Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Idxomer

You lose a lot in ball progression there, and you would have 2 players that struggle with tracking runners. Difficult to pick a balanced midfield with Cas hard declining physically and the lack of discipline in his game.
I think Amrabat's progressive passing is generally good. He's likely to be well ahead of anyone else on the pitch today in that regard.

Bobski

I think Amrabat's progressive passing is generally good. He's likely to be well ahead of anyone else on the pitch today in that regard.
He is definitely very tidy but he has generally been very safe in his passing choices. Noticed today as against Palace that he only really started to look for the ball through the lines in the last 20 mins, and has been successful with it. Maybe just not wanting to make mistakes and as he settles he will express himself more. He looks competent but not seeing anything exceptional in his game as yet.

3KDré

He is definitely very tidy but he has generally been very safe in his passing choices. Noticed today as against Palace that he only really started to look for the ball through the lines in the last 20 mins, and has been successful with it. Maybe just not wanting to make mistakes and as he settles he will express himself more. He looks competent but not seeing anything exceptional in his game as yet.
I don't think he is anything special tbh, but I don't think we need him to be. We just need a 6 who is more mobile than Casemiro and knows how to keep the ball better.

DarkXaero

Ah Redcafe! Saying he is not good enough because of his passing when his passing is exactly what we need in that midfield. How many times did Case lose the ball needlessly trying to be adventurous. I didn't expect him to light the league on fire and his start is pretty expected for a Midfielder coming into the epl from a midtable seria A side with virtually zero preseason. Case has been so bad in possession to the extent that a player who was supposed to be cover and slowly build fitness and sharpness now has to come in and be the anchor in midfield which has been the story of Man Utd for a long time. We are counting on a 20yr old now to be the main danger man because our star attacking decided to be shit after a new contract. We are counting on a 35 year old CB released from a relegated side to be our starting CB and are desperate for our loan LB cover to return from injury. It begs the question "how are we here after spending so much money every season foe the past decade??"
The CAF doesn't know what it wants. We finally have a midfielder who is tidy in possession, rarely gives it away, and frequently makes himself available for the ball, but it's not good enough for a lot of people here. Just because the team is performing extremely poorly, it doesn't mean that every player in the lineup is the problem.

Kostov

Early signs but he really looks sloppy at everything he does. I don't think he is good enough, and good thing is it's only a loan... with a 10m loan fee though. :houllier:

KeanoMagicHat

His stats from previous seasons put him ahead of most other equivalents in the league in that position in terms of progressive passes. I think it's understandable in a team that's not playing well and where you're coming in as a new player that you would look to keep it safer that you usually would until you get settled. That's his first game today in midfield after all.

jesperjaap

I think his personality and spirit is a good adition to the squad and timing well in terms of competition to Casemeiro who is of concern. Lets face it, it is a loan deal where again we couldnt afford to make the number of transfers wanted as we over spent on others again and failed to move on players.

So as a signing in terms of what it actually is, it isnt a bad signing. I dont see a special player though, ust one who may be valuable to the squad this season....but not sure a permanent deal beyong that will be something fans are callign for much more than we were SAbitzer

Lyng

His stats from previous seasons put him ahead of most other equivalents in the league in that position in terms of progressive passes. I think it's understandable in a team that's not playing well and where you're coming in as a new player that you would look to keep it safer that you usually would until you get settled. That's his first game today in midfield after all.
His defensive stats where among the worst in europe though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Playing as I thought he would. He's a good tidy passer but he hasn't got the legs to keep up with play, he can be quite ponderous and slow.

Against a high intensity team, he will be fecked

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Made 3 lovely passes driven into the feet of attackers in the box. And kept the ball well, not sure what more people want. He's not De Jong.

At least he wasn't losing every other pass like most of his team mates. Will get better and hope Mainoo can partner him and we won't have a midfield that treats the ball like a bomb.

Rockets Redglare

Early signs but he really looks sloppy at everything he does. I don't think he is good enough, and good thing is it's only a loan... with a 10m loan fee though. :houllier:
Agreed, his technical abilities look a mile off the standard in the premier league.

Still I’d rather have a willing runner and someone who’s going to give his all than a player with all the ability and zero effort, so I can see him playing plenty of games this season.

Matt851

Agreed, his technical abilities look a mile off the standard in the premier league.

Still I’d rather have a willing runner and someone who’s going to give his all than a player with all the ability and zero effort, so I can see him playing plenty of games this season.
Guess we have to remember he won't have had a proper pre season because we signed him so late and he was on strike

united for life

Playing as I thought he would. He's a good tidy passer but he hasn't got the legs to keep up with play, he can be quite ponderous and slow.

Against a high intensity team, he will be fecked
he played his best football in high intensity matches during the world cup.

RuudtheRed

I thought he played ok and was confident on the ball. By the looks of it, his passing is more consistent than Fred and he'd not the type of player to always pass backwards. Haven't seen too much from an offensive point of view but that's probably not why we got him on loan. I find it pretty funny that he always goes to handle the ball whenever someone upends him, whether a foul or not.

steeeb

Im much rather us pay 10m loan fee with option to buy and be able to bin them off if thry dont deliver than paying big fee big wages for them to stick around.

OrcaFat

I thought he was good and bad yesterday.

He was tidy, linked up in deep areas, rarely gave it away, played forward passes where possible and generally did a good job in possession.

I didn’t like his positioning. He vacated the no6 area too often and was usually a few yards behind in recovering defensive shape. When he chased back he didn’t go far enough to get goal side or cut off passing lanes. Possibly he is struggling to adapt to the pace of the game.

UpWithRivers

Ten Haag does love a limited player. Brilliant in one aspect but severely lacking in others - Onana - good with feet sht at everything else, Antony - One footed, Martinez brilliant but lacking height and now Amrabat brilliant and keeping the ball ticking sideways but lacking defensively and offensively. There is a reason why he got to 27 and no big club was in for him. We laughed the we needed both Fred and McTominay a.k.a McFred to form a decent DM. Now its the same. Can we not get a well rounded DM like most teams do?

OrcaFat

The guy had no pre season at all. I think people forget this.
Yeah, I think a lot of the aspects where his game appears to be lacking will improve with full match fitness and just minutes on the pitch in our system. It does require a lot of awareness and positional discipline so if you’re both not used to it and not 100% fit, it will show.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
With Bruno, Casemiro, Rashford and Mount giving the ball away cheaply in area's Amrabat being tidy and pragmatic with the ball is actually something we desperately need.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
With so many of our fancy players being stupidly careless with the ball, I'm actually content to have a player being tidy and competent .

Ekeke

Tom Cleverley was "tidy". Thats fine for mid table teams but you need to be multifunctional towards the top of the table. Especially when we have a CB who is better than "tidy". McTom came on and inside of a few mins provided far more going forward than he did for the 95% of the game that he played instead.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A tidy player. I’m sure he’ll improve as the team improves and as the season progresses. It doesn’t help playing next to a few players that give the ball away cheaply. Puts him under pressure.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Tom Cleverley was "tidy". Thats fine for mid table teams but you need to be multifunctional towards the top of the table. Especially when we have a CB who is better than "tidy". McTom came on and inside of a few mins provided far more going forward than he did for the 95% of the game that he played instead.
Well, I would say Cleverly's role in our last title campaign was slightly underrated to some degree.

And, regarding McTom, ofcourse he was influential up the pitch because that's the role he was told to do. Amrabat was asked to stay back and give Evans and Maguire a outlet and he did that effectively until he was subbed for a player who was instructed to get in the box more in the dying minutes.

NoPace

The CAF doesn't know what it wants. We finally have a midfielder who is tidy in possession, rarely gives it away, and frequently makes himself available for the ball, but it's not good enough for a lot of people here. Just because the team is performing extremely poorly, it doesn't mean that every player in the lineup is the problem.
Sofyan Amrabat’s game by numbers vs. Brentford: 97% pass accuracy 75 touches 62/64 passes completed 4/4 long balls completed 3 key passes 2 ground duels won

Made a few nice passes through the lines to Hojlund and then one to Martial. A boring DM who can pass it is what he looked like at Fiorentina in that cup final, and I think that's a good fit for our squad.

We don't have any other midfielders who don't give the ball away and Casemiro is showing his age, so my guess is we'll pay the loan fee, and then we can focus on buying the other positions we need this summer (CB, #9 to replace Martial, proper box to box midfielder if Casemiro goes, if not maybe one more year of him and then hope Mainoo can win the job or a replacement in 2025) and hope that guys like Dalot, Antony/Amad, Onana and Mount come good and become quality starters here.

Idxomer

11 progressive passes
9 passes into the final 3rd
3 key passes

He wasn't that safe with his passing, it's just that one time he ignored Granacho on the counter was a bit annoying. He didn't do much defensively but no one from United yesterday made more than 1 tackles.

NoPace

His aerial ability could be a bit of a problem, you ideally would prefer that the DM is a solid presence in the air to screen the CB's, but he is not good there at all.
We've given up a ton of cutbacks, so if he help us drastically cut down on those, that's a bigger issue than aerial presence.

Thought he did a good job defensively, in that Wissa and Mbeumo weren't able to drop deep and pick up the ball easily and run at Evans and Maguire, some of which was probably Amrabat actually holding his position as a #6.

NoPace

11 progressive passes
9 passes into the final 3rd
3 key passes

He wasn't that safe with his passing, it's just that one time he ignored Granacho on the counter was a bit annoying. He didn't do much defensively but no one from United yesterday made more than 1 tackles.
He wasn't safe at all. Brentford were 5 at the back and he played several tight passes through the lines. It wasn't a game where the ball over the top to Rashford or Hojlund was on.

NoPace

This place won't admit that they love the Hollywood passes. He still made some line breaking passes without have to take risky passes.
Blasphemy to compare a solid midfielder like Amrabat to a great, but it's also true that half the fans on here wouldn't rate Busquets if he played for us, because he doesn't score goals or dribble through half a team from DM.

Woziak

Sofyan Amrabat’s game by numbers vs. Brentford: 97% pass accuracy 75 touches 62/64 passes completed 4/4 long balls completed 3 key passes 2 ground duels won

Made a few nice passes through the lines to Hojlund and then one to Martial. A boring DM who can pass it is what he looked like at Fiorentina in that cup final, and I think that's a good fit for our squad.

We don't have any other midfielders who don't give the ball away and Casemiro is showing his age, so my guess is we'll pay the loan fee, and then we can focus on buying the other positions we need this summer (CB, #9 to replace Martial, proper box to box midfielder if Casemiro goes, if not maybe one more year of him and then hope Mainoo can win the job or a replacement in 2025) and hope that guys like Dalot, Antony/Amad, Onana and Mount come good and become quality starters here.
I’m pretty sure that if Saudi clubs come in for Casemiro and Varane with £75m combined fee, they will both be sold.

United will target Rabiot again because he’ll be on a free and £200k per week at 28/29 decent short term. They’ll buy Amrabat and look for a true BTB/10 attacking midfielder to replace Eriksen like Luis Guilherme who’s s left footed creative midfielder and he’ll be cheap compared to the European market?

Gaidal

Miles above Case or the others we have that starts as the deep midfielders, hopefully he and Mainoo can work together, seems like our only hope of having a decent midfield.

OrcaFat

I don’t like stats but, assuming it’s correct, only two incomplete passes out of 64 in a whole game is very nice to see. It confirms what we thought by watching the game - he doesn’t give it away much.

He’s not even fit and settled yet. There’s a good player, suited to his position, imo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m pretty sure that if Saudi clubs come in for Casemiro and Varane with £75m combined fee, they will both be sold.

United will target Rabiot again because he’ll be on a free and £200k per week at 28/29 decent short term. They’ll buy Amrabat and look for a true BTB/10 attacking midfielder to replace Eriksen like Luis Guilherme who’s s left footed creative midfielder and he’ll be cheap compared to the European market?
I don't believe we'll be targeting Rabiot now. I feel the priority will now be CB and a replacement for Casemiro, with the aforementioned positions now being a priority. I like Amrabat but we need more than just him. I hope to see us sign someone with even more potential than Amrabat for the holding role.

Romano has reported on our interest in the 17 year old attacking midfielder Luis Guilherme. And I've only watched highlights of him but he looks the correct profile of player from his highlights due to his ability to dribble/carry the ball. And you absolutely need players who can break lines via their dribbles and carries in midfield. It's absolutely imperative.

Hughes35

Vert limited player. Decent on loan for the season.... shows how fecked the club is when we're always bringing in average players on loan to fill holes though.