Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Eric's Seagull

Woodwards transfer dealing are historically poor. He is unable to achieve signings in a workable time frame. Last pre-season Jose was moaning about not having the players in he wanted for the start of the pre-season camp. We complained he was just a grumpy shite, but then the season turned out to be dreadful.

Ole said there would be a bunch of players in and a bunch of players out this pre-season. Neither has happened so far. The club/Woodward just don't learn.
Particularly agree with your point in bold. I think he should have signed the players Ole wanted before pre-season to enable them to get used to Ole's methods and give more time to gel with the team. This would have given Ole a much better platform to succeed and I think this is somewhere Woody has massively let him down. I hope it doesnt happen but fear Woody will try to make Ole a scapegoat if everything doesn't turn out well mate.

Judas

Open to offers
It's beyond scary that I personally think we'll go into the season without replacing Herrera. Going into yet another campaign with such woefully low expectations and hopes is sad.

Ralph1386

It's beyond scary that I personally think we'll go into the season without replacing Herrera. Going into yet another campaign with such woefully low expectations and hopes is sad.
Would Longstaff be considered a Herrera replacement (although not like-for-like)?

Havak

Pokemon master
Looks like Maguire is done and I imagine this Longstaff deal will eventually happen. I'll be surprised if those four don't end up done and there could be one more.

I'd expect Darmian has to go and probably a CB too. Lukaku could move, but I'd only want him to go if he is replaced really.

What I am finding interesting now though is which CB (or CBs) leave? All the talk says that Tuanzebe is very against going on loan again, even if a lot of us would probably like him to go back to Villa for a season in the PL. If he is definitely staying and fighting for a place, then you'd think we have to sell Darmian and at least one CB.

I would instantly rule out Lindelof and Smalling moving. They will contest to partner Maguire with the other probably nailing down a place on the bench 9/10 times.

Jones recently re-signed and Rojo not that long ago either. Is Bailly first out? I'd think him or Rojo (or both) is most likely.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Looks like Maguire is done and I imagine this Longstaff deal will eventually happen. I'll be surprised if those four don't end up done and there could be one more.

I'd expect Darmian has to go and probably a CB too. Lukaku could move, but I'd only want him to go if he is replaced really.

What I am finding interesting now though is which CB (or CBs) leave? All the talk says that Tuanzebe is very against going on loan again, even if a lot of us would probably like him to go back to Villa for a season in the PL. If he is definitely staying and fighting for a place, then you'd think we have to sell Darmian and at least one CB.

I would instantly rule out Lindelof and Smalling moving. They will contest to partner Maguire with the other probably nailing down a place on the bench 9/10 times.

Jones recently re-signed and Rojo not that long ago either. Is Bailly first out? I'd think him or Rojo (or both) is most likely.
We desperately need a DCM otherwise we're going into a season with a declining Matic as first choice there. I'd see Longstaff as more being developed for the future whilst adding some depth with Herrera and Fellaini gone

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I know it's not going to happen.

But if somehow we manage to convince Sancho and sign a midfielder.
i think we would have done the best we possible can.

—--------------------Gea
Basakka--bailly-----maquire----shaw
--------------pogba-----bruno
Sancho-----------mata----------martial
---------------------rashford

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We desperately need a DCM otherwise we're going into a season with a declining Matic as first choice there. I'd see Longstaff as more being developed for the future whilst adding some depth with Herrera and Fellaini gone
Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it reported that United want two signings for midfield?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

—--------------------Gea
bailly?

Havak

Pokemon master
Different kind of discussion, but while I agree, I think it's an area that isn't going to be addressed this season. I think it's a process (as Ole likes to call it) of getting the squad sorted over 2-3 years. I'd think CDM and RW will be addressed as time goes on, but maybe not this season. It's going to take a couple years to not only try and develop kids like Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner and even McTominay, Tuanzebe, Rashford, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, maybe Longstaff etc, but to shift out players like Grant, Young, Matic, the worst of our CBs, Sanchez, Mata etc.

As this time goes on, either players like McTominay, Longstaff, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, James, Tuanzebe and the like make positions their own or we sign more established replacements for CB, CDM, and RW during Ole's current contract.

We're going to have to be patient but that's the way I see it going. It's 2-3 years to fix the mess and have us believe we have a squad that can do what we expect as serial winners of yesteryear.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

—--------------------Gea
That midfield would get absolutely demolished.
The Idea is to line up like this:
DDG
AWB-VNL-Maguire-Shaw
------Longstaff-Pogba------
-Lingard-Bruno-Martial-
-----------Rashford-----------

Hopefully get top 4 and convince Sancho to join next season.

Ralph1386

That midfield would get absolutely demolished.
The Idea is to line up like this:
DDG
AWB-VNL-Maguire-Shaw
------Longstaff-Pogba------
-Lingard-Bruno-Martial-
-----------Rashford-----------

Hopefully get top 4 and convince Sancho to join next season.
How about Milinkovic-Savic to replace Herrera? He’s a complete midfielder who can be both attacking and defensive.

Saf94

Herrera was such a bit part player for 80% of his career here, so baffling how highly hes rated. He only played well this season in the initial Ole period when everyone was playing well. Lucky for him he got injured so avoided the backlash when everything went to shit

The guy never was a huge part of our team and to think not replacing him is some sort of disaster is an exaggeration

Ralph1386

Herrera was such a bit part player for 80% of his career here, so baffling how highly hes rated. He only played well this season in the initial Ole period when everyone was playing well. Lucky for him he got injured so avoided the backlash when everything went to shit

The guy never was a huge part of our team and to think not replacing him is some sort of disaster is an exaggeration
We do need a midfielder though. Regardless of what we think of Herrera. Matic is aging and the others are not good or consistent enough.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think we will get 1 midfielder in as a Matic replacement. Most likely Lemina or Longstaff.

I think McTominay is Herrera’s replacement.

Bruno and Angel Gomes will probably be Mata and Lingard replacements in the long term for that #10 role.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think we will get 1 midfielder in as a Matic replacement. Most likely Lemina or Longstaff.

I think McTominay is Herrera’s replacement.

Bruno and Angel Gomes will probably be Mata and Lingard replacements in the long term for that #10 role.
I actually think Scott will be Matic’s replacement this year if we get Lemina, if we get Longstaff he’ll be deployed more in Herrera’s role.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

—--------------------Gea
Jesus - what did I just read.

SteveW

It's great to finally see a manager taking a focused approach to sign players that actually solve problems in our squad. We just need to sort out CM and we will actually have the makings of a really decent side again. Longstaff and Fernandes and it will have been the best window in years.

Then hopefully shift some of Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Alexis and feck it, Rom too.

ravi2

—--------------------Gea
A midfield 3 of Pogba, Bruno and Mata?!

Lee565

If Pogba stays, would we not be better off signing a right winger for more creativity and goals rather than Fernandes as him and Pogba in the same midfield wouldn't have a great balance and instead sign more of box-to-box midfielder?

Tarrou

If Pogba stays, would we not be better off signing a right winger for more creativity and goals rather than Fernandes as him and Pogba in the same midfield wouldn't have a great balance and instead sign more of box-to-box midfielder?
definitely but i think it means he's leaving if we sign Bruno

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Okay this sounds like a realistic window: James, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Longstaff, Bruno

And that's business done...if Lukaku doesn't leave.

But he probably will. Then he needs to be replaced. His replacement IMO and he's not currently being linked to us right now but I just have a feeling: Zaha (Yeah I know, Arsenal fan, didn't enoy his time here, but I still think we get him.)

So that would be our full window, those 6 signings (5 if Lukaku stays.)

I definitely can't see Pogba moving but if somehow he leaves too before our window shuts, my money is on his replacement being: Sergej Milinković-Savić

But yeah following this Maguire news and just from watching the market I think we can still and will end this transfer window with a total of 6 signings. Lukaku leaves and Pogba stays.

Our starting line up is a 433: De Gea Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw Longstaff Pogba Bruno Martial Rashford Zaha

Mainoldo

Okay this sounds like a realistic window: James, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Longstaff, Bruno

But he probably will. Then he needs to be replaced. His replacement IMO and he's not currently being linked to us right now but I just have a feeling: Zaha (Yeah I know, Arsenal fan, didn't enoy his time here, but I still think we get him.)

I definitely can't see Pogba moving but if somehow he leaves too before our window shuts, my money is on his replacement being: Sergej Milinković-Savić

But yeah following this Maguire news and just from watching the market I think we can still and will end this transfer window with a total of 6 signings. Lukaku leaves and Pogba stays.

Our starting line up is a 433: De Gea Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw Longstaff Pogba Bruno Martial Rashford Zaha
We won’t be going for Zaha for love or money.

Fer

Agreed. But the midfield looks a bit unbalanced. IMO we would need a better DM than Longstaff. Also, Martial and Zaha play on the left. We already have James, Martial and Sanchez there. I would prefer a RW.

Either way, it sounds like a good transfer window.

Ralph1386

We do need a DM though. Maybe even more urgently than a right winger. Getting both would be ideal of course.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That need for a DM still staggers me considering we aren't buying Kante who would be perfect.

Crashoutcassius

I'm not sure we sign Bruno if we plan on keeping pogba... seems wierd that we aren't linked with an established cm that can play with matic or mctominay next year. It would just say that either ole rates fred or is being told to give Fred a chance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That need for a DM still staggers me considering we aren't buying Kante who would be perfect.
Problem is only a clown wouldn't realise how good Kante is in that position. And chelsea"s clown just left.

Devil81

I'd be surprised if we didn't see the following leave before the end of the window. I suspect it will go to the wire and clubs will take a punt on some of our defenders.

Darmian

2 of - Bailly, Rojo & Jones

& Sanchez

Maybe even a goalkeeper. Periera or Henderson.

dutchred

I'd be surprised if we didn't see the following leave before the end of the window. I suspect it will go to the wire and clubs will take a punt on some of our defenders.

Darmian

2 of - Bailly, Rojo & Jones

& Sanchez

Maybe even a goalkeeper. Periera or Henderson.
I hope not Henderson. He seems the natural successor to De Gea

Infestissumam

I don't see how anyone would take Jones off our hands with that contract. It'll probably be Bailly who's leaving, plus Axel on loan. Henderson on loan, sell Darmian ... and that's pretty much it. Not sure anybody would be interested in Sanchez, and I doubt Inter will come up with a good enough offer for Rom.

Al-T

I fear we are worryingly close to Ole announcing that he is 'Happy with his squad'.

I had hoped that one of the benefits of appointing Ole would be he wouldn't need time to assess the ability (or lack thereof) of the players at his disposal; and we would get most of the necessary recruitment done quickly. Not to be and I fear the fact the transfer window is not harmonised with Europe will leave us particularly vulnerable.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I fear we are worryingly close to Ole announcing that he is 'Happy with his squad'.

I had hoped that one of the benefits of appointing Ole would be he wouldn't need time to assess the ability (or lack thereof) of the players at his disposal; and we would get most of the necessary recruitment done quickly. Not to be and I fear the fact the transfer window is not harmonised with Europe will leave us particularly vulnerable.
Might simply be the case of no buyers or reasonable offers for our deadwood.