So who is up for another winter World Cup? | It's actually autumn | When does winter start?

MDFC Manager

Stop with the racial stuff.

I'm not even european, and idc about the WC being played in the winter(June-July).

Here in Chile kids are still in school these days, so it doesn't matter if the WC is played in Summer/Winter anyways, and here they don't give vacations just because it's December, most work until 23 December, which means many people are missing the WC despite being in chilean summer.

I rather have the mid year WC as usual, i want players to be rested not playing knackered in the middle of a season, without even having a 2 weeks rest before the WC start.

Many knackered players in this WC.
Players being knackered is more of a product of the ridiculous amount of football being played since the end of first lockdown. If that season wasn't ever completed, it would have been a different story now.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Players being knackered is more of a product of the ridiculous amount of football being played since the end of first lockdown. If that season wasn't ever completed, it would have been a different story now.
Jumping from club football to international football without a proper rest isn't optimal, especially for a WC

Many players looked completely knackered in the first group stage games.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Strange then for them to give it to a country that has no rights for gay people and where women are treated like children and then ban anyone from mentioning it… doubt much change will happen that way
When it was held in England in 1966 homosexuality was illegal, by your reckoning should never have been held there

MDFC Manager

Jumping from club football to international football without a proper rest isn't optimal, especially for a WC

Many players looked completely knackered in the first group stage games.
Exactly, and that's because the leagues are still playing catch-up from the time lost in 2020. Otherwise there would definitely be at least a 10 day gap between the league break and world cup start

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Exactly, and that's because the leagues are still playing catch-up from the time lost in 2020. Otherwise there would definitely be at least a 10 day gap between the league break and world cup start
There was a 7 day gap between the PL and the WC start, 3 days wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference and TBH the PL could have stopped a week earlier without it making a whole lot of difference

Roane

Bog off with this utter tripe lad.

There are many instances of institutional and overt racism that permeate through society - and criticising the WC bring held in the middle of the domestic seasons for all the best players isn’t one of them.

The last 6 WCs have been held in - Brazil, Japan / Korea, South Africa, Germany, Russia and now Qatar…

That’s one European host in 24 years ffs.

Despite how much European countries continue to give to football and how well set up they are to host the WC.

Strange then for them to give it to a country that has no rights for gay people and where women are treated like children and then ban anyone from mentioning it… doubt much change will happen that way.

Fifa is an outrageously corrupt institution (ran by rich EUROPEAN OLD MEN…), they don’t give a feck about ‘forwarding football’. All they care about is their own grift.

They’re the colonial minded ones in all this!
Are women treated that badly in Qatar?

I know someone who has been and says life for Qataris is pretty fabulous. They get loads of cash and property incentives upon reaching certain ages etc.

Whereas during the euros in England we had a campaign where the main message was "when England get beaten, so does she"

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
There was a 7 day gap between the PL and the WC start, 3 days wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference and TBH the PL could have stopped a week earlier without it making a whole lot of difference
Indeed.

10 days isn't enough, it should've been 20-25 days as the usual.

The usual time gap from leagues ending and the beginning of a WC has always been 25 days at least (and 20 days for players involved in the UCL final).

This WC it was 7 days for ffs.

Bogga

As in going to the pub to watch games?
In the summer time there's much more happening. You can sit outdoors, enjoy the heat and the sun and pubs have big screens for you to watch the games on. This last week Sweden encountered a cold wave and we had unusally low temperatures going as low as -20 (where I'm at, lot colder further north)

We tend to brighten up a lot more on summers and try to enjoy the sunshine and the heat until those dark cold winter months are upon us. Going downtown to a pub indoors the winter months when it's sub zero temps and pitch black outside just isn't the same as sitting outdoors in 25+ in shorts, soaking up the sun

90 + 5min

It's literally called World Cup, not European or Whites cup ffs. Nothing wrong with being played globally, not restricted to a handful of countries.
I love how you got that "white" racist stuff in here. LIke there aren't lot of people from different background living in Europe.

Football should not be restricted to handful continents or countries. I think everyone agrees to that. However, there must be some critera for who can have it. So do you have any criteria?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@CallyRed I'm sorry for the mess I provoked, not only people are arguing facts about seasons, they are now arguing about facts regarding continents. :(

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This is one of the things I've actually changed my mind on after this tournament.

It's all well and good me saying its better for me if the tournament is in the summer... But if it means other counties can host the World Cup, if its better for other nations that its in the winter every now and then, then fair enough.
This is where I am with this.

I would have a preference to give it to nations that could do with the extra cash / cash injections having a globally watched and attended sport can bring. The additional money brought through tourism, tickets, flights, and increase in the economy could do wonders for countries that are in that middle income belt. The infrastructure and outside investment this tournament brings could go very far for such a nation. So, in essence, Fifa could be a force for good…

…but they’re a long way from being that considering how corrupt they are. If that changes then let’s see.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Winter starts 1 December in the Northern Hemisphere. Those that say otherwise are the exact same nutters who believe the Earth is flat, vaccines contain governmental microchips and that 5G will kill us all.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Winter starts 21 December in the Northern Hemisphere. Those that say otherwise are the exact same nutters who believe the Earth is flat, vaccines contain governmental microchips and that 5G will kill us all.
Fixed it for you.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It was tongue in cheek, @Jippy was arguing about Qatar representing Asia. :angel:
:lol:Asia is ridiculously massive. Qatar is nearer Europe, both distance and time zone wise, for over 3 billion Asians!

If they've gotten Asia's slot and it won't come round for another 20 years, that would be a huge disappointment for half the world's population.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I knew someone would say that, but Qatar has about as much in common culturally with SE Asia as it does Europe and it's even further away from here.
Have a WC in Australia for a change or China.
What does it matter if it has anything in common culturally? And it’s not further away. It’s closer than any of the last 4 WCs.

Jippy

Staff
What does it matter if it has anything in common culturally? And it’s not further away. It’s closer than any of the last 4 WCs.
I wasn't in Asia for any previous WC and am viewing this through a purely selfish lens, rather than trying to make some big wider point tbh.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm just moaning. The US east coast is 24 hours time difference to here so any matches there are going to be a nightmare. That whole next WC is:(
I got you. I think you meant 12 hours though. 24 would be perfect for you.

Last edited:

Jippy

Staff
I got you. I think you meant 12 hours though. 24 would be perfect for you.
:lol:Ah yep, 13 hours to NYC since the clocks moved and I only went there in August (when it was 12).

If they're 3pm and 7pm US time, that'd be horrific here. 24 would be fine if I avoided all media for the day.

CallyRed

@CallyRed I'm sorry for the mess I provoked, not only people are arguing facts about seasons, they are now arguing about facts regarding continents. :(
:lol: It's all good dude.
If the title was 'So who is up for another World Cup that doesn't start in June' it would have been so different...
But then again, the 2002 edition started in May so....

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
:lol: It's all good dude.
If the title was 'So who is up for another World Cup that doesn't start in June' it would have been so different...
But then again, the 2002 edition started in May so....
Ah you mean the Spring World Cup of 2002 !