Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If that’s why you’re claiming, then referencing SAF and Klopp’s positions in their first seasons is pointless.

Because what your post suggests is that they both had bad starts and were given time so same should be done for Ole and if so, why not Moyes who was performing marginally better than Ole get the sack?

Also if Ole wasn’t a club legend, would you still want him in charge now? Genuine question.
I don't get it either when people bring up SAF or Klopp. What's the point of referencing them if you're not comparing them?

Gehrman

Moyes took over the champions of England whereas Ole took over a fecking mess. Why anyone would try to pretend the situations are comparable is beyond me.
Why are we being outperformed by a team like Leicester?

SteveW

I don't get it either when people bring up SAF or Klopp. What's the point of referencing them if you're not comparing them?
Because they'd have both been sacked if people were as impatient with them as they are with Ole. Essentially he has to do it better and quicker than two of the greatest ever managers or he should be sacked. It's unrealistic.

bleedred

Moyes took over the champions of England whereas Ole took over a fecking mess. Why anyone would try to pretend the situations are comparable is beyond me.
Moyes- Took over a team that finished with 89 points and Ole took over a team that finished with 81 points and both are heading in the same trajectory.

BlackBen

Which mess exactly did Ole take over because last time I checked the “mess” finished second in the previous season. All we heard was how toxic the atmosphere at the club was and Ole was bringing the happiness back.

Also are you saying the likes of Sheffield, Leicester , Burnley have better players done us? Why are they outperforming us?

Gehrman

Because they'd have both been sacked if people were as impatient with them as they are with Ole. Essentially he has to do it better and quicker than two of the greatest ever managers or he should be sacked. It's unrealistic.
Well shouldn't we just have stuck with LVG or Mourinho then?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Which mess exactly did Ole take over because last time I checked the “mess” finished second in the previous season. All we heard was how toxic the atmosphere at the club was and Ole was bringing the happiness back.

Also are you saying the likes of Sheffield, Leicester , Burnley have better players done us? Why are they outperforming us?
When Solskjær came in we were so far off the top four places people thought it would be impossible to get back in. Despite that we almost got into the top four, finishing second the season previous clearly wasn’t going to become a regular occurrence.

Acquire Me

With that logic we should have sacked them a lot sooner than we did. SteveW is only saying it’s to early to make a call. His right and most people know that. We can be pissed and sad about our situation, but it is premature to make a call now.

SteveW

No. They both had plenty of time and money to gets things right and failed. They wasted a billion pounds between them.

SteveW

Fred and Pereira wouldn't get into any of those teams. But they can get into ours.

Ekeke

Learning is good. Hope he keeps doing that.
Had plenty of time for it now, needs to show he can be a good manager. His main problem seems to be the same thing as at Cardiff, when heads have dropped he cant get the team back playing positively. Couldnt do it then and hasnt done it after his initial great run in the honeymoon period.

Pace Abuser

I know a PE teacher who could do with some on the job experience in managing a football club. Manchester United, where managers, players, coaches, and bankers come for job experience :lol:

BlackBen

When Solskjær came in we were so far off the top four places people thought it would be impossible to get back in. Despite that we almost got into the top four, finishing second the season previous clearly wasn’t going to become a regular occurrence.
So why are we not performing now? That’s the question. Could it be that, that top four run was due to new manager bounce ? Also why did our performances drop significantly after Ole was confirmed as full time manager?

SteveW

Had plenty of time for it now, needs to show he can be a good manager. His main problem seems to be the same thing as at Cardiff, when heads have dropped he cant get the team back playing positively. Couldnt do it then and hasnt done it after his initial great run in the honeymoon period.
The complete lack of a midfield is a bigger problem imo.

Gehrman

Fred and Pereira wouldn't get into any of those teams. But they can get into ours.
Which is why we should have bought midfielders in the summer. And not shipped off forwards if we're not replacing them. We're 12 points behind Leicester after 13 games. There squad can't all that much better considering we finished 2nd the season before last.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So why are we not performing now? That’s the question. Could it be that, that top four run was due to new manager bounce ? Also why did our performances drop significantly after Ole was confirmed as full time manager?
We've lodt 1 game in the last 8 played. (I'm not counting the Astana game since the club didn't count it as a game worth attending). We're not in freefall, jeus

SteveW

Andreas would get in both teams
Why do you randomly fall in love with players? Andreas has been awful. His average rating is 4.7 this season which seems generous to be honest.

fergosaurus

Moyes was never going to succeed here but taking over straight after Sir Alex was an impossible job. The team was much worse than SAF made it look and him resigning demoralised the squad no more so than RvP whose form fell off a cliff.

Ole inherited a mess too but it's unfair to Moyes to not give context on the shitshow he walked into after Sir Alex and David Gill leaving.

SteveW

Which is why we should have bought midfielders in the summer. And not shipped off forwards if we're not replacing them. We're 12 points behind Leicester after 13 games. There squad can't all that much better considering we finished 2nd the season before last.
But we knew that before the season began, but Ole worryingly seemed to think we’re fine.
We definitely should have signed midfielders in the summer. We were fecked before we ever started imo.

fergieisold

The standard of this is club has been truly and well lowered. If someone told you that the top 4 trophy would be enough after Fergie, you'd laugh in their face. Now it's barely the top 6 trophy, but fans are happy as long as we're running harder and playing youth.
That has nothing to do with what I just said. The club has been handled terribly since SAF left and the standard has already been lowered. We're starting from a mid table position in my opinion and we need to understand the reality of that.

SteveW

Moyes was never going to succeed here but taking over straight after Sir Alex was an impossible job. The team was much worse than SAF made it look and him resigning demoralised the squad no more so than RvP whose form fell off a cliff.

Ole inherited a mess too but it's unfair to Moyes to not give context on the shitshow he walked into after Sir Alex and David Gill leaving.
I have major issues with Moyes to be honest. He seemed completely unprepared. He had no idea who he wanted to sign and spent the summer chasing unattainable targets.

He didn't even do his homework when it came to the squad he took over. I'll give one obvious example. Rio had a back back when Moyes took over and hadn't played two games in a week for over a year before SAF finished. Then Moyes came in a played him every game until he broke down. This was something every supporter was aware of but Moyes wasn't. That's one of many examples I could give.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We got a few injuries against Liverpool and never recovered.
When we went on a winning run last season we could field Matic and Herrera behind Pogba, today we’re playing Fred and Pereira behind Mata.
Simply put, Jose’s signings (Matic mainly) were short term options that haven’t been replaced for one reason or another.

fergosaurus

I have major issues with Moyes to be honest. He seemed completely unprepared. He had no idea who he wanted to sign and spent the summer chasing unattainable targets.

He didn't even do his homework when it came to the squad he took over. I'll give one obvious example. Rio had a back back when Moyes took over and hadn't played two games in a week for over a year before SAF finished. Then Moyes came in a played him every game until he broke down. This was something every supporter was aware of but Moyes wasn't. That's one of many examples I could give.
There are similar examples we could give for Ole too. Like rushing Pogba back for a league cup game at home to Rochdale for him to get a long term injury.

Also spending the bulk of our transfer budget on the defence while neglecting our midfield and leaving us heavily reliant on Pogba for creativity.

SteveW

There are similar examples we could give for Ole too. Like rushing Pogba back for a league cup game at home to Rochdale for him to get a long term injury.

Also spending the bulk of our transfer budget on the defence while neglecting our midfield and leaving us heavily reliant on Pogba for creativity.
Ah come on. Players get injured. The physios would have cleared him to play that game. It's hardly the same as overworking a 36 year old with a bad back.

I thought not signing a midfielder was suicidal and ruined our season. This has had a much bigger impact than any perceived issue with Ole's coaching of the players. Whether that's down to Ole of Ed though is anyone's guess though.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The revisionist attitude by some is incredible.

Ole didn't take over a mess?? Holy christ!

I'm far from convinced he is going to produce, really far from it. But to alter history to support your bitterness is pathetic to be fair.

fergosaurus

Ah come on. Players get injured. The physios would have cleared him to play that game. It's hardly the same as overworking a 36 year old with a bad back.

I thought not signing a midfielder was suicidal and ruined our season. This has had a much bigger impact than any perceived issue with Ole's coaching of the players. Whether that's down to Ole of Ed though is anyone's guess though.
I'd argue it's worse as our entire season's success was probably dependent on keeping Pogba fit and in form. It was a really bad decision to play him in a meaningless game like that.

SteveW

I'd argue it's worse as our entire season's success was probably dependent on keeping Pogba fit and in form. It was a really bad decision to play him in a meaningless game like that.
He could have got injured in any game. If he was cleared as fit to play it's not on the manager for picking him.

SteveW

The revisionist attitude by some is incredible.

Ole didn't take over a mess?? Holy christ!

I'm far from convinced he is going to produce, really far from it. But to alter history to support your bitterness is pathetic to be fair.
Really? We'd made about 1 good signing in 6 years while the teams around us consistently improved their squads. you simply can't do that for 6 years and hope to get away with it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Win today, and get up to 5th, a mere 6 points off 4th, then all of a sudden it doesn't look the disaster it's looked at other points.

fergosaurus

He could have got injured in any game. If he was cleared as fit to play it's not on the manager for picking him.
He'd been out for three weeks with an ankle injury prior to the Rochdale match. It was senseless to play him when he could have got a few days extra recovery time. The blame lies with the manager not the medical staff.

SteveW

He'd been out for three weeks with an ankle injury prior to the Rochdale match. It was senseless to play him when he could have got a few days extra recovery time. The blame lies with the manager not the medical staff.
Personally I probably would have rested him but Ole probably though he could do with a game for sharpness. If the physios said he was fit he should have been fine to play.