Solskjaer & Staff Management Skills | Are they too soft?

Crashoutcassius

Sorry but what does improving Pogba have to do with Ole's presence?

It's a major gripe because it's a major part of a game. Solskjaer himself had a fantastic reputation as a substitute. Being able to see the course of a game and make an adjustment, whether personnel or tactical, to change that course is a very very important part of the game. The best managers are constantly talking during a game and making adjustments.

I genuinely find what you've said baffling.
re: what his presence has to do with improving players... im saying players are playing better while on the pitch... fans are saying players performances would improve (further) if he shouted or something... I think we shouldn't second guess that when whatever he is doing has already improved it. Fans might be right but I don't see why they would be... just because it seems plausible that if you shout at pogba he will improve?

re: subs... are we saying ole doesn't make subs or tactical changes? I'm not saying it isn't an important part of the game, you are making up things I'm saying I think. I just said I don't pay much attention to subs personally, while the caf says 'if we brought on x in the 70th and not 80th minute we would have won' and sometimes the opposite, if we left such and such on we would have won. Im assuming you didn't understand what i said because it isn't immediately obvious that the random couch potatos on this forum would make 'better subs' or 'react better' to matches than these professionals... thats all I'm saying - I don't pay much attention to it, but it is a massive thing for posters here so fair enough maybe it is a worthy debate every week, maybe manchester united wouldn't perform any better if they were running the subs or making subs ten minutes earlier (probably this)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he should code tactics through a series of claps and clichés, to the untrained ear seem like simple motivational exclamations - but we know what's up.

Crashoutcassius

Maybe the squad depth isn’t fully his fault cause he inherited the players. He has still had 3 windows and has done quite well. But tiredness and mentality he plays a big part of. Again that’s part of man management which he isn’t good at.
I'd argue that his man management has been good, purely because of the dramatic improvements we have seen with players. we might even see pogba stay. he has handled a long list of players well. But i agree maybe there is some mentality issue somewhere... but maybe it is equally the players and Ole just doesn't have the tools to solve it, just like Jose didn't

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
re: what his presence has to do with improving players... im saying players are playing better while on the pitch... fans are saying players performances would improve (further) if he shouted or something... I think we shouldn't second guess that when whatever he is doing has already improved it. Fans might be right but I don't see why they would be... just because it seems plausible that if you shout at pogba he will improve?

re: subs... are we saying ole doesn't make subs or tactical changes? I'm not saying it isn't an important part of the game, you are making up things I'm saying I think. I just said I don't pay much attention to subs personally, while the caf says 'if we brought on x in the 70th and not 80th minute we would have won' and sometimes the opposite, if we left such and such on we would have won. Im assuming you didn't understand what i said because it isn't immediately obvious that the random couch potatos on this forum would make 'better subs' or 'react better' to matches than these professionals... thats all I'm saying - I don't pay much attention to it, but it is a massive thing for posters here so fair enough maybe it is a worthy debate every week, maybe manchester united wouldn't perform any better if they were running the subs or making subs ten minutes earlier (probably this)
We've got different ideas on what I was talking about presence then.

And subs, you not paying attention to them is your choice. I'm saying Ole isn't an elite manager and one of the reasons is in-game management.

Handré1990

Same mentality Arsenal had under Wenger. To a certain extent you can be happy if we play good football but at the end of the day it needs to transfer to results. Making a top 4 is unfortunately the best result we could hope for this season and after being this close if we drop out how could you possibly be happy with that?
We haven’t actually dropped out! You’re arguing a point and a case that may never come to pass. We just went past Leicester into third. If we lose to Leicester on Sunday, feel free to panic then.

crossy1686

career ending
Ole’a hands are tied for at least one more game. It would be absolutely moronic to make sweeping changes and tell every one they’re cnuts when we’re 1 point away from CL qualification.

Get the job done and clear the feck out over the summer. Right now is not the right time to rock the boat

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I'd argue that his man management has been good, purely because of the dramatic improvements we have seen with players. we might even see pogba stay. he has handled a long list of players well. But i agree maybe there is some mentality issue somewhere... but maybe it is equally the players and Ole just doesn't have the tools to solve it, just like Jose didn't
But man management isn’t just about improving players. Also improving wise he hasn’t improved the whole squad. Players like Fred and McTominay who improved so much haven’t got a sniff since restart. All that progress goes undone with some of these players when they don’t play for long periods of time. If he keeps playing the same XI over and over again of course they will become familiar with one another and improve but it also gives the opposition to study the same group of players over and over again and find weaknesses like Southampton did.

Man management is more about how you manage the personalities within the squad, how well you use the squad and keep them involved, how you reward players for doing well in training. He talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk with this. He says time and time how important it is to use your squad and that everyone will get this chance but so far it hasn’t been the case and it’s already coming back to bite us. We’ve only played 8 games since restart. Think about next season. Is the plan for next season as well?

Acole9

Outstanding
The thing that concerned me was his press conference before the match when he said he didn't want to talk about De Gea because he didn't want to put pressure on him. No manager ever says that.

Drainy

In fairness, I think its a difficult tightrope to walk for him.

He's gotten rid of some deadwood, there is still some to go, but it's left the squad stretched.
He is trying to create a culture of excellence where if you don't perform and have the right mentality you don't play or get moved on, but has an opportunity to reach top 4 and can't let the squad mess it up.

If he had a quality squad I am sure he would still publicly support the players but rotate the poor performing stars more when they are not up to standards.

el3mel

Ole’a hands are tied for at least one more game. It would be absolutely moronic to make sweeping changes and tell every one they’re cnuts when we’re 1 point away from CL qualification.

Get the job done and clear the feck out over the summer. Right now is not the right time to rock the boat
Clear what ? These players brought him top 4 and put on some great performance. Why're you insulting them ?

crossy1686

career ending
The thing that concerned me was his press conference before the match when he said he didn't want to talk about De Gea because he didn't want to put pressure on him. No manager ever says that.
They’ll make a decision on De Gea in the summer. Nows not the time or place to end his United career. We’ve got two games we needed to get results in and rocking the boat now would be catastrophic

el3mel

Clear the fecking bench and get some good players in so we don’t have to run our first 11 into the ground by playing 5 games in two weeks
You mean Scott and Fred who were doing great job for us before the break ? Or Ighalo whom he brought on loan to only play last 5-10 minutes each game ?

Skills

Snitch

He's gotten rid of some deadwood, there is still some to go, but it's left the squad stretched.
He is trying to create a culture of excellence where if you don't perform and have the right mentality you don't play or get moved on, but has an opportunity to reach top 4 and can't let the squad mess it up.

If he had a quality squad I am sure he would still publicly support the players but rotate the poor performing stars more when they are not up to standards.
Surely the excellence has to be at all levels not just playing squad.

At the moment, it seems like we want the club to recruit top level talent and then leave it in the hands of below average coaches to make the most of it.

Tel074

I've always and still am a Ole in person but games like tonight call for bravery a change of tactics yet we play the sake 11/12 players constantly and if it doesn't work we have very little change to ever make a difference

Drainy

Surely the excellence has to be at all levels not just playing squad.

At the moment, it seems like we want the club to recruit top level talent and then leave it in the hands of below average coaches to make the most of it.
That is a fair point.

crossy1686

career ending
You mean Scott and Fred who were doing great job for us before the break ? Or Ighalo whom he brought on loan to only play last 5-10 minutes each game ?
McTomminay is fine, I like him, he gives us good options but he’s limited. Fred only plays well when he plays every minute of every game and seems to respond poorly to dropping in and out of the team, jury’s still out whether or not he’ll make it.
However, I’m talking about getting rid of Lingard for someone to manager trusts to bring on as a sub. Same applies for the likes of Pereria, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo. We’ve got players we don’t trust enough to be at our club so we’re paying them to be elsewhere. Get them gone and get players we know will be decent when they come off the bench and you’re not dreading each sub.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Who has he actually sold other than Fellaini and Darmian? Everyone else he inherited is technically on our books. We need find buyers for all these loanees. Then we got to find buyers for players who clearly aren’t United quality yet are earning six figure salaries weekly.

el3mel

McTomminay is fine, I like him, he gives us good options but he’s limited. Fred only plays well when he plays every minute of every game and seems to respond poorly to dropping in and out of the team, jury’s still out whether or not he’ll make it.
However, I’m talking about getting rid of Lingard for someone to manager trusts to bring on as a sub. Same applies for the likes of Pereria, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo. We’ve got players we don’t trust enough to be at our club so we’re paying them to be elsewhere. Get them gone and get players we know will be decent when they come off the bench and you’re not dreading each sub.
These are barely playing to get blamed for anyway beside it's not an excuse to not rest one of Pogba or Bruno regularly for Fred or Scott who have been doing great for us before the break and showed they can do a job in several games or not resting one or 2 of our attacking players from time to time for Ighalo who seems like a pointless loan at the point with how little he's playing.

We have some poor squad options but definitely has some that could and should have been used to rotate few starters in some easy games.

We were playing before the break with Matic, Fred and Bruno and we were doing pretty fine. We also played with Scott and Fred as midfield pair several times and looked pretty fine. Acting like we have to play both Pogba and Bruno every game to win makes no sense.

I won't even say this sends very poor message to Scott, Fred and Ighalo that he simply doesn't trust them to slot in the team when any injury happens when he persists in running some main players into ground. It's poor management overall.

No one is asking him to make a full reserve team or play Lingard and Periera from the start in some others. All I was asking for is to rotate 2 or so main players each game for some good options we have on the bench to keep them fresh.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I remember that game under Moyes, when all you could here was Moyes shouting at Danny Welbeck.
Absolutely hilarious.
Shouting means nothing during the game, most players don't pay any attention and it means very little.
A good manager is someone that installs confidence in their players, creates a culture at the club and works hard away from the ground, it really doesn't come from shouting non stop on the touchline.
But I'm sure there are moments when it needs to be done.

crossy1686

career ending
These are barely playing to get blamed for anyway beside it's not an excuse to not rest one of Pogba or Bruno regularly for Fred or Scott who have been doing great for us before the break and showed they can do a job in several games or not resting one or 2 of our attacking players from time to time for Ighalo who seems like a pointless loan at the point with how little he's playing.

We have some poor squad options but definitely has some that could and should have been used to rotate few starters in some easy games.

We were playing before the break with Matic, Fred and Bruno and we were doing pretty fine. We also played with Scott and Fred as midfield pair several times and looked pretty fine. Acting like we have to play both Pogba and Bruno every game to win makes no sense.

I won't even say this sends very poor message to Scott, Fred and Ighalo that he simply doesn't trust them to slot in the team when any injury happen when he persists in running some main players into ground. It's poor management overall.

No one is asking him to make a full reserve team or play Lingard and Periera from the start in some others. All I was asking for is to rotate 2 or so main players each game for some good options we have on the bench to keep them fresh.
I think we all know that starting Fred and McTomminay and expecting them to cope with the pressure of this run in as non leaders in the squad would be a very bad move. These aren’t dead rubber games, they’re cup finals at the moment. We need our big players, no matter how fit, to get us over the line because the rest are proven bottle jobs at this point. Winning and being successful is foreign to most of this team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why is there no anger and no emotion on the sideline? None of the staff are berating the players for losing the ball or playing a bad pass. The Fergusons, the Mourinhos and the Peps are all on the sideline encouraging and yelling at players. Why don’t any of our staff do it? Ole, Phelan, Carrick, Mckenna they are all soft. Even Ole admitted in that podcast he did he isn’t a shouter, he ticks off in his head that this player isn’t performing and that’s it.

It would be great to have someone like Roy Keane as part of the staff since he shows aggression on the sideline and someone who the players are genuinely scared off. Everyone was terrified of Fergie especially when they saw him on the sideline.

On top of this his man management skills are very poor. Not using his entire squad and rotating/rewarding players for doing a job when we didn’t have Bruno and Pogba has left them all too fatigued for the biggest week of the season. He keeps going on about fitness but he runs his players to the ground every match day.
I feel you bud, I loved it when Fergie tore into the likes of Evans and Nani from the sideline. But if Solskjaer was that way and we had the same result we would find something else "off" about his style of management.

He needs to win. All the other shit is secondary

el3mel

I think we all know that starting Fred and McTomminay and expecting them to cope with the pressure of this run in as non leaders in the squad would be a very bad move. These aren’t dead rubber games, they’re cup finals at the moment. We need our big players, no matter how fit, to get us over the line because the rest are proven bottle jobs at this point. Winning and being successful is foreign to most of this team.
Are you really saying starting one of Scott or Fred instead of Pogba, Bruno or Matic in few games would have made us lose points ?

Beside look at whom was about to bottle it completely today, Pogba, one of our main players actually, not Scott or Fred.

And I won't even talk about how Bruno has been terrible recently.

Drainy

Who has he actually sold other than Fellaini and Darmian? Everyone else he inherited is technically on our books. We need find buyers for all these loanees. Then we got to find buyers for players who clearly aren’t United quality yet are earning six figure salaries weekly.
He still cut them from his squad even if the club were unable to find buyers.

crossy1686

career ending
Are you really saying starting one of Scott or Fred instead of Pogba, Bruno or Matic in few games would have made us lose points ?

Beside look at whom was about to bottle it completely today, Pogba, one of our main players actually, not Scott or Fred.

And I won't even talk about how Bruno has been terrible recently.
I'm saying there's a mantra that goes "don't change a winnings team", and when there's a lot on the line like there is right now, just get over the line by any means possible instead of adding unnecessary variables into the equation.

I think they're all knackered but if we get CL football on Sunday everything will have paid off and we can go from there.

Ralph1386

He was and is a stop gap solution. Don't think he has what it takes to stay here.
I agree and that’s exactly what I said last summer: he’s the manager who will lay good foundations for the next manager.

el3mel

I'm saying there's a mantra that goes "don't change a winnings team", and when there's a lot on the line like there is right now, just get over the line by any means possible instead of adding unnecessary variables into the equation.

I think they're all knackered but if we get CL football on Sunday everything will have paid off and we can go from there.
Getting CL this season isn't the problem now. It's that if we go on next season and again ran the main players to the ground because we can't trust some squad options we'll be looking forward to a similar tough top 4 fight.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Getting CL this season isn't the problem now. It's that if we go on next season and again ran the main players to the ground because we can't trust some squad options we'll be looking forward to a similar tough top 4 fight.
You would think we would improve the squad further

He prefers to quietly move sub par players out instead of shouting at them, he said so in an interview last week.

I also think he does more than you think. Williams made a poor long pass today and the cameras caught an accented 'what the feck was that' being screamed onto the pitch.

Eddy_JukeZ

The better question would be is our entire coaching staff good enough?

And I don't think it is.

el3mel

You would think we would improve the squad further
I'm not sure we'll be able to buy many players this summer in such circumstances to be honest, and even if we do, there won't be a big overhaul imo.

crossy1686

career ending
If we get CL we'll have more money to spend and can recruit better, that is the immediate concern. Get that done and re-evaluate everything from there. Not getting CL slows down our rebuild significantly.

el3mel

If we get CL we'll have more money to spend and can recruit better, that is the immediate concern. Get that done and re-evaluate everything from there. Not getting CL slows down our rebuild significantly.
We're not going to replace the entire bench or get many squad options. I don't think there'll be any sort of overhaul this summer under current circumstances. We'll buy 2 or 3 players at best, and if we buy Sancho, he'll eat the majority of the budget.

Anyway you're right, let's get CL this season and see how next one will go on.

Jibbs

The whole team is too soft... we need more players like Bruno with tough mentality to become a fighting unit.

crossy1686

career ending
We're not going to replace the entire bench or get many squad options. I don't think there'll be any sort of overhaul this summer under current circumstances. We'll buy 2 or 3 players at best, and if we buy Sancho, he'll eat the majority of the budget.

Anyway you're right, let's get CL this season and see how next one will go on.
CL football and I think we sign 3 players, no CL and we sign 2. It's only one player but feck me we need some depth. Let's just get Sunday out of the way with and see where we are, hopefully we're all happy on here come 18:00...

manutdrphenomenal

The squad is not good enough so hard to Judge Ole’s ability to make game changing substitutions. He has been building very well so far. We have to wait for him to get more players.

Liverpool were built in same manner.
1. They made an excellent attack.
2. Then started to add quality in depth
3. Fix the whole thing with brilliant defensive signing.

we need to do point 2 and 3.

he got rid of players like young and Valencia. 3 managers before him did not do that. It would not have been too early had even LVG let those players go. He put Sanchez out of squad. No fear or bother about him being on a big paycheque. In my opinion, he has the credentials. But the competition is fierce and needs the right signings.
How amazing are Guardiola and klopp but they had to spend record breaking sums too.