Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Jericholyte2

I would say we have Sancho lined up next season. 120 million. I would say he wants to come as well which is a positive.
No chance.

This was the season for the Glazers to show they’re willing to back the manager and they’ve shown their full true colours. Maguire has only come in with the Lukaku money so I don’t see this ever happening.

macheda14

No chance.

This was the season for the Glazers to show they’re willing to back the manager and they’ve shown their full true colours. Maguire has only come in with the Lukaku money so I don’t see this ever happening.
I don’t know where you’ve been for the last week but we were just on the verge of swapping Lukaku for another player. So no, Maguire hasn’t just come in with the Lukaku money.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why would a professional football club leave half its business until the last four days of a three month transfer window?

Jericholyte2

I don’t know where you’ve been for the last week but we were just on the verge of swapping Lukaku for another player. So no, Maguire hasn’t just come in with the Lukaku money.
It’s a very convenient narrative.

• Story goes we only had the 100m to spend barring sales
  • Bring in James and AWB for 68m
  • Have the bid for Maguire refused and hold off on bidding any higher, all the stuff from Leicester about only having one bid in that was nowhere near their value
  • All of a sudden this Lukaku swap come in and we offer more and get Maguire.
  • Lo and behold, the Lukaku swap breaks down and it looks like a straight sale might be happening
  • Then it comes out that even after Ole said Lukaku would be replaced, it looks like we’re now, ‘so impressed with the kids’ that this won’t be happening.
From all this it’s clear they weren’t backing Ole and only had roughly 100m for him, so I don’t see how they’re going to allow a 120m purchase on a single player next summer when we’ll again be in the fecking Europa.

macheda14

It’s a very convenient narrative.

• Story goes we only had the 100m to spend barring sales
  • Bring in James and AWB for 68m
  • Have the bid for Maguire refused and hold off on bidding any higher, all the stuff from Leicester about only having one bid in that was nowhere near their value
  • All of a sudden this Lukaku swap come in and we offer more and get Maguire.
  • Lo and behold, the Lukaku swap breaks down and it looks like a straight sale might be happening
  • Then it comes out that even after Ole said Lukaku would be replaced, it looks like we’re now, ‘so impressed with the kids’ that this won’t be happening.
From all this it’s clear they weren’t backing Ole and only had roughly 100m for him, so I don’t see how they’re going to allow a 120m purchase on a single player next summer when we’ll again be in the fecking Europa.
Aaaah you’re a conspiracy theorist. I’ll leave you to it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
No chance.

I dont now where you have been for the last couple of years but they have for the most part been backing the managers especially Van Gaal and Mourinho in his first season. Part of the problem is the managers in question have bought poorly. Van Gaal brought in ADM and he like Dybala did not want to play here. Mourinho overpaid for Pogba and then spunked 70 million on Lukaku which we are now trying to offload.

Then they broke our transfer record for Mata under Moyes and he has proved a poor enough signing overall.

What Ole is doing i agree with. he is looking for players that want to play for the club.

The problem as well is that this is not Italy or France or Germany where you only have won club dominating.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Then give them away for a low fee. Better they are gone and off the wage budget
The wages mate. Can't you read? They would have to take a pay cut.

Would you take a pay cut for your next career move? No probably not. Neither would they.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Then give them away for a low fee. Better they are gone and off the wage budget
They dont get any of the fee. They only get wages. Rojo is not going to get better money at Aston Villa or whoever, so he wont leave.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
This window so far has the same feeling as that transfer window under David Moyes when we ended up signing Fellaini on deadline day. :smirk: Couldn't be less excited if I tried for the new season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The wages mate. Can't you read? They would have to take a pay cut.

Would you take a pay cut for your next career move? No probably not. Neither would they.
If we give them away for a lower fee, they can use the money for the wages. Not that difficult to grasp, is it?

nainaisson

This window so far has the same feeling as that transfer window under David Moyes when we ended up signing Fellaini on deadline day. :smirk: Couldn't be less excited if I tried for the new season.
Wan-Bissaka and Maguire are good signings. Hopefully we've rectified our backline being a joke. Now we only need to rectify our midfield being a joke.

prateik

We relied on Fred last season and were let down. This season, we are going in with Fred + Andreas to take up that same spot.

McT is going to take up one spot vacated by Ander / Fellaini.

We still need someone to cover the gap left by Ander/Fellaini.

1 midfielder who is going to be a starter. Not a 10. A central midfielder.
Anyone..

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we give them away for a lower fee, they can use the money for the wages. Not that difficult to grasp, is it?
Doesn't work like that if they have a structure.

Also who would want some of them anyway? They are dross. That's the other big issue.

redshaw

Tick Tock Tick Tock on Ole's car boot sale, when they're gone they're gone.

MrSingh2002

We still need two midfielders. Same position as 2 months ago. I hope we had backups....

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Midfield neglect is highly worrying, as is the right wing. I’m more than happy for Gomes and Greenwood to play in the first team if that’s Ole’s plan, but where’s the midfield?

buckooo1978

Simon Stone reported that Fernandes was never on Ole's list

so who was on Ole's list from an attacking point of view

We probably made enquiries about Sancho but were told not this year at least

Dybala felt like opportunism as Juve enquired about Lukaku and wanted to move him on....

we haven't bid on anyone else have we? Normally clubs would go public with a bid to drum up interest

so who was on the list I wonder? sounds like bullshit

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If they are paying their other defenders 40,000 a week and then start paying Rojo or Darmian the same wages they are getting here, that aint going to go down well.

2 man midfield

Dybala felt like opportunism as Juve enquired about Lukaku and wanted to move him on....

we haven't bid on anyone else have we? Normally clubs would go public with a bid to drum up interest

Sounds like we’ve briefed that we never wanted Bruno now that we’re sure the deal isn’t happening. I don’t believe we never wanted him, there’s no smoke without fire. Maybe Ed just isn’t keen to meet their valuation?

buckooo1978

Sounds like we’ve briefed that we never wanted Bruno now that we’re sure the deal isn’t happening. I don’t believe we never wanted him, there’s no smoke without fire. Maybe Ed just isn’t keen to meet their valuation?
perhaps

sell Lukaku and we've a spend of 65/70m.... just like last year

Reality is if we want Longstaff or whomever we will have to pay the asking price and maybe a premium given the timing

I think spending what is required isnt on the agenda for the Glazers

oreon

Funny how quick the outlook for ManUTD changes during the transfer window. 8 hours ago we were getting Dybala and Bruno and potentially would have been one of the best transfer windows ever. Now it seems Maguire is likely the last signing with Lukaku heading out. At the moment you can't say we have improved from last season. The defense got better but Midfield is thin. If Pogba gets hurt for a while this team could find itself in the 2nd half of the table. I'd like to think they would add at least another midfielder even if is not Bruno. There are reports that Spurs are close to signing Lo Celso, so maybe Eriksen would be available.
If I were to predict going to next season, I don't think we have enough to get top 4. If Spurs can keep Eriksen and add Lo Celso or Bruno, I can see them competing for a title. The top 3 would be City, Pool & Spurs. That would leave us and Gunners competing for 4th. I'd give the Gunners a slight edge.
But there's still time. Adding a CM would make this a decent window and could guarantee 4th.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Bruno Fernandes was a name that was leaked back in March as being a top target and a player that we had scouted extensively, if he wasn't on the list, then who was?
Clearly not Ndombele, Lo Celso, Van de Beek, Tielemans or Partey and we haven't been linked with any other MFs in Europe as far as I can remember,
Domestically Neves, Ndidi or Rice havent even been mentioned, and other than Longstaff I can't remember any other rumours having any substance.

Ole has said on a number of occasions, he wanted 2 MFs signed to replace Herrera & Fellaini, if none of those players I've mentioned were deemed good enough or of interest, then who the fcuk is on that list???

I believe that we DID want Bruno Fernandes, but we arrogantly thought we could turn Sporting over, and sign him on the cheap.
Months of dithering and haggling from United and now Spurs have swept in and paid Sporting what the player is worth.
United trying to save face by saying, we didn't want him anyway......
So please explain why we didn't want a MF that scored more than 30 goals last season, why would he not be of interest to us?

witchtrials

Sounds like we’ve briefed that we never wanted Bruno now that we’re sure the deal isn’t happening. I don’t believe we never wanted him, there’s no smoke without fire.
If you really believe that with transfer rumours there's "no smoke without fire" then the reading football news must be really, really confusing for you.

2 man midfield

If you really believe that with transfer rumours there's "no smoke without fire" then the reading football news must be really, really confusing for you.
Yeah, I believe every single transfer rumour. That's definitely what I said.

Judas

Open to offers
There’s smoke without fire when the smoke is created in Portugal. You’ve been fooled, you’re not alone, but it’s been obvious for so long that the story is all from that end desperately trying to create a market for him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m convinced we still have another big signing in us before the week is done. I can’t see Ole saying that he’s hoping for a new face or two to join us and us ending up with none.

Sure, Dybala probably is a no go but I’m sure we’ll be going for another option.

My prediction: Dembele from Lyon.

2 man midfield

There’s smoke without fire when the smoke is created in Portugal. You’ve been fooled, you’re not alone, but it’s been obvious for so long that the story is all from that end desperately trying to create a market for him.
Is it obvious? You don't think we were interested in him at all?

Hard to see what else "there's no smoke without fire" means in this context.
Not that?

Judas

Open to offers
I think we may have enquired about Bruno right at the back end of the season, maybe, but beyond that I don't think we've been interested or come close to making a bid. The deal has been there for the taking all window.

UnitedObsession99

Funny how quick the outlook for ManUTD changes during the transfer window. 8 hours ago we were getting Dybala and Bruno and potentially would have been one of the best transfer windows ever. Now it seems Maguire is likely the last signing with Lukaku heading out. At the moment you can't say we have improved from last season. The defense got better but Midfield is thin. If Pogba gets hurt for a while this team could find itself in the 2nd half of the table. I'd like to think they would add at least another midfielder even if is not Bruno. There are reports that Spurs are close to signing Lo Celso, so maybe Eriksen would be available.
If I were to predict going to next season, I don't think we have enough to get top 4. If Spurs can keep Eriksen and add Lo Celso or Bruno, I can see them competing for a title. The top 3 would be City, Pool & Spurs. That would leave us and Gunners competing for 4th. I'd give the Gunners a slight edge.
But there's still time. Adding a CM would make this a decent window and could guarantee 4th.
Have to agree with all of this. I've been saying for a while this transfer window is on a knife edge! Get the signings and home run, don't and we won't make the CL cut again.

2 man midfield

What then?
That there's a ridiculous amount of credible sources saying we're after him, and a deal is being worked on. These have been ongoing for months.

I don't mean believe every single rumour you hear.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I’m convinced we still have another big signing in us before the week is done. I can’t see Ole saying that he’s hoping for a new face or two to join us and us ending up with none.

Sure, Dybala probably is a no go but I’m sure we’ll be going for another option.

My prediction: Dembele from Lyon.
Messi.

Judas

Open to offers
That there's a ridiculous amount of credible sources saying we're after him, and a deal is being worked on. These have been ongoing for months.

That just isn't true though is it? A couple of Italian sources, who have proven in the last few days they aren't always right. Way more reliable sources have said we're not interested.

witchtrials

Fair enough, but that sounds more like "There is smoke without fire. In fact let's be honest most of the time when there's smoke there isn't any fire. But this time there's loads of smoke so this time there must be a fire. Surely."