Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

AJ10

Do you really think that the club wasn't considering signing Ole up until the end of March?
I am sure they were considering him after those good results (feb/march) but it doesn't mean they were going to give him the job when they started thinking about giving him the job.

I am sure there would have been discussions before to give Jones an extension by the club, not just pop up with a extension on first week of feb.

haram

I do but you believe a club will care about a opinion of a caretaker regarding extensions, so Ok.
Yes because they clearly valued his opinions enough to make him permanent manager a month later :wenger:.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am sure they were considering him after those good results (feb/march) but it doesn't mean they were going to give him the job when they started thinking about giving him the job.

I am sure there would have been discussions before to give Jones an extension by the club, not just pop up with a extension on first week of feb.
Still, he was a United legend, who took the job at a time few would and who was doing well. His opinion would be valued.

AJ10

Yes because they clearly valued his opinions enough to make him permanent manager a month later :wenger:.
What??

You think they just decided to give jones a extension on the first week of feb and cared about what a caretaker thinks? :lol:...Ok.

devilish

What??

You think they just decided to give jones a extension on the first week of feb and cared about what a caretaker thinks? :lol:...Ok.
They probably thought of signing him up earlier then when they actually did however they would still be asking the manager's opinion especially since they were probably going to give the latter the permanent role.

haram

What??

They cared about Ole’s opinion. My last post on this.

AJ10

Still, he was a United legend, who took the job at a time few would and who was doing well. His opinion would be valued.
Lets put it this way, Do you think if Ole (caretaker) said no to jones, the club would have let jones run down his contract down or sold him on the cheap? (I believe this contract ran out this year, maybe next)

w1thout

I think that the best approach to find that is to follow the transfers. We've signed AWB which means that 1-2 fullbacks are now a surplus (Valencia has left and Darmian might be leaving as well). We'll probably bring Tuanzebe back + we'll buying a new CB. Considering that under Ole's watch we have given Jones a long term contract then would that mean the end of Rojo and Bailly at OT? Meanwhile James is comfortable on the Left flank which probably means that Sanchez might be on the way out and we all know that Ole would listen to an interesting Inter's bid for Lukaku.
I agree with you to an extent.

I'm sure Darmian will leave, but regarding Rojo/Bailly, I think it is going to be Rojo who leaves, as Bailly's younger and Ole seems to want to work with as many young players as possible. Plus Rojo has spent way more time at the club contributing nothing.
I can't see both Lukaku and Alexis leaving this season. While Lukaku is definitely in demand of other clubs, Alexis will be much harder to move on with his current wages. Our very own Gareth Bale situation. If Lukaku eventually leaves - I think we might keep Alexis for numbers upfront instead of reinforcing.
I also think Pereira might be inclined to leave, while I don't see the club letting Pogba and De Gea go this season.

Overall we I presume that besides Herrera and Valencia, we will see Darmian, Rojo, Pereira and Lukaku/Alexis leaving.

2 signings done in June, just like last year. Hoping for a much different July now ...
I agree that there's a great resemblance between last June and this one : A young prospect for a relatively low sum and another who seems to be nailed on starter for 50m.
We just might sign another 3rd GK and wrap thing up :lol:

Reactions: Penna

devilish

Lets put it this way, Do you think if Ole (caretaker) said no to jones, the club would have let jones run down his contract down or sold him on the cheap? (I believe this contract ran out this year, maybe next)
I think if Ole wanted Jones out then the club would have had a big decision to make.

a- they could appease the manager and let Jones go on the cheap. That would probably give the hint to players that Ole is indeed at the wheel.
b- they could ignore the manager and still give Jones a long term contract. That would have repercussions on the relationship between the club and the manager. Would Ole even want to be part of a setup that goes against his wishes especially considered what had just happened to Jose (he was confirmed as manager and then poorly backed)?
c- they could take the middle path ie give Jones a short term contract with the club committing itself of getting rid of Jones IF Ole remains unimpressed by him. A short term contract would be necessary at this point as there's some real risk of the player digging his heels and refusing to leave the club up until the end of his contract.

The worst thing the club can do is to act the way you're actually saying. The manager would feel that he wasn't consulted about it when he was at a step away from being confirmed as the permanent manager. Meanwhile the player would be shocked to know that he had just committed to a club on a long term deal despite them not having the decency to ask whether the manager really wants him or not. You don't treat a player whose been with the club for 8 years in that way.

AJ10

I think if Ole wanted Jones out then the club would have had a big decision to make.

a- they could appease the manager and let Jones go on the cheap. That would probably give the hint to players that Ole is indeed at the wheel.
b- they could ignore the manager and still give Jones a long term contract. That would have repercussions on the relationship between the club and the manager. Would Ole even want to be part of a setup that goes against his wishes especially considered what had just happened to Jose (he was confirmed as manager and then poorly backed)?
c- they could take the middle path ie give Jones a short term contract with the club committing itself of getting rid of Jones IF Ole remains unimpressed by him. A short term contract would be necessary at this point as there's some real risk of the player digging his heels and refusing to leave the club up until the end of his contract.

The worst thing the club can do is to act the way you're actually saying. The manager would feel that he wasn't consulted about it when he was at a step away from being confirmed as the permanent manager. Meanwhile the player would be shocked to know that he had just committed to a club on a long term deal despite them not having the decency to ask whether the manager really wants him or not. You don't treat a player whose been with the club for 8 years in that way.
He was a caretaker and I highly doubt the club just woke up 1st week of feb and thought about giving Jones a contract, discussions would have been going on before Feb.

devilish

He was a caretaker and I highly doubt the club just woke up 1st week of feb and thought about giving Jones a contract, discussions would have been going on before Feb.
We're going in circles here. Lets agree to disagree.

Oldyella

Discussions would have started when Jose was still in charge I imagine, but i am sure Ole would have been asked his opinion before it was finally signed off.

MDFC Manager

So we've about £28 million left to spend. Will be interesting to see how we go about that

AJ10

We're going in circles here. Lets agree to disagree.
Yeah.
Discussions would have started when Jose was still in charge I imagine, but i am sure Ole would have been asked his opinion before it was finally signed off.
So a caretaker Ok'd a move? which makes no sense, we're not a well run club but i highly doubt we're that bad that we'll let a caretaker make a decision on a player but we all have our opinions.

Oldyella

Yeah.

So a caretaker Ok'd a move? which makes no sense, we're not a well run club but i highly doubt we're that bad that we'll let a caretaker make a decision on a player but we all have our opinions.
Opinion does not equal ok to the move but whatever. Also, just like Jones contract discussions will have started much earlier, so would Ole's.

AJ10

Opinion does not equal ok to the move but whatever. Also, just like Jones contract discussions will have started much earlier, so would Ole's.
So according to you, his opinion didn't mean anything in relation to giving Jones a contract? It was just a opinion and club didn't care about whether he liked him or not. Why are we having a discussion, if his opinion didn't ok the move? Which was the discussion I was having with other poster.

Yes of course both discussions would have started before announcement.

devilish

I agree with you to an extent.

I'm sure Darmian will leave, but regarding Rojo/Bailly, I think it is going to be Rojo who leaves, as Bailly's younger and Ole seems to want to work with as many young players as possible. Plus Rojo has spent way more time at the club contributing nothing.
I can't see both Lukaku and Alexis leaving this season. While Lukaku is definitely in demand of other clubs, Alexis will be much harder to move on with his current wages. Our very own Gareth Bale situation. If Lukaku eventually leaves - I think we might keep Alexis for numbers upfront instead of reinforcing.
I also think Pereira might be inclined to leave, while I don't see the club letting Pogba and De Gea go this season.

Overall we I presume that besides Herrera and Valencia, we will see Darmian, Rojo, Pereira and Lukaku/Alexis leaving.

I agree that there's a great resemblance between last June and this one : A young prospect for a relatively low sum and another who seems to be nailed on starter for 50m.
We just might sign another 3rd GK and wrap thing up :lol:
The club wants Sanchez out just as Real wants Bale out. We've already have his replacement in James (ie backup player for Martial). Whether we'll be able to get rid of him is a different argument altogether.

Devil may care

I haven't seen any transfer news for a couple of weeks but heard from my Uncle on Wednesday that he was having a medical but then nothing more. He wouldn't have been my first choice but hopefully it goes well and we get a really good attacker to play in front of him that compliments his defensive strengths.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ m genuinely torn on how to read our summer.

Ziyech & Rabiot not coming whilst representing ‘value’ in the market place irks me but. . .

I’m beginning to like the directionless way the press are linking us to random deals cause they haven’t got a clue what’s going on [but the people in charge at the club don’t seem to have a clue so is that really something to be pleased about?]

I just don’t know what to think currently.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Rauður Djöfull

Been watching some of the under 21 euros. Would not mind us getting Fabian Ruiz and Junior Firpo, he would provide Shaw with more competition than Young.
Ben Yedder for Lukaku would be good as well. Than we would only need a CB and it would be great window

Reactions: golden_blunder

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I haven't seen any transfer news for a couple of weeks but heard from my Uncle on Wednesday that he was having a medical but then nothing more. He wouldn't have been my first choice but hopefully it goes well and we get a really good attacker to play in front of him that compliments his defensive strengths.
Wait, so is your uncle signing or is he telling you about a signing happening :nervous:

laughtersassassin

Been watching some of the under 21 euros. Would not mind us getting Fabian Ruiz and Junior Firpo, he would provide Shaw with more competition than Young.
Ben Yedder for Lukaku would be good as well. Than we would only need a CB and it would be great window
Without any CMs? Our current ones are awful. We need two in.

Crashoutcassius

Hahaha

SER19

Would be delighted if longstaff and fernandes were added before tour then rest of summer trying offload those we really don't need and possibly signing a CB.

Obviously If lukaku goes then he needs to be replaced too, which is why the more 'doable' deals need to be done ASAP.

hammerfadl

Without selling anyone I suspect we will only get a central mid.
Looking at the squad depth United have had the last 7/8 years there seems to be a very clear squad format they try to utilize. We are in most areas very close to the "mould" they try to fit the squad into.

At CB, if we count Tuanzebe as an option, we are 1 player over what we have had for most years. Most years we have had 5 options (Vidic,Jones,Smalling,Evans,Rio or now Rojo,Jones,Smalling,Bailly,Lindeløf+Tuanzebe).
Considering the wages most of our "squad" players are on, I wouldn't be surprised if we go into next season with the centrebacks we have now unless we sell someone.

Backs, 4 options (2 each side). Some years we have had a 3rd option on each side, like Buttner or Fabio.

At CM, we've had 7 or 8. Currently we are at 6 (Pereira,Pogba,Mata,Matic,McT,Fred), so this is where it looks most likely with a new signing.

Out wide, we've had 4 most years. With James in, were at 4 again (Lingard,Martial,Alexis,James)

At ST, we've usually had between 4-6 players. Going from 4 to 2 makes sense, since we are now only using 1 striker formations. But this should be notable in terms of more players in other positions, especially centrally, but it isn't. We've cut away a Berbatov, Rooney and Chicharito but never bought another player in another position to compensate.

Of course I hope we sign a CB, two CMs and another attacker. But looking at the squad depth, and the rumours of Ole wanting to give youth gametime, the rumours of United having to sell before buying seem very logical.

sp_107

When players like Pepe, Osaumane, Barella, Partey, Tielmans, Ndombele, Aouar, Bruno, Maddison available in the market we want Sean Longstaff, John Mcginn as we want young talent with lots to prove.

I say its a small time mentality. When we come against big teams, quality will prevail and I dont think we can cut it with these kind of signings.

Even Sir Alex mixed kids with some top quality players so they can easily bed in but when we dont have even 2/3 top quality in the team (if Pogba/Lukkau leaves) we need to focus on getting some quality first and then focus on bringing in youth.

It looks like Ole struggled to handled big egos in his final weeks of last season and decided to go with players like James, Sean. I am sure how far we will be behind with this kind of mentality. If you dont sign top quality I think it will be more difficult for next manager to come in and work with average unproven or deadwood left over on high wages.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Shifting squad players such as Darmian & Rojo is largely irrelevant, it reduces the wage bill and creates a space, but makes little impact on improving the first XI.
As I see it there are currently first team players that are an absolute priority to replace, and they simply cannot start matches next season if we are to progress.
I just hope that the re-signing of Mata & Rashford are not seen as some sort of appeasement to the supporters instead of bringing in new players.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I want no part of Toby Alderweireld. His prime has come and gone, and he is not a solution to this club one way or another.

elsparkio

Without selling anyone I suspect we will only get a central mid.
Looking at the squad depth United have had the last 7/8 years there seems to be a very clear squad format they try to utilize. We are in most areas very close to the "mould" they try to fit the squad into.

At CB, if we count Tuanzebe as an option, we are 1 player over what we have had for most years. Most years we have had 5 options (Vidic,Jones,Smalling,Evans,Rio or now Rojo,Jones,Smalling,Bailly,Lindeløf+Tuanzebe).
Considering the wages most of our "squad" players are on, I wouldn't be surprised if we go into next season with the centrebacks we have now unless we sell someone.

Backs, 4 options (2 each side). Some years we have had a 3rd option on each side, like Buttner or Fabio.

At CM, we've had 7 or 8. Currently we are at 6 (Pereira,Pogba,Mata,Matic,McT,Fred), so this is where it looks most likely with a new signing.

Out wide, we've had 4 most years. With James in, were at 4 again (Lingard,Martial,Alexis,James)

At ST, we've usually had between 4-6 players. Going from 4 to 2 makes sense, since we are now only using 1 striker formations. But this should be notable in terms of more players in other positions, especially centrally, but it isn't. We've cut away a Berbatov, Rooney and Chicharito but never bought another player in another position to compensate.

Of course I hope we sign a CB, two CMs and another attacker. But looking at the squad depth, and the rumours of Ole wanting to give youth gametime, the rumours of United having to sell before buying seem very logical.
Good post and agree with a lot of this.

Although I do think it's time to take a punt on some players and give the likes of Rashford and Lindelof the chance to be the "senior influence". Greenwood looks like the kind of player that we would be trying to buy for 100m in three years if he was at Ajax or Barca. Gomes and Chong deserve a chance too. Realistically it's not even a huge risk. If Pogba stays, McT is well in there now and knows what the PL is like so no won't be phased. Add Longstaff/Fernandes to that and we actually have a team of both talent, experience and "top quality". Personally I'd be happy of Ole regularly started AWB, Lindelof, Dalot, James, McT, Chong, Greenwood, Rashford and let them form part of the regular starting 11. All young and hungry. Half of them brought up in United.