Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Beaucoup

Starting to look like a disastrous window in all honesty. That would be the 2nd summer we've failed miserably to improve the squad.
I agree, in fact, it would be hard to argue that where we stand now, is significantly worse than this time last year.

astracrazy

I think we are worse this year.

Im just wondering what the hell will happen if, hypothetically, Madrid and Inter suddenly meet our demands and we lost Lukaku and Pogba. Can you imagine. Ed cant get planned targets over the line, let alone last minute deals.

Cliche Guevara

No offence, but what a load of steaming crap, most fans are very sceptical about Ole, he's unproven, and is only here still because he got one hell of a bounce out of the players when he first came in, personally I was more 'on board' with Ole been stand in manager, and then Poch and a DOF coming in at the end of the season, that was the sort of plan a proper club would make.

Ole will do well to squeeze all he can out this transfer market, becasue through no fault of his own he will again be the fall guy when the same old cracks come to the surface when the season kicks in, as I say I just hope the fans stick with him, and turn their attention to where it should be focused this time around.
By most fans do you mean global internet twats?

Ole is a club legend and will have the support well behind him. There is absolutely no hiding place for these players now, and if they fail yet another manager they’ll hear all about it.

Amir

By most fans do you mean global internet twats?

Ole is a club legend and will have the support well behind him. There is absolutely no hiding place for these players now, and if they fail yet another manager they’ll hear all about it.
Are we talking about the players who were blamed by many last season already and weren't supposed to - according to Ole as well - last this summer?

Amir

By 'most fans', do you mean the social media twats on here and Twitter, or the ones who actually put their money where their mouth is and follow the team? Cos the ones that actually matter definitely is one of those... You seem like you're clever enough to figure it out, so I'll leave you to it.
This is, the United fans at Old Trafford and away games tend to support who ever the manager is. I don't think they turned against Moyes, LVG or Jose. They were sacked because they did crappy job which was there for all to see. If Ole does the same, he'll meet the same destiny.

And to be honest, I'm not actually sure that in the eyes of United, 75,000 people supporting the manager would have equal value to massive social media negativity.

Irrational.

Im just wondering what the hell will happen if, hypothetically, Madrid and Inter suddenly meet our demands and we lost Lukaku and Pogba. Can you imagine. Ed cant get planned targets over the line, let alone last minute deals.
It would be just like Ed to end up paying £40 million for Alderweireld and £80 million for Bale on transfer deadline day as he's scrambling around.

Scholsey2004

If we don't get Maguire over the line we'll have signed just two players and lost one this window after failing to qualify for the Champions League. Another wildly optimistic window grinding to a halt with just a couple of weeks to go. Yet again we've also failed to shift the dead wood. But the Glazers are making their money and Ed gets 4 million a year so who cares right?

Judas

Open to offers
Not feeling very positive. Im glad we've clearly briefed we're not in for Bruno and Pepe, even though I think Bruno would have been a great signing.

I think it's Maguire and Longstaff if we're lucky, which to me isn't good enough.

manuchamp88

Not feeling very positive. Im glad we've clearly briefed we're not in for Bruno and Pepe, even though I think Bruno would have been a great signing.

I think it's Maguire and Longstaff if we're lucky, which to me isn't good enough.
Bruno and Pepe would've made a huge improvement. But they're very good foreign players so of course we're not interested.

Maguire and Longstaff (particularly Longstaff) look like the transfer list of a mid-table club with 1 dream signing (Maguire) and 1 more realistic signing (Longstaff). I seriously don't get what Ole or Wormwood see in Longstaff. I also seriously can't believe how inefficient we are at finalising signings...still. This sanctimonious obsession with what a player is truly worth and implementing "United DNA" for a Brexit 11 are absurd. No wonder Pogba and Lukaku want to leave.

Judas

Open to offers
Longstaff is a typical old school Utd signing, doing it early before he becomes massive. No issue with it. Because he's not called Longstaffinho you've got a problem. This "Brexit 11" talk is embarrassing.

Yakuza_devils

The realistic players that we can get to improve our squad and yet Ed do nothing.

1. Macguire
2. Bruno
3. Sancho
4. Alderweid
5. Erikson
6. Longstaff

We are the biggest club in the world and can easily attract 3-4 players in the list. Yet we are here struggling and only signed AWB and James

Sterling Archer

Ok just wanted to confirm. Because we've signed 1 player. The end of the transfer window could we'll see us sign more than 3.
Point being, you're currently wrong...and that can change too.
Oi @Frank Grimes

Remember when I jumped down your throat for saying you were right that we'd only sign three players? Back when DJ was the only one?

:lol: feck me sideways, you and I both might be wrong. With barely two weeks left It might just be AWB and DJ. At this rate I'd beg for just one more bloody upgrade to our first team even if it's Maguire and you're right about the three prophecy.

meamth

The realistic players that we can get to improve our squad and yet Ed do nothing.

1. Macguire
2. Bruno
3. Sancho
4. Alderweid
5. Erikson
6. Longstaff

We are the biggest club in the world and can easily attract 3-4 players in the list. Yet we are here struggling and only signed AWB and James
Sancho is that kind of target that we have to achieve great things this season to lure him into this "Project".
If we didn't impress this season, no top prospect will be interested, like De Ligt overlooked us.

Hammer_st

If this will happen, I hope we buy Erikson, Dybala and SMS with that money. And the negotiations with the players and clubs are still well advanced.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cannot believe we’re 2 weeks away from the window closing and our midfield is weaker now than it was at the end of last season.

Actually, I can totally believe this but it’s depressing as hell. Genuinely hoping Spurs role us over so the false sense of hope from beating Leeds’ reserves hits home for some, including the board.

mad1max954

This is, the United fans at Old Trafford and away games tend to support who ever the manager is. I don't think they turned against Moyes, LVG or Jose. They were sacked because they did crappy job which was there for all to see. If Ole does the same, he'll meet the same destiny.

And to be honest, I'm not actually sure that in the eyes of United, 75,000 people supporting the manager would have equal value to massive social media negativity.
This time you can’t blame ole though.

We already know the players are not good enough. Our squad has not been good enough for years. We have gained a first team RB and lost a first team CM. Plus a prospect.

The odds are we will finish where we have been finishing this year, but I just done see how anyone can blame Ole. Sure he is towing the line at press conferences but he must be furious at the lack of support from Woodward.No out goings either.

Woodward is entirely to blame. Get a DOF!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we don't get Maguire over the line we'll have signed just two players and lost one this window after failing to qualify for the Champions League. Another wildly optimistic window grinding to a halt with just a couple of weeks to go. Yet again we've also failed to shift the dead wood. But the Glazers are making their money and Ed gets 4 million a year so who cares right?
That really takes so much away for me. Our management is killing this club and all they do is taking out money. I think we need to crash even harder than we did in the past, otherwise, nothing will ever change

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

We already know the players are not good enough. Our squad has not been good enough for years. We have gained a first team RB and lost a first team CM. Plus a prospect.

The odds are we will finish where we have been finishing this year, but I just done see how anyone can blame Ole. Sure he is towing the line at press conferences but he must be furious at the lack of support from Woodward.No out goings either.

And the Glazers. They are as much poison as Ed

Snafu17

If there's no indication we're close to signing anyone in the next 3 days, then we are very likely finishing our transfer window with the two signings. Negligence from everyone involved but it is what it is. Hopefully youngsters will get a lot of playing time this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If this was supposed to be the window where money would be splashed and the squad refreshed and barely anything has happened in terms of arrival and departure then we can forget about the all the other upcoming windows.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Just curious - I know the line that you are one of the richest clubs in the world, albeit with a huge level of debt (managed sustainably mind) - are you short on actual cash to complete transfers? Seems odd that no activity beyond AWB and Daniel James have been brought in?

Last edited:

Abhinav

Wonder how long the good mood lasts with Smalling and Jones as our centrebacks? Better to say something now and get what he wants than keep quiet and be fired in December when fans are sick of losing.
I'd love to know why Ole thinks he's going to be afford the time other managers haven't to be able to be patient in the transfer market, and build things gradually, it's just not happening, if we start the season as we finished it, then he'll be toast by October, I just hope the fans follow him out of Old Trafford.
I’d love to know what you guys think Ole should be doing to get Ed to get the targeted players? If he goes public like Jose did then it creates a negative atmosphere and derails our season before it has started.

All he can do is create as much internal pressure as he can. Just because in public he sounds confident and says nice things about the players doesn’t mean he is really happy with status quo. He is just being professional and going about doing his job within the constraints he has to deal with.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Feckin' hell, just realised the season starts in 2 weeks.

We need to get our finger out a bit... but to be honest, considering we don't look likely to sign anyone until next week, that gives any new signing about a week to get bedded into the squad... which is hardly great.

I thought this was the summer overhaul? The only first teamer we've "sold" so far are the ones who have left for free.

Rake

If we don't have the money, we should be selling, which we aren't. If Lukaku leaves, we might see more action, which will just prove that we do not have the cash.

Alabaster Codify7

If we don't have the money, we should be selling, which we aren't. If Lukaku leaves, we might see more action, which will just prove that we do not have the cash.

Its what I and others keep saying though - selling means replacing.

Given how shite players like Rojo and Darmian are, replacing them will cost more money. Hence they are kept on. Same goes for Jones. If we sold Phil Jones, we'd get what, £15m. We'd need a replacement probably, and given the current market, that'd cost us upwards of £30-40m - 80m if we are going full-bore.

Amir

I'm very much on board when it comes to a DOF. We should have brought one. We're clearly not, and it's a farce.

Having said that, it doesn't mean Solskjaer will be clear of blame no matter what. I don't expect him to win the league, I don't expect him to challenge for it. Even if things have gone perfectly this summer, I wouldn't have expected a title challenge for a couple of years at least - from any manager.

What I do expect is to maximize what we have. Design a clear style of play, create a cohesive team, improving young players, showing progress. If he can't do that - and I'm not even talking about top 4 here, not looking at results right now - then I will absolutely blame him, as I would blame any coach. The way we finished last season was unaccetpable and if it continues into the upcoming season it will be a massive failure on his part.

mad1max954

It’s so incredibly poorly run. We have a bucket load of average players on top whack. Our wage bill is 2nd to Barca last time I checked!! I mean what the feck does that tell you.

People like darmian just need to be released. Make 2m or whatever but who cares. Get them off the wage book and start saving some coins that we can invest.

Jones, rojo, darmian, Sanchez should have gone as a minimum. Players that should not be anywhere near the first team. That’s easy 600k week /32million a year.

Woody your supposed to be an accountant you fecking cretin!

frookydinho

Looking at the squad and the amount of dross we have in it combined with the lack of signings is a bit worrying. We can not forget how a lot of the players have performed for a good few years, how they have let the side down/or jus purely not good enough. We know its a long process to rebuild again, we have made the right steps in the two signings we have made along with the four youngsters on tour who look like they can he apart of the squad. But by not adding at least a centre back and a midfielder we jist delay the process and will continue to be let down by the same players next year, or create the wrong expectation on the youth we have coming through. This window was crucial to the rebuild, it just feels like our owners/woodward dont have the same vision or we simply do not have the funds. This will put us back a year of the rebuild. It will be very difficult if say next season we lose 6 players and attempt to bring in 6 players. Reduce the size of the task now ffs!!! Ole has the full support, any expected failure this season will be nothing to do with him. All the blame HAS to be on those at the top

Steamboat Willy

It’s quite simple. If we don’t add at least two, even better 3, serious quality signings before deadline day, then it clearly showes the ambitions of the owners, regarding the footballperspective.

What’s even more disturbing is, that we don’t even look relatively stronger, compared to the other big six contestants. It’s only Chelsea who has a weakened team after this window due to the Hazard transfer.

Cantona's Collar

How does Woody being an accountant force other teams to buy our players.

I mean, I get it that our squad has a lot of dross in it, that's not in dispute, but how the feck is our CEO responsible for forcing other teams to buy our unwanted players? And you can't just release players without paying out their contracts so doing that would save us exactly feck all.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree, in fact, it would be hard to argue that where we stand now, is significantly worse than this time last year.
Not really. We have significantly upgraded right back and we haven't sold anyone.

I'll agree with you if we sell Lukaku without replacing him though.

The key issues are still present, we need a centre back and a right winger. How we haven't signed anyone for those positions I'll never know. :houllier:

I'm starting to think they've told Ole this season is a "free hit" so to speak. "Get top 4 if you can, but don't worry if you can't"

Shit forgot about Herrera. I honestly have no idea who we are planning to start with Pogba in midfield next season. It's starting to look like Fred and McTominay are going to get 30+ games, with Matic still starting.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
It’s so incredibly poorly run. We have a bucket load of average players on top whack. Our wage bill is 2nd to Barca last time I checked!! I mean what the feck does that tell you.

People like darmian just need to be released. Make 2m or whatever but who cares. Get them off the wage book and start saving some coins that we can invest.

Jones, rojo, darmian, Sanchez should have gone as a minimum. Players that should not be anywhere near the first team. That’s easy 600k week /32million a year.

You can't just release players. To do so means you have to pay up their remaining contract including all bonuses. So with Sanchez that would mean forking out, as a conservative estimate, 15 - 20m per season. So probably 60m to get him off the books. No one is going to do that.

0le

It'll be another season competing with Arsenal for the title of banter club of the year.