Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Highfather_24

Absolute baller. Was my number #1 priority signing this summer. The concerns over his fbref defensive data was vastly overblown, anyone who's seen him play knows he is a monster defensively.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
This guy must start Saturday, he creates a strong defensive wall but it’s the way he keeps and recycles the ball that impresses me and his positional play. Plus he’s 6’2 and so press resistant, next to Casemiro, Varane, Maguire or Evans we look like a real threat from corners and free kicks.
This is one area of concern for him. He's poor in the air despite his height.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Serious question, did we ever boss them at Anfield? I really can't remember a game where we did except that one when Mata scored a brace.
We had a good run in the 90s.

However, in terms of all around midfield performances, I think back to 2005. Keane, supposedly over the hill, up against media darling 'Stevie G'. Keane ran the show. If Amrabat can get anywhere near that level...

Last night was a good start. We have to factor in Palace clearly prioritised the league match, and gave us space to play. However, you can only play what's in front of you and Amrabat came through the game pretty much flawlessly. Really encouraging to see another midfielder who can win it and play it. We've had to put up with either/or for too long.

flappyjay

I thought he was outstanding. I was cautiously optimistic because, for me, he was one of the standout players at the World Cup. However, I sort of had him down as a hard-working, aggressive...but somewhat technically limited player.

I was really impressed last night with his range of passing, switching the ball to the right flank effortlessly. The big diaganol used to be a common sight under SAF but we've not had players who can do it regularly for a while. It seems both Casemiro and Amrabat can.
His passing is his most outstanding quality that's why he wa the signing I was most excited for. He can give the energy and mobility of McTominay/fred but also be consistently good on the ball.

ErikElevenHag

Jesus wept. Mid table?! :houllier: You’ve never ever watched him play or you have some kind of agenda? Does it not make fans like you feel better that klopp wanted him and Barca couldn’t afford him? Looking forward to you eating humble pie over the next few weeks and months.
Its sarcasm you quim. Ive been in favour of the signing since we were linked. A lot of posters said what I posted (sarcastically) prior to us signing him.

flappyjay

Jesus wept. Mid table?! :houllier: You’ve never ever watched him play or you have some kind of agenda? Does it not make fans like you feel better that klopp wanted him and Barca couldn’t afford him? Looking forward to you eating humble pie over the next few weeks and months.
Went over your head huh

Dannn411

Might extend Casemiro's shelf life in Europe if he's allowed to play alongside Casemiro going forward.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I actually got more carrick vibes off him, the way he moves, the way he gets on the ball and moves it around, the way he can switch it to the wings but every time I looked at my tv I could have sworn I saw Veron

ErikElevenHag

I actually got more carrick vibes off him, the way he moves, the way he gets on the ball and moves it around, the way he can switch it to the wings but every time I looked at my tv I could have sworn I saw Veron
Flagged for insensitive baldist remark.

Woziak

This is one area of concern for him. He's poor in the air despite his height.
He goes to play CB when we had corners which allowed Casemiro, Maguire and Varane to go into the box that’s a serious threat from set pieces with the correct delivery.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Looking forward to seeing him at the weekend with the senior attacking players leading the line.

RedIan

Great debut, love the guy already. oozes class.
Hes is Everywhere on the pitch, great passing, great tackling.. confident and strong.
along side casamiro in midfield it looks a very strong combo.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Lovely performance - had somewhat of a free role and ended up playing like 5 different positions. Some of his crossfield passing was exquisite. Can't wait for him to feature more regularly.

Woziak

He’s going to be one of the first names on the team sheet after the next few games, we should have had him in from day one of the season yet again the Glazers delaying tactics cost the club.

crossy1686

career ending
Been saying it for years, stop buying players that cost £80m because they have a good highlight reel or FIFA ranking, and sign players that would crawl across broken glass to play for a team like United. Teams are built on grafters and supplemented with brilliant technical players. You won't win shit with players that aren't willing to work their arse off for the team. I'd take an Amrabat over a Pogba anyday.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He’s going to be one of the first names on the team sheet after the next few games, we should have had him in from day one of the season yet again the Glazers delaying tactics cost the club.
Yes. He'd have made a massive difference in our defeats and perhaps we'd have had a higher points tally now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Will be interesting to see how he deals with a higher tempo game but last night he was brilliant.

Its sarcasm you quim. Ive been in favour of the signing since we were linked. A lot of posters said what I posted (sarcastically) prior to us signing him.
:nono: quim is not an acceptable word on this forum. Please replace it with something more sophisticated like "gowl" or "cnut".

RedRoach

Don't think I have been this excited about a performance from a new United player for years. An actual midfielder with composure who knows how to pass and control from deep! We haven't had this since Carrick retired. Casemiro whilst great isn't the calm holding midfielder we needed, this guy is.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He goes to play CB when we had corners which allowed Casemiro, Maguire and Varane to go into the box that’s a serious threat from set pieces with the correct delivery.
True for this game but Maguire is not the regular starter, it's Martinez. So long as Casemiro and Varane play, I'm happy with our areial prowress. The issue is when we replace Case with Amrabat, which will happen in some games.

Big Ray

Calma. I missed the sarcasm so apologies for that. Thanks for the insult, though it feels a tad childish and extreme :)

Last edited:

flappyjay

So, all this nonsense about him once playing in the Dutch league being the main reason we signed him is actually just nonsense.
He seems a good player with qualities we need but it don't change the fact that he does have a history with Eth.

zaafi

He seems a good player with qualities we need but it don't change the fact that he does have a history with Eth.
So does Xandro Schenk and Michel Gerritsen Mulkes from Ten Hag's time in Go Ahead Eagles, but you don't see him signing them. It's because they're not good enough, while Amrabat is.

For the record, Amrabat is a much different player now than he was from his time in Utrecht.

GinobiliTheGOAT

So does Xandro Schenk and Michel Gerritsen Mulkes from Ten Hag's time in Go Ahead Eagles, but you don't see him signing them. It's because they're not good enough, while Amrabat is.

For the record, Amrabat is a much different player now than he was from his time in Utrecht.
amrabat was actually quite poor outside of the WC. The WC boosted his stock, on club level he hasn’t been very good at all

r0663664

Worships Man City
His long passes were great, he manage to find Dalot and Pellestri on numerous occasions. That's a proper footballer unlike McTominay who can pass for his life.