Solskjær press conference vs Saints (A)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solskjaer on Varane and Sancho
“Well, you’ll see you on Sunday [Varane and Sancho]. They’ve worked well, they’ve had minutes, we’ve had a very good week ourselves and we’ll see who is making the flight down on Saturday."

Samid

Solskjaer coy on Pogba
"For me, me and Paul work together every day and we keep on trying to improve, improve the team and to enjoy ourselves when we just have to make sure we don’t make this one game and everyone flys off on it with the big headlines and the praise we get. It’s about bringing the energy and being even better. One swallow never makes a summer."

Samid

James Garner will go out on loan
"I would definitely think Jimmy will go on loan, that's more or less done, he's done really well in pre season and really impressed me. For his career, another season or another six months playing regularly will help him. With Amad, I have to say he's doing really, really well in training, he's come back a little later after the Olympics and now he's looking really good. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays as well. It has to be the right loan, the club, way of playing etc."

Rojofiam

James Garner will go out on loan
"I would definitely think Jimmy will go on loan, that's more or less done, he's done really well in pre season and really impressed me. For his career, another season or another six months playing regularly will help him. With Amad, I have to say he's doing really, really well in training, he's come back a little later after the Olympics and now he's looking really good. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays as well. It has to be the right loan, the club, way of playing etc."
I suppose Amad won't be going to Sheffield then

Samid

Why does Solskjaer like Varane?
"I think if you've followed football the last 10 years, that's the reason we want to sign him, over his career, it's no secret we were close when he left for Real Madrid 10 yrs ago. Sir Alex was there speaking to them, we were close, and ever since his performances on the pitch, behaviour and demeanour off the pitch tell me that's a Man Utd player and we tried to convince him to have the feeling of Man Utd.

That's been in his heart ever since he went to Real, and we have had feelings for him for many, many years. CL, WC wins, everything about him is class. Quick strong, good in the air, can play with both feet, the short answer is everything about him is what you want. He's been humble, he's inquisitive, he asks questions, he doesn't wanna learn by a mistake in the game, he wants to learn it on the training field, everything about him has been impressive."

Samid

Solskjaer on Cavani
"Edinson's always looked after himself and is lacking in team training, football training, he had different reasons to why he came late. There were some personal reasons and his body can tolerate a lot, it was something required not physically, a different matter, he's ready to train, ready to go and let's see how much we can get out of him."

Samid

Solskjaer gives update on Henderson
"I think the whole situation around Covid is still unknown and its's new for everyone, that's the scary bit, you hear people, less fit people than footballers have it and no symptoms and footballers get side-effects, tiredness, it's a scary disease and virus. We need to be careful. Dean was tired after training, now he feels much better, he's passed all the tests and he's training, building himself up again because he's lost a few weeks, he's working hard on the grass."

Samid

On Lingard's future
"I think Jesse's first priority is to get into our team, whenever your employer is Man Utd that's your first priority, it always is. We together can have great moments.

As a manager, with players and a squad, like I've got now, it's difficult to say this weekend you're not playing. I've got to leave players out of the starting XI and squad. But they all have to remember they're gonna play a part if we're gonna be successful. Jesse's back to fitness played really well in BCD game, come back in good shape, he's got a big part to play."

Samid

Solskjaer on anti-vaxxers
"They're not all double jabbed, no. I am and I encourage the lads to take the vaccination but we can't force anyone to do that, no. To my understanding, we're still wanting everyone to be double jabbed and it's up to them, it's possible to take them."

Samid

Solskjaer sends warning over United starting slow
"It'll be a big difference [return of crowds], I don't know how many points but we won so many going one goal down and you can't afford to do that with fans away from home.

It will mean so much, extra edge, nerves if you're away fans so we have to approach the games, start better, that's a definite, call it to manage the game, away fans are the ones that are heard.

We've got the best away fans in the world but we can only hear them if we play well and start well. It's not gonna happen for the first game at Saint Marys in 18 months but it's up to us to do that as well."

mu4c_20le

On Lingard's future
"I think Jesse's first priority is to get into our team, whenever your employer is Man Utd that's your first priority, it always is. We together can have great moments.

As a manager, with players and a squad, like I've got now, it's difficult to say this weekend you're not playing. I've got to leave players out of the starting XI and squad. But they all have to remember they're gonna play a part if we're gonna be successful. Jesse's back to fitness played really well in BCD game, come back in good shape, he's got a big part to play."
Give him a new contract then. We can't let two stars leave for free.

Samid

Solskjaer on Varane again
He's been keeping fit, he’s a naturally fit lad and he's had a good week. He’s coming through the last session and if that goes well he’ll probably travel. Looking at him from afar, you see he’s a professional and humble lad, he’s a winner. He’s still asking questions, he wants to learn about how we want to play and he’s hard-working. Of course, he wants to do the foundation first before he goes into a very intense season, I’m sure."

he's

scottw

Supports
ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
I suppose Amad won't be going to Sheffield then
I sure hope not, I want him around Cavi and the boys this season learning, bc his time is coming, I hope! He is fun to watch!

red_de_pologne

Varane's starting and rightly so.

Anyone thinking Ole will reward Lidelof for a good game, just go back to when Bailly had a good game and he was off to the bench as soon as Lindelof was half fit.

RedDevil@84

Solskjaer coy on Pogba
"For me, me and Paul work together every day and we keep on trying to improve, improve the team and to enjoy ourselves when we just have to make sure we don’t make this one game and everyone flys off on it with the big headlines and the praise we get. It’s about bringing the energy and being even better. One swallow never makes a summer."
So he is saying he is not expecting Pogba to repeat the feat anytime soon :lol:

dave2528

Give him a new contract then. We can't let two stars leave for free.
Jesse Lindgard is not nor has ever been a star.

I'm not alone in thinking this because, otherwise, any other club could have had him for a pittance but instead he's still on the books here.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Jesse Lindgard is not nor has ever been a star.

I'm not alone in thinking this because, otherwise, any other club could have had him for a pittance but instead he's still on the books here.
He might be one day, still developing!

Rojofiam

I sure hope not, I want him around Cavi and the boys this season learning, bc his time is coming, I hope! He is fun to watch!
I personally wouldn't send him on loan either, but it seems that the club are willing to. I hope he can go to a side that play good football and could guarantee him a lot of playtime.

IncyWincySpider

What are the comments on Cavani eluding to? Was it just that he spent time with family after the Olympics or something?

Matriac

What are the comments on Cavani eluding to? Was it just that he spent time with family after the Olympics or something?
Yeah, people were complaining why he wasn't back in training sooner. Ole just explained that he had been given a bit longer vacation, and saying that it had nothing to do with fitness. (They might have already agreed this when he signed the extension, that he'd get a bit more time with his family back in Uruguay before coming back, since the last season in lockdown got quite lonely for him.)

FatTails

"They're not all double jabbed, no. I am and I encourage the lads to take the vaccination but we can't force anyone to do that, no. To my understanding, we're still wanting everyone to be double jabbed and it's up to them, it's possible to take them."
Shocking.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yeah, people were complaining why he wasn't back in training sooner. Ole just explained that he had been given a bit longer vacation, and saying that it had nothing to do with fitness. (They might have already agreed this when he signed the extension, that he'd get a bit more time with his family back in Uruguay before coming back, since the last season in lockdown got quite lonely for him.)
Think that was the original reason for him intially saying he wasn't extending wasn't it? Nothing to do with the football or the club he was missing his family so much with the travel restrictions - sounds like they have found a compromise which is good news for everyone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That Cavani hadn't seen his family for a long time, so he gave him an extended break to be mentally happy.

He's basically saying his body can take a lot but he needed it to be happy, which I can't blame him. Ole did a great thing to let him have more time and trust him to keep fit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I am sorry but what. I am so over players and anyone without a mediacl reason (actual ingredient allergies) that refuse to get vaccinated at this stage.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Solskjaer on Cavani
"Edinson's always looked after himself and is lacking in team training, football training, he had different reasons to why he came late. There were some personal reasons and his body can tolerate a lot, it was something required not physically, a different matter, he's ready to train, ready to go and let's see how much we can get out of him."

Just to clarify this point a but since the answer feels confusing.

Cavani had originally planned on leaving the club and moving to South America following last season. Culturally he's from a part of the world that are very close with their families, and frankly he has been away from his for a long time because of Covid. Edison agreed to extend his stay at Manchester United for another year much in part because of the pleas of his teammates, but also a wish to play infront of the Old Trafford crowd (his own words). In short the club made a player who was originally very homesick decide to put his future on hold for another year for the sake of more time with his teammates.

In turn Ole has granted Cavani an extended stay in Uruguay to have some quality time with his close family.

What's important is that the man who returns is not just happy with how the club treats him as their employee, but returns highly motivated and willing to put on one big last hurrah in his final season in Europe.

He'll go to South America and most likely Boca Juniors in 2022, where he will be seens as something of a deity. The passion these fans have for the big stars is just unreal.

It's the long farewell of El Matador, and I so hope it will be one we will talk about long after he's retired.

ElectroManiac

So he is saying he is not expecting Pogba to repeat the feat anytime soon :lol:
Only 7 times has a player manage to do 4 assist in a premier league game so yeah I'm not surprise if doesn't expect Pogba to do it again.

What matters is that he can be more consistent in getting 1 assist or a goal per game

SATA

Seem like he has his family here in Manchester and pretty well settled. We’ll certainly see a much more happier and motivated Cavani playing his heart out for the club after what it has done for him

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not a single question about a third signing ?
"We've done well, went in early and signed two players who will help us improve as a group. Anything else now will be a bonus. The market is different with covid, so you never know."

He didn't say any of that, but, if asked, it's what he would have.

Cantonagotmehere

Just to clarify this point a but since the answer feels confusing.

Cavani had originally planned on leaving the club and moving to South America following last season. Culturally he's from a part of the world that are very close with their families, and frankly he has been away from his for a long time because of Covid. Edison agreed to extend his stay at Manchester United for another year much in part because of the pleas of his teammates, but also a wish to play infront of the Old Trafford crowd (his own words). In short the club made a player who was originally very homesick decide to put his future on hold for another year for the sake of more time with his teammates.

In turn Ole has granted Cavani an extended stay in Uruguay to have some quality time with his close family.

What's important is that the man who returns is not just happy with how the club treats him as their employee, but returns highly motivated and willing to put on one big last hurrah in his final season in Europe.

He'll go to South America and most likely Boca Juniors in 2022, where he will be seens as something of a deity. The passion these fans have for the big stars is just unreal.

It's the long farewell of El Matador, and I so hope it will be one we will talk about long after he's retired.
Thanks for this and agreed.

RedDevilRoshi

Not a single question about a third signing ?
Nothing else to be said about that other than anyone else brought in now is going to be a bonus which he has already said before. Would have just got the same answer.

Think it’s fair to say the club went into this summer targeting Jadon Sancho & a CB. Another player or two may have been brought in depending if we can sell some players but as we all know, selling the deadwood seems to have been a major struggle due to the high wages they are already on.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Got any other gems up your sleeve?
"Tom's a great signing, lots of experience, and, being a Utd lad, its great to have him back where he started. He'll fit in well with the other lads in the goalkeeping department and help them to improve. Doubt he'll play a single second during the season."