Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This lad is a better player than Declan Rice, in his prime, battle hardened and ready for United. A game changing signing if we can pull it off.

Mainoldo

Just doesn’t come across as a top level footballer.

I don’t see the point.

El Jefe

So?
He should avoid potentially good transfers cause he worked with them or not.
We saw where that got us with Jose.

It's lazy recruitment. There's a far bigger pool of talent available. Limiting ourselves to Ten Hag's eyes is just putting ourselves at a disadvantage and making a mockery of our recruiting department.

A player here or there is fine but there's a point it becomes ridiculous.

Real Name

We saw where that got us with Jose.

It's lazy recruitment. There's a far bigger pool of talent available. Limiting ourselves to Ten Hag's eyes is just putting ourselves at a disadvantage and making a mockery of our recruiting department.

A player here or there is fine but there's a point it becomes ridiculous.
Luckily we havent come to that point.

RuudTom83

1 tweet for this lad?...if twitter can't even be arsed then I'll give it a miss!

Back to the Onana thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Any signing that stops us from resorting to McFred is a good signing.

Dazzmondo

His fbref numbers don't look great but he's been excellent any time I've seen him and between Morocco and Fiorentina I've seen him a lot now. It's a strange one because I'd expect his numbers to look far more impressive based on the eye test

crossy1686

career ending
Backup for Casemiro.
Buying backup is redundant. You’re essentially buying a player that will never play unless Casemiro is injured, suspended or we’re playing a weakened opposition. That doesn’t exactly encourage healthy competition for places or force people to improve their game.

We need to sign players that can compete for places in the first team and push each other to be better, otherwise we just end up with another DVB who isn’t good enough to ever get in the first team but is a ‘squad option’. Waste of everyone’s time and money.

Real Name

Buying backup is redundant. You’re essentially buying a player that will never play unless Casemiro is injured, suspended or we’re playing a weakened opposition. That doesn’t exactly encourage healthy competition for places or force people to improve their game.

We need to sign players that can compete for places in the first team and push each other to be better, otherwise we just end up with another DVB who isn’t good enough to ever get in the first team but is a ‘squad option’. Waste of everyone’s time and money.
So who would you buy to compete with Casemiro? Even if you bought someone to compete what would that mean, we'd see a different player every week?
Casemiro is a first teammer and Amrabat would hardly be in a position in which he'd never play. On the contrary you yourself said when he would play and he'd get plenty of gametime.
In any case if he'd shown good form and Casemiro would be off form he'd jump right in.

IRELANDUNITED

An awful lot of negativity on here. If Liverpool were signing him the same people on here would be saying what a great signing he is for them. Why always choose to be negative.

Anustart89

Will he start? If not, what's the point?
Fred and McTominay appeared 56 and 31 times respectively last season while being firmly in the back-up category of squad members. Would you like that those two play as many games this season too?

MadMike

An awful lot of negativity on here. If Liverpool were signing him the same people on here would be saying what a great signing he is for them. Why always choose to be negative.
I see a lot of senseless positivity, not negativity. I have seen dozens of people claim this player is/can be something he patently isn't.

MadMike

Care to elaborate?
I can't be bothered to type it all out again, but here's a post I made after the final which still applies and explains why he is not a DM, never mind a Case alternative

He has atrocious defensive stats though for someone who's supposedly a DM. Compare him with Case, Caicedo and Rice and you see a picture of someone who's more of a playmaker but without a solid defensive side to his game.

Maybe as a box-to-box he'd be better? But then he doesn't really offer much on the attacking 3rd either. Compare him with our current 8s, Fred and Eriksen.

Fred is an unreliable passer but much more effective in both defending and popping up with goal or assists. Eriksen is clearly a better passer than both and more of an AM based on his final 3rd contribution. Yet Amrabat still doesn't deliver much more in terms of defensive work rate than Eriksen, even though he offers nothing on the final 3rd. He seemingly just floats around in midfield picking passes, but without defending or popping up with contributions in the final 3rd enough.

I think Amrabat would get found out in the EPL and become a bit of a passenger.

romufc

feck me, he is literally only buying players he knows.

Ajax fans complained about this before he joined saying he only buys his players.

He seems to have no ability to work with scouts at United.
Wonder where he knows Casemiro from?

NLunited

One of the best at the world cup. He is 26 and good enough to compete with Casemiro. Replaces McT as well. Would be a great signing.

MadMike

One of the best at the world cup. He is 26 and good enough to compete with Casemiro. Replaces McT as well. Would be a great signing.
Saying that is a great way to show you have less than zero idea of what you're talking about.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Y'all want to run players ragged and then wonder why the end of the season we fall off and get nothing.

You need rotation players throughout the season to ensure everyone's levels can be maintained till the end. Resting only when they're injured or suspended is not healthy for them or us.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wonder where he knows Casemiro from?
Yeah a pretty unknown player before joining us. Quality Scouting.

From August 22’

As good a manager as I think Ten Hag is, he does seem to have some of the same flaws hé had as a Ajax manager. The interest in Arnautovic… you couldn’t make that stuff up. What was he thinking? He die the same at Ajax and went for quite a few former players, all of whom flopped hard *** Ajax (Labyad, Klaiber, Promes, Haller to some extend). Weird thing is, everybody saw it coming, except for himself..
From latest links/signings with a past in the Eredivisie -
Eriksen, Malacia, Weghorst, Mount, Onana, Amrabat, Martinez, Antony = 8

‘Fresh’ links/signings with no history in Holland - Casemiro, Sabitzer & potentially Hojlund = 3.

MadMike

I think the burden of proof should be mostly on you. Especially when you claim that someone who doesn't even play as DM for his club should be a consideration for covering one of the best DMs in the world, in a system where they're the only DM and meant to play with two 8s/10s in Mount and Fernandes.

Amrabat is not even a DM. He's a playmaker, a DLP. But the defensive side of his game is very poor.

Anyway, here's a post made after the UEL final.

He has atrocious defensive stats though for someone who's supposedly a DM. Compare him with Case, Caicedo and Rice and you see a picture of someone who's more of a playmaker but without a solid defensive side to his game.

Maybe as a box-to-box he'd be better? But then he doesn't really offer much on the attacking 3rd either. Compare him with our current 8s, Fred and Eriksen.

Fred is an unreliable passer but much more effective in both defending and popping up with goal or assists. Eriksen is clearly a better passer than both and more of an AM based on his final 3rd contribution. Yet Amrabat still doesn't deliver much more in terms of defensive work rate than Eriksen, even though he offers nothing on the final 3rd. He seemingly just floats around in midfield picking passes, but without defending or popping up with contributions in the final 3rd enough.

I think Amrabat would get found out in the EPL and become a bit of a passenger.

Xaviboy

Apart from Casemiro, no other midfielder in the squad can play as number 6. Sit in front of back 4, break play up and get around and make simple passes.

Once Casemiro is unavailable, we will get cut through against good sides. No way we compete with Bruno, Mount and Eriksen in midfield.

McFred can't play that role.

This chap will come in and do a job add bit of steel in middle of park be disaplined in his role playing. Knows Ten Hag and what is required to play under him.

NLunited

I think the burden of proof should be mostly on you. Especially when you claim that someone who doesn't even play as DM for his club could possibly be a cover for one of the best DMs in the world in a system where they're the only DM and meant to play with two 8s/10s in Mount and Fernandes.

Amrabat is not a DM. And the defensive side of his game is very poor.
He is more press resistant and a better passer than Casemiro.

His defensive stats do look underwhelming, but he can tackle and break up play. I may be wrong on this point though I had no idea his defensive stats were so poor.

Control from midfield is something we struggled with, which is what he offers.

MadMike

Apart from Casemiro, no other midfielder in the squad can play as number 6. Sit in front of back 4, break play up and get around and make simple passes.

Once Casemiro is unavailable, we will get cut through against good sides. No way we compete with Bruno, Mount and Eriksen in midfield.

McFred can't play that role.

This chap will come in and do a job add bit of steel in middle of park be disaplined in his role playing. Knows Ten Hag and what is required to play under him.
Another one who has no idea who Amrabat is and what he does :lol:

Real Name

From latest links/signings with a past in the Eredivisie -
Eriksen, Malacia, Weghorst, Mount, Onana, Amrabat, Martinez, Antony = 8

‘Fresh’ links/signings with no history in Holland - Casemiro, Sabitzer & potentially Hojlund = 3.
Did any of the Ajax fans warned us about this?

MadMike

He is more press resistant and a better passer than Casemiro.
Yes

His defensive stats do look underwhelming, but he can tackle and break up play. I may be wrong on this point though I had no idea his defensive stats were so poor.

Control from midfield is something we struggled with, which is what he offers.
If you want more control from midfield then you put him next to Casemiro. Like how he currently plays next to Mandragora for Fiorentina, who is the better defensive midfielder out of the two. Or, like what Real did when they had Kroos next to Casemiro to offer better passing and press resistance. You don't replace Casemiro with Amrabat. Especially not when your other two midfielders are not Modric and Kroos but Mount and Fernandes. It makes 0 sense.

Amrabat has worse defensive stats than 34y Busquets playing for a dominant Barca. He categorically cannot be a solo DM in this United team. He cannot replace Casemiro, they do very different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.