Social media boycott starts today...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Anyone joining in with this? I don't actually post anything on Twitter but are the normal users also staying silent for a few days?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56936797

Leading football clubs and players will be joined by a number of sporting bodies in a four-day boycott of social media platforms from Friday in a move to tackle abuse and discrimination.

The "show of solidarity against online abuse" hopes to encourage companies to take a stronger stance against racist and sexist abuse on their platforms.
Rugby union, cricket and rugby league will join football in the boycott.

It will start at 15:00 BST on Friday, and end at 23:59 BST on Monday.

"This boycott signifies our collective anger," said Sanjay Bhandari, the chairman of anti-discrimination charity Kick it Out.

"By removing ourselves from the platforms, we are making a symbolic gesture to those with power. We need you to act. We need you to create change."

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Needs to start at 15:00 BST on Friday, and ends indefinitely.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Good intentions but way too short. Being outraged while losing the least amount of money/visibility.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It can't hurt.

Awkward if City win the title this weekend :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What is the point? They've literally said they're returning after 4 days. Sounds like an empty gesture to me.
It's the first (small) step of a message to the social media companies to get their acts together and do something about online hate.

True it's not a lot, but its not nothing. At the very least again, it gets people talking... And I believe it got brought up in Parliament?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Simply not enough. Sends a message a suppose but has no concrete relevance at all. Boycott social media for a few days and then go back to being obsessed with it. As if the PL clubs, sky and company won't be investing a huge amount of time in their social media activity/marketing thereafter. As Eto'o says, you need genuine action. Until the perpetrators aren't punished, it's a tacit acceptance of the situation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's the first (small) step of a message to the social media companies to get their acts together and do something about online hate.

True it's not a lot, but its not nothing. At the very least again, it gets people talking... And I believe it got brought up in Parliament?
Why not clubs identify perpetrators and red flag them to social media companies as people action needs to be taken against? Seems like a PR move rather than practical problem solving

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why not clubs identify perpetrators and red flag them to social media companies as people action needs to be taken against? Seems like a PR move rather than practical problem solving
If it's online abuse, the platforms themselves should not allow abuse. It shouldn't be up to Man United to tell Twitter that someone is being a cnut on Twitter.

Chelsea and Man United recently banned fans from attending games as a result of their racist tweets but they can't do anything to stop those dipshits from just making another Twitter account.

If it's online abuse, the platforms themselves should not allow abuse. It shouldn't be up to Man United to tell Twitter that someone is being a cnut on Twitter.

Chelsea and Man United recently banned fans from attending games as a result of their racist tweets but they can't do anything to stop those dipshits from just making another Twitter account.
i agree. It’s not down to the clubs.

if this was at the ground then it is - but this at Twitter’s ground, then admit people, they set the rules, they should govern it.

Twitter benefit from the revenue people being in - it’s down to them to moderate and take action. Clubs won’t even have access to the personal data needed in most cases.

Chairman Steve

All the hacks who work for The Athletic are raking in the clicks and views today for sure :lol:

brian017

If only they had other ways of publishing the news.
What do you suggest? Maybe an piece of software that you can download to your phone that you can check anytime you want? and let's call it an Application or "app" to be trendy. Heck while we're at it lets create an feature thats sends an alert to their phones if anything important happens. That could work

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Would be a better boycott if they refused to use it indefinitely until Twitter shapes up but that'd obviously hurt the bottom line so they won't.

The whole thing sends my cynicism chart off the scale, tbh.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be a better boycott if they refused to use it indefinitely until Twitter shapes up but that'd obviously hurt the bottom line so they won't.

The whole thing sends my cynicism chart off the scale, tbh.
It's like saying the mob today need to do that every single game game for it to have any meaning

Foxbatt

Did anyone see the clip of Ian Wright and Shearer where Wright reads out the racist hate he gets every day? And what happened to him the time he went to Court where the Judge let that guy go because he was from a good family and it was his first official offence?
So long as these things happen racists would continue to spew their hatred.