Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the rumours are the 200m budget is true then we will be lucky if we sign 4 players max

sp_107

What about a direct swap of Martial and Verratti with no additional money involved

If he likes a change and doesnt mind coming to UTD, Is he still good or too much of an injury prone?

Bruno and Neves with Pogba money and Verratti for Martial might fix our midfield for ages without any money spend from this summer budget

And with Lukaku's money we could get Bissaka and Toby means with our 200M summer budget we could fix our front 3 (Any of Werner/Richarlison/Hirving/Sancho)and also giving more time to Greenwood, Gomez, Garner and Chong?

Last edited:

devilish

What about a direct swap of Martial and Verratti with no additional money involved

If he likes a change and doesnt mind coming to UTD, Is he still good or too much of an injury prone?

Bruno and Neves with Pogba money and Verratti for Martial might fix our midfield for ages without any money spend from this summer budget
Verratti is injury prone

Woziak

The reality of who we will sign, who is available and what others clubs will do will all affect this summer's transfer window.

We know that we are 99% playing Europa League Football. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern will be most active this summer probably spending €1bn between them so the Following players will be distributed to those three clubs;
T Hernendez, T Ndombele, C Erikssen, E Hazard, F De Jong, De Ligt, T Hazard, B Pavard, L Jovik, Militao, P Pogba, S Mane, B Chillwell, R Neves, R Varane, Neymar?

Of course some of these might not happen but these 3 clubs will have their first picks and then City, PSG have a slightly different problem both are being closely monitored by Uefa and PSG have to sell €60M of players before they can buy, so they will have to offload at least Draxler, Di Maria, Cavani & Rabiot and a few others just to be allowed to buy Di Gea. City will not want to rock the boat and will spend £100M on 2 players, A CDM and another LB or Striker. PSG will be looking for free transfers like A Herrera for obvious reasons. City may find their 2 players from the group of players above which leads Juventus, United, Liverpool, Chelsea(Provided they have no ban!), Arsenal, Inter and Spurs to fight over the following players; K Koulibaly, K Manilos, T Auderweireld, K Trippier, T Meunier, A WanBissaka, Rabiot, Y Tielemans, D Rice, J Rodriguez, D Costa, G Bale, E Cavani,N Pepe, C Hudson Odoi, H Lozano, P Coutinho, P Dybala, Felix, B Fernandez, T Kroos, Fekir, T Draxler, A Di Maria, A Sanchez, R Lukaku, Manzukic, D Costa, M Icardi, I Perisic.

There are many others who were flavour of last years transfer window like Leon Bailey and Sergei Milinkosavic who may also be surprise transfers for some of these clubs!

My point is there are a lot of young emerging players and some reasonable experienced players between 28 and 32 just because we are not in the CL, that should not hinder our recruitement policy, we are stil Manchester United.
Liverpool will add 2 at most probably Pepe and Fekir, Spurs and Chelsea, the same but United are in need of the biggest rebuild.

Transfers Outs(8)- Darmian, Rojo, A Sanchez, R Lukaku, A Herrera, Lee Grant, A Valencia, Pogba - £220M

Resigned - De Gea & Mata

(This is just a belief that they might both stay)
Transfers Ins that most of us would be happy with considering no Top 4 (7)- Koulibaly 100M, W Bisaka 45M, D Rice 50M, Felix or Dybala 90M, B Fernandez 50M, E Cavani 50M, H Lozano 40M- Total £425M - £220M
Net Spend £205M

I think Woodward and Ole both wrongly assumed top 4 was a given and they both stupidly believed that only 2 or 3 players were needed, hindsight is a wonderful thing but for 6 years we have averaged 70 points with an average position of 5th in the PL and we continue to completley fall apart in April of every year since we last won the league!

Most of us assume that at least 3 of Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku and De Gea most likely leaving the club and we will now have to recruite 6 or 7 players, not the original 3 or 4!

Woodward will be like a little boy in a candy shop! What price for J Rodriguez, G Bale, E Cavani, A Di Maria and any other fading superstar Woodward feels will sell shirts?

Last edited:

lewwoo

It cant only be 200m available for transfers surely. We spent nothing last year. Where is all the money going?!

devilish

It becomes 400mil if we sell Pogba , Lukaku and a few other fringe players.
If we sell pogba we lose our only WC player. I wouldn't trust the glazers either. Don’t forget we replaced ronaldo with Valencia

sp_107

It becomes 400mil if we sell Pogba , Lukaku and a few other fringe players.
200mil budget + 200 mil on (Pogba+Lukaku) and 100 million on fringe players like Matic/Fred/Rojo/Darmian/Jones/Baily/Perrera)

Isn't it 500? and we could add real quality with that 500 if we are sensible in picking our targets?

Jezpeza

I think we just need to sign the given players. Wan Bissaka - has been a beast at a poor PL club. Will continue to play well in another PL club. Sancho. Stats show him to be a top player. We need a right back and right winger. Etc etc.

I just fear we will resort to bargain bin buys and wheeler dealing. Hate the fact we are trying to renew the contracts for dross like Mata and already have for Jones. Dont like talk of players like Lozano etc just feels like they will turn out to be rubbish that needs getting rid of again. Likewise, Alderweireld will need replacing again in a year or two so dont want him either

Kidders

Why is Olé even putting a number on our transfer dealings ?
Most people agree a minimum of 4 new players are needed, but that's based on improving the current squad, if any of Pogba, De Gea, Lukaku, Herrera, Mata and Sanchez all leave then that number could rise to 10 !
If the 'cafe' (and myself) gets its wish's and we sell/move Valencia, Young, Darmian, Jones, Rojo etc, then the number of new players needed rockets even further.

assuming our first eleven is DDG-Young-Smalling-Linderlof-Shaw-Herrera-Matic-Pogba-Rashford-Lukaku-Martial, how many could be improved on ? I'd say all of them with the exception of DDG (forget his current form) the back four would be a decent SECOND string, Herrera wants regular starts but is'nt consistant enough, Matic has gone, and Pogba's heart is'nt with the club, as much as I would like the front three to work, the chemistry is'nt right.
There appears to be a lot of quality players on the market this summer, so my message to Olé and the board is, 'don't put a limit on the numbers', if better players than our current squad become available, then go for them, if that number is 4, 14 or 24 then so be it, let's get United back competing with the best at home and abroad.

RE1999

let's be honest, we all know appear to know various positions which we need to fill and players which appear to fill those positions.

However, we are forgetting Ed Woodward.

Ed will spend his summer chasing a few big names, the press will lap it up and come deadline day we will pay £200m for Bale.

I'm still hopeful that by having such low expectations I might be pleasantly surprised this summer.

The Irish Connection

200mil budget + 200 mil on (Pogba+Lukaku) and 100 million on fringe players like Matic/Fred/Rojo/Darmian/Jones/Baily/Perrera)

Isn't it 500? and we could add real quality with that 500 if we are sensible in picking our targets?
Definitely, we could/should. Even if pogba doesn’t go, we should still be spending 250m on 5 players, considering we only spent 50m last summer. If we do that and spend it well on the realistic targets that people have mentioned we can improve a lot, but it’s a massive ‘if’, I’d be surprised if we signed more than 4 and moved more than 5 or 6 on.

Jezpeza

Definitely, we could/should. Even if pogba doesn’t go, we should still be spending 250m on 5 players, considering we only spent 50m last summer. If we do that and spend it well on the realistic targets that people have mentioned we can improve a lot, but it’s a massive ‘if’, I’d be surprised if we signed more than 4 and moved more than 5 or 6 on.
I think if we get 4 starters and move 6 on thats a good window, especially if we fill the RB CB CM and RW voids. We should be able to spend more as the net spend this season was tiny by out standards - fred and dalot offset by sales of Fellaini Blind and Johnstone. Was a 42 mil net spend. Theres no excuse to not spend. Dont think we can change the whole squad though in one window. If we sign young players we can add the other half next season. We need to look long term. No more Matic and Sanchez style signings, because by the time weve added other players they themselves need replacing

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
DoF needs to happen first before any signings happen, there's no guarantee that Solskjaer will be here in 3 years, I'm still not sure about his pedigree as a manager honestly. The same as hearing about Ferdinand as being the DoF, Player/Pundit doesn't necessarily translate to great manager or DoF.

The players that tend to make that leap are often very intelligent players, the Cruyffs and Peps of this world are finite, I get that they want the "United Way" but how much of that is a bygone era at this point, under SAF it was a different game, SAF had an understanding of how every cog in the machine worked, and Gill understood what SAF needed.

The first priority should be the DoF, second getting 3 world class players, and letting them bed into the squad first, a massive overhaul in one summer won't work, but there needs to be the substantial transfers happening this summer, the following summer is of course Euro 2020 and it'll be hard to get players early with a major tournament happening.

The Irish Connection

I think if we get 4 starters and move 6 on thats a good window, especially if we fill the RB CB CM and RW voids. We should be able to spend more as the net spend this season was tiny by out standards - fred and dalot offset by sales of Fellaini Blind and Johnstone. Was a 42 mil net spend. Theres no excuse to not spend. Dont think we can change the whole squad though in one window. If we sign young players we can add the other half next season. We need to look long term. No more Matic and Sanchez style signings, because by the time weve added other players they themselves need replacing
Yes agreed. I think we need 5 in, another goal scoring creative attacking mid e.g. Jota, Lozano or Fernandes.
But if we did get in 4 top players it would be a decent start in the rebuild.

beingshe7don

DoF needs to happen first before any signings happen, there's no guarantee that Solskjaer will be here in 3 years, I'm still not sure about his pedigree as a manager honestly. The same as hearing about Ferdinand as being the DoF, Player/Pundit doesn't necessarily translate to great manager or DoF.

The players that tend to make that leap are often very intelligent players, the Cruyffs and Peps of this world are finite, I get that they want the "United Way" but how much of that is a bygone era at this point, under SAF it was a different game, SAF had an understanding of how every cog in the machine worked, and Gill understood what SAF needed.

The first priority should be the DoF, second getting 3 world class players, and letting them bed into the squad first, a massive overhaul in one summer won't work, but there needs to be the substantial transfers happening this summer, the following summer is of course Euro 2020 and it'll be hard to get players early with a major tournament happening.
I swear there are so many dumb people in high up positions who have no clue what the hell they need to do to resurrect this club. First things first, you don't need to be a former United player to know the United Way. The United Way is attacking the opposition till your feet drop off and making sure the fans are entertained. Our biggest strength was widening the pitch through wing-play but none of the managers that have come in have placed any emphasis on this. Our midfield gets crowded and we had great crosses of the ball which our forwards attacked and giving youth a chance. Now, I've never played for United and I understand what United Way is... So for those expecting Ole, Ferdinand and Scholes to bring back the glory days need to understand that they are brilliant footballers but not necessarily brilliant managers or DOF.

Neither of them has actually come out and criticized Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones for how crap they've all been. How can you be in a position of authority when you're clearly biased.

Any manager that plays attacking football is a manager that plays the United Way.

red4ever 79

Yes agreed. I think we need 5 in, another goal scoring creative attacking mid e.g. Jota, Lozano or Fernandes.
But if we did get in 4 top players it would be a decent start in the rebuild.
Fully agree with this. If we get 4 starters and manage to offload 6/7 deadwood. I would be happy with that. Would like to see us go for young players with potential though

Saf94

If the rumours are the 200m budget is true then we will be lucky if we sign 4 players max
We've spent enough money over the last 6 years to have signed a top quality squad and more.

We should focus on quality rather than quantity, if none of the players are flops then that counts for more than signing 7 players a summer but only 1/2 work out long term.

Hammondo

We simply wont get that much for them.

devilish

We've spent enough money over the last 6 years to have signed a top quality squad and more.

We should focus on quality rather than quantity, if none of the players are flops then that counts for more than signing 7 players a summer but only 1/2 work out long term.
Most of that money went to the loo as either scouts or managers or both failed. So what we did? We hired a rookie to do a job experts failed in and we will probably promote the former with this transfer committee nonsense

Irrespective of that we won't dig ourselves out of this hole without spending big. So either we start acting like the biggest club in the world or we won't be one, very soon. Sponsor money isn't there only to make the glazers rich. Its there to strengthen us in times of need and considering our needs 200m is pocket money

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I hope we sign 5-6 REALLY GOOD players who wants to play for the shirt, instead of some of the best up and coming, or superstars, who play for their wallet and the next step.

Some of you lot are too fixated on names and how good they play in one team, without even spending a second to think if they fit the manager's and the club's way of playing. I'd rather have a well functioning team, than players like Pogba, who are on and off, depending on their mood.

I just want a good team, full of players who respects the club, and works hard to help it back where it belongs.

Water Melon

Can we target some top coaches too, please? The ones who will improve our team play, pressing, off the ball movement, a top top GK coach, analyst and maybe fitness experts as well. Of course, buying top players is absolutely essential, however, getting the most out of each player is a must as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can we target some top coaches too, please? The ones who will improve our team play, pressing, off the ball movement, a top top GK coach, analyst and maybe fitness experts as well. Of course, buying top players is absolutely essential, however, getting the most out of each player is a must as well.
Good point this.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I hope we sign 5-6 REALLY GOOD players who wants to play for the shirt, instead of some of the best up and coming, or superstars, who play for their wallet and the next step.

Some of you lot are too fixated on names and how good they play in one team, without even spending a second to think if they fit the manager's and the club's way of playing. I'd rather have a well functioning team, than players like Pogba, who are on and off, depending on their mood.

I just want a good team, full of players who respects the club, and works hard to help it back where it belongs.
Oh really?
Seems like you wanted Pogba
It's Pogback for me!
I really hope this is sorted out soon.
And if/when we do, give him a proper 6 year contract with ridicolous release clause.
Gone a bit quiet this... Not sure if i like it.
Need more rumours.
How long does a medical take?
Does he have to run a marathon, then triathlon before climbing the Kilimanjaro while carrying his agent?

Aren't we normally told when players pass the medical?
Takes forever this...!
Just let someone taste it, i'm sure it is real blood....
Get it dooooone!

Grylte

Oh really?
Seems like you wanted Pogba
Fair to say he didn't live up to the expectations.
I can't be the only one...
Honestly thought he wanted to play for the shirt when he came back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair to say he didn't live up to the expectations.
I can't be the only one...
Honestly thought he wanted to play for the shirt when he came back.
I can tell you never watched him at Juventus. He plays exactly the same way.

Summit

Doesn't he. I was initially not for getting Pogba because I thought he was overrated, then I started to believe the hype everyone was spouting in that thread and joined the BW of really wanting him. :lol:

Grylte

That is correct, i just watch United, and a few big CL matches, his reputation and that he seemingly wanted to come back, did it for me.

The fact that you lot focus on the Pogba bit from my post, instead of the main point of it, just to argue and be dicks, is why myself and many others prefer general instead of the football forum these days.

Summit

That is correct, i just watch United, and a few big CL matches, his reputation and that he seemingly wanted to come back, did it for me.

The fact that you lot focus on the Pogba bit from my post, instead of the main point of it, just to argue and be dicks, is why myself and many others prefer general instead of the football forum these days.
Reported

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Ban this lad

Darlington Padgett

Toby, Meunier and Rabiot will cost around 60m so if our budget is 200m we must get those 3 players and add two more maybe with the remaining 140m.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What was Pogba like at Juventus? I did not watch him much so i do not know.

However i felt when we were buying him that some posters were over hyping him. There was this youtube video of him scoring this wonder goal from 35 yards and some posters zoned in on that as an excuse to buy him. I felt that the goal was pure luck.

Personally dont think a MF is worth 90 million.

Toad

Six players to leave:
Pogba, Herrera, De Gea,Lindelof, Rashford, Shaw.
Five players to sign:
Young (new contract), Jones (Even bigger contract), Valencia (new contract), Sanchez (new contract), Fellaini.

Heard it here first.

NJM78

I think as long as they have the right attitude, be prepared to play out of position and be technically for the most part lacking, then anyone should do just fine. Also must be willing to be overpaid thus hindering any chance of us selling them - this is very, very important!

Grylte

Jesus Grylte you are precious aren't you? I'm only joking ffs :lol:
I am fully aware, you towel licker, just a bit frustrating when i for once bother to share my opinions on here.
Think my post makes a good point, i do of course agree wih myself, so i'm a bad judge ;)

devilish

Toby, Meunier and Rabiot will cost around 60m so if our budget is 200m we must get those 3 players and add two more maybe with the remaining 140m.
We will not be the only ones competing for those players and even if we were, other clubs will be spending as much if not more then we will. The difference is they have experts while we,'ve got the Cardiff boy and the scouts of 3 failed administrations

Summit

I am fully aware, you towel licker, just a bit frustrating when i for once bother to share my opinions on here.
Think my post makes a good point, i do of course agree wih myself, so i'm a bad judge ;)
Tbh I stay away from the footy forums, it is full of dicks