Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

chickensgowoof

Poch is now 1/1 with most bookmakers to be next united manager. When have the bookies ever got it wrong?

Judging by past sackings, I got a feeling it will be either straight after Man City game or after Liverpool 19th Jan. We got a habit of getting new managers in when the fixture list is a bit kinder.

Thought Ole would make it to the end of the season. With Poch getting the sack, I cant see Ole lasting very long now.

soapythecat

all those who defend Ole are talking nonsense, Brandon Rogers took over Leicester city after Ole and he is already 14 points above him now. He did not take over Barcelona, it is fecking Leicester city ffs.
Leicester city who have recently won the league, have a very good squad, great owners and clearly a very good scouting system. You dismiss Leicester like they are a mid table side. I’d trade 90% of our squad and staff with Leicester city right now. They should be our benchmark to get us climbing the league, not a team to mock.

VanGaalyTime

The difference right now compared with under Van Gaal and Mourinho is that it's individual errors costing us points. Yes, Ole is making some mistakes as well. But we also have the youngest average age for a first 11 in the entire Premier League. Young players are going to make mistakes. They need time to improve. Ole will need time to improve as well. If he's given money in January to bring in a central midfielder and a striker, I still believe we can get top 4 this season.

At the start of the season in August, on the Caf, I said we'd be about 9th before January. That was because Woodward left Ole out to dry, as he did to Mourinho. If we can back Ole in January, and bring in the right players, I'm confident Ole will do the rest. Look, it's going to be a rough road. We might lose against Spurs and City. We might be 13th or so in January. But this league is tight and if we back our young players now we could be set for a great season next year.

Imran Mamdani

Leicester city who have recently won the league, have a very good squad, great owners and clearly a very good scouting system. You dismiss Leicester like they are a mid table side. I’d trade 90% of our squad and staff with Leicester city right now. They should be our benchmark to get us climbing the league, not a team to mock.
This. Even with manager changes and offloading players like kante, mcguire, etc. they have been able to continue to flourish - and i respect brendan rogers a mile ahead of Ole. I'd trade the whole of LCFC (players + mgmt) with MUFC at the moment to be frank.

laughtersassassin

Not yet they’re not. Really bad would be if we kept losing, but like I said, we could be 5th by tomorrow night..
And that would tell the whole story. It's December we got 4 wins. You are right that isn't really bad it is fecking disgraceful.

Alabaster Codify7

And that would tell the whole story. It's December we got 4 wins. You are right that isn't really bad it is fecking disgraceful.

It is worse than anything dished out to us since SAF and it's not even close. We are looking more and more with each game, like a bottom-tier club. It is visible regression. And don't give me "nobody would have this team with Pereira and Fred performing better" because your Chris Wilder's and Sean Dyche's are in possession with supposedly inferior players from top to bottom in their starting 11, not just CM.

Yet they are making Ole look like a League 1 manager.

Sack him off. He's done.

Craig Ward

What did people honestly expect from this season? Top 4? Top 6?

Look at our squad before Ole done any transfer business. We have anywhere between 10-14 players that don't feature/need replacing. Can Ole do that in 1 transfer window? No of course not that would be mental.

So situation - with each window we sell some unwanted players while signing some/intergrating youth.

Ole has been backed by the board to transition this time, key word there so I will repeat...Transition.

What generally happens in a period of transition is shaky results/poor form and lack of consistency. Sound familiar?

We are exactly where i'd expect us to be in truth. It could be better, it could be worse. Form hasn't been great, too many draws which could easily have been wins. A few wins instead of draws and this hype of Ole out isn't here, or certainly not as strong as it is now.

A lot of chatter on here moving into this season was "its a free hit, lots of youth, don't expect too much and we look to build up the squad over the next 2 windows" Now the clamour is "Sack the manager".

What benefit is there in starting a 3 year project and letting it fall down after 6 months? Havent we don't this under Moyes, LVG and Jose? Are we not learning? The only way we improve is by having the SAME strategy for a sustained period of time.....

If we sack Ole, we'll just be in the same position with the next guy in another years time. We are the new Chelsea, minus the odd league challenge, with basically makes us the equivalent of West Ham.

The club is being run atrociously. Sacking Ole isn't the answer, why people cant see that is beyond me

Giggsyking

They were a mid table team, they fought relegation the year before and the year after the title year, last year the were miles behind us and also in a relegation battle. So yes, Leicester with 3 years of relegation battle is not a top team. Another thing, how many of the team that won the league with them are still playing with them now? Vardy, Schmeichel? Who else? how many 3 or 4 players? The whole back line is new, the midfield and the forwards bar Vardy! So no, it is not the same team that won the league and your reasoning is irrelevant.

Rajma

I think a full cycle will be completed as once a caretaker he's going to become one again until the end of the season as we agree for Poch to come in the summer to replace him.

redshaw

He'll probably do enough to last the season. The odd win will keep us mid-table but can see him getting sacked if we're in the bottom half for a while.

If for example we're able to attract Poch I feel it would be good for him to have a break until the summer and be really hungry to get back.

Jan will be interesting to see if the club will get a player or two in that Ole wants. I remember Ole saying we have to get to Jan a while back like he and club knew they fecked up but now maybe the club will save money for a new manager whoever that is. We might even want to secure Haland.

romufc

Look at our squad before Ole done any transfer business. We have anywhere between 10-14 players that don't feature/need replacing. Can Ole do that in 1 transfer window? No of course not that would be mental.

So situation - with each window we sell some unwanted players while signing some/intergrating youth.

Ole has been backed by the board to transition this time, key word there so I will repeat...Transition.

What generally happens in a period of transition is shaky results/poor form and lack of consistency. Sound familiar?

We are exactly where i'd expect us to be in truth. It could be better, it could be worse. Form hasn't been great, too many draws which could easily have been wins. A few wins instead of draws and this hype of Ole out isn't here, or certainly not as strong as it is now.

A lot of chatter on here moving into this season was "its a free hit, lots of youth, don't expect too much and we look to build up the squad over the next 2 windows" Now the clamour is "Sack the manager".

What benefit is there in starting a 3 year project and letting it fall down after 6 months? Havent we don't this under Moyes, LVG and Jose? Are we not learning? The only way we improve is by having the SAME strategy for a sustained period of time.....

If we sack Ole, we'll just be in the same position with the next guy in another years time. We are the new Chelsea, minus the odd league challenge, with basically makes us the equivalent of West Ham.

The club is being run atrociously. Sacking Ole isn't the answer, why people cant see that is beyond me

You have made all good points but people are entitled to have a change of opinion.

1. This season was a free hit because of what we say from Ole when he first came in, his words coming to the end of last season about getting the squad ready for this.

2. We had a decent pre season and started ok.

After that, it has all gone downhill, we have been outplayed by almost every team we have faced. We have won 4 games in the PL. This is Manchester United, we might have got rid or not play 10-14 players but we bought players for £150m.

We are playing worse than championship sides, creating nothing, so predictable and probably the easiest team to play against in the PL.

The least you want to see from players when there is lack of quality is playing for each other, playing for the badge, fight. We are seing none of that from this team. Villa scored from a quickly taken goal kick. Sheffield scored from a throw in, it is shocking football.

The final straw is Poch is available, if he wasn't I would still be saying lets stick with Ole however; we cannot miss out on a manager who can improve us.

HowYouDoin

Ole will likely get sacked before the end of the calendar year as we will likely keep losing but then again with this team, what did we expect. It's Ole's fault too, don't get me wrong. He also allowed for this to happen. This is a completely deplated mid table team. We better get some reinforcements before we get Poch.
Whether or not we get him straight away remains to be seen but this whole thing is a mess, whole team will need to get overhauled during the summer. The likes of Pogba will likely be gone, there's no nucleus other than maybe Rashford and McTominay, arguably Maguire and Bissaka too and that's it. 4 out of 10 outfield players at best. Meaning we gotta change everything.

Do we pay Poch 12 million that's in his clause if he takes over before the end of the year? Now we are not only paying our flops, we are paying other teams compensation packages too. Its insane but its what it is. Still with this team, there's not much that can be accomplished. Ole is bad, he is incompetent but so is the talent level on this team.

romufc

Ole is bad, he is incompetent but so is the talent level on this team.
AWB had a fantastic season last.
Maguire was one of the best PL CB's
Pogba is a WC winner and scored in the final
Rashford & Martial are one of the hottest young forwards

The talent level is there, the manager is unable to do anything.

4 wins, you don't need to have the most talented squad to get more than 4 wins until December.

Peoples standards have dropped so low, 4 wins in 4 months is acceptable. We should be looking at 4 wins per month.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You always find fans who accept shit results and make poor excuses. Fact is, we have been shit for too long, and Ole is to blame for a big part. Any other club would have fired him

Enigma_87

You know who
Not yet they’re not. Really bad would be if we kept losing, but like I said, we could be 5th by tomorrow night..
By the same logic we could be 15th by Friday, says nothing.

When you have won 4 games since the beginning of the season and we're entering December things are really bad.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

Yes, I feel pretty good about the complete failure Woodward and his great plan. And Ole who's football rivals Moyes'. Let's give those two time to actually relegate us.

Craig Ward

Yes, I feel pretty good about the complete failure Woodward and his great plan. And Ole who's football rivals Moyes'. Let's give those two time to actually relegate us.
We aren't going to get relegated......

Wise up and look for the positives, we are in transition

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Standards have become so low that even when have the worst start to an EPL campaign by any MUFC side, since the EPL started, some fans are refusing to acknowledge that it is "really bad".
If Pep was in charge of us and after 14 games we were 9th, even he'd be canned.
What we are currently seeing is unacceptable yet people around me seem to be quite accepting of the situation.
Fecking 9th place.

When we go into games against giants such as Aston Villa or Sheffield Utd, we are hoping that we can somehow scrape a win.
At what point will all fans accept that the current management structure needs to be replaced (and that does include the coaches who aren't EPL quality).
Ask yourselves this question: if Ole, Carrick, McKenna, Phelan were all sacked tomorrow, would any of them be able to find a job, in the same role, at another EPL club?
Even a team battling relegation would say "no".

And btw, I'm not actually asking for Ole's sacking. I'm demanding that Woodward, who is the root cause of this, be sacked.
His replacement will need to assess Ole's (unacceptably poor) performance and decide who to replace him with. I wouldn't trust Woodward to do this, because he has a proven track record of failure in footballing related matters.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
His replacement will need to assess Ole's (unacceptably poor) performance and decide who to replace him with. I wouldn't trust Woodward to do this, because he has a proven track record of failure in footballing related matters.
The problem with this is that it's the Glazers who have to find a replacement for Woodward. I'm sure they can appoint an even worse idiot.

dove

I personally didn't expect anything, I knew Ole will drag us towards relegation, our shambolic performances don't surprise me.

No, not familiar at all. The one thing we absolutely don't lack is consistency. We are consistently shit. We don't even have any purple patches, it's just a steady progression towards complete mediocrity.

You realise we can continue our project with different manager? Our ideas/plans should not be dependant on the manager. We should hire another manager who shares same vision as we do.

Our fans need to seriously stop thinking we are some special club. We are just like any other club on planet Earth and we should stop pretending that we are not as it's just holding us back as a club. If an employee doesn't perform, you replace him with someone else.

Agreed. This club is being run atrociously. How Ole is still in charge (or got the job in the first place) is beyond me.

Thiagoal

It is worse than anything dished out to us since SAF and it's not even close. We are looking more and more with each game, like a bottom-tier club. It is visible regression. And don't give me "nobody would have this team with Pereira and Fred performing better" because your Chris Wilder's and Sean Dyche's are in possession with supposedly inferior players from top to bottom in their starting 11, not just CM.

Yet they are making Ole look like a League 1 manager.

Sack him off. He's done.
I agree with a lot of this. The thing is with Sheffield United, under Wilder, they have players in the team that perform certain functions that makes the whole worth far more than the sum of its parts. With Ole he seems totally oblivious to the fact that a midfield of Fred and Andreas has zero strength and will be walked through by a lower league side.They're not even playing well in the first place to merit staying in the side!

Blindly playing them because we 'have no other midfielders' is pathetic. Stick Axel in there or try pushing AWB into midfield to find a balance. SAF used to do it all the time with the likes of Phil Neville and John O'Shea...injuries happen but it's the managers job to find solutions within the players they have and Ole is totally clueless how to achieve it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
27.2%

Give this man 4 years contract
Ha ha. Some fans would probably give Ole the job for the rest of his working life.
27.2%. would be unacceptable, if he was managing a team in League 2!

Sme fans are trying to say this is perfectly fine because err...transition. Oh ....but it's actually 50%. Not his fault, the squad is crap.
I've actually never seen so many excuses made on behalf of a manager who is failing at his job.
Even Moyes was better than this and he got heaps of flack. Who remembers the grim reaper who used to sit on the front row, close to Moyes' dug-out, in almost every game when it was clear that he was failing?

Alabaster Codify7

This isn't transition mate, it's visible decline. We looked shite against the likes of Palace, Wolves and Southampton with a full strength team - this isn't just about injuries.

St Pat's in Maesteg wouldn't stand for this, let alone the supposed biggest club in the world!

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
If we lose to city and spurs which is pretty likely with the way we've been playing we have to make a move.

Poch has shown he can do exactly the job we need him to do right now.

Bring him in before January and see if we can get in some of his targets.

JBoi

Fact of the matter is the club is in the state it is due to the manager merry go round over the last few years. One manager comes in with new ideas and strategies, that possibly don't fit the players currently at the club. Then the recruitment policy changes and the club react by buying players on a whim (Falcao, Di maria... etc). Give Ole the time he needs to bring in the players he wants. It is clear to see that we dont have a strong enough squad.

However, I think Ole's recruitment has been the best of any manager since Fergie. Wan Bissaka and James have been fantastic, with a lot of room to progress into class players. Harry Maguire has been steady, but the team have been exposed due to the lack of depth in midfield. Mctominay has been a massive loss both in defense and attack. As much as I agree with the Sale of Lukaku & loan of Sanchez, we could have done with the big man up top as he is a proven goal scorer.

The 1st 11 is not as far away as it seems. Our big problem is the strength and depth of the squad. Pogba and Mctominay out injured and we don't have anyone to replace them. Man City have nearly 3 replacements in each position.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yes the club is being run atrociously, no question about that. Ole did however say we are a fantastically well run club. That sort of envelops his unsuitability in a nutshell. He's a yes-man thanking his lucky stars to have the job and won't ever rock the boat, leverage the board or demand any sort of ambition.

That squad before any transfer business finished runners up in the league 6 months before Ole came in, and I thought it was the general consensus that it was 100% Mourinho's fault that results went downhill. Either that 2nd place finish was a huge achievement given the squad or both Joes and Ole have struggled in the last 15-16 months to get anything out of the team.

The main thing regarding Ole, in my opinion, is his inability to get a side playing well together when he comes up against an organised defense. At this level it's not about small margins dropping points left, right and centre against every average team around. He's simply not good enough - and the board is completely incompetent.

James Ward

He has to go, We hear about the club

There is no positives, You can see from the way the team plays on the pitch that they are all over the place with no solid foundation in attack or defense. Midfielders and forwards are all over the place when defending.

Why he keeps sticking to 4-2-3-1 is crazy when its clearly not working. Why not play a 4-5-1 sit back and counter which is our only strength at this time? His tactics are shocking.

He has Rashford and James playing so wide and on the defenders shoulder with no service. They should be dropping deeper.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
we have been outplayed by almost every team we have faced

We are playing worse than championship sides, creating nothing, so predictable and probably the easiest team to play against in the PL.

The least you want to see from players when there is lack of quality is playing for each other, playing for the badge, fight. We are seing none of that from this team
A lot of exaggeration in your points above.

I don't believe this group of players lacks fight. There is a lack of experience in a lot of key positions which will get better over time. They are on a steep learning curve right now. We aren't all that great at the moment, but I don't believe the players are lacking heart. They want to win. None of them look like they have downed tools - more a lack of confidence sometimes which is understandable.

Roboc7

This isn't transition mate, it's visible decline. We looked shite against the likes of Palace, Wolves and Southampton with a full strength team - this isn't just about injuries.

St Pat's in Maesteg wouldn't stand for this, let alone the supposed biggest club in the world!
Yep it’s just repeating what we have done for 6 years but being even worse, with a worse manager, same off the field failings and trying to con people into thinking there is a plan.

Poch hunting he’s ready to come back isn’t going to help our manager and it’s easy to see there being a change very soon if this week goes badly. To rub it in even more for Ole, Molde have got better without him and gone and won the league.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Not that its a benchmark we should be celebrating, but we were much better than all of those sides you listed above. Individual errors and wondergoals cost us 7 points in those games. If you'd have said West Ham & Bournemouth then yes we were terrible - not in these ones.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The difference right now compared with under Van Gaal and Mourinho is that it's individual errors costing us points. Yes, Ole is making some mistakes as well. But we also have the youngest average age for a first 11 in the entire Premier League. Young players are going to make mistakes. They need time to improve. Ole will need time to improve as well. If he's given money in January to bring in a central midfielder and a striker, I still believe we can get top 4 this season.

At the start of the season in August, on the Caf, I said we'd be about 9th before January. That was because Woodward left Ole out to dry, as he did to Mourinho. If we can back Ole in January, and bring in the right players, I'm confident Ole will do the rest. Look, it's going to be a rough road. We might lose against Spurs and City. We might be 13th or so in January. But this league is tight and if we back our young players now we could be set for a great season next year.
I concur.

Alabaster Codify7

Yes the club is being run atrociously, no question about that. Ole did however say we are a fantastically well run club. That sort of envelops his unsuitability in a nutshell. He's a yes-man thanking his lucky stars to have the job and won't ever rock the boat, leverage the board or demand any sort of ambition.

That squad before any transfer business finished runners up in the league 6 months before Ole came in, and I thought it was the general consensus that it was 100% Mourinho's fault that results went downhill. Either that 2nd place finish was a huge achievement given the squad or both Joes and Ole have struggled in the last 15-16 months to get anything out of the team.

The main thing regarding Ole, in my opinion, is his inability to get a side playing well together when he comes up against an organised defense. At this level it's not about small margins dropping points left, right and centre against every average team around. He's simply not good enough - and the board is completely incompetent.

Strong point.

For a guy that loves the club and has a vision for the future, Ole sure does align himself very much alongside the owners, doesn't he? He's praised how the club is run, he's claimed the lack of transfers didn't bother him, he refuses to rock the boat at all. He openly welcomes targeting cheaper players from lower league clubs - a strategy that basically relegates us to midtable strategy if it is the rule, rather than one of several approaches.

Perfect employee.

If Ole has the fans' best interests at heart, and the club's, why is he seemingly siding fully with an ownership that we ALL agree is toxic and must leave this club?

He's nothing but a public face for them, a human shield. A mouthpiece that will say and do whatever they want so long as they don't send him packing back to Norway reality.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yep it’s just repeating what we have done for 6 years but being even worse, with a worse manager, same off the field failings and trying to con people into thinking there is a plan.

Poch hunting he’s ready to come back isn’t going to help our manager and it’s easy to see there being a change very soon if this week goes badly. To rub it in even more for Ole, Molde have got better without him and gone and won the league.
Why is anyone being 'conned' into thinking there is a plan? There are smart people who want Ole out and have their reasons, and there are smart people who want to back this project, and they have their reasons too. Stop thinking that anyone who doesn't think the way you do is a gullible idiot.

I think Ole might be in trouble if we lose both games badly this week. I get the feeling there are quite a few on here who want us to see us lose these matches.

Alabaster Codify7

Not that its a benchmark we should be celebrating, but we were much better than all of those sides you listed above. Individual errors and wondergoals cost us 7 points in those games. If you'd have said West Ham & Bournemouth then yes we were terrible - not in these ones.

Fair point but I personally think 'much better' is a stretch. We were OKAY against Wolves/Soton for me. But overall, fair point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I said we might finish 10th without getting a midfielder. I said it all Summer. I don't believe Ole is that naive.

I believe Ed is though.
You can't absolve Ole of blame here. The board we know is naive but Ole at this level of management showed a naivety that is expected of such a inexperienced manager by targeted players to change the culture of the dressing room and we've subsequently ended up with a dire midfield.