his methods just don’t translate to the modern game.
The thing is if Fergie was still managing, he would have recognised that the game was changing and he would have recruited accordingly. That was part of what made him successful. He could adapt to situations.

Hardly anyone, and certainly none of his ex players, possess the forethought it seems to copy that method of his.

The best thing for them is to get with the modern game and get the right people around to execute this. No one is ever going to replicate Fergie so they just need to be practical and keep it moving in a direction they can control instead of trying to emulate the great man.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Absolutely agree. It puzzles me that Ole doesn't see this. Or for that matter, that no one at United sees this. It is a fundamental problem we've been having. I worry about the young talents coming through from the academy as well as young people need good direction. You need to guide them properly.

It's just incredible that this isn't attended to.
Quite right.
There are a number of problems at OT which need to be resolved.
But. We are where we are.
A very average squad.
A very average manager.
A coaching staff which are not fit for purpose.
We have changed managers and we are not improving.
We have signed players and brought youngsters in and no improvement.
It is blindingly obvious that the coaches are not good enough and are not doing anything like enough to give us confidence that the players and team are well drilled. We are not a well drilled team.
We are not a well coached team.
It is a real shambles.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Quite right.
There are a number of problems at OT which need to be resolved.
But. We are where we are.
A very average squad.
A very average manager.
A coaching staff which are not fit for purpose.
We have changed managers and we are not improving.
We have signed players and brought youngsters in and no improvement.
It is blindingly obvious that the coaches are not good enough and are not doing anything like enough to give us confidence that the players and team are well drilled. We are not a well drilled team.
We are not a well coached team.
It is a real shambles.
Yeah,,,, and it makes me sad. This is something totally within the club's control. You can't control which player wants to come to the club, but your structure is one thing you're in charge of.

Honestly, the only thing you can accuse the board of is not getting in a DOF. However they don't interfere with the managers who have full licence to implement their system. There's no way they would refuse to invest in the best coaching staff. It is up to Ole to do this. It's his chance at managing us and I feel sad that he might waste it by being sentimental and loyal to Carrick and Phelan for eg. As manager you have to make hard decisions, and if his eyes are working, he must know the coaching is not good enough.

tomaldinho1

Without being over the top, it's probably the least experienced in the league. Phelan, who had semi retired in Australia as a Sporting Director, has all the experience and the others have none. I like the idea of Carrick (as I like the idea of Ole as a manager) but it's only an idea - it shouldn't be the reality.

Our club should hold itself to the highest standards and if a former player wants to be a coach, they should go out and get a load of experience and recommendations and be judged alongside every other coach who wants the job. Not get in on the basis that he 'knows the club'. We should hire the best with the view to becoming the best not just hand out contracts to popular former players.

redshaw

Yes I questioned this while Jose was here. McKenna and Carrick appear to not have any influence and the same under Ole mostly but I did hear someone say when Ole came in Carrick and McKenna had a lot more input early on.

If you remember we went with a 3 man midfield when he arrived. It seemed when Ole came in he put round pegs in round holes and could see from afar what was going wrong. Pogba was playing high up and while we had some easier games there was lots of clever passing and players expressing themselves but the injuries and system changed and results have stopped since Ole was said to be having more input in how he wants things. Perhaps a lot of the good run was down to Ole not having much input and a lot of credit is to the others or perhaps Ole has just lost sight how he and the coaches did things initially. He used to say before coming here build a team around Pogba.

Injuries stopped the flow last season, it was a mega run and more than new manager bounce, it was a good formula that stopped when the midfielders got injured and we tightened up.

I'm staggered we haven't gone with a 3 man midfield and this wasn't number one priority to replace Herrera. Pogba in a two man isn't good and we have players out of position.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Obsolete. Some of the worst in the league. If top coaches are agents of innovation, Ole and his coaches are agents of imitation. Stagnant describes them and us as a club very well.

Outsmarted last season vs top 8 coaches and it's continued this season. They've been here over 8 months now and can anyone point to what has improved since they came in? Where is the supposed structure on the pitch? The midfield and attack is absolutely shocking. Progressive patterns of play in any phases of the match? None, every match we do the same old routine of hoofing it up the channels for Rashford to chase and we are still as clueless as ever at attacking vs deep defences. Training ground set-pieces? I can't remember the last time we took a set-piece that was creative and well drilled. Can anyone point to any of the existing players that have improved since they have been here?

When Ole first came in, he said he wanted to build the side around Pogba, now he has got him playing deep in a midfield pivot with no support and players are playing out of position?

They were good care-takers and their ideas off the pitch to instill a work ethic into the club and the signings also have been good but I can't think of a single thing that shows them in a positive light on the pitch.

There is just a complete lack of organisation, imagination and freedom in this team and that comes from the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Have I mentioned a coach in particular? if you read my post you have quoted it says "no player has improved under any of the coaches for more than 8 years" the key word is any.

McT has made huge strides in what way? Lindelof came with a big reputation.

Well you have names two players who might have improved but in Lindelof's case it is more settling into the league rather than improving, look at the players who have stagnated or regressed?

De Gea
Shaw
Matic
Rashford
Pogba
Martial
Fred ( has not shown anything)
Smalling
Jones
So McTommy was a nailed on international player and United player 3 or 4 years ago you’re saying? He was an also ran, he’s received a huge amount of coaching and shown he can develop as a player. You don’t see that then you’re extremely bias. As for Lindelof he was a punt and has done better than expected and actually improved his game.

Mainoldo

I have no idea about Mourinho. I'm more curious about what the indicator is that Ole has stopped listening to his coaches
He’s parking the bus. That game against Cardiff is a distant memory! Our fullbacks were virtually wingers our attack had a pattern.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I've heard great things about McKenna from my friend who's a coach at junior level at United. Apparently he's extremely highly thought of in the football world, a bit of a tactical genius........not seen anything myself yet though:lol:

liamp

He’s parking the bus. That game against Cardiff is a distant memory! Our fullbacks were virtually wingers our attack had a pattern.
I don't think that's an indication of him not listening to his coaches...if anything, I think this is his "system" taking effect. He indicated after that first match against Cardiff that he didn't have any time to do any sort of real coaching...just told the players to express themselves.

Foxbatt

Ole is trying to get the same way SAF played. At the end of his career SAF got found out in Europe. We lost a CL Final we should have won because of his tactics. Individual brilliant players he had pulled us out most of the time.
Ole is trying the same. He doesn't have those brilliant individual players. He is like the generals fighting the last war.
He keeps talking about the pressing. Very good. But he never talks about what happens after that. It's good to press and recover the possession but what you do after that is more important than what you do before that.
As others have said about our free kicks. It's pathetic. The whole coaching staff should be sacked for not being able to get even one set piece right.
All they do is an over the top ball for Rashy to run onto though there are 8 opposition players and Mata inside their box.
Utterly ridiculous.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm not there watching the training. I don't know what the players think of them. There's no way I could give any credible opinion on the coaching staff.

Son

Which of these coaches do you believe have been here 8 years? Moyes ripped the coaching staff apart, Van Gaal had his own guys, Jose had his own guys and promoted from within. So which coach has been here nearly a decade.

As for no player improving over the last 8 years, absolute garbage. McTommy has made huge strides, Lindelof is vastly better than the player we purchased.
Mctomminay and Lindelof both improved due to Mourinho’s coaches defensive work and support. I can’t say either has got much better under Ole.

It’s a shame we couldn’t keep Rui Faria at the club. He was a brilliant tactical coach. Him leaving after we finished 2nd was the end of Mourinho.

croadyman

I think the coaching needs to be better,Phelan's ideas are just too out of date and Carrick/McKenna don't really look up to it either.

Complete joke that we keep seeing all of them in the technical area,rather than just Ole which tells me they haven't a clue.

We need some forward thinking people and don't think the current staff fall into that category unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hughes35

To be honest, I don't really think we have been coached to play good football since Carlos Queiroz was here.

red4ever 79

Some rumblings coming out about McKenna this morning. Only a matter of time in my opinion. If people cant see that we look totally clueless in our set up and tactics there is something wrong.

ottosec

They're trash. No first team player has improved under their guidance.

liamp

They're trash. No first team player has improved under their guidance.
This is something that sounds hyperbolic but I think that may actually be true in general of all our purchases post-Fergie (Excluding our purchases this summer. Looking good but probably too early to evaluate).

Martial is the only player I can think of that has shown development and gotten tangibly better with us than with their previous club. Am I forgetting someone? Surely that can't be right.

roykeane19

Do you idiots believe everything from the sun and daily mail, they make so many false stories like these with no source, and everyone regurgitates it like facts, ffs........

ottosec

This is something that sounds hyperbolic but I think that may actually be true in general of all our purchases post-Fergie (Excluding our purchases this summer. Looking good but probably too early to evaluate).

Martial is the only player I can think of that has shown development and gotten tangibly better with us than with their previous club. Am I forgetting someone? Surely that can't be right.
Even Martial had his best season in his first year here and has been struggling to reach those heights ever since.

I think this is our biggest problem, we had and singed loads of players with a lot of potential after Fergie and each and every one of them stagnated or worse. I don't know why is that, the poor coaching staff for sure, but maybe Carrington is no longer up to standards these days?

feck knows why it happens, but it's unacceptable for a club with our standards.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I wouldn't attribute that to the club, he was a kid when he arrived, he could have only have gotten better no matter where he was and besides his improvement isn't that amazing. There isn't an aspect of his game that has drastically been bumped to another level in comparison to Monaco.

Ole is trying to get the same way SAF played. At the end of his career SAF got found out in Europe. We lost a CL Final we should have won because of his tactics. Individual brilliant players he had pulled us out most of the time.
Ole is trying the same. He doesn't have those brilliant individual players. He is like the generals fighting the last war.
He keeps talking about the pressing. Very good. But he never talks about what happens after that. It's good to press and recover the possession but what you do after that is more important than what you do before that.
As others have said about our free kicks. It's pathetic. The whole coaching staff should be sacked for not being able to get even one set piece right.
All they do is an over the top ball for Rashy to run onto though there are 8 opposition players and Mata inside their box.
Utterly ridiculous.
They were just better than us. Not sure what we could have done to best them

buckooo1978

has a single player improved under Solskjaer? obviously this was the case under Jose too

contrast this with Pep, Klopp or Poch

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've heard great things about McKenna from my friend who's a coach at junior level at United. Apparently he's extremely highly thought of in the football world, a bit of a tactical genius........not seen anything myself yet though:lol:
Maybe he is, but has not been allowed to get his thoughts across. Phelan is the senior coach there and has a pretty high opinion of himself.

Kostur

海尔的老板
No idea but it seems a long shot to throw in two young inexperienced at senior level coaches in Carrick and McKenna, inexperienced at the highest level Ole and Phelan and hope that for some reason it will work, while you could say all three are currently learning from Phelan (due to his obvious experience, although it's hard to gauge how much of coaching he's really done under SAF).

The thing that I've already mentioned in Rashford thread though that worries and intrigues me at the same time is howcome Rashford hasn't improved his shit decision making with a stress on finishing in over 9 months under one of the most clinical strikers we've had.

ZenMaster Coltrane

I know it's a clown show when three different people are individually appearing in the technical area throughout the game. OGS isn't commanding and obviously tons of stuff has been delegated. He's just the public face. Tactically, we're stuck in the past and trying to recreate the environment for some class of '92 British youth redux is just a sentimental ploy which a certain segment of the fan base eat up and regurgitate.

Mainoldo

I don't think that's an indication of him not listening to his coaches...if anything, I think this is his "system" taking effect. He indicated after that first match against Cardiff that he didn't have any time to do any sort of real coaching...just told the players to express themselves.
Exactly... noises have also been those were McKenna’s tactics. No shock once he’s got his hands on it. We are playing Jose football again.

Proof is in the pudding, we all know McKenna’s football from the academy.

ryansgirl

[QUOTE
Carrick is learning, so shouldn't be in an influential position at this stage of his career. McKenna seems good, but again he's very young and not very experienced. He would benefit from working with someone whose both experienced and good technically and tactically.

Phelan is nice to have around, but again he's old fashioned and thankfully had SAF to lead the way. I doubt very much he can implement a modern sort of play style.

So in short, our coaching set up is not good enough.

First thing to do is hire the very best available. Whether the person is British or foreign should have no bearing on the decision - just hire the best. Should also not include any ex players. [/QUOTE]

The likes of Carlos, Rene and Rui gave United something different and contemporary - United didn't replace them with similar types of sophisticated coaches. I think now that the lack of nous United are displaying on the pitch is not simply down to being under-manned and in yet another re-building process. Coaching is a problem.

As for Michael Carrick 'learning' - why on earth is Manchester United in its current situation having such a luxury it can't afford, a coach who is not really a coach? Nothing against Carrick who is a decent man and was a key part of trophy winning teams. However, giving him such a position represents in one way what is wrong with United at the moment. It looks like cronyism, not making use of in-house genuine talent.

The coaching situation needs direct action. Bring in the sophisticated coaches with experience and the ability to bring the contemporary style and tactics to the United team. I'm all for homegrown talent etc but it seems clear that our lads badly need a couple of good European/South American coaches.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It's a bit naive to say that no one has improved in 8 years. McTominay is one player that springs to mind.

Kemizee

What is the point of high balls when none of our strikers are good headers?
I get frustrated with our set pieces. We have Maguire, Lindelof, Pogba, McTominay, Matic who are really very good headers of the ball and tall players.
Yet we can't get even one corner or a free kick right.
Surely at this level any player should be able to get a dead ball into the box?
Why no variation? Why no near post flicks? The whole staff should be sacked.
One of the if not the worst header of the ball in our squad. Even strange considering his height.

TheReligion

Abusive
@pocco basically uses the Telegraph and Daily Mail to say players aren't happy with coaching and have doubts over McKenna. Apparently Ole doesn't get involved with training very much and leaves it to Carrick, Phelan and McKenna.