Solskjær press conference vs Milan (A)

lysglimt

Scout
Rashy out vs AC Milan
“I don’t think he’ll be available for tomorrow. Didn’t train today. Normally very optimistic but think he is out of tomorrow night and a doubt for the weekend.”
Solskjaer
You do know that post was made 7 days ago prior to the first game right ?

red4ever 79

Solskjaer is joined by Marcus Rashford and the first question is for him:

Rashford on Tomorrow's Game
"It's a massive game for us and I'm feeling positive and optimistic. The first performacne showed can can do well in difficult conditions and now we go to the San Siro. We're
looking to have a dominant display."
Thought Milan were the better team in the first leg, certainly first half and last 20 mins.

red4ever 79

"I felt a big rebuild had to be made. The league is always the bread and butter and that's when you see how capable you are.

"The cups are sometimes an ego thing for managers and clubs. It's not like a trophy will say 'we are back', no. It's gradual progression at the top of the league. Sometimes the cup competitions can hide your progress a bit.

[/QUOTE]
Awful statement to make. Happy finishing 2nd in the league and getting his excuses in for another cup knockout.

macheda14

"I felt a big rebuild had to be made. The league is always the bread and butter and that's when you see how capable you are.

"The cups are sometimes an ego thing for managers and clubs. It's not like a trophy will say 'we are back', no. It's gradual progression at the top of the league. Sometimes the cup competitions can hide your progress a bit.

Awful statement to make. Happy finishing 2nd in the league and getting his excuses in for another cup knockout.
It’s also true. Us to winning the FA cup under LVG wasn’t really a sign of progression. Arsenal winning the FA cups in recent years while their league positions kept dropping wasn’t a sign of progression.

M Bison

Supports
York City

[/QUOTE]

Its how I feel too to be honest, 2nd is the priority for me and a cup is a bonus but the priority is 2nd in my eyes.

RedTiger

Half mast

[/QUOTE]
Might be an awful statement but it's also entirely true.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

[/QUOTE]

Imagine getting upset over a bland statement like that

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Rashy out vs AC Milan
“I don’t think he’ll be available for tomorrow. Didn’t train today. Normally very optimistic but think he is out of tomorrow night and a doubt for the weekend.”
Solskjaer
That quote is from last week mate, in the presser prior to the first leg. No way Rashford does the presser if he's not fit

Withnail

[/QUOTE]

Not this quote shit again. :lol:

He also went on to say that the players need to get used to the demands of playing multiple competitions and that consistency would bring trophies.

always_hoping

[/QUOTE]
Would be daft to be getting upset and wouldn't call it bland.

Many teams can win a cup and it can mask over where they really are. Arsenal last season for example and United in the 80s was like that also.

I'd hope any trophy won this season can be a stepping stone towards major honours in the years ahead as FA Cup, cup winners Cup 1990, 1991 was.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Would be daft to be getting upset and wouldn't call it bland.

Many teams can win a cup and it can mask over where they really are. Arsenal last season for example and United in the 80s was like that also.

I'd hope any trophy won this season can be a stepping stone towards major honours in the years ahead as FA Cup, cup winners Cup 1990, 1991 was.
Maybe not bland, but saying cups not nesscarily are the best yard stick for progress compared to the league is hardly controversial

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You do know that post was made 7 days ago prior to the first game right ?
says it all when someone is so desperate to have a moan they don't even check the date of what they're moaning about:lol::lol::lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Not this quote shit again. :lol:

He also went on to say that the players need to get used to the demands of playing multiple competitions and that consistency would bring trophies.
You need to look at the quoted content and remove the extra end quote command (the stuff wrappend in sqaure brackets [ ])

mu4c_20le

He's 100% correct except maybe the CL. Cups fan be fluked while league requires consistency.

el3mel

Cup success and what it would mean

Oh look, we used to mock Poch for, guess what, saying exactly the same quote and thought it meant he doesn't have winning mentality. The irony my man :

https://www.skysports.com/football/...o-and-tottenham-always-want-to-be-in-top-four

"Again we're going to have the debate whether a trophy will take the club to the next level. I don't agree with it. It only builds your ego. The most important thing for Tottenham right now is to always be in the top four."
Crazy how word to word they're very similar quotes. Interesting to see the opinion of those who mocked this quote earlier.

zizou81

Small club mentality. I remember everyone upset at moyes making similar statements. It is not an ego thing. It is a man united thing to win trophies. We are not Everton, Newcastle etc.

lysglimt

Scout
He's 100% correct except maybe the CL. Cups fan be fluked while league requires consistency.
Exactly - when we won the Europa League in 2017 we were so lucky with both the draws and all our main competitors going out against underdogs.

Rostov had a really bad season in Russia and ended 11th after qualifying for E.L after finishing 6th the season before,
Anderlecht ended 3rd in the Belgian league
Celta Vigo were well at the bottom half in Spain when we played them and lost 50% of their games that season

And with all due respect to Ajax - it's not the worst team to play in a final as they were extremely young and inexperienced. Talented yes, but filled with 18-21 year olds.

So a bad Russian team, a good Belgian team, a really bad spanish team and a young but very talented dutch team.

Compare that to playing Real Sociedad who are 5th in Spain and Milan who are 2nd in Italy.

You can go very far in a cup by being lucky,

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Exactly - when we won the Europa League in 2017 we were so lucky with both the draws and all our main competitors going out against underdogs.

Rostov had a really bad season in Russia and ended 11th after qualifying for E.L after finishing 6th the season before,
Anderlecht ended 3rd in the Belgian league
Celta Vigo were well at the bottom half in Spain when we played them and lost 50% of their games that season

And with all due respect to Ajax - it's not the worst team to play in a final as they were extremely young and inexperienced. Talented yes, but filled with 18-21 year olds.

So a bad Russian team, a good Belgian team, a really bad spanish team and a young but very talented dutch team.

Compare that to playing Real Sociedad who are 5th in Spain and Milan who are 2nd in Italy.

You can go very far in a cup by being lucky,
Agreed and precisely why international and club cup competitions tend to throw up a few unexpected winners at times.

Velvet Revolver

Cup success and what it would mean

If cups are not that important why does he not play the kids, let them have fun while the 1st team focuses on the league? he is just making statements to lower expectations.