Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

StrettyEnder07

I think SMS and Dembele/Ben Yedder are lined up in case Pogba/Lukaku go but in relation to Pogba the first choice would be he stays, if he does go, then SMS will get pushed through, if Pogba stays that deal won't happen, same for the Lukaku replacements.

I can see Maguire and probably Longstaff happening and that will be us, few of the kids promoted and hopefully a few of the deadwood like Darmian/Rojo sold.

It will be interesting to see how Sanchez does if this new style of press is the way forward, a lot more openings opportunities being created, might actually see the Sanchez we thought we had bought, won't hold my breath though!

Velvet Revolver

I feel that the reason for delay is purely because we dont have the money to spend on transfers like Ed say's we do. I am guessing we are waiting on players to leave to bid on others. Not sure if there is a certain time and strategy for bids or any restrictions on how many bids we can make etc.. But my guess is this

Out Lukaku 75M ----> in Maguire 70+ add on's
Out Pogba 150M ----> in Savic + Bruno

Add Longstaff for 25M potentially and that brings our net spend to 100M ( AWB + James+Longstaff). The rumors that we have 100M to spend kinda makes sense now!

Stacks

Agreed and if my aunt had a moustache she'd be my uncle.

I'd be happy with the activity you describe but it's not based on much reality. Other than media gossip there has been nothing to link us to SMS. Maguire's bid has been rejected by Leicester and you would assume we are at a point where we either pay the asking price or move on, the only team linked with Lukaku are miles off our valuation and Pepe only seems to be linked with us if Lukaku leaves and that doesn't take into account that Napoli are reported to have made a bid for him too.

We'll probably get Maguire and that's it and then be fed the line that the rebuild is a "long term process".
Really? so self identification is a thing where you live?

Snafu17

This 100m budget all comes from one dumb Odgen article who has consistently been shit for half a decade. You don't bid 70 m for Maguire if you only have 100 m to spend ffs.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
it's what's best for the parties involved I would say, if Savic and Bruno can be bought with less than Pogba money then that's good business.
Haven't watched any of those players, but from what i've read, aren't those players both attacking midfielders? 8/10'ish?
Wouldn't Bruno or SMS plus Longstaff or other CDM/b2b make more sense?

Alemar

it's what's best for the parties involved I would say, if Savic and Bruno can be bought with less than Pogba money then that's good business.
It’s not a good business when there are currently only 2 players in world football that may definitely be sold for more than Pogba (well, Messi won’t leave so we disregard him - so only Mbappe and Neymar).

Certainly in this market Pogba is worth a triple digit amount in million pounds starting with “2” (i.e. at least 200m)

f_to_z

This 100m budget all comes from one dumb Odgen article who has consistently been shit for half a decade. You don't bid 70 m for Maguire if you only have 100 m to spend ffs.
If this artucle is true and that Woodward did anounce we only have 100 to spend that we be a good move by him. The only reason we always buy overpriced compared to other teams is the constant bragging from Woodward that we have lots to spend.

You go in a used car dealership and say money is not a problem you will come out buying an overpriced used car.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
What has he done for Manchester Utd to more than double his value? Sweet feck all. They got Hazard(a far superior player) for far less. 130m would do fine imo.
The world record for a transfer went from 89m to 200m since he joined.

Hazard had one year left on his contract.

Alemar

What has he done for Manchester Utd to more than double his value? Sweet feck all. They got Hazard(a far superior player) for far less. 130m would do fine imo.
Hazard is not a better player, and he was in his last year of contract. Besides, Pogba is not only a player, but also a celebrity which has additional value for the club.

It's a bit like with Maguire: if Man Utd doesnt want to sell, we don't sell. If we are ready to sell, we have a right to put any price tag we consider comfortable. Certainly anything below 200m pounds is uncomfortable as you can't sign a better midfielder for any money (there are no better midfielders in the game)

Suv666

Hazard only had a year left, Chelsea were forced to sell him. 200m is too much imo but 150-170m should be enough.

Frank Grimes

Hazard only had one year left on his contract though, I think.
True but they're buying a tangible asset not years left on contracts. Its widely reported they are willing to pay no more than 100m and I believe that. Plus Pogba has stated he wants to leave so the diminishes United's chances to get what they want. 130-150 seems the area but anyone thinking Madrid would pay 200m for a player who has flopped here and is 3 years older need their head examined. Take 130 and start rebuilding with players who want to play for Manchester United.

Alemar

anyone thinking Madrid would pay 200m for a player who has flopped here and is 3 years older need their head examined. Take 130 and start rebuilding with players who want to play for Manchester United.
The last thing Man Utd needs to do is to operate in accordance with desire of others.
200m for Pogba too expensive? Perfect, negotiations are over, the player stays. It's better to offer him a new 6-year deal on good money (de Gea deal sets the mark, Pogba is likely to be paid better)

Eric's Seagull

The last thing Man Utd needs to do is to operate in accordance with desire of others.
200m for Pogba too expensive? Perfect, negotiations are over, the player stays. It's better to offer him a new 6-year deal on good money (de Gea deal sets the mark, Pogba is likely to be paid better)
I read we were supposedly going to offer Pogba £500,000 per week but not sure how much substance there is to it.

Frank Grimes

Think you're forgetting that Pogba has stated, along with his dickhead agent, that he wants to leave.

Alemar

Think you're forgetting that Pogba has stated, along with his dickhead agent, that he wants to leave.
He never firmly stated this. There were certain words about "new challenge", but he never explicitly announced in public that he wants to leave Man Utd. And yet again, we may offer him a 6-year contract he is unlikely to receive elsewhere.

Frank Grimes

He never firmly stated this. There were certain words about "new challenge", but he never explicitly announced in public that he wants to leave Man Utd. And yet again, we may offer him a 6-year contract he is unlikely to receive elsewhere.
Yes he did. "Maybe now is the right time for a new challenge." Then his agent totally confirmed it. There seems to be some collective amnesia about this. Pogba wants to leave, it's common knowledge.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The world record for a transfer went from 89m to 200m since he joined.

Hazard had one year left on his contract.
I think people make a bit too much of the transfers at the top end. Neymar went for £198m but it was the mother of all sketchy deals, with much of the value tied into his brand ambassadorship for Qatar and the 2022 World Cup. Mbappe is the most talented attacking player to emerge in the last decade and he went for £116 plus another 30-40 in add ons. Joao Felix just sold for £114.1, but again another very sketchy looking deal with probably all sorts of other crazy shit agreed between clubs, agents, etc. Coutinho sold for £105 plus add ons but it was a terrible deal for Barcelona and I think everybody other than their board has acknowledged this from the day it was struck.

Looking at all that and thinking that Pogba - who realistically wouldn't be among the top 10 players you would select to build a team around - is worth £200m is hard to believe. A lot of it is simply because of the previous price he sold for. But to be brutally honest his trajectory looked higher at that point in his career than it does now, after three fairly seasons in which he has shown his talent but hasn't really gotten better at an age when you'd hope a player would be improving toward their peak performance.

Rish Sawhney

Yes he did. "Maybe now is the right time for a new challenge." Then his agent totally confirmed it. There seems to be some collective amnesia about this. Pogba wants to leave, it's common knowledge.
Yeah how about win the PL with United? There’s a new challenge for him.

macheda14

True but they're buying a tangible asset not years left on contracts. Its widely reported they are willing to pay no more than 100m and I believe that. Plus Pogba has stated he wants to leave so the diminishes United's chances to get what they want. 130-150 seems the area but anyone thinking Madrid would pay 200m for a player who has flopped here and is 3 years older need their head examined. Take 130 and start rebuilding with players who want to play for Manchester United.
Wanting to leave doesn’t diminish anything. Neymar wanted to leave - world record. Pogba wanted to leave Juve - world record. Ronaldo - world record. Hazard wanted to leave AND had one year left - 130 mill. A player wanting to leave doesn’t do that much in this day and age. To use your argument against you ‘they’re buying tangible assets not’ a player’s desire to leave.

Frank Grimes

Wanting to leave doesn’t diminish anything. Neymar wanted to leave - world record. Pogba wanted to leave Juve - world record. Ronaldo - world record. Hazard wanted to leave AND had one year left - 130 mill. A player wanting to leave doesn’t do that much in this day and age. To use your argument against you ‘they’re buying tangible assets not’ a player’s desire to leave.
It affects Manchester United though as what manager worth his salt wants a player who doesn't want to be there, so of course it has an affect. Another year with this Pogba circus is the last thing the club needs. We are bigger than that. 130-150m is a fair price.

oreon

True but you also have to factor in your own financial situation. It doesn't seem like the funds are there to replace Herera. If you can get 130 - 150 mill for Pogba you can bring in SMS + Bruno Fernandes and still have about 10 mil extra. That's a whole lot better than just having Pogba by himself. As much as I'd like to keep him, seems the only way to balance this squad might be to sell him and use his funds on 2 or 3 players. I don't think any team will buy him for 200 mill, 130 - 150 is a lot more attainable.

Reactions: Penna

Alemar

130-150m is a fair price.
1) No, it’s not
2) why do we need to sell at a fair price? If we sell to RM, we need to squeeze them dry. If Zidane is desperate, let it be 150m + Varane, plus they take Alexis on. 2-year long loan

Zed 101

1) No, it’s not
2) why do we need to sell at a fair price? If we sell to RM, we need to squeeze them dry. If Zidane is desperate, let it be 150m + Varane, plus they take Alexis on. 2-year long loan
If RM would take all o f our dross off our hands would be happy to throw Pogba in for free, he is dross half of the time anyway

macheda14

It affects Manchester United though as what manager worth his salt wants a player who doesn't want to be there, so of course it has an affect. Another year with this Pogba circus is the last thing the club needs. We are bigger than that. 130-150m is a fair price.
‘Plus Pogba has stated he wants to leave so the diminishes United's chances to get what they want.’

That was the point you made and the point you made was wrong. When someone calls you out on a point you can’t just ignore it and say something completely different.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It needs to be a world record for a mid/attacking mid.
That's Coutinho - 140m, so certainly needs to beat that

Frank Grimes

‘Plus Pogba has stated he wants to leave so the diminishes United's chances to get what they want.’

That was the point you made and the point you made was wrong. When someone calls you out on a point you can’t just ignore it and say something completely different.
Or you may need to understand the word diminish.

fergies coat

They can pay up if they want Pogba. I’m sick of being fleeced by other clubs.

We let them have Beckham for £25 million, and Ruud for £11 million.

Is everyone forgetting how much they wanted for an unproven Morata?

macheda14

Or you may need to understand the word diminish.
‘Diminish United’s chances in getting what they want’ I.e. lessens United’s chance at getting the transfer fee they want. Which I refuted as being unfounded based on the fact that pretty much every world record fee has been a player wanting out. In response you then went on a tangent saying how it will affect United because the Pogba circus will continue. An entirely different point.

Last edited: