Solskjaer

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Worth an outside bet for ole to be next manager you know. If he sticks with Molde, plays the cl and wins the league next year too, that would be a terrific achievement.

gaz1185

Sir Alex Ferguson has earmarked United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as his potential Old Trafford successor.

The Reds’ 70-year-old manager has said he will carry on for at least another three years at the United helm.

But, while Euro big guns Pep Guardiola of Barcelona and Jose Mourinho of Real Madrid have been heavily linked with the post when it becomes available, Fergie believes novice Solskjaer would be ideally suited to dealing with the pressure of the job.

And he says he is already a step ahead of other former Reds because he always knew he wanted to become a manager.

Bryan Robson, Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce and Roy Keane, amongst others, have all turned their hands to management, with varying degrees of success, after leaving United.

But Ferguson believes Solskjaer’s preparation for life in the hot-seat, including taking notes about training sessions, has set him apart from other United alumni.

“I think the problem for a lot of footballers today is that when they get to the end of their careers they decide they want to become coaches because they have nothing else in their mind that they think they can do,” said Ferguson.

“Whereas Ole always wanted to stay in the game, so from an early age he was preparing stay in the game as a coach or as a manager, as he is at the moment. So he has given himself a better chance than the rest.

“Ole was always one of the professionals that used to take down all the notes from the training sessions and games.”

Solskjaer, Ferguson’s former reserve team manager, led Norwegian side Molde to their first league title in his first season as a manager last year.

And Ferguson insists the 38-year-old, who was linked with the Portsmouth job in October, has all the attributes to become a top boss.

“He has got an inner toughness, there’s no doubt about that,” added the United manager. “He is a nice man with a lovely manner about him.

“If you go to a club in Norway that have never won the league ever in their history and you win the league you have to have something about you to do that.

“He has brought in his own staff. He’s brought two coaches from United as part of his structure to the club so he knew where he was going. A useful thing to have in management is good decision making.

“It’s possibly one of the most important things and he has been decisive, so yes he has got a lot going for himself.”
:drool:

davisjw

Sadly the quotes don't match the article's assumption that Fergie has "earmarked" Ole as his successor.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
And? Pep never managed anyone before Barca...
Pep took over a side packed with world class stars, many of which he coached in the youth set up. But he is also a bit of a once off

I realise Ole had our reserves, but I would really like to see him get a lot more experience before even been considered a potential manager for us.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Same could be said about Fergie with Aberdeen.
Why? he won the league and the UEFA cup with them so he had a good pedigree going into our job which was not even a fraction in enormity of what it is now

Ole has managed Molde

People laugh at the suggestion of Martin O'Neil being a candidate for this job, but on the other hand with a perfectly straight face can think Ole would be a good choice

prateik

According to articles like that, Fergie 'earmarks' 2-3 managers every season to succeed him and never retires.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Why? he won the league and the UEFA cup with them so he had a good pedigree going into our job

Ole has managed Molde

People laugh at the suggestion of Martin O'Neil being a candidate for this job, but on the other hand with a perfectly straight face can think Ole would be a good choice
I agree with you but my point is we don't know when Fergie's going to retire and we don't know what Ole might achieve with them or else where to deserve his name in the hat. Personally I would prefer he didn't manage us, not until he has been a manager/away from the club for a bit longer. Not because of the experience but because I'd hate for his reputation here to be ruined by poor results and performances, he's one of my favourite players of all time and I don't think I'd be able to take hearing people calling for his sacking if it were to go tits up.

Varun

Staff
Pep took over a side packed with world class stars, many of which he coached in the youth set up. But he is also a bit of a once off

I realise Ole had our reserves, but I would really like to see him get a lot more experience before even been considered a potential manager for us.
Yep. Ole needs to prove himself at challenges greater than molde if he wants to take over from Sir Alex imo. He's done well so far though. lets hope he gets himself a bigger platform to prove himself in.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I dont think that those who wants Ole to succeed Fergie are saying that they want him in next season. It's just the prospect of Ole managing United that makes them hope it'll happen, and offcourse he has to deserve it first. He's my favorite all time United-player and I really wish that he'll end up being our manager at some point, but only if he's proved himself to be good enough in his jobs ahead of taking up the managerial position after Sir Alex.

davisjw

Same could be said about Fergie with Aberdeen.
Who he won a European Cup with and league medals..

Ole has time on his hands. Fergie said three more years unless something goes wrong so in that time Ole would have had time to make his mark.

I'd like Ole because A. he's young so he'll grow with the team B. he comes through our system which means he knows our culture and Fergie's way of managing and C. the other candidates don't pop out.

Keano will never be a manager here - too many burnt bridges. Jose relies on buying titles and expensive players without heed to groomed youth talent which is the opposite of our tradition. Getting Pep would be like cheating - we can't beat them so might as well steal their manager. O'Neal is too old and hasn't gotten anywhere. Other managers who played under Fergie just haven't lit up the world.

The pickings are slim for a manager these days. Just the same old shite out managers who hop around PL teams. Why not Ole?

At least we're past the notion of someone like Big Sam managing us :nervous:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think Martin O'Neil has done a very good job with every side he has been at. He would not be my 1st choice, but we could do far worse.

Eriku

He could do with a lot more experience, preferably at a bigger stage, before he takes the reigns... but he's already proved a keen student of Ferguson, and an adherent to good footballing tradition as well as a modernity about the approach. He's brought people he trusts and who know the system he wants, he's trusted in youth and trusted in versatility through defence crisis (sounds familiar), and he persisted with his style when they got off to a rocky pre-season which went on to a season premiere thrashing by a newly promoted side and not looking like favourites early on.

Ole always had character and a keen sense of where the match could be won. I really hope his successive season, and perhaps even a taste of the Champions League or Europa League, will show us that it wasn't just the rising tide of Molde's first season managed by their biggest and most brilliant export ever.

kps88

That article is terrible. Those quotes were basically about Fergie talking about his ex players becoming managers and praising how well Ole's done.

Jinn

3 years to go.
Ole needs at least one more league title, a good run in the Europe and a couple of cups.
That should do it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm surprised Blanc has fallen off the radar as well? He did a terrific job at Bordeaux (maybe they fell off a bit in his last season or so at the club) and he seems to be bringing through the next generation of French players in the national team.

I'm hoping someone young, like Ole or Brendan Rodgers can prove themselves over the next 3 years because alot can happen in football in 3 years (a candidate might become a favourite who we've never heard of).

Favourites remain Mourinho, (maybe) Pep and the rest are wild cards.

Hal9000

Blanc has fallen off the radar because he does nothing bar manage a national side for 8 games a year.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That's a bit harsh. He did quite a bit before his national team stint and he seems to be moving the NT in the right direction as well. (though to be fair - anyone was going to be a step up from Domenech).

Incidentally, I spoke to a United fan at work and when I mentioned Blanc, the guy went off on a tangent how he doesn't want a racist in charge of United. I had min idea what he was on about. Anyone have a clue what he might have been referring to?

Sally Cinnamon

That's a bit harsh. He did quite a bit before his national team stint and he seems to be moving the NT in the right direction as well. (though to be fair - anyone was going to be a step up from Domenech).

Incidentally, I spoke to a United fan at work and when I mentioned Blanc, the guy went off on a tangent how he doesn't want a racist in charge of United. I had min idea what he was on about. Anyone have a clue what he might have been referring to?
Les Bleus coach Laurent Blanc poised to go after 'racism' own goal | Football | The Observer

99 red balloons

I really don't want Ole to be next. I want Ole at some point though. Just that there's a good chance the next manager is on a hiding to nothing, no matter who it is - and I'd hate to see that person be Ole.

When they unveiled that name the Sir Alex Ferguson stand, how many photographers licked their lips - you can just see the image of the new man, having drawn at home to someone like Bolton, looking out onto the pitch with that massive sign looking down on him.

Headline writers dream.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I really don't want Ole to be next. I want Ole at some point though. Just that there's a good chance the next manager is on a hiding to nothing, no matter who it is - and I'd hate to see that person be Ole.

When they unveiled that name the Sir Alex Ferguson stand, how many photographers licked their lips - you can just see the image of the new man, having drawn at home to someone like Bolton, looking out onto the pitch with that massive sign looking down on him.

Headline writers dream.
I think Oles perfect for the job frankly. He's been a player and a member of the management team at United, he knows the club inside out. He will be given plenty of time by us fans and will continue the youth process.

I've been watching his progress and so far so good. As I said a few months ago though, he needs to stick with Molde imo and show that he can bring consistency to a club. Keep them challenging/winning trophies.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
There's been quite a few examples of ex players (legends) managing their clubs Simon. I'd agree that only a select few has actually been able to pull it off, but there's hope!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think Ole could be a manager for us at some point, however I don't want him to be a successor to Sir Alex, in all honesty, especially if Fergie does decide to retire in the next few years.

Ole has obviously done a brilliant job at Molde, but I think the jump from Norweigan football to the highest pressure job in world football will be too big for him right away. Sometimes these appointments can work, but it could equally turn out to be a complete disaster.

Basically, I'd like to see him firstly working his way up. From Molde, he could go to a bigger job, possibly a Europa League-midtable level team here, and then another level up, then to us. Of course, he could be the right choice from the start, but experience could be more beneficial for him, and he's already building a lot of it up.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
He needs to prove himself in the PL or another big league first, or work very hands on as Sir Alex' number two, before he has a shot at the job.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I have a suspicion Ole has been pencilled in for the job.

The timeline fits.

By the time Sir Alex packs it in, I reckon Mourinho will already be at City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.
Surely ole needs to serve more of an apprenticeship? I'd have thought perhaps another year at molde, then spain, then perhaps premier league for a vouple of years then united? or perhaps a couple of years as assistant could do it? I can see them bringing an old head like ancelotti in to steady the ship post sir Alex (almost like a night watchman) and then ole.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Aren't these pretty old quotes from that interview SAF did with Alex. He got a question about many of his former players become managers and Ole seems to be doing well now. The quotes look very similar, if not the same. Never did they sound like he wanted him as a successor. He just praised him for bringing the first ever league title to Molde and said he always kept an eye on the coaches and took notes and such.

fatboy

He's made a great start to his managing career, but so did Keane. Hard to say how far he will go, but Solkjaer has this humility about him that makes me think he is going to make sure he learns the basics at every level first, before taking the next leap. I think his progress will be methodical, and there's no way he'll be anywhere in the running for the United job within 3 years.

He'll probably want to educate himself in managing a lower division club in England, and probably a stronger club in Europe to get Champion's League experience, before even thinking about United.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
If Ole puts together a good run in the CL over the next 3 years (into the QFs) then you can virtually guarantee he will be managing here.

Collina

Klar melding: SKYT - Rbnett

If anyone want to see him during a training session: Video of Solskjaer telling his players to shoot.

(pointless post if the video doesn't work outside of Norway of course, but I think it does)