Solskjaer's contract

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As things stand it would send out a similarly bad message to reward him with a new contract as things stand.

Wait and see how the season plays out.
I dont think we should give him a contract now. In the summer 100%.

laughtersassassin

I dont think we should give him a contract now. In the summer 100%.
100% no matter how this season ends? Surely not.

Come 2nd, 3rd or win a trophy sure I agree.

4th 5th 6th with no trophy then no way for me

Too much up in the air to be saying he should get one.

edgecutter

The board is so incompetent that they gave phil jones a new contract. It just wouldn't surprise me that they would hand out a new one to ole and the whole coaching team even if we didn't get top 4.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I want Ole out more than most, but if the choice is between him and Allegri I genuinely rather keep Ole. I can't handle another defensive manager.
I have no idea why people keep saying he's negative - but if he stops us conceding fecking stupid goals that's a bonus. who else would you take?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Do you literally never want to enjoy watching us again? Allegri. Jesus christ, a little bit of sick enters my mouth every time he's brought up. Some on here seem completely against looking forward. Don't you want to be excited to watch us? Or is it simply about grinding out defensive joyless wins?
I'd take winning games 1-0 over losing to Sheffield United any day of the week - but I have no idea why people think Allegri is boring

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Of course if we completely collapse from here then that's something to judge when the time comes, but I still think we'll end up top 4. In that case he should get a contract.

laughtersassassin

Of course if we completely collapse from here then that's something to judge when the time comes, but I still think we'll end up top 4. In that case he should get a contract.
Even a for 4th? That would indicate a miserable second half of the season and no progress from last season.

People keep saying we have progressed so 4th shouldn't be an option.

Giggsy13

I have no idea why people keep saying he's negative - but if he stops us conceding fecking stupid goals that's a bonus. who else would you take?
Heaven forbid we sign a manager with a proven track history again. No no, let’s have faith in someone who is a former club man because only they’re capable of understanding the club ethos and culture. The irony of this Ole in position is that if the same standard was applied in 1986, a then Alex Ferguson wouldn’t be considered because he was clearly not a United man at the time, an outsider by all accounts who was considering the Spurs job as well.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Even a for 4th? That would indicate a miserable second half of the season and no progress from last season.

But the difference between 3rd or 4th could be goal difference, or a point. You don't make decisions based on such small margins. If we get back into the CL, and that helps towards us having a strong summer in the market, then I'm quite content with that, and we can look forward to a season with fans and a regular schedule. Not ecstatic mind, but content.

laughtersassassin

But the difference between 3rd or 4th could be goal difference, or a point. You don't make decisions based on such small margins. If we get back into the CL, and that helps towards us having a strong summer in the market, then I'm quite content with that, and we can look forward to a season with fans and a regular schedule. Not ecstatic mind, but content.
Could be. Could be much more.

Either way coming 4th after being so far ahead in Jan would indicate major regression.

Standards are real low which won't help us get back to the top.

Everyone was saying he should stay with Clear progress. My point is that would not be clear progress at all.

Ole also indicated we will have a quiet summer so if True his coaching will have to "progress" us next season yet it hasn't done so this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..
Don't waste your time.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
we've been lucky so far in that kevin de B thinks he's playing for us - having a horror so far

copen1945

After the City game, hopefully, he will get the deserved contract extension.

Red_toad

I've been wondering if it was the same person for ages. Wasn't he constantly going about being ITK too.
Yes and he was rightly banned. Goldtrafford hasn’t yet reply but they sure have many similarities...

Cast5

Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..
Don’t be so silly, there’s clearly people who despise the man, they post hundreds of times about how much of a clown he is and that he should be sacked win, lose or draw, don’t be so blind. Just read the Ole thread, there’s clearly “United fans” who hate him.

rollingstoned1

Heaven forbid we sign a manager with a proven track history again. No no, let’s have faith in someone who is a former club man because only they’re capable of understanding the club ethos and culture. The irony of this Ole in position is that if the same standard was applied in 1986, a then Alex Ferguson wouldn’t be considered because he was clearly not a United man at the time, an outsider by all accounts who was considering the Spurs job as well.
Yea it's not like we ever went down the proven manager path before. And then after they fail we get to pivot and claim that they were actually past it and not the right fit for us.

Ftr I've always been 'Ole in' but i've had a few doubts this past month whether going forward he is the right man for us but at the present moment you can't argue that he hasn't achieved what he set out to/we wanted. Come next season if we are still complaining about the same things we can review the situation. One shouldn't lose sight of the fact that these are generally exceptional times and it's not worth massively rocking the boat unless necessary.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yea it's not like we ever went down the proven manager path before. And then after they fail we get to pivot and claim that they were actually past it and not the right fit for us.

Ftr I've always been 'Ole in' but i've had a few doubts this past month whether going forward he is the right man for us but at the present moment you can't argue that he hasn't achieved what he set out to/we wanted. Come next season if we are still complaining about the same things we can review the situation. One shouldn't lose sight of the fact that these are generally exceptional times and it's not worth massively rocking the boat unless necessary.
All sorts of managers have their own fail and success story.

LVG/Jose = proven manager who fails at United, but on the same time SAF was a proven manager who's successful at United. There's Pep, and there's Lampard. There's Zidane and there's Maradonna.

So unless clubs have a crystal ball you'll still need to hire and fire until you get the right one, there's no shame in that. Every other club is doing it. Off course we could install abit of patience along the way and probably give 2 seasons at the very least, but if it's proven it doesn't work you have to pull the trigger.

Velvet Revolver

Don’t be so silly, there’s clearly people who despise the man, they post hundreds of times about how much of a clown he is and that he should be sacked win, lose or draw, don’t be so blind. Just read the Ole thread, there’s clearly “United fans” who hate him.
I think hate is very strong and misinterpreted word. Disliking and disagreeing with someone's ideologies and actions doesn't mean hating that person.

lysglimt

Scout
No meme. For starters, watch his Brighton team’s performance against Palace last week. They lost, but they absolutely peppered Palace and ought to have won 3 or 4-0. They had 25 shots to 3.

Compare that to what we are doing now and have a look at this post I made just now.

Can you really disagree with any of this?
You do understand that he is about to get Brighton relegated right ? Simply because they can't defend - and not score goals, which in my book is fairly important. So who cares if they play nice football.

RashyForPM

You do understand that he is about to get Brighton relegated right ? Simply because they can't defend - and not score goals, which in my book is fairly important. So who cares if they play nice football.
They can defend. Watch their games back, they do not give up a lot of chances and create loads, hence their XG numbers. If they make individual mistakes, like Dunk and Sanchez against Leicester, while hitting the post and having a goal ruled out because the striker was a few inches off, what can a manager do?

Also, they won’t go down. Trust me. They’re a good side, much better than Newcastle and Burnley, and slightly better than Fulham.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sorry can't let this pass! we actually defend very well, we 've conceded less goals than Liverpool this season and only 3 more than you. I am very happy with our defence, as a unit they work very well together and individually there's is a reason why Dunk is often linked with big 6 clubs as is White.

We create masses of chances, we have just been awful this season at finishing them off, the last three games have been so ainful to watch as we have without doubt been the better team and yet have lost despite it. I amloathe to blame anything on luck in football, but our recent run of of luck has been awful! Having said that I do not think Potter is ready for a team like United, but I do think he is an excellent manager in terms of tactics, understanding of the game and man management.

They can defend. Watch their games back, they do not give up a lot of chances and create loads, hence their XG numbers. If they make individual mistakes, like Dunk and Sanchez against Leicester, while hitting the post and having a goal ruled out because the striker was a few inches off, what can a manager do?

Also, they won’t go down. Trust me. They’re a good side, much better than Newcastle and Burnley, and slightly better than Fulham.
That's more like it!

Water Melon

Do not do anything until he enters last 6 months of his contract. Let us see where we are come January next year.

gajender

@The Boy why do you think he isn't ready for Club like United as you have rightly mentioned he sets up his team's nicely defensively without compromising on attacking impetus , it's either sheer bad luck or lack of quality which seems to be reason for Brighton's struggles this season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy why do you think he isn't ready for Club like United as you have rightly mentioned he sets up his team's nicely defensively without compromising on attacking impetus , it's either sheer bad luck or lack of quality which seems to be reason for Brighton's struggles this season.
He's had a bit of a meteoric rise from Sweden to the Premiership via one season at Swansea. He's still finding his feet a bit in the premiership and so far he has never managed any top quality players, I think he needs a bit longer to really prove his credentials before taking a on a top side. Also I want him to stay at Brighton for a few more seasons yet!

20Legend2020

You seem a bit harsh on Ole. We are playing good football, scoring tons of goals, what more do you want? Do you not see improvement? Be positive mate!

Red_toad

Anyone who hates Ole isn't a United fan. Please don't call people silly when you're gullible enough to think trolls don't frequent this forum.

Anders Agnalt

I'm glad the incompetents are gathered here on the forum rather than on the club board. Here we are number 2 on the table and people are talking about firing the manager, who will replace him?
Had I not loved the club, I would have thought that the club could only change manager, maybe hire Mourinho, Moyes or LVG again. Big names and no result!
We may have the youngest team in the PL, we are building for the future while the supporters want to buy all players over the age of 30 who were once good at winning the PL again. If we change manager every 2-4 years, we will never win anything.
The club is at its best since SAF and the team is full of players in their early 20s.
Give Ole a contract that secures the future of the club!

20Legend2020

I'm glad the incompetents are gathered here on the forum rather than on the club board. Here we are number 2 on the table and people are talking about firing the manager, who will replace him?
Had I not loved the club, I would have thought that the club could only change manager, maybe hire Mourinho, Moyes or LVG again. Big names and no result!
We may have the youngest team in the PL, we are building for the future while the supporters want to buy all players over the age of 30 who were once good at winning the PL again. If we change manager every 2-4 years, we will never win anything.
The club is at its best since SAF and the team is full of players in their early 20s.
Give Ole a contract that secures the future of the club!
There are definitely some plastic fans on this form. They do not stand by the club when results aren't positive and quickly channel their frustration on all the wrong people. I just can not understand how any United fans can be critical of Bruno to the point of asking him to be dropped when playing against top 6.. it's mind bugling to say the least. I think these are just some really grumpy folks who like to complain constantly about something to keep them busy. They just don't know how to be satisfied. Sad.

Yakuza_devils

1. I think Kloop is done at Liverpool, will either leave or get sack this season.

2. Laporta want Pep back to Barca to revive the team.

3. Maybe worth to keep Ole for another season to see what he can do?

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Solskjaer will still be here in 10 years I reckon. He's always seemed the kind of guy that thrives on being underestimated initially even as a player but then just completely holding onto his big breaks and working like mad to succeed. Doesn't hurt that he's got a very astute football mind (again an aspect that is underestimated) and is a much better man manager than any of our post SAF managers.

As an aside, I'm very interested is how the philosophy these new coaches who played the game at a high level is shaped by their playing position on the field - Pep a midfielder, Poch a defender, Ole (also SAF) a striker. I think its not the be all and end all, but I can see some influences. Like the way Ole and SAF love the idea of speed on transition to get the ball to the forwards as much and as soon as possible, whereas with Pep he wants to pass and move the opposition to death.

meamth

1. I think Kloop is done at Liverpool, will either leave or get sack this season.

2. Laporta want Pep back to Barca to revive the team.

3. Maybe worth to keep Ole for another season to see what he can do?
Before anything, Laporta needs to fix Barca's finance first. Pep is staying for foreseeable future. They cannot afford Pep's wages.

Brightonian

I would take 4th and both cups. These players need to get their hands on trophies.

Obviously would rather 2nd and both cups but just thinking hypothetically here!

OleBoiii

I'm firmly Ole in, but failure to get top 4 should result in him losing his job. If he wins the EL then it can be reconsidered.

Every manager in the post Fergie era has been fired after failing to get CL football after a full season. Ole should have the same demands. What's interesting is that he is likely to be the first manager to get top 4 two times in a row. If we strengthen the team further this summer then I have a hard time seeing him falling out of the top 4 next season as well. The question then becomes: how long is a manager allowed to stay without winning major trophies? What's the limit there? 3 years? 5? Even longer?

GoldTrafford99

What.
The.
feck?

This season has nothing to do with it.

Why are fans so impatient?

Why are Man United fans - of all fans of all the clubs in the world - not patient?

Our club has been built on patience. We have only ever won trophies through long-term planning.

Ole is building for the future.. whether we finish 2nd or 6th this season is totally irrelevant to whether or not that plan should still be seen through.. It's not about this season. Never was. It's not even about next season.

Imagine saying in 1988: 'Don't renew Alex Ferguson's contract until we see where he finishes this year" - and then he finished 13th and you go and sack him?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Most managers will get relegated with this current Brighton team - they are a terrible side. But Potter has actually done very well of late, and might well keep them up. I think Newcastle will go down with WBA and Sheffield.

laughtersassassin

What.
The.
feck?

Why are Man United fans - of all fans of all the clubs in the world - not patient?

Our club has been built on patience. We have only ever won trophies through long-term planning.

Ole is building for the future.. whether we finish 2nd or 6th this season is totally irrelevant to whether or not that plan should still be seen through.. It's not about this season. Never was. It's not even about next season.
What.
The.
feck?

Imagine saying in 1988: 'Don't renew Alex Ferguson's contract until we see where he finishes this year" - and then he finished 13th and you go and sack him?
6th..... Now we know your just having a laugh.

Do tell me what would be acceptable about becoming sixth or even fifth?

What would be the extenuating circumstances that would make it reasonable?

Would that still show progress?

If we win Europa he can come 6th. Ole should be given the same rules as our previous managers.

Football has changed mate and Ole doesn't have the credentials that Fergie had. Also the club made a clear plan to hire Fergie and if we are honest we fell into having Ole as manager as Jose was sacked.