Solskjaer

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
First step :D

If true.

Be surprised if Ole came back to England so soon tbh.

Minkaro

Can't imagine that he'd be top of the list. I'd be delighted to see him managing in the Premiership though, and it'd make Rovers somewhat likeable.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near Blackburn Rovers when you consider how Venky's operate.

I'm sure Fergie would advise him to stay well clear if he was asked.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
INSIGHT: At 10, I wanted to be a manager, claims Man United legend Solskjaer

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, manager of table-topping Molde in Norway, has completed his UEFA Pro Licence and the former Manchester United striker spoke to Sportsmail about his new career and his coaching qualifications.
This course I found to be more about managing than coaching. It's preparing, planning, dealing with the money and the board. I've always wanted to work in that side of football. I'm a coach but I know I've got better coaches around me.

I enjoy management. I've been a player at the highest level and you think you know it all. Then you're a coach and you have to put sessions on. Then you're a manager and you have to make decisions on the direction of the club, youth development.
I'm the manager at Molde and I wanted to transfer the role to a traditional English model. It's something I've wanted to do since I was about 10.

I was always playing Championship Manager, dreaming of being a manager. Then I played for United and thought: No, it's not for me. I have to get away from the headlines, the spotlight and leave football.
When I got injured and football was taken away from me, I thought: No, I want to stay in football for as long as I can. You can't beat playing football. That's the best. But this is much more challenging.
For me, at the moment, the players are bright-eyed. I think the respect I get from having a good career at United, playing for Sir Alex Ferguson - the best manager in the world - helps me. I loved it at United and I learned from the gaffer.

At Molde, I'm being myself but I often think: "What would the gaffer do?" We lost 5-0 against the bottom team and I was thinking: "How would he react? How would he build you up again?"
I've not spoken to him since the league started. I went into his office a couple of times before the season started and there have been a couple of texts. I don't want to waste his time.
Every ex-player he's ever had probably texts him and asks him things. When I really need advice, I might ask him but I like to be my own man. I listened to him for 15 years. Now it's time to do it my way
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: At 10, I wanted to be a manager | Mail Online

Loved this little interview. He used to play Championship Manager! That must have been pre United, but whilst he was playing football. So he wanted to be a manager, playing for all these teams came to United and decided he wouldn't be a manager, but after getting injured he was drawn to it again.

Every ex-player he's ever had probably texts him and asks him things. When I really need advice, I might ask him but I like to be my own man. I listened to him for 15 years. Now it's time to do it my way
Seriously when Fergie retires give it to him. He'll bring us another 30 years of success I feel. Could be wrong, but Molde are top of the league by 10 points, possible Champions League football awaits him next season.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Loved this little interview. He used to play Championship Manager! That must have been pre United, but whilst he was playing football. So he wanted to be a manager, playing for all these teams came to United and decided he wouldn't be a manager, but after getting injured he was drawn to it again.
I think he was while he was here too - he's mentioned in previous interviews how he had a bit of a running joke with O'Shea (I think it was, could have been one of the other lads) about how he had to sell him in FM.

rcoobc

I think he was while he was here too - he's mentioned in previous interviews how he had a bit of a running joke with O'Shea (I think it was, could have been one of the other lads) about how he had to sell him in FM.
That is really classic. I feel so old and I'm only 21. He retired 4 years ago.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
That is really classic. I feel so old and I'm only 21. He retired 4 years ago.
I've been going to United since before I can remember buy my first season ticket in my name was the season we signed Olé. He was my favourite player from day 1.

I miss him :(

rcoobc

I miss him too. 96 was the year I first remember watching football, so I've watched him my entire life. I remember Cantona's FA Cup winner and some of the Euroes.

Some of Solskjaer's goals where so dodgy, I don't ever remember scoring a beautiful goal. But god did he score them again and again. I mean he scored 153 in 320 games, but how many minutes did he play? I don't ever remember him having much of a strike partnership with Yorke funnily enough.

Fanastic human being.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
They're both crucial, but I think the man management, and selection, side of football is more important than the tactics and training. Much of our success is because we have players of good character that live to win.

I would very much like to see someone who spent a whole heap of years under SAF, who knows what he would do as well as could be, and how he thinks, take over for him.

Ole' will have to continue to succeed before he's a realistic candidate, but it's a wonderful idea to consider. Ole' seems to at least have the same indomitable spirit as the great man, nothing gets them down.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
He could be the United version of Pep!!! God how good could that be if Ole succeed SAF!

Laphroaig

He will manage United some day. The question is whether he'll follow SAF (probably not) or the one who follows SAF.

SER19

I miss him too. 96 was the year I first remember watching football, so I've watched him my entire life. I remember Cantona's FA Cup winner and some of the Euroes.

Some of Solskjaer's goals where so dodgy, I don't ever remember scoring a beautiful goal. But god did he score them again and again. I mean he scored 153 in 320 games, but how many minutes did he play? I don't ever remember him having much of a strike partnership with Yorke funnily enough.

Fanastic human being.
Off the top of my head i remember goals against lille, ipswich, charlton away and everton that were fantastic goals.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout

Fanastic human being.
He had a great partnership with Yorke on the few times they did play together. Was it two apiece the first time? Against Charlton?

And you're kidding right, about him never scoring a beautiful goal? His goals covered just about every possible way a goal could be scored - some easy, some lucky, and some fantastic.

Was it against Ipswich that you plainly saw Fergie mouth, "What a fecking goal"?

Maybe you should watch that vid. again.

KingCantona87

Off the top of my head i remember goals against lille, ipswich, charlton away and everton that were fantastic goals.
I remember watching MOTD once not long after he signed and he scored an absolute belter at home against Chelsea (Maybe 96/97 season, possibly later?). From that moment on he was the man in my eyes!

His performance against Forest 98/99 was one to remember!

Ivor Ballokov

Fanastic human being.
That video brought back some great memories, I'm pretty good at moving on when players leave but I still miss Ole, maybe it's partly because we were robbed of him for so long but it's mostly because he was just great to watch. The money players earn these days would be largely ignored if players showed the same class, effort and sheer enjoyment of Ole.

Amir

I remember watching MOTD once not long after he signed and he scored an absolute belter at home against Chelsea (Maybe 96/97 season, possibly later?). From that moment on he was the man in my eyes!
96/7 was his first season, but his belter against Chelsea came early in the following season, snatching a late 2-2 draw (around 1:40 in the video). I think Hughes scored for Chelsea that night. A few weeks later he went and scored an almost identical one when we put six past Sheffield Wednesday.

He had the sort of skills that aren't always appreciated. The little things that can get you goals but don't look as great like stepovers or leaving players for dead and outpacing them.

At around 2:00min in the video you see a goal he scored against Blackburn (his second that game). It was a long ball and he flipped his leg backwards to set himself up for a one on one (don't think you get to see it in that video). It's a lovely move and when Eric did it to score when we beat City 5-0 in 1995, I remember Andy Gray talking about it ("look how he almost back heels it to himself"). People didn't make so much fuss about Ole's touch, though.

davisjw

I've been dying for a respectful journo (are there any?) to interview as many of Fergie's ex-players, coaches, etc and write a book about how to manage like Fergie. How he made decisions, how he chose players, how he scouted, what he cared about. Just a 1,000 page tome about it all. An honest look at every aspect of managing from those who worked with him. Even egged, those he fought against like Wenger and Jose.

I'd also die to be a fly on the wall of a half time bollicking just to hear what he says. Does he cuss, does he protect certain ones, get personal, talks tactics, just blows? What does he say to start things, end things?

Would be lovely.

rcoobc

Maybe you should watch that vid. again.
I said that before watching the video (although I have seen it before). He hit some absolute beauties in his time, but what he did incredibly was score so many dirty goals.

Over and over again, headers, tight corners, tap ins. So often would he capitalise on a little error.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import

Fanastic human being.
Rooney needs to look at this and realise that you don't need to chip the keeper to beat him on a one on one.

redevil2

Fanastic human being.
Are you fecking kidding!!!! He's probably scored more beautiful goals than not. You have to really study that video again and correct yourself

redevil2

I said that before watching the video (although I have seen it before). He hit some absolute beauties in his time, but what he did incredibly was score so many dirty goals.

Over and over again, headers, tight corners, tap ins. So often would he capitalise on a little error.
Dodgy, dirty, error.... Are you plain mad or just ignorant?!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wow, he has basically all but won the title in his first season at Molde. Their first title ever as well, amazing.

krazyrobus

He should come and coach here after SAF. Presumably he will have another 4 years experience by then. That's more than AVB has right now when he moved to Chelsea.

Eriku

Good write-up... He has certainly been classy, and broken a barrier for the nearly-men of Molde. On such an auspicious season as well.

I agree with Fjørtoft when he says that he thinks Ole's connection with United, and his keen understanding of the game and of what inspires a winning mentality, means that we'll see him at United at some point... I just feel it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It'd be good for him if he impressed with Molde in Champions League next season, if he gets there through qualification, and earn a move abroad. A mid-table Premier League side or a top Bundesliga team would probably have him in a heartbeat then and it'd provide invaluable experience before he can step up to the United job.

mustaine

When Fergie retires, I want Ole as manager.
Been saying the same thing since Ole started coaching... He is United and that's what we need. I really don't want a mercenary with great credentials, I want someone with real passion for Manchester United.

Jaap

It'd be good for him if he impressed with Molde in Champions League next season, if he gets there through qualification, and earn a move abroad. A mid-table Premier League side or a top Bundesliga team would probably have him in a heartbeat then and it'd provide invaluable experience before he can step up to the United job.
No offense here, but, for example, Guardiola didn't have more experience than coaching Barcelona B before taking over from Frank Rijkaard. We all know how that turned out.
Ole knows how the club works, coached the Ressies for two years and was at our club for a total of 14 (!) years.

There's now guaranteeing that he would succeed but I agree with mustaine - I want our next manager to have exactly those attributes as he has described.