Solskjaer & Staff Management Skills | Are they too soft?

arthurka

This team has been run ragged since the restart and it shows, Matic looks well gassed. Pogba is looking like his former self and Bruno well nothing really comes off. He has little options as showed clearly with his tinkering v Chelsea or when he tried to give McT and Fred minutes. The team looks absolutely knackered and the squad isn't strong enough to tinker much so his hands are tied. Mistakes after mistakes game after game should tell you something. Pogba should be put on a spot tonight but Ole what a idiotic move that was. He could give DDG sind pointers how to punch a ball. Hope we crawl over the finishing line and recoup for the EL game.

Old Ma Crow

Needs a Queiroz calibre assistant to guide him and take this team forward. Improvements in the coaching staff would help too.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure how much it helps or if it makes a difference, but the best managers are involved all game and their teams seem to respond to it. Ole's in game management is still questionable for me.

But every manager has their own style, you just hope Ole is good enough in other aspects.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not sure we'll be able to buy many players this summer in such circumstances to be honest, and even if we do, there won't be a big overhaul imo.
We dont need a big overhaul to improve on our fringe players like James Lingard/Pereira and McTominay

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The squad is not good enough so hard to Judge Ole’s ability to make game changing substitutions. He has been building very well so far. We have to wait for him to get more players.

Liverpool were built in same manner.
1. They made an excellent attack.
2. Then started to add quality in depth
3. Fix the whole thing with brilliant defensive signing.

we need to do point 2 and 3.

he got rid of players like young and Valencia. 3 managers before him did not do that.
Pretty sure he left before Solskjaer was hired wasn’t he?

How amazing are Guardiola and klopp but they had to spend record breaking sums too.
Yeah but they aren’t only about speeding. They are master tacticians. They have a proper system they employ which is a 4-3-3 and they have enabled mediocre players to thrive in that system. What tactics do we employ? It seems like we just put out the best XI and let them play or if it’s against a big team then sit back and defend and hit them on the counter.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Yeah but they aren’t only about speeding. They are master tacticians. They have a proper system they employ which is a 4-3-3 and they have enabled mediocre players to thrive in that system. What tactics do we employ? It seems like we just put out the best XI and let them play or if it’s against a big team then sit back and defend and hit them on the counter.
What mediocre players because I’m sure both managers changed pretty much the whole team to fit their style.

apart from pep keeping the Man City spine he’d be fecked without

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It would be great to have someone like Roy Keane as part of the staff since he shows aggression on the sideline and someone who the players are genuinely scared off. Everyone was terrified of Fergie especially when they saw him on the sideline.
You can go to a nearest pub and get someone to do it for you for a few pints with the same effect.

RDCR07

What mediocre players because I’m sure both managers changed pretty much the whole team to fit their style.

apart from pep keeping the Man City spine he’d be fecked without
You don’t think the likes of Henderson, Milner and Chamberlain are mediocre? If you take them out of that Liverpool system and play them in the same position in another team that team will get run over.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You don’t think the likes of Henderson, Milner and Chamberlain are mediocre? If you take them out of that Liverpool system and play them in the same position in another team that team will get run over.
Klopp certainly did work miracles with these mediocre players getting them to thrive. Or did he have to change most of them for better?

RDCR07

Klopp certainly did work miracles with these mediocre players getting them to thrive. Or did he have to change most of them for better?

Did I say they never spent anything to get better? I said they employ a tactical system that’s suits their players which we don’t currently do. Those players won’t get into any of the other top teams in the world yet they thrive there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

How are they the only master tacticians, yet this season Ole was the first team liverpool dropped points to, with a depleated side and Ole has beat Pep twice in the league this season.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Did I say they never spent anything to get better? I said they employ a tactical system that’s suits their players which we don’t currently do. Those players won’t get into any of the other top teams in the world yet they thrive there.
You said klopp is a master tactician that gets mediocre players to thrive. Which is just bullshit.

I’m just showing you that he didn’t actually get those mediocre players to thrive but replaced them and had to get players that suited his system.

passing-wind

If Ole isn't going to do it Phelan needs to be axed and get in a proper assistant who can contribute with both coaching and communicating decisions on the pitch.

romufc

Pep not only about spending? Jesus christ.. he has spent £200m on defenders and wants more. What mediocre players has Pep made better?

So sitting back and countering is no tactics? They know how to defend and team shape comes naturally?

RDCR07

How are they the only master tacticians, yet this season Ole was the first team liverpool dropped points to, with a depleated side and Ole has beat Pep twice in the league this season.
So if they drop points against us it doesn’t make them master tacticians? Fergie dropped points all the time to lower table teams. Doesn’t make him any less of a coach. What’s the point in winning against top 6 sides and dropping so many points against lower level teams?

Hypothetically speaking we lose on Sunday and finish 5th. Would you go around saying yeah but we took a point of Liverpool and beat City and Chelsea twice this season in the league?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Pep not only about spending? Jesus christ.. he has spent £200m on defenders and wants more. What mediocre players has Pep made better?

So sitting back and countering is no tactics? They know how to defend and team shape comes naturally?
It’s crazy mate, i usually just let it go but the amount of nut sucking of klopp and pep on this forum and the constant bashing of anything Ole does is tiring.

On topic of the thread, I think They do appear soft and I’ve thought at a few of the water breaks that it looked a bit meek but really, we wouldn’t want to see shouting there. I wonder what They’re like when the get in the dressing room and full time, I’d love to see it.

seen mentioned further up that ole could do with like a queiroz with him and I agree. Fergie done well withthese tactical assistants aswell as phelan

romufc

It’s crazy mate, i usually just let it go but the amount of nut sucking of klopp and pep on this forum and the constant bashing of anything Ole does is tiring.

On topic of the thread, I think They do appear soft and I’ve thought at a few of the water breaks that it looked a bit meek but really, we wouldn’t want to see shouting there. I wonder what They’re like when the get in the dressing room and full time, I’d love to see it.

seen mentioned further up that ole could do with like a queiroz with him and I agree. Fergie done well withthese tactical assistants aswell as phelan
I keep seing Quieroz mentioned, people forget he left and it was Phelan with Fergie in his later years.

Just because we have a young team, doesn't mean they are not good enough, I was listening to a podcast a while back and they were discussing McKenna. Apparently he is rated very highly as a coach. Just because they are not a big name, doesnt mean they don't know what they are doing.

Don't forget these are top players in Pogba, Bruno, Rashford etc.. if there was a problem with the coach, we would have known by now.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I keep seing Quieroz mentioned, people forget he left and it was Phelan with Fergie in his later years.

Just because we have a young team, doesn't mean they are not good enough, I was listening to a podcast a while back and they were discussing McKenna. Apparently he is rated very highly as a coach. Just because they are not a big name, doesnt mean they don't know what they are doing.

Don't forget these are top players in Pogba, Bruno, Rashford etc.. if there was a problem with the coach, we would have known by now.
Ah yeah I totally agree with that. I didn’t want it to sound as if it was all down to quieroz but he definitely brought something in the earlier years.
I don’t want to down play McKennas tactical knowledge either without knowing enough about it and I suppose phelan provides that old head experience.

I just wouldn’t be opposed to getting an additional help

el3mel

You said klopp is a master tactician that gets mediocre players to thrive. Which is just bullshit.

I’m just showing you that he didn’t actually get those mediocre players to thrive but replaced them and had to get players that suited his system.
No United fan here actually imagined someone like Henderson will be a main player in a CL and PL winning team and will be the captain of this team too. He was getting mocked here nonstop.

RDCR07

I am saying players like Milner, Henderson and Chamberlain, who we already there when he got there, are playing in central midfield and actually doing well cause of Klopp. I mean you can’t tell me they will doing this well playing for someone else in the central midfield position they are currently playing in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So if they drop points against us it doesn’t make them master tacticians? Fergie dropped points all the time to lower table teams. Doesn’t make him any less of a coach. What’s the point in winning against top 6 sides and dropping so many points against lower level teams?

Hypothetically speaking we lose on Sunday and finish 5th. Would you go around saying yeah but we took a point of Liverpool and beat City and Chelsea twice this season in the league?
No, why are they master tacticians, yet someone who has a relatively good record head to head, isn't? They clearly have better squads than us. I'm not saying Ole is a tactical genius, but there's not exactly miles between them.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No United fan here actually imagined someone like Henderson will be a main player in a CL and PL winning team and will be the captain of this team too. He was getting mocked here nonstop.
Fair, so Henderson stepped up. What other mediocre player has klopp or pep for that matter made thrive?

even with Henderson, it’s known Liverpools midfield is the weak part of the team and it gets bypassed with long balls and relying On the fullbacks to create. Henderson is just a running workhorse.

Tibs

Teams have figured out how to play us.
It's this....and when Plan A isn't working, there is no Plan B......and sadly, Plan A isn't good enough, yet.

There are a few other issues that relate to this too.

It isn't a huge criticism of Ole and the team, but, if we want to be WINNING things at the business end of the season, they need to be looked at. Long unbeaten runs, lots of goals and clean sheets mean nothing if you finish 5th with no trophies.

We're a work in progress, so let's see what the last game and Europa bring.

el3mel

Fair, so Henderson stepped up. What other mediocre player has klopp or pep for that matter made thrive?

even with Henderson, it’s known Liverpools midfield is the weak part of the team and it gets bypassed with long balls and relying On the fullbacks to create. Henderson is just a running workhorse.
So he managed to win PL and CL with a weak midfield consisting of workhorses that were never rated that much by United fans here ?

romufc

Ah yeah I totally agree with that. I didn’t want it to sound as if it was all down to quieroz but he definitely brought something in the earlier years.
I don’t want to down play McKennas tactical knowledge either without knowing enough about it and I suppose phelan provides that old head experience.

I just wouldn’t be opposed to getting an additional help
Oh no, I am not saying I will be opposed to getting additional help. Anything that can help with the team, I am all for it.

There is no point trying to recreate Fergie days, I would prefer if we got someone who is experienced with modern football knowledge.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So he managed to win PL and CL with a weak midfield consisting of workhorses that were never rated that much by United fans here ?
Yep, nothing to do with record fee breaking centre backs or ballon dor rated forwards he bought. All klopp and his master tactician making shit players thrive

United Hobbit

I've noted this as well, especially Ole, yes his ipad may give him a better view but he seems rooted to it but I'd like to see him getting out of his seat a bit more. I know the camera isn't on him the whole time so we may just have a snapshot of what he gets up to. However when we were doing badly at the start of the season he would be seen almost slumped on his seat, it reminded me of Moyes at times

You wouldn't see Klopp or Sir Alex etc sitting down the whole through the match, it can hardly be inspiring to the players. I'd be absolutely fine with him sitting down if we were winning with a comfortable lead. Absolutely fine. But until that, be more active he is too passive

And don't get me started on the subs!

Rafaeldagold

I just get the impression he prefers to be liked by the players then to actually say or do what’s necessary. (Not dropping DDG, playing just favourites even when knackered) Which I guess works for Ole as he’s relying on the players individual talents to win games rather than a coherent great tactical plan we have. But when the players are out of form it becomes so much more difficult to pick up results as you have no defect foundation to rely on

el3mel

Yep, nothing to do with record fee breaking centre backs or ballon dor rated forwards he bought. All klopp and his master tactician making shit players thrive
He definitely has the ability to bring on 200% of any player even mediocre ones. He spent a lot on defense alright and GK, but doesn't mean the rest of team is actually world class. Salah, Mane and Firmino weren't rated world class before Klopp managed them. He made them world class. He made their midfield who looked underwhelming on paper a CL and PL title winning midfield.

I honestly haven't seen any manager since Fergie retired that's able to extract this much from any player in the squad it's insane to me. Just putting on his success thanks to VVD and Alisson is simply not fair. He was also doing the same with BVB with barely any budget.

romufc

Two things.

1. Liverpool have a completely different style, Henderson is a good leader and you do not have to be super talented. They use midfield to hunt people down and close people down, real workhorses and rely on full backs and front 3 for goals. You also have to remember, Henderson was rated quite highly when he was coming through at Sunderland.

2. Does that mean Ole has done well with Rashford? Alot of people called him championship level? Martial too? alot said he is not a No.9 and currently is probably the best no.9 in the league.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He definitely has the ability to bring on 200% of any player even mediocre ones. He spent a lot on defense alright and GK, but doesn't mean the rest of team is actually world class. Salah, Mane and Firmino weren't rated world class before Klopp managed them. He made them world class. He made their midfield who looked underwhelming on paper a CL and PL title winning midfield.

I honestly haven't seen any manager since Fergie retired that's able to extract this much from any player in the squad it's insane to me. Just putting on his success thanks to VVD and Alisson is simply not fair. He was also doing the same with BVB with barely any budget.
I’m not totally refuting your point and can accept that he’s done a remarkable job with Liverpool.
What I take issue with and it’s the post I initially replied to is people making out that klopp has done all this purely because he’s a master tactician and making out he can make any player thrive no matter how shit, that is absolute nonsense and why he had to change 80-90% of his team to get where he is.

then on the other hand you get people non stop doubting Ole and slating what he does while ignoring how well Greenwood has been or how martial and rashford have scored 20+

el3mel

I’m not totally refuting your point and can accept that he’s done a remarkable job with Liverpool.
What I take issue with and it’s the post I initially replied to is people making out that klopp has done all this purely because he’s a master tactician and making out he can make any player thrive no matter how shit, that is absolute nonsense and why he had to change 80-90% of his team to get where he is.

then on the other hand you get people non stop doubting Ole and slating what he does while ignoring how well Greenwood has been or how martial and rashford have scored 20+
Even before changing the team, in the half season he started to manage them he reached 2 finals. Of course, spending on defense and GK closed a big hole in the squad, but he's really incredible in extracting this much from every player in the team.

Ole has done a very good job with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood this year too, no doubt for me, but imo he's simply not the type of the manager that can grind through tough periods when injuries happen to the main players and fitness drop, which are bound to happen in any season. We're great as long as we play our main lineup only. Yes squad depth isn't very good, but I don't think squad depth of Liverpool is that good either, beside Ole is under-using few good squad options we had. Scott, Fred and Ighalo are weirdly under-used now.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Even before changing the team, in the half season he started to manage them he reached 2 finals. Of course, spending on defense and GK closed a big hole in the squad, but he's really incredible in extracting this much from every player in the team.

Ole has done a very good job with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood this year too, no doubt for me, but imo he's simply not the type of the manager that can grind through tough periods when injuries happen to the main players and fitness drop, which are bound to happen in any season. We're great as long as we play our main lineup only. Yes squad depth isn't very good, but I don't think squad depth of Liverpool is that good either, beside Ole is under-using few good squad options we had. Scott, Fred and Ighalo are weirdly under-used now.
I can ever so slightly agree with you but still maintain he won the champions league and premier because he spent money and not just because he is this master technician deity.

i think we can leave it now :) and I accept I did have my tits out at the start because im
Sick of the klopp love while ignoring what he’s spent and the constant slating of Ole on here.

Red00012

I've always and still am a Ole in person but games like tonight call for bravery a change of tactics yet we play the sake 11/12 players constantly and if it doesn't work we have very little change to ever make a difference
I’ve basically just said this in another thread and you said it’s nonsense :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tel074

I’ve basically just said this in another thread and you said it’s nonsense :lol::lol::lol::lol:
No you said he was wrong playing the exact same tactics we have played since lockdown ended when we were winning it was great but now it's wrong .
If you and said what I said I would have agreed with you.
Anyhow I've been through this with you I've no intention starting it up in another thread .

Red00012

No you said he was wrong playing the exact same tactics we have played since lockdown ended when we were winning it was great but now it's wrong .
If you and said what I said I would have agreed with you.
Anyhow I've been through this with you I've no intention starting it up in another thread .
Sure :lol:

poleglass red

start of the season I would have taken 3rd or 4th. We still have weaknesses which will be addressed in coming transfer windows, I think he needs at least another 2 windows. If we won the europa league and get 3rd/4th, it isn't a bad return