Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pintu

I mean our number 1 CM we are competing with Forest. Maybe alarm bells should be ringing. But no!!
How are we competing with Forest? He’d never consider them….

It’s more like competing with Barcelona and Napoli…. And he’s chosen United already.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Who thinks he’s prime Busquets, by the way?
I'm just referring to the desperation from United supporters on here and social media. They're talking as though this guy will transform our team, when Fiorentina are practically begging for a buyer and our only competition is Nottingham Forest. I'm just highly sceptical of how good this guy actually is.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know we said we were going to start playing hardball over fees but this is ridiculous.

Usually we slag off the Italian clubs for their loan to buy nonsense, but it doesn’t feel great on the other side of the coin either :lol:

OrcaFat

Forest and Galatasaray. That's his level.
He’d play every week for those teams and be one of their best players.

He’ll struggle to get regular starts for us but is still much better than Donny and McT. That’s what we’re going for here. Not Busquets or FDJ or any other hyperbolic comparison. A decent player, better than some we’ve got and available at a price commensurate with his qualities. Cheap at the price, in fact.

OrcaFat

I'm just referring to the desperation from United supporters on here and social media. They're talking as though this guy will transform our team, when Fiorentina are practically begging for a buyer and our only competition is Nottingham Forest. I'm just highly sceptical of how good this guy actually is.
He’s decent. We could do with “decent” right now.

pocco

loco
We've sold Fred, we're doing everything to get rid of Donny, Mainoo is injured, Mount is injured and McT doesn't seem to be a go to since he got on the pitch in minute 88 vs Wolves, minute 85 vs Nottingham and didn't get to play vs Spurs...

Besides Amrabat we've only been linked to Höjbjerg and we all know what Levy will do if we come asking this late in the window. Unless we're really going for him (Amrabat) in one way or the other, what's the options?
Hoping that Eriksen and Casemiro can play every game and McT can get some minutes if we somehow manage to kill a game early on (we all know that's not something we're good at)?
Giving Hannibal some game time, is he really up for it?

I can't see any other scenario than us really going for Amrabat in one way or the other
That's good but what happens when all of those players return? Do we bench £70m Mount? Does Mainoo go back to the U21s? Early retirement for Eriksen or Casemiro? Like you said, McTominay barely features, wait until we add Mainoo and Amrabat back in to the mix

Big Ray

It says we didnt want someone who isnt even Fiorentina's best midfielder
What are you on about? Of course he’s Fiorentina’s best midfielder. What has he done to this poster - maybe he used to date someone close to you? You seem to have a real agenda against him for whatever reason.

pocco

loco
This guy was one of the stars of the World cup and in the best xi from the tournament. shaking my head

https://broadwaysportsmedia.com/2022-world-cup-best-xi/
Never judge players on the World Cup. Liverpool did that with Senegal in 2002 and look where that got them. There are always players that shine at the World Cup that continue to be average when it is all over. Look at the list of clubs this guy has played for....Utrecht, Feyenoord, Club Brugge, Hellas Verona, Fiorentina. At 27 years old I really doubt he has slipped through the net of big clubs and his talent gone unnoticed.

Mainoldo

How are we competing with Forest? He’d never consider them….

It’s more like competing with Barcelona and Napoli…. And he’s chosen United already.
Napoli the same club who offered a loan deal?

He’s only not considering Forest because we want him. The question is, should we?!

We’ve seen in January that just getting a number isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

evil_geko

Never judge players on the World Cup. Liverpool did that with Senegal in 2002 and look where that got them. There are always players that shine at the World Cup that continue to be average when it is all over. Look at the list of clubs this guy has played for....Utrecht, Feyenoord, Club Brugge, Hellas Verona, Fiorentina. At 27 years old I really doubt he has slipped through the net of big clubs and his talent gone unnoticed.
There are also players with great WC that continue to be great, there are examples of both. This transfer, like any other, is a risk, we bought so many players on the back of good seasons that turned out crap here, so we can all just wait and see before dooming and glooming.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Amrabat can just reject every move till they accept our loan. Hypothetically.

mav_9me

Four obvious points spring to mind.

First, Chelsea generate a lot of money from selling players brought through their academy. The way FFP and amoritization works is that for accounting purposes you can spread the cost of the incoming signings over multiple years so you can spend up to 5 times what you make. That is a very simplistic take but essentially it works that way although at some point you will have to stop spending because of all the amoritized fees you are carrying.

Second, owners can inject capital into the club to help balance the books and Clearlake have done this. The Glazers on the other hand have never put one penny into Manchester United and never will.

Third, Chelsea had transfer losses of over 1 billion which were transferred to a holding company owned by Roman who then kindly forgave the lot when selling the club so the new owners inherited a team that was completely debt free, we are hamstrung by colossal debts that have cost us over 1 billion in interest payments.

Fourth and final, according to the likes of Simon Jordan Chelsea actually don't give a flying frak about FFP and have already budgeted for the inevitable fines which they will consider money well spent if it tilts competitive balance in their favour.
The bolded part is something no one ever mentions and makes me irrationally mad.

Not to mention the debt part.

This tweet illustrates our problem. As long as the Glazers own us, we will not win a title. 100% sure of it.

pocco

loco
There are also players with great WC that continue to be great, there are examples of both. This transfer, like any other, is a risk, we bought so many players on the back of good seasons that turned out crap here, so we can all just wait and see before dooming and glooming.
Yeah I do get what you're saying, too early to tell and all that. I've just got a bad feeling we're loading the club up with deadwood again that would be useless to another manager.

Bogga

That's good but what happens when all of those players return? Do we bench £70m Mount? Does Mainoo go back to the U21s? Early retirement for Eriksen or Casemiro? Like you said, McTominay barely features, wait until we add Mainoo and Amrabat back in to the mix
Rotation... I'm not saying two players are gonna play 95 minutes of every game. But with all our injuries atm, that's what we're looking at

evil_geko

Come on now, this is Ten Hag we're talking about. You and I both know that at least 2 of these players won't see the light of day this season.
Managers can change and evolve, let's hope that is the case with ETH and his rotation of players.

mav_9me

The desperation is for a good squad addition, one who is better than McT. Not desperate that we are missing out on prime Busquets as you put it.

cyberman

The bolded part is something no one ever mentions and makes me irrationally mad.

Not to mention the debt part.

This tweet illustrates our problem. As long as the Glazers own us, we will not win a title. 100% sure of it.

Nothing wrong with quality squad fillers. We really should be taking advantage of this market more often. Weghorst and Sabitzer loans allowed us to wait for Hojlund and Mount.

ShinjiNinja26

Romano’s either been fed lies or is chatting bollocks. He’s been saying for weeks now that once we shifted Fred and Donny we’d move for Amrabat. Well we’ve shifted Fred and have sold Henderson for £15 + 5m surely we could stretch to £17m for Amrabat? How much did he think we’d get for Donny?

pocco

loco
The desperation is for a good squad addition, one who is better than McT. Not desperate that we are missing out on prime Busquets as you put it.
We've just signed Mount for big money and McTominay has played about 5 minutes in 3 games so far. Honestly at this stage I'm convinced it's panic stations at Old Trafford after the start we've had and we're throwing enough shit at the wall that we hope something sticks. This is the approach that got us into the mess we are in, constantly trying to get rid of players that don't work out and were never good enough in the first place.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They won’t do a straight swap. They’ll want an obligation to buy at the end but I don’t think we should go for that. They’ll be better players on the market next year so we won’t want to be stuck with him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be a smart signing imo. He's a high volume passer, shows a lot of composure on the ball, adds technical security in the deeper build up phase and can occupy the central centre back (CCB) role in a 3 man back-line in build up. His long passing ranks in the 99th percentile for passes attempted/completed and there was a reason Fiorentina ranked among the best teams in the league at keeping possession with players like Amrabat. It's a smart signing on a possible low fee for a player that we don't have in midfield.

With Casemiro, Eriksen, Amrabat and Mainoo, that's a good variety of players to have in the first phase of midfield. Then in advanced midfield positions we have Bruno, Mount and possibly Hannibal.

That should hopefully open up the opportunity for us to go big on a midfielder and CB in the following summer. A midfielder who is the controller type with the ability to pass through the lines, evade pressure comfortably whilst also having the out of possession game to control opposition transitions. With the CB we also require someone who ticks the boxes when it comes to in-possession but out of possession I feel we should target someone who has the pace, power and athleticism to go along with the ability on the ball.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Nothing wrong with quality squad fillers. We really should be taking advantage of this market more often. Weghorst and Sabitzer loans allowed us to wait for Hojlund and Mount.
This is off topic, so apologies.

We knew in Jan 2022, that Greenwood was gone, Cavani was leaving in summer, Martial went on loan to Sevilla. So our only striker was Ronaldo who we got rid before Jan 2023. So on Jan 1, 2023, all we had was Rashford as our striker and Martial if you want to count him. And all we add is Weghorst on a loan?

In general I agree use proper loans to fill short term holes. But in general as a club what we have done in support of ETH is abysmal, mainly from a planning perspective and that imo is mainly on the owners and partly on the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.