Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

izec

He fluked it at the same time his Spurs side were at their worst of his 5 years in charge. CL finals weren't the norm that we could hope for.

That's what these players pretty much are though, 6th-7th place level. Did those fans (of Everton, Newcastle etc) believe just a change in manager would take them higher? We'd have laughed at them.
They were never one of the biggest spenders in the league. Not too long ago we reached the second place and won the Europa League/FA cup, something these clubs almost never did. It is in fact with Ole where we are more on their standard level than ever before. The longer we keep him, the more established we will get in that area

manunited1919

I think it would be ridiculous if they have that kind of influence over Ole.

We can’t blame the manager for everything but it shouldn’t really be a shock to anyone that a manager who wasn’t good enough and has achieved nothing in his career to suggest he was, looks like he isn’t good enough. Saying Ole isn’t good enough is really just stating the obvious.

Do you think the board would really get away from what they have been doing for years and follow the “buy british players who care about the club” strategy just on Ole’s advice? Don’t you think it is ridiculous for a manager that has done nothing during his entire carreer to have the soft power necessary to completely change our recruitment strategy all by himself?

Removing Ole at this stage doesn’t fix anything.

The Bloody-Nine

Do you think the board would really get away from what they have been doing for years and follow the “buy british players who care about the club” strategy just on Ole’s advice? Don’t you think it is ridiculous for a manager that has done nothing during his entire carreer to have the soft power necessary to completely change our recruitment strategy all by himself?

Removing Ole at this stage doesn’t fix anything.
Sure it does. It means we no longer have an incompetent manager. We then go from there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They were never one of the biggest spenders in the league. Not too long ago we reached the second place and won the Europa League/FA cup, something these clubs almost never did. It is in fact with Ole where we are more on their standard level than ever before. The longer we keep him, the more established we will get in that area
They had an excellent spell of bargain buys when players were a lot cheaper and Kane coming through at the same time. £5m Allis and £12m Eriksens don't exist anymore. Expecting the same thing to happen here because people associate it with Poch is a pipe dream.

We last won stuff when we had Ibrahimovic up front and actually had some subs that could change a game. Quality players make the difference.

AC1689

Interesting to see on MOTD2 that there’s zero mention or criticism of Ole. Just criticism of the shape of the team and that they don’t know how we’re trying to play. They’ve been saying the same thing for weeks and weeks and still don’t criticise the manager.

It’s bizarre. In a period where we’ve just seen Unai and Poch sacked, shouldn’t a quality footballing programme be asking the question that if both Spurs and Arsenal who were languishing on similar points have sacked both their managers, is Ole under pressure? They don’t even need to slate him, just ask the question.

I cannot fathom this weird easy ride he’s getting with the press. If this was happening under Jose or any other manager, the knives would be out somewhat.

Enigma_87

You know who
Interesting to see on MOTD2 that there’s zero mention or criticism of Ole. Just criticism of the shape of the team and that they don’t know how we’re trying to play. They’ve been saying the same thing for weeks and weeks and still don’t criticise the manager.

It’s bizarre. In a period where we’ve just seen Unai and Poch sacked, shouldn’t a quality footballing programme be asking the question that if both Spurs and Arsenal who were languishing on similar points have sacked both their managers, is Ole under pressure? They don’t even need to slate him, just ask the question.

I cannot fathom this weird easy ride he’s getting with the press. If this was happening under Jose or any other manager, the knives would be out somewhat.
Not when you have mates like Neville in the booth.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
we should have won last week having Gone 3-2 up. The 20 mins of attacking play was electric. The game today I couldn’t believe we got 2-1 up then chuck it away straight away again. Both games we missed having a good steady Eddie centre mid to just calm the game down and see it out. He can’t help playing that shit midfield we’ve got no one else. We are not far off being a good goal scoring team. Previous managers haven’t had the team scoring goals
:houllier:

You do realize we have scored just 29 goals in 21 matches across all competitions this season? Last season at this exact same juncture we had 30 goals in 20 matches, and that was Mourinho in full blown meltdown and a club in crisis.

Some of the stats which you can read about his tenure are just damning, as a club we haven't won back to back Premier League games since last February. Is that in any way, shape, or form acceptable? He is an incredibly lucky man to be still in this job.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Think he'll be gone after the spurs game, I've tried to avoid the debate on him, but our football isn't getting any better and our games are becoming all too predictable.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We need to accept there's far more wrong with our club than just the manager. We lined up today with an interior midfield to bleedin' Villa. I don't know how many more times we need to repeat this cycle of sacking managers for the next shiny new one only to shit on them six months down the line. It's the definition of insanity.
Yet again with, opposition had better x than us. When will these excuses end?

Pogba and McTominay were fit and playing at the start of season. We still failed to beat likes of Southampton, Wolves and Palace. Stretch back to last season, and we failed to beat Huddersfield and Cardiff with those two in the middle. Do all of these clubs have superior mid to us? Here is an idea for you which will blow your mind, at this level, coaching and tactics matters. Otherwise, Sheffield Utd wouldn't be sitting above Arsenal and Utd in December. Nor would Leicester be above Manchester City. But, I suspect you knew that already. You just want to invent more excuses to justify shit job Ole is doing.

We need to repeat the cycle of managers till we get it right, like other clubs do. Like we do with most things in life, keep trying till we find the right person/right fit for the job. It is not rocket science

The definition of insanity is persisting with a person clearly not cut out for the job in delusional hope they'll learn and get it right in the future.

Last edited:

croadyman

Think he'll be gone after the spurs game, I've tried to avoid the debate on him, but our football isn't getting any better and our games are becoming all too predictable.
I have come to the conclusion our board won't sack him because then they lose their protective shield.

I always hoped that Woody (Toy Story) would be sacked with yet another failed appointment but nope he is making too much money for the leeches to make that happen.

Really don't know where we should go next because this regime is just making us a toxic unattractive proposition to both potential signings and managers.

Who in their right mind would want to be any part of this mickey mouse organisation right now.

KrasHammerhand

I have been in the group to give him more time, Luke Shaw & Lingard are the changes you make to win a game. Then bring on Greenwood, to take off Martial. Yes the cupboard is pretty bare at the moment but that is pretty sad.
He is sadly out of his depth. We need to bring in Poch

peridigm

I think he could be sacked after City if we lose both matches. I've been on the fence whether he should be sacked. My reasoning is down to having no faith that Woodward or the board to make any fundamental changes to the way the football side of the business is run. If we sack Ole and appoint Poch, it's only a matter of time before he's considered a failure. How long will fans be happy with 4th place? I get that it would be an improvement on our current form but overall, nothing will change. I don't see the board backing any manager with tons of cash and rightly so. LVG and Jose were given loads to spend and not one signing has been deemed worth the value except maybe Herrera and he's gone. Expensive players where brought in and left to sit on the bench. Ole's signings are good overall signings but the rest of the squad is so shit, they're not the type of signings that will lift the rest of the team and help win matches. We're such a disjointed mess right now.

I'd rather keep Ole and have Woodward announce a DoF tomorrow. Leave it up to the DoF to decide Ole's fate. Whether that's to sack him or back him in January. Since a DoF is not going to happen though so I guess it's time to just sack Ole and start from square one, once again. We're in a sad state of affairs from top to bottom right now. I just hope this week is not as embarrassing as my gut tells me it will be. We were played off the pitch by Aston Villa. Spurs and City are going to be a bit too much for us to handle I think.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
What’s really starting to grate me about Ole is the way he’s started using young players as an excuse in every interview he mentions it several times and refers to them as boys, even called 24 year old Andreas a boy. This kills confidence... also he said “inconsistency is to be expected with young boys” yes Ole, but we’re not inconsistent, under you we’re very consistent

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What’s really starting to grate me about Ole is the way he’s started using young players as an excuse in every interview he mentions it several times and refers to them as boys, even called 24 year old Andreas a boy. This kills confidence... also he said “inconsistency is to be expected with young boys” yes Ole, but we’re not inconsistent, under you we’re very consistent
It does appear to be saving his skin for some reason. Some have completely absolved him from any accountability this season becuase of young players/it's a long term project. It's just sad how far we've fallen. At least under LvG and Mourinho I felt there was something to give more time for - achievements/top class ability /leadership /tactical acumen and smaller trophies such as the Europa league/FA cup/top 4 or finishes.

There I was thinking we messed up with those two and our focus on merely results and short cuts instead of excellence and quality of football. Now we've got a manager that neither is tactically progressive not has a history of achieving at the highest level nor can produce results. Complete shit show. Sack him and get a proper modern coach. After 7 years the club it's about time.

SAFMUTD

Agree, comments like “its not an excuse its a young team the boys will learn” its exactly an excuse.

No one is asking the question if playing youngsters is affecting but he brings it to the table by stating its not an excuse. Pure mediocrity and trying to justify his shit circus.

Also what freaking youngsters? The only one he played was Williams, he make it sound as if he played the line up from the Astana match.

amolbhatia50k

Agree, comments like “its not an excuse its a young team the boys will learn” its exactly an excuse.

No one is asking the question if playing youngsters is affecting but he brings it to the table by stating its not an excuse. Pure mediocrity and trying to justify his shit circus.

Also what freaking youngsters? The only one he played was Williams, he make it sound as if he played the line up from the Astana match.
He's deflecting criticism. I have no issue with young players needing to gain maturity and being prone to errors. I have a big issue with them being poorly managed. It's really pretty simple from the young player POV - do we look an well managed exciting young team ? Of course not. We are a poorly managed disjointed where youth is being used as a cushion against criticism. It's not the reason he's playing them. I'm sure he's well intentioned but he can't absolve himself of his own responsibility.

Rauður Djöfull

Why is there nothing in the media about him being under pressure or nothing, surely he is out if we lose to spurs and city ?

Media and commentators and fans were going crazy on Mou this time last year, I don't get it. If Ole has so many fooled he really should go into politics because he has shown nothing on the field to justify him keeping the job

Mr Smith

Why is there nothing in the media about him being under pressure or nothing, surely he is out if we lose to spurs and city ?

Media and commentators and fans were going crazy on Mou this time last year, I don't get it. If Ole has so many fooled he really should go into politics because he has shown nothing on the field to justify him keeping the job
You can guarantee that with Spurs coming up next week, Mourinho will make a not-so-veilled comment in his press conference about the easy ride Ole is getting.

James Ward

Lose the next three matches and United are in a relegation battle. Spurs, City and Everton.

His tactics are not working. I would nearly play Jones in midfield at this stage.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Feels weird that he hasn't even had a one full year in charge. Our fans self-conscience and fear of getting caught in the nostalgia loop Liverpool was in might actually count against Ole. I feel like most managers in similar situation here would be afforded more time in this scenario. At least a year. In some way that's natural due to his lack of top level experience, like with Moyes, but I certainly think the nostalgia angle used against anyone who wants to give Ole a good run of it is completely irrelevant at this stage. So early and most our fans still want him out already, despite him being a bit of a club legend... yeah I'm pretty sure we're probably not going to let nostalgia virus infect our club. There is plenty of other ways to continue failure but I'm not worried about that one. If we appoint Carrick as caretaker or even Giggs there will be riots, for which I'm actually happy.

Tony247

There are 3 threads about Ole and in each thread same users posting similar stuff. Requesting mods to close two of them.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have been in the group to give him more time, Luke Shaw & Lingard are the changes you make to win a game. Then bring on Greenwood, to take off Martial. Yes the cupboard is pretty bare at the moment but that is pretty sad.
I know we're barebones, but the problem for me is that Ole "DID NOT" change the approach.

Same players can work differently if coached and instructed differently. Changing the game isn't always about changing players, it could be changing formation, changing instructions, changing intensity, swapping positions, overloading a certain area of weakness, etc. Ole doesn't have the skillset to implement on the fly changes apart from 1v1 substitutions and hope they worked.

He slumps in the dugout, it's a big sign that he's not tinkering, carrick / mckenna should be communicating, scriblling notes, making observations, not just stand there and looking like mugs. Not saying that pretending to be involved is a good thing, but the way the 3 of them sits there looking disinterested is appaling

At this rate they look more and more clueless.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone else expecting him to be sacked today? I mean we could sack him now and have someone manage the next two games in the caretaker role.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Anyone else expecting him to be sacked today? I mean we could sack him now and have someone manage the next two games in the caretaker role.
If he's gonna get sacked they're gonna give him Spurs/city, it's a bad 2 games for a new manager to slot in.

But I don't think they're gonna sack him, at best he's given an option to resign.

amolbhatia50k

Nah, we don't act swiftly enough. It'll drag on till Feb/March will little bright spots here and there as any manager would manage over time.

trafford1980

No chance at all.

Providing we don't lose to both Spurs and City this week, my gut feeling is that he'll ride it out until January.

In January we'll sign a couple of players and have Pogba back, or his replacement in..

Providing we finish stronger than we started, Ole will be in the seat for the start of next season.

I'm not saying I agree with this scenario, but rightly or wrongly I think it's the likeliest.

amolbhatia50k

No chance at all.

Providing we don't lose to both Spurs and City this week, my gut feeling is that he'll ride it out until January.

In January we'll sign a couple of players and have Pogba back, or his replacement in..

Providing we finish stronger than we started, Ole will be in the seat for the start of next season.

I'm not saying I agree with this scenario, but rightly or wrongly I think it's the likeliest.
I think he'll be gone in the summer. My only hope is that the players he signs this January - which will take spending beyond 200 million if he does spend - alongwith the ones he has already added aren't players the next manager wants to remove. It'll set us back to sign more problems we have to try to get rid of and block funds that the next manager should be able to spend.

Canagel

This substitution changes made me very infuriated. What the hell is going through in his mind?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I look forward to this exact thread next year with a different name in the thread title. The time right before the next appointment is a time of hope and excitement, so sweet. The relieved feeling of realising there is something else entirely out there, something better. Then the inevitable disappointment comes after the initial shag where no football is being played and our struggle to get signings over the line. As the baggage from the last managerial appointment carries over to the next it becomes clear once again that this man is a fraud, for all the reasons in the world and once again are we doomed to fail with this person. Eddie Howe, Pochettino, a german they will all need time and not be given it. I can't think of anyone besides Pep and Klopp that would come here and actually being given time to sort things out.

amolbhatia50k

I look forward to this exact thread next year with a different name in the thread title. The time right before the next appointment is a time of hope and excitement, so sweet. The relieved feeling of realising there is something else entirely out there, something better. Then the inevitable disappointment comes after the initial shag where no football is being played and our struggle to get signings over the line. As the baggage from the last managerial appointment carries over to the next it becomes clear once again that this man is a fraud, for all the reasons in the world and once again are we doomed to fail with this person. Eddie Howe, Pochettino, a german they will all need time and not be given it. I can't think of anyone besides Pep and Klopp that would come here and actually being given time to sort things out.
If the next manager has genuine and obvious potential, he will be given time. Giving our managers more time is the least of our issues.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
As long as the Glazers and Woodward are here we're going to struggle hugely, I totally agree. They are killing the club.

I don't think any new manager is going to walk in and suddenly we'll be brilliant, of course not like I said the squad is shit. But there are without a shadow of a doubt better managers out there than Ole.

We're in relegation form since Ole got the job full time. 27% win rate as Utd manager is absolutely fecking bonkers.

If Pochettino is willing to come and join us now I'd be all over him.
The thing about getting Poch (or anyone else) right now is that it puts them in a really difficult position. People say now that whoever comes in now get a free ride and results does not matter, but we all know thats not true. People said the same thing about Ole and last season is still haunting him today. Jose got sacked because the relations with the players had broken down and they had obviously downed tools, same with Poch at Tottenham.

If that was the case now i would agree he would have to be sacked right away, but thats not the case, we're just fecking shit. Personally i dont want Pochettino. He managed regular top 4 with a much stronger Spurs squad and i honestly think he would struggle badly with this lot

As bad as things are looking now we cant be doing any more knee jerk decisions. Keep Ole until the end of the season (Aprli-May) and then have a proper replacement lined up

Eddy_JukeZ

I really don't see him getting sacked mid-season for whatever reason.

There seems to be no pressure on him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I really don't see him getting sacked mid-season for whatever reason.

There seems to be no pressure on him.
This is the most confusing part. There was so much pressure from media on Emery but barely anything in Ole.

Woodward is probably the most incompetent person at his job. Always leave it too late.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If the next manager has genuine and obvious potential, he will be given time. Giving our managers more time is the least of our issues.
I don't think so. How do you prove obvious and genuine potential. Liverpool fired Rodgers who became sort of a laughing stock and got Klopp after getting fired from Dortmund. It is easy to say when you have the answers but these things change. It is clear we're being run insanely poorly, I don't get why each year we have the same discussions pretending everything will be fine once we get a new manager. It is a top to bottom change, we've tried to implement a plan and do something different. If we quit on yet another project after only a year, no reason to not expect it again, and at some point you have to look at the model we're using and ask why it doesn't work. We're pretending to give them time but Mourinho was not welcome even before he came here. We will never find the perfect manager again, it's very unrealistic so I don't get why we keep looking for one and gets disappointed when he doesn't work magic in half a season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I mean why even give them a year? With our lack of plan and commitment we might as well just don't settle on a manager at all and take trials from everyone, and worst case scenario we'd be firing caretaker managers every other game. At one point we have to find gold right, and it would speed up the process to find the right one when we don't have to sit around and wait for a year after we've already made our mind up.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is there any manager that people would genuinely say "let's give him time, he has shown that he deserves it" if the results are poor. Only two managers I can think of that have shown they deserve all the time in the world to carry out their rebuild is Guardiola and Klopp. Managers like Ten Hag, Nagelsmann and Marco Rose have not shown that they can rebuild a squad. It will be easy for us again to question any of them on why they deserve time when they've not shown they can rebuild a squad if the results are poor.

And with the way people talk about Pochettino you would think he turned Tottenham from a midtable team to be competing for the title. He hasn't shown that he can deliver trophies in anyway. So why does he deserve time to lead us back to the glory days?