Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Alemar

If we were to sign Dybala and Bruno at this stage, is it crazy to suggest we could challenge for the title with an 11 of; DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Pogba, McTominay, Bruno, Dybala, Rashford, Martial?
Not crazy if McTominay has a great season and de Gea rediscovers his form. But our weakness will be no depth in midfield, so need to stay away from injuries.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we were to sign Dybala and Bruno at this stage, is it crazy to suggest we could challenge for the title with an 11 of; DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Pogba, McTominay, Bruno, Dybala, Rashford, Martial?
Not on paper, no. But creating a team and an identity takes both an excellent manager and time.

Ballist1x

Anyone know why we haven't sold any players yet?

I mean surely Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian are known to be surplus to requirement by this point?

I would have thought that if we do get Dybala then Mata wouldn't be needed either?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In:
Maguire 80m (almost done deal subject to medical)
AWB 50m (done deal)
James 15m (done deal)
Mejbri 10m (almost done deal subject to paperworks?)
Dybala 100m? (probably subject to Dybala decision)
Bruno 70m? (not sure)

Out:
Lukaku 80m? (very likely)
Darmian 10m? (depends on whether there is any buyer)
Herrera 0m (done)

I think we are almost done with our buys. Its time to clear the deadwood. Who's next?

Last edited:

foolsgold

I mean surely Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian are known to be surplus to requirement by this point?

I would have thought that if we do get Dybala then Mata wouldn't be needed either?
Fairly obvious, no one will match their salary. Why would they walk away to massive pay cuts when they have long term contracts here.

fergie_god

We can still transfer players out after the English window closes. I think the clubs focus has been to see who we bring in and then sell players accordingly. Or am I giving Woody to much credit...

Icemav

We can still transfer players out after the English window closes. I think the clubs focus has been to see who we bring in and then sell players accordingly. Or am I giving Woody to much credit...
No probably some truth in that.

Successfully bringing in your targets and then failling to offload is good not great.

Offloading players first and then not securing your targets is attrocious. Only the finance guys will be happy until you get relegated.

MDFC Manager

Its amazing how we haven't sold anyone this summer, its like we're hoarders of deadwood players.
How can the cluster f*** in the defense be over looked? I know its far too late, but selling Rojo and Darmian at a cut price would've been a really good start.
It's not far too late, there's still nearly a month for us to offload any players.

SER19

Choice

Longstaff plus Fernandes 110m
Minus lukaku 80

30m net

Or

Dybala/Lukaku swap

For me , if Dybala isn’t keen, option a improves us way more and can add mandzukic for roughly the fee of rojo/darmian leaving. Dybala is top class no doubt, but it feels opportunistic to me rather than what we really need,unless he’s planning a diamond

Sterling Archer

@Frank Grimes Franky boy, the rides have turned! We're just about on three signings as you Nostradamused. But how does it feel, living on the edge of being wrong with the Dybala move also very close? Nail biting. C'mon, mate get in on the muppetry and cheer up!

Frank Grimes

@Frank Grimes Franky boy, the rides have turned! We're just about on three signings as you Nostradamused. But how does it feel, living on the edge of being wrong with the Dybala move also very close? Nail biting. C'mon, mate get in on the muppetry and cheer up!
I meant 3 decent signings to improve our first team squad. I don't count James. I'll be bang on as usual.

prateik

A central midfielder (not a 10) and a right sided attacker.. and keep Lukaku if we cant find a striker.

I thought those were no-brainers.. How the feck are we at this stage of the transfer window with no concrete links for either..

Madness.

Havak

Pokemon master
A central midfielder (not a 10) and a right sided attacker.. and keep Lukaku if we cant find a striker.

I thought those were no-brainers.. How the feck are we at this stage of the transfer window with no concrete links for either..

Madness.
I don't think we are signing another player without selling Lukaku, that seems pretty evident to me by now. We would still also need to sell/loan two more once Lukaku is out and replaced as well. One more signing is all we will do if Lukaku actually goes (probably to Inter at this point).

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well if we let Lukaku go it's just stupid not to not-replace him though. We're still lacking goals and hoping for Greenwood's emergence of some sorts is just idiotic. Doesn't necessarily have to be a central striker either, we could get a right winger/right forward there.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I honestly think Gomes and Greenwood have impressed so much on the tour that Ole doesn't feel the need to sign a striker or a CAM.

And the Glazers will obviously be loving that as well.

I think where we're really lacking is in the midfield where, if Pogba gets injured/suspended, we are SEVERELY lacking in creativity.

Jericholyte2

I wouldn’t even mind getting rid of Lukaku without a replacement as long as we reinforce midfield.

We did really well reinforcing the defence but both mid and attack would be weaker:

Herrera - not replaced
Fellaini - not replaced
Fred - can’t trust at this stage
McT - lots of pressure on the lad

We still need two-three real midfielders in order to have anything resembling a squad capable of top 4.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I wouldn’t even mind getting rid of Lukaku without a replacement as long as we reinforce midfield.

We did really well reinforcing the defence but both mid and attack would be weaker:

Herrera - not replaced
Fellaini - not replaced
Fred - can’t trust at this stage
McT - lots of pressure on the lad

We still need two-three real midfielders in order to have anything resembling a squad capable of top 4.
I agree. We need a MF. Get a MF and its a good transfer window.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I honestly think Gomes and Greenwood have impressed so much on the tour that Ole doesn't feel the need to sign a striker or a CAM.

I think where we're really lacking is in the midfield where, if Pogba gets injured/suspended, we are SEVERELY lacking in creativity.
Yea i agree. Gomes looks so good. His touch is majestic.

Snafu17

So we're doing the "you can't win anything with kids with" except this time we have a worse squad to support them and that was a pretty spectacular thing to pull off in the first place. Great, that's not risky at all, especially in our position.

Oh well, let's gamble then. Let's see what happens.

SNes

NOT GOOD ENOUGH Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: ‘There is a chance you’ve seen the last of some players at Manchester United’ after the 1-1 draw away to Huddersfield so let the clear out begin......

de Gea
Young
Lindelöf
Jones
Shaw
McTominay
Matic
Pogba
Mata
Rashford

Substitutes

Smalling
Grant
Pereira
Fred
Dalot
Herrera left after refusing a pay cut.
Chong

Ruthless United.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If our transfer window ends with Maguire, it will be a very disappointing one. No improvement whatsoever to our attacking side of the game. We lack the technical ability to make fast movements to open up defenses and also lack any form of idea on how to attack when teams park the bus.

Some clubs which finished below us have a good chance of overtaking us this season.

Last edited:

Delano

I'm trying not to panic, but I cannot believe we are likely to be going into the season without a right winger and a centre midfielder. Never mind a Lukaku replacement.

Huge 4 days ahead. Somehow, I'm not very confident...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
NOT GOOD ENOUGH Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: ‘There is a chance you’ve seen the last of some players at Manchester United’ after the 1-1 draw away to Huddersfield so let the clear out begin......

de Gea
Young
Lindelöf
Jones
Shaw
McTominay
Matic
Pogba
Mata
Rashford

Substitutes

Smalling
Grant
Pereira
Fred
Dalot
Herrera left after refusing a pay cut.
Chong

Ruthless United.
Ultimately it's not his decision though, is it?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'm trying not to panic, but I cannot believe we are likely to be going into the season without a right winger and a centre midfielder. Never mind a Lukaku replacement.

Huge 4 days ahead. Somehow, I'm not very confident...
We are run by an absolute shambles. It's entirely conceivable if I am honest

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We are still a joke of a club, small time attitude. Not enough wuality in, obvious issues not addressed. On top, not having sold a player yet, yet there are plenty who should go

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Im terrified. Next season we are fighting to finish top six. The Maguire purchase without sorting out midfield and right wing is Just a waste of money.
I would say we have Sancho lined up next season. 120 million. I would say he wants to come as well which is a positive.

Mcking

Solskjær, like Mourinho, seems to be the one picking our transfer targets. Aside from the obvious ones like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire though, he doesn't seem to know too many players. We are barely being linked to players that aren't playing in England. If we can bring in Longstaff too, then I think this window would be a relatively good one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are still a joke of a club, small time attitude. Not enough wuality in, obvious issues not addressed. On top, not having sold a player yet, yet there are plenty who should go
It's hard selling the deadwood when they are on silly money. Why hasn't this sunk in yet for anyone?

Patrick08

Forget signings, Lukaku, pogba wants to leave and Herrera has already left. It's a never ending cycle.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
The job that Ole has undertaken requires at least a three years. United don't have the funds to build a side in one season. Getting players out of United is going to be hard. Of the three gone two were at contract ends and another went for the silly money in China.
He will, if given time, eventually get the players he wants out gone. Wan Bissaka and James seem decent signings. Maguire isn't a bad player but his transfer fee is bonkers. He is nowhere near VVD class. Yes he's English and two years younger but still. He should prove to be a good partner for Lindelof and in a sense, despite the looney transfer fee is another key area of deficiency in the side addressed. All goods sides are build from the back. Shaw with a manager who believes in him, Lindelof and De Gea assuming his form recovers is a solid block to build from.
Your midfield lacks creativity and you need a proper fox in the box a-la Van Persie. Pogba is a tricky one. You either build the team around him or move him on. He doesn't have much discipline position wise as a player yet in raw ability is possibly the best player at the club.
Woodward needs to hold his nerve for at least three seasons with Ole as long his side shows tangible signs of improving over time. This chopping and changing of manager has led to the mish mash that is the current United squad. The money paid out in players since Ferguson left up to Ole's appointment and the 'success' the club has enjoyed in that time are not in proportion.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Poor to leave it this late but we will sign one of two more on top of Maguire I’m sure of it.

RoLo

That just sounds like what you tell the press if you fail to land your transfer targets.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

Ohh the Glazers gonna love it. They can now get more money out of this club than they had planned! Net income of 30million+ just like that pooofff

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I honestly think Gomes and Greenwood have impressed so much on the tour that Ole doesn't feel the need to sign a striker or a CAM
Then we’re in for a very long season. We’re literally taking a punt on Rashford coming up with enough goals to propel us up the table and relying on McT to step up his game another notch to provide some stability for Pogba in midfield.

No one else is ready I’m sorry to say, much as I hope Gomes, Greenwood and Perreira can make the leap, we shouldn’t be relying on them to take us to 4th.

I do try to stay positive but it’s hard when you look at what midfield options we currently have.