Solskjaer's contract

croadyman

Why is it rushed exactly? :confused:
Because like many have said we should have been waiting until the end of the season and another thing to bear in mind is top players like Bruno will not put up with just contending for top 4 very long I am certain of that

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because like many have said we should have been waiting until the end of the season and another thing to bear in mind is top players like Bruno will not put up with just contending for top 4 very long I am certain of that
Why? I would hope the club are able to make an informed decision on a manager that can't be completely undone within 10 games. That'll be one less contract to sort in what is likely to be another short window.

croadyman

Because it's the smart thing to do and please don't buy into Ole signing a new deal enhances our chance of getting Haaland because absolutely certain he will go elsewhere due to our yankee leeches

ivaldo

Because it's the smart thing to do and please don't buy into Ole signing a new deal enhances our chance of getting Haaland because absolutely certain he will go elsewhere due to our yankee leeches
You're going to have to do better than ' the smart thing to do.' That's a cop out. Please see my edited post above.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You're going to have to do better than ' the smart thing to do.' That's a cop out. Please see my edited post above.
What's the rush. Nobody is going to be battering our door down for him. Finish the season. Then he has to be right up the challenging and win a trophy of some sort next season. Then he will have earned the contract.

ivaldo

What's the rush. Nobody is going to be battering our door down for him. Finish the season. Then he has to be right up the challenging and win a trophy of some sort next season. Then he will have earned the contract.
I don't get why this is a rush. The club have been impressed with the progression we've made under him and want him to continue his job here. It means we can begin/continue any plans we have for the summer window instead of signing a new manager in June and panicking to get it all done in what will be a short window.

There's always a constant barrage of complaints because we haven't done all of our business by the end of the first week of the Summer transfer window. The club are being proactive here. If they are confident he is the man for the job whats the issue?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The sensible answer but strangely outrageous for some. Just a short time ago (when we were top of the league) 99% of Oles most staunchist supporters were in agreement that if we didn't make top 4 Ole has to go. Now it's not a certainty there seems to be a lot of back tracking going on in case we miss out on top 4. If he signs now problem solved.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Maybe he’ll have a top 4 clause in his contract (otherwise we can get rid with a minimal pay-off).
Incredible that the club comes up with all those Balon D’or clauses when buying players but can’t be more creative when negotiating manager contracts.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't get why this is a rush. The club have been impressed with the progression we've made under him and want him to continue his job here. It means we can begin/continue any plans we have for the summer window instead of signing a new manager in June and panicking to get it all done in what will be a short window.

There's always a constant barrage of complaints because we haven't done all of our business by the end of the first week of the Summer transfer window. The club are being proactive here. If they are confident he is the man for the job whats the issue?
That is why I said he should be here next season. If he cannot produce another improvement, then we are just treading water, not making progress. He has to get Top 4 this season yet. After being top at one point, he should be looking at second place, because 3rd is not better than last season, especially if Leicester managed to finish above us although I don't think they will really.

Zen86

Nope, nothing flippant, the comment was accurate, just take a look at our trophy cabinet before he joined. I get the feeling you don't even know what you're supposed to be responding to anymore. In case you missed it Ole isn't irreplaceable nor are his managerial talents or credentials any special that he has to be tied down with a contract extension this early
Oh I know what I was responding to, it was this piece of intellectual brilliance:

Pick a name out of a hat and you're not likely to find a name that could put us on track to go 3 seasons without a trophy.

ivaldo

That is why I said he should be here next season. If he cannot produce another improvement, then we are just treading water, not making progress. He has to get Top 4 this season yet. After being top at one point, he should be looking at second place, because 3rd is not better than last season, especially if Leicester managed to finish above us although I don't think they will really.
Being top at one point and spending a considerable time is definitely an improvement. How many points were we off first and second last year?

That's your view and thats fine. But the board are clearly happen with the progress they've seen. So if they're happy, why is this a rush? What do we gain from waiting until the end of the season? It's no different to the appointment of Fletcher and Murtough, and it makes sense for the board to sort a new contract with Ole straight after. Nothing is going to change in the next month and a half.

tomaldinho1

Is this a joke. He has basically coached the sane 11 from last year better than any manager we have had over 2 seasons.
Feck me LVG was after Ramos and Muller before he could get us to where he wanted, Jose needed a whole new 11.
Ole got Cavani and Telles in the summer and made us significantly better from where he already had us
Well we weren’t in the CL and Ole took us out of it at the earliest opportunity, we lost in another semi and we don’t know about league position, EL or FA yet so I’d say jury is very much still out no?

I’m not trying to be antagonistic but I do feel there’s this narrative forming that he’s already achieved something that hasn’t happened yet. If the season ended today (assuming we beat WHUM) I’d say we’re playing pretty poorly but we have made progress as we’re closer to City and league position is better. The fact, however, that so many fans aren’t happy with Ole or are still on the fence should be an indicator that he’s not been this runaway success people seem to paint him as and, which is the point of this thread, why should he get a new contract now? Especially given the nosedive in form that happened when he came in full time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I mean... both of them won trophies. FA or EL is hardly a success but it's something. Also remember when Jose was criticized when we finished 2nd with 81 points? Apparently the style of football was bad. I can't disagree but it's funny seeing same people now turning the blind eye on Ole as we are nowhere near 80 points and our style of football is not better. If our previous managers were criticized for certain things I think it's only fair Ole is too.
Amazing how all that goes under radar with Ole inners. 81 point and two trophies were shit but this now is great?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
United fanbase is the only fanbase in the world that blames you for trying to have high ambitions, it's funny. Wanting your club to win trophies or challenge for the league means you're a toxic, spoilt and entitled fan.
:lol: :lol:. 100% true

Foxbatt

Amazing how all that goes under radar with Ole inners. 81 point and two trophies were shit but this now is great?
And successive CL appearance with Jose. This is why I asked what is the fetish with this top 4 business? Top 4 don't count unless it gets to CL. Now some will say they don't care about CL so long as we get into top 4.

Redfrog

Its the logic from the cult, its not even about the next 5 years. Its about patience and patience, maybe we'll not be here to see it but our kids will enjoy all the magnificent progress.
I want all the best for my kids to be honest:).
May they have a better life then me and I'll die an happy man !

Giggsy13

If he signs a new deal then misses out on top 4 and crashes out of the cup competitions, how do the staunch Ole in supporters justify the in-season contract renewal? Curious to see the mental gymnastics at play justifying the deal in that scenario.

lysglimt

Scout
To be quite honest - I don't understand this huge debate about a new contract or not. Every single manager who fails to get the result that is required, will get fired. So the only difference is if the payout the manager will get is 3 million or 7 million.

If you have faith in a manager you give him a new contract - if you don't you fire him. Managers dont sit out their contract and is then being replaced - that only happens in case of someone like Wenger or Ferguson.

If Solskjaer fails to reach top-4 and we dont do really well next season - he will get fired. If he reaches top-4 for the second year in a row, he deserves a new contract. If the results dont continue to improve - he will eventually get fired anyway so what is the problem ? :)

lysglimt

Scout
Solskjaer should just get rolling contract renewals contingent on him meeting the club's objectives e.g. Champions League football. There's no need to hand out Moyes length six year deals. Just give Ole a year extension with the option of another year, and keep doing that unless Ole decides he wants to go or he doesn't make Champions League.
Sorry but that is just stupid.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Being top at one point and spending a considerable time is definitely an improvement. How many points were we off first and second last year?

That's your view and thats fine. But the board are clearly happen with the progress they've seen. So if they're happy, why is this a rush? What do we gain from waiting until the end of the season? It's no different to the appointment of Fletcher and Murtough, and it makes sense for the board to sort a new contract with Ole straight after. Nothing is going to change in the next month and a half.
You seriously think that's a valid question when the answer is so obvious? I don't think it will happen but what happens if we free fall to 5th. Is it still signs of progress? Of course it's different from the appointment of Fletcher and Murtough. Fletcher hasn't even started his role so how difficult will it be to replace him? Appointing a manager as the face of United is a completely different prospect. Remember what happened the last time we gave Ole a contract before the season finished because I sure do?

ivaldo

You seriously think that's a valid question when the answer is so obvious? I don't think it will happen but what happens if we free fall to 5th. Is it still signs of progress? Of course it's different from the appointment of Fletcher and Murtough. Fletcher hasn't even started his role so how difficult will it be to replace him? Appointing a manager as the face of United is a completely different prospect. Remember what happened the last time we gave Ole a contract before the season finished because I sure do?
We kept him, and the board have been happy with what he has done since... I mean, way to shit on your own point. :lol:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We kept him, and the board have been happy with what he has done since... I mean, way to shit on your own point. :lol:
Of course the board are happy. Someone who doesn't cause waves inside the club is like a wet dream for them. God forbid we actually get a manager with ambitions would mean the club would be the fall guys when inevitably we fail to sign players needed to win us titles whereas Ole will just come out with excuses defending them.

ivaldo

Of course the board are happy. Someone who doesn't cause waves inside the club is like a wet dream for them. God forbid we actually get a manager with ambitions would mean the club would be the fall guys when inevitably we fail to sign players needed to win us titles whereas Ole will just come out with excuses defending them.
So how many times did Fergie come out and show his 'ambition' by criticizing the owners? Anymore logical fallacies you want to go over while we are here? Do try and stay on point next time. I'm not interested in getting into a debate about how terrible you think Ole is.

peridigm

We should have a manager that moans and cries in press conferences when things are going his way in the transfer window like our last manager? That worked out well for him and the club didn’t it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If he signs a new deal then misses out on top 4 and crashes out of the cup competitions, how do the staunch Ole in supporters justify the in-season contract renewal? Curious to see the mental gymnastics at play justifying the deal in that scenario.
Well it won't matter because he would be sacked and it would be another stupid contract given out like the Mourinho one in early 2018. I don't think we will finish outside the top four but it's a possibility and that's why I don't understand why they don't just wait. It's not like Ole's deal is running out either he has another year left on it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Try to stay on point and not let your hysteria get in the way. It's not a good look.

So how many times did Fergie come out and show his 'ambition' by criticizing the owners? Anymore logical fallacies you want to go over while we are here?
Hysteria for pointing out the obvious? Me thinks not

SAF is a footballing god and will deservedly be remembered in our history forever but that doesn't mean he was infallible. His comment no value in the market should of been a warning sign of things to come. The teams decline since that comment was notable and having to call Scholes out of retirement is an example of that. Yes he won the league in his final season but no other manager in the history of the sport would of done that which shows how good he was.

SAF didn't plan for his departure and left an aging squad which was more or less disbanded a season after. If Ole leaves half the legacy that SAF did then he can pick and choose what he wants to say to the owners but at the minute continually defending the Glazers won't do anything but see him out of a job.

ivaldo

Hysteria for pointing out the obvious? Me thinks not

SAF is a footballing god and will deservedly be remembered in our history forever but that doesn't mean he was infallible. His comment no value in the market should of been a warning sign of things to come. The teams decline since that comment was notable and having to call Scholes out of retirement is an example of that. Yes he won the league in his final season but no other manager in the history of the sport would of done that which shows how good he was.

SAF didn't plan for his departure and left an aging squad which was more or less disbanded a season after. If Ole leaves half the legacy that SAF did then he can pick and choose what he wants to say to the owners but at the minute continually defending the Glazers won't do anything but see him out of a job.
Again, logical fallacy. You've drawn correlation between speaking out against the owners and having ambition. We've got the the greatest manager in history holding the exact stance as Ole, but I suppose he lacked ambition too, hey? :houllier: It's completely nonsensical, but you'll grab any chance you get to have a good moan about Ole. It's utterly tiresome. I mean, you've somehow digressed from a conversation about whether the contact was given to soon, to Ole having no ambition.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It’s time to accept the club is happy with mediocre Finishes each season.

oreon

To be quite honest - I don't understand this huge debate about a new contract or not. Every single manager who fails to get the result that is required, will get fired. So the only difference is if the payout the manager will get is 3 million or 7 million.

If you have faith in a manager you give him a new contract - if you don't you fire him. Managers dont sit out their contract and is then being replaced - that only happens in case of someone like Wenger or Ferguson.

If Solskjaer fails to reach top-4 and we dont do really well next season - he will get fired. If he reaches top-4 for the second year in a row, he deserves a new contract. If the results dont continue to improve - he will eventually get fired anyway so what is the problem ? :)
It shouldn't be a debate. The smart thing is to evaluate at the end of the season. It's a year where you already have huge losses and probably won't be spending much in the summer. Why waste 4 mill if you don't have to. They can begin negotiating now, but they shouldn't finalize before the season end. We could miss top 4, then in that case he has to go. Bruno could get hurt and we miss top 4, in that case maybe it's not his fault and you give him extension albeit a shorter one. UTD need to start behaving like a properly run club and not repeat the mistake they made with Mourinho

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think we justify it by understanding a small number of games don't automatically define the longer term future.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Again, logical fallacy. You've drawn correlation between speaking out against the owners and having ambition. We've got the the greatest manager in history holding the exact stance as Ole, but I suppose he lacked ambition too, hey? :houllier: It's completely nonsensical, but you'll grab any chance you get to have a good moan about Ole. It's utterly tiresome. I mean, you've somehow digressed from a conversation about whether the contact was given to soon, to Ole having no ambition.
Greatest manager in history who failed to speak out and left an aging squad that was broken up shortly after he left. Once again I'll say after everything he achieved at the club that's his perogative. If Ole wants to carry on in the same vain before winning zilch that to is his perogative and I haven't digressed from anything. I was replying to your comment on the board being happy with him. I said of course they're happy with him because he's never going to say anything against the owners which makes their job a whole lot easier which is carrying on the conversation and not digressing from it.

RedDevilzFox

I think the bottom line is how much more time should Ole get given we can't mad-money splash our way to success? Even in a normal market we don't have silly money to throw around (mind you we've done that to an extent) and in this covid infested market that's entirely out of the question. Eventually we need a manager that can build a team and make them punch above their weight class to some success. This is what Klopp did at Liverpool.

If we believe Ole can do that, then he deserves more time and support. I for one don't think he is the guy to take us to PL/CL titles. If people think he is, I'd love to hear some points made objectively, not just random throw everything at the wall and see what sticks arguments.

ivaldo

Greatest manager in history who failed to speak out and left an aging squad that was broken up shortly after he left. Once again I'll say after everything he achieved at the club that's his perogative. If Ole wants to carry on in the same vain before winning zilch that to is his perogative and I haven't digressed from anything. I was replying to your comment on the board being happy with him. I said of course they're happy with him because he's never going to say anything against the owners which makes their job a whole lot easier which is carrying on the conversation and not digressing from it.
It either is or it aint. You can't pick and choose when it's relatable to the person's ambition just because you've decided Ole is crap.

Of course you've digressed. The conversation was about whether the contract offer was rushed, and you've reverted to type and started bitching about Ole's ambition. The board being happy with Ole is the reason why they've offering him a new contract now. If you want to go on yet another rant about why Ole is a horrendous manager then find someone bored enough to entertain that conversation, again.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we offer him a contract before the end of the season that’s dumb even by Woodward’s standards.

He’s done nothing to show me that we will ever achieve anything under him. He talks the talk about “United Way” then sets us up to draw 0-0 in almost every big game, or takes off our one attacking outlet with over 20 minutes to go against Milan, leaving us with 8 defensive players on the pitch desperately trying to cling to a 1-0. Fearless player, cowardly manager.

His status with the fans makes him a perfect appointment for Ed & the Glazers. They will continue to line their pockets, we will challenge for top 4 every year & win nothing.

arnie_ni

Why? I would hope the club are able to make an informed decision on a manager that can't be completely undone within 10 games. That'll be one less contract to sort in what is likely to be another short window.
If he doesn't get 4th place in the next 10 games he has to go.

Just wait it out and see imo.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It either is or it aint. You can't pick and choose when it's relatable to the person's ambition just because you've decided Ole is crap.

Of course you've digressed. The conversation was about whether the contract offer was rushed, and you've reverted to type and started bitching about Ole's ambition. The board being happy with Ole is the reason why they've offering him a new contract now. If you want to go on yet another rant about why Ole is a horrendous manager then find someone bored enough to entertain that conversation, again.
It's actually pretty funny you accusing me of ranting when it's you about to have an aneurism :lol:

Go back, read through the posts, see what direction they took, come back and you won't even have to apologise :)