Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

The Substitute

When case is back I'd give all his minutes to gore and Hannibal
Wait, when casemiro is back, then you will rather use gore or hannibal?

Amrabat, with all his faults, he has a presence, which helped the back line today.

I'd love to see case - mainoo and hannibal too. But we are stuck with mct for some mystic reason, and sorely lack quick legs in the middle.

Irwin99

I do appreciate his workrate but despite all the effort as they said in the commentary "he can't run". That first half was shocking: he was trying to get to players and the pace of the game just bewildered him. No lack of effort but it's not very encouraging.

His passing wasn't great today either.

The Oracle

He has a really heavy touch and lacks pace.

I watched the Arsenal game earlier, and the difference between Amrabat and Rice is night and day.

Anyway, today he was part of our defensive play that kept a clean sheet, so I can't be too harsh on him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He looks so lethargic. Not remotely the quality we need. So cumbersome on the ball, it's astounding.

McFred

I thought he was effective enough defensively today, and was also reasonably decent against Bayern. we didn’t look quite as porous through the centre of the pitch as we have done for much of the season. I’ve been so fed up with us losing every duel for a second ball all year so it’s good to see someone who is at least not a pushover on that front.

He’s not a top tier midfielder, can sometimes look cumbersome in possession and is not at the physical level of a lot of premier league midfielders, but I think he’s a useful squad player for Utd until they source a long term solution in the summer hopefully.

Ekeke

This doesn't matter today. We made zero effort to play through midfield at all
Of course it matters :lol: If Scholes was in there you'd play the ball into him, expect him to play through midfield. When you pass it into midfield and Amrabat has a 1 in 2 chance to not find a teammate of course you're not going to try and play through as much. Despite that Mainoo was starting most good things we did

McTom had more touches, just a few less passes than Amrabat but with more accuracy and won the ball more. And he was pretty bad

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Had a bit of a stinker today to be fair, looks so slow off the mark, gives the ball away, gets best easily. Wasn’t the best game for him

Chip

Reminds me of Gravesen to Real Madrid.

He should be nowhere near a team inspiring to be at the top of the PL.

Oscar Bonavena

He looks so lethargic. Not remotely the quality we need. So cumbersome on the ball, it's astounding.
It's not lethargy. Lethargy is laziness. The lad's not lazy, he's got a good attitude. It's just that he's physically incapable of covering the ground that he needs to cover. Which is a problem for a Premier league midfielder.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Think he wants to do the right things, he's just not up to Premier league pace and probably won't be.

Criticism bit harsh though, played a big role in us being fairly resilient for a change.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not lethargy. Lethargy is laziness. The lad's not lazy, he's got a good attitude. It's just that he's physically incapable of covering the ground that he needs to cover. Which is a problem for a Premier league midfielder.
Not to be pedantic but lethargy is not attributed to lazyness. Its feeling or looking tired and can be down to many reasons. In his case he's stocky and everything looks a lot of effort for him, despite his good intentions.

SER19

Bizarre criticism today that seems to be fuelled by Neville and Carraghers odd comments. Have they never seen him play before? He cant run? Ask a moroccan fan if he can run? Ask Mbappe if he can run.

I thought he was good today, and was exposed at times that made him look at fault

Marwood

He does at least play the 6 role with some discipline. Sticks to the actual job. That alone helps I think.

But yeah, he's physically not good enough unfortunately.

KeanoMagicHat

Bit harsh to pick on his passing as a flaw, been consistently good in his career, has the second most progressive passes per game in the team after Bruno since he arrived. And his pass completion rate is the highest of any of our regular starting midfielders. One game doesn't make him a bad passer.

First game at Anfield, nerves and set-up no doubt played a part in giving the ball away. I remember Busquets getting overwhelmed there before.

That's not to say he isn't slow though, which is a shame and a feature since he arrived.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Think he wants to do the right things, he's just not up to Premier league pace and probably won't be.

Criticism bit harsh though, played a big role in us being fairly resilient for a change.
This. He seems to be growing into it the last few weeks but I don’t know if he’s athletic enough for what we need. I think he’d be grand in Europe playing at a slower pace. He was one of our more dogged players today in a game that dogged play got us a draw. Nobody was good on the ball for us. If we had more composure we could have picked them off

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Guys, the price for this guy is 25m EUR. This is pretty much what we're getting. If we had 100m we would've gone for Rice-level midfielder.

Amrabat is doing alright, he's too slow to play against top teams but he's probably our 2nd/3rd choice player in that role anyway.

united for life

Bizarre criticism today that seems to be fuelled by Neville and Carraghers odd comments. Have they never seen him play before? He cant run? Ask a moroccan fan if he can run? Ask Mbappe if he can run.

I thought he was good today, and was exposed at times that made him look at fault
this. Thank you

FerociousCorgis

Wait, when casemiro is back, then you will rather use gore or hannibal?

Amrabat, with all his faults, he has a presence, which helped the back line today.

I'd love to see case - mainoo and hannibal too. But we are stuck with mct for some mystic reason, and sorely lack quick legs in the middle.
I'd want mainoo and case starting in the deep spots.

Mike Smalling

Can't believe how many are saying he did alright today. He was a complete liability. Gave away the ball constantly.

kundalini

First half performance was astonishingly poor. Looked completely out of his depth. Lack of pace is a big problem. Improved a bit in the 2nd half. Managed to block one of their big chances.

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It's not bizarre and anyone who's watched him this season has been saying the same. He's slow of the mark, players get past him comfortably and he's not a great passer. Put him under pressure and he invariably loses it. He's positionally disciplined but that's about it. An average player, can't fault his attitude, but doesn't really have the skills to be a regular CM for any top side in the PL.

Oscar Bonavena

Not to be pedantic but lethargy is not attributed to lazyness. Its feeling or looking tired and can be down to many reasons. In his case he's stocky and everything looks a lot of effort for him, despite his good intentions.
Being equally pedantic, I looked up "lethargy" and it said "lack of energy and enthusiasm".

I definitely think he has the energy and enthusiasm, but his legs won't let him do what his head & heart want him to do!

Perfect example, early in first half, Sobaszlai I think cuts in from the left. Amrabat sees the danger, does the right thing and comes across to cut him off. Sobaszlai just runs across Amrabat and because Amrabat was running in one direction, he's not able to change direction back and is taken completely out of the game.

That's not lack of energy or enthusiasm, that's 100% lack of mobility.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Being equally pedantic, I looked up "lethargy" and it said "lack of energy and enthusiasm".

I definitely think he has the energy and enthusiasm, but his legs won't let him do what his head & heart want him to do!

Perfect example, early in first half, Sobaszlai I think cuts in from the left. Amrabat sees the danger, does the right thing and comes across to cut him off. Sobaszlai just runs across Amrabat and because Amrabat was running in one direction, he's not able to change direction back and is taken completely out of the game.

That's not lack of energy or enthusiasm, that's 100% lack of mobility.
Yes, I said he LOOKS lethargic. He doesn't look like he has energy when he runs, it's very leggy. Like he's just run a marathon or eaten a full meal. That's not an unfair observation. Hes terribly slow, takes ages to turn and makes cheap pull backs because he looks knackered every time a player runs past him.

Oscar Bonavena

It's not bizarre and anyone who's watched him this season has been saying the same. He's slow of the mark, players get past him comfortably and he's not a great passer. Put him under pressure and he invariably loses it. He's positionally disciplined but that's about it. An average player, can't fault his attitude, but doesn't really have the skills to be a regular CM for any top side in the PL.
100%.

Maybe the criticism is "harsh" cos the lad has a good attitude and gives it 100%, but to coin a phrase, "this is Manchester United". The standards need to be higher.

The acceptance of mediocrity in the fanbase does my head in, you're almost not allowed say a player isn't good enough when it's blindingly obvious.

Oscar Bonavena

Yes, I said he LOOKS lethargic. He doesn't look like he has energy when he runs, it's very leggy. Like he's just run a marathon or eaten a full meal. That's not an unfair observation. Hes terribly slow, takes ages to turn and makes cheap pull backs because he looks knackered every time a player runs past him.
Or he needs to take a shite before a game?

Suv666

Isn’t fast, can’t attack, isn’t particularly decent at defending, average passing, often panics under pressure, he’s just a mediocre footballer not good enough for top 6 PL side.

RikRuud

I'd be keeping until the end of season. If he hasn't improved by then if there's no obligation to buy then don't.

sourdough satellite

100%.

Maybe the criticism is "harsh" cos the lad has a good attitude and gives it 100%, but to coin a phrase, "this is Manchester United". The standards need to be higher.

The acceptance of mediocrity in the fanbase does my head in, you're almost not allowed say a player isn't good enough when it's blindingly obvious.
I think that's because a significant portion of the posters here are fans of individual players rather than the team. You can see a pretty good example of that in the Hojlund thread.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Surprised (well not really) by the comments in here. I thought he was one of our better players today. Personally I’d keep him come the summer if he’s available on the cheap.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That one clip against Mbappe is funny because the rest of the game, Mbappe was mugging him off, Amrabat fell over trying to chase him at around 1.20, let Mbappe waltz past him for the second goal and then gets nutmegged at 3.36. But, yeah he tracked back once when Mbappe was slowing down to cross the ball.