Solskjaer's contract

AgentSmith

Just to take one example. ManCity 98 p two years ago. This year maximum 98 p if they win every game they have left. They will definitly have scored less goals then previous year when they scored over 100. Sack Guardiola for nt scoring over 100 goals. Last year people talked about Guardiola as a fraud wich is hillarious because he is brilliant manager. So you see, you can use statistic how you want wich is my point to the person who posted about statistics.

You are missing point. I was using 75 just because I wanted to make a point. I could have said that I rather win league with 60 p then coming 2nd with 110. Seasons are always different to eachother.
You'd rather win the league than come 2nd. I agree.

laughtersassassin

There is zero reason to give Ole a new contract. I'd assume even people who want him heee next year would agree?

Right now I'm 50/50 if he should stay. No decision should be made untill we see how this season turns out. If current form kept up there would be no reason to keep him.

red4ever 79

Not improving? Both City and Liverpool have not improved this year. Neither few other top clubs. Does that mean that League is thougher to win or does that mean that ”top” managers are bad and every club should change them?

When it comes to statistic. You can find statistic for everything that you want. It is not strange. I can find stats that Solskjaer is best manager ever. I can find stats that he is worst.

When it comes tactics, I rather play with 2 holding midfielders. You can say Liverpool play with 3. City 2. Pretty much everybody plays with 2. It is about giving team as a whole a balance. Play with one and you Will see how many goals we would have against.

Still, I would rather win league with 75 instead of coming second with 95. You are just making my point that every season is different.
Stopped reading and engaging in discussion after that. Wum

Judas

Open to offers
I admire backing the manager, putting all your energy into supporting him, but to say City haven't improved on last season is just a bit bonkers.

croadyman

Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..
Great post and also sums up my feelings on the matter perfectly

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..
Excellent post.

laughtersassassin

I'm not surprised. When facts are on the table and you don't like them it is easier to write like you did.
City had a shaky start to the first third of the season and our still on to break their points total for last year.

Seems they have very much improved to me.

We had undeniably imporved as well up till Jan.

But we are in a free fall since then

90 + 5min

I admire backing the manager, putting all your energy into supporting him, but to say City haven't improved on last season is just a bit bonkers.
I only said about goals last year. I used two seasons ago looking at points. It is all done to show that stats don't really matter and that we don't need to compare seasons. Every season is different to eachother.

croadyman

He's doing a stellar job for the board because he doesn't complain publicly and all they want is CL football, everything else is a bonus.

Some people just can't differentiate their feelings between Ole the player and Ole the manager.
Yeah his lack of being willing to complain publicly is music to their ears and buy him all the time in the world no matter whether or not we still finish in the top 4, also thought you were bang on about Allegri not being the right manager for us but that doesn't mean we should just carry on with Ole and not look at other candidates. The biggest problem is the most attractive options are currently in jobs and the toy story puppet wouldn't spend the money to buy them out of a contract.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There is zero reason to give Ole a new contract. I'd assume even people who want him heee next year would agree?
Nope. Strongly disagree. A manager in his final year loses a lot of the leverage that we need a manager to have. There's no downside to giving him a contract. He knows the score. Its progress or its a thanks very much and all the best

laughtersassassin

Nope. Strongly disagree. A manager in his final year loses a lot of the leverage that we need a manager to have. There's no downside to giving him a contract. He knows the score. Its progress or its a thanks very much and all the best
He isn't a big manager, he isn't going anywhere else. So why would he need a new contract before he has earned it?

If you are talking about leverage over our useless owners then that doesn't really matter either since Ole doesn't use it.

Leverage to sign players id agree with. But the only player Ole might have pulling power for is Halaand.

As things stand he might not even be here next year with how our form is plummeting.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is downside, we will end up playing lot of money when/if we sack him.

What leverage manager will lose?

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah his lack of being willing to complain publicly is music to their ears and buy him all the time in the world no matter whether or not we still finish in the top 4, also thought you were bang on about Allegri not being the right manager for us but that doesn't mean we should just carry on with Ole and not look at other candidates. The biggest problem is the most attractive options are currently in jobs and the toy story puppet wouldn't spend the money to buy them out of a contract.
Sorry but I don't see this as a negative because it would achieve feck all. He puts enough sly digs in there without going all humongous prick like Jose. Couldn't think of anything worse than to witness someone spilling toxic filth like that again, and Ole clearly isn't that type of character to speak out of turn in public. Weird how you'd want that.

Roboc7

Assuming we scrape top four and he stays any contract renewal should have a set fee for compensation, then the length of deal is fairly irrelevant. Ole doesn’t have much bargaining power and no one else will want him so there’s no need for him to have assurance of a big pay off.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Assuming we scrape top four and he stays any contract renewal should have a set fee for compensation, then the length of deal is fairly irrelevant. Ole doesn’t have much bargaining power and no one else will want him so there’s no need for him to have assurance of a big pay off.
Yeah fixed compensation is the way to go.

Also I hope we move on from "top 4 and you are safe" thing. We should have bigger expectations than that.

croadyman

Sorry but I don't see this as a negative because it would achieve feck all. He puts enough sly digs in there without going all humongous prick like Jose. Couldn't think of anything worse than to witness someone spilling toxic filth like that again, and Ole clearly isn't that type of character to speak out of turn in public. Weird how you'd want that.
Yeah I wouldn't want him to go all toxic like Jose but was referring more to when people like Klopp/Pep/Tuchel push for it in pressers or interviews with the media

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
He'll get two year extension in the Summer, even if Utd finish outside the CL places (unlikely in my opinion.) At the moment, I can see the Glazer's being pretty happy with him and won't do anything to rock the boat.

Roboc7

Yeah fixed compensation is the way to go.

Also I hope we move on from "top 4 and you are safe" thing. We should have bigger expectations than that.
You’d hope so, we shouldn’t be just repeating same cycle and only reacting when things fall apart but that seems to be the pattern.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Exactly. We made the same mistake with Mourinho by giving him a huge new contract and then sacking him six months or so later.

Lappen

I would like us to have a manager to exceeds the bare minimum aim of top 4 football and play decent football instead of the shit we play most of the time.
We all do! We all do!
I just try to point out some of the difficulties every manager would have trying to succeed with just that.

Judas

Open to offers
He'll get two year extension in the Summer, even if Utd finish outside the CL places (unlikely in my opinion.) At the moment, I can see the Glazer's being pretty happy with him and won't do anything to rock the boat.
I just don't get why anyone would think this. From us being 2nd looking like we'd have to properly collapse to not finish in the top 4, to end up failing? He'd be done, especially as we'd be finishing the season poorly, it wouldn't like we'd have a late spurt of good results to make things look promising for the future. The Glazers want that sweet sweet CL coin, now more than ever. It would be a clear sign of regression, he'd be out.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He isn't a big manager, he isn't going anywhere else. So why would he need a new contract before he has earned it?

If you are talking about leverage over our useless owners then that doesn't really matter either since Ole doesn't use it.

Leverage to sign players id agree with. But the only player Ole might have pulling power for is Halaand.

As things stand he might not even be here next year with how our form is plummeting.

I think you both underestimate the negative message it sends out everywhere to let a manager run down his contract. It rarely happens anywhere in football. Clubs don't give managers long contracts because they worry about them being poached. They do it because stability, or at least the illusion of it, is incredibly important.

The players, the staff, the fans, potential recruits - all negatively affected by uncertainty over a managers future.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If we finish top 4 he will get an extension, otherwise he will get sacked, as simple as that from the board’s point of view.
If he gets an extension it will be once the season has finished, there’s barely any time this season for preparations between games, let alone for contract extension talks which can wait for a couple of months. Only extensions / decisions which may be made earlier would be stuff like Cavani‘s extension due to some deadline.

Also this being a yes man and not blaming the board openly is kindergarten stuff really. Ole is intelligent enough to know that no one is ever going to win an open or hidden war against the board and that it will not benefit anyone. I am sure in private conversations he is telling them what we need, we didn’t spend the whole summer chasing Sancho, if Ole and the board agreed that the squad was already complete.
Still if people want some “proof” about him being a yes man, if this was the case he would be playing VdB much more. Why?
Board signing: Oh yes, me as a yes man wants to see the board happy.
Ole signing: I can’t admit I made a mistake by signing him, but I would be admitting this if I don’t play him.

At the end he is most likely just not using him much because so far he just doesn’t seem to rate him. If he was a board signing then this is a protest and being anything but a yes man.
If he was his signing then he is admitting by not using him that he made a mistake.
Whichever way you look at it, VdB’s (non)-use isn’t an example of a yes man.
But as I said it’s not that examples are needed anyway for this. Out of all the things to criticise him, not attacking the board or not having digs at them is one of the most bizarre ones.

laughtersassassin

I think you both underestimate the negative message it sends out everywhere to let a manager run down his contract. It rarely happens anywhere in football. Clubs don't give managers long contracts because they worry about them being poached. They do it because stability, or at least the illusion of it, is incredibly important.

The players, the staff, the fans, potential recruits - all negatively affected by uncertainty over a managers future.
As things stand it would send out a similarly bad message to reward him with a new contract as things stand.

Wait and see how the season plays out.

laughtersassassin

If we finish top 4 he will get an extension, otherwise he will get sacked, as simple as that from the board’s point of view.
If he gets an extension it will be once the season has finished, there’s barely any time this season for preparations between games, let alone for contract extension talks which can wait for a couple of months. Only extensions / decisions which may be made earlier would be stuff like Cavani‘s extension due to some deadline.

Also this being a yes man and not blaming the board openly is kindergarten stuff really. Ole is intelligent enough to know that no one is ever going to win an open or hidden war against the board and that it will not benefit anyone. I am sure in private conversations he is telling them what we need, we didn’t spend the whole summer chasing Sancho, if Ole and the board agreed that the squad was already complete.
Still if people want some “proof” about him being a yes man, if this was the case he would be playing VdB much more. Why?
Board signing: Oh yes, me as a yes man wants to see the board happy.
Ole signing: I can’t admit I made a mistake by signing him, but I would be admitting this if I don’t play him.

At the end he is most likely just not using him much because so far he just doesn’t seem to rate him. If he was a board signing then this is a protest and being anything but a yes man.
If he was his signing then he is admitting by not using him that he made a mistake.
Whichever way you look at it, VdB’s (non)-use isn’t an example of a yes man.
But as I said it’s not that examples are needed anyway for this. Out of all the things to criticise him, not attacking the board or not having digs at them is one of the most bizarre ones.
While you are correct 4th with no trophy would be a crap season and would be regression so I would sack him for that

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Wait till the end of the season, if he gets us top 4 he should just get a 12 month extension to stop him being in his final year.

If he exceeds that and gets top 4 and a cup I wouldn't be wholly against a 2 year extension.

Until he wins the title we should never be looking beyond that.

If we drop out of the top 4 I'd let him go.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
And you don't mind any of the actual consequences such decision would bring?
Depends on what you think the consequences will be.
I think he's doing a good job and hope he gets a long term contract.

laughtersassassin

So we all seem to agree that if he got 4th with no trophy he will get a new contract.

In my opinion though that would be a very poor season and a regression on last season.

I would honestly let him go for that.

Infra-red

I've been wondering if it was the same person for ages. Wasn't he constantly going about being ITK too.
Yes he was. As I recall, he got banned, changed his username and came back, posted for a while until it became obvious that he was the same person (his ludicrous, confabulatory style was unmistakable), denied the accusation repeatedly, got banned again and did not return.

He was a staunch defender of the Glazers.

Jackal981

Yeah I wouldn't want him to go all toxic like Jose but was referring more to when people like Klopp/Pep/Tuchel push for it in pressers or interviews with the media
Basically Ole is still on the job because he is a yes man who will bend over to whatever the board tell him

Giggsy13

The extension is likely already agreed, the club is probably just finding the right time to announce it. As a few have suggested, he’s the Glazer dream, no way he’s sacked since they’ll view being 2nd despite being 14 points adrift as progress.

laughtersassassin

The extension is likely already agreed, the club is probably just finding the right time to announce it. As a few have suggested, he’s the Glazer dream, no way he’s sacked since they’ll view being 2nd despite being 14 points adrift as progress.
We ain't second mate. And it's likely we'll be very close to 4th and 5th once the games play out this weekend

Darlington Padgett

Because most people aren't that short-sighted.

Not only do they not count the last 10 matches, but they won't count the next ten in their reasons for hiring or firing a manger either.

They see a much bigger picture.

Same reason decent fans weren't calling for Fergie's head in 1988 - because they knew all the groundwork was being done... They were much more open minded than judging on the 'now'...
I'd agree with you if there was actual progress. The quality of football is horrible, and we can't seem to find a way to play against teams that can actually defend. Our points total is basically the same as the previous managers who were sacked. We're yet to reach a final in a cup competition and when we're under pressure we just crumble...

What is the much bigger picture?
Quality is not there.
Points are not there.
Trophies are not there.

He cleared the deadwood and he's building a much better squad? We could do with Smalling right now? Lukaku? Darmian? Even Ashley Young is looking better than AWB. I just don't see it. We still need a center back, right back, right wing, striker, and a holding midfielder. That's exactly what we needed when he came in. So, where is the progress?