Solskjaer's contract

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Summarizes our lack of ambition as a club overall. We sadly dont aim for titles anymore, top 4 is deemed as success now.

No matter what the coach or players say, thats the aim and its been proven again.
Yup, in only two years we became Arsenal. Even worse. We just want top 4 trophy. They at least want to win some cup then and there.

Caesar2290

I keep reading from some posters on here on how we have improved, and I'm struggling to see what they're talking about. Are we watching the same Manchester United?

Our whole team is inconsistent from top to bottom. Our defense still looks suspect. Our midfield still lacks creativity. Our attack is still inconsistent. Our whole team looks like a bunch of individuals trying to figure out how to play as a team.

The only thing that's consistent in our team is Bruno. God forbid the man gets injured for a lengthy period of time, we'll struggle to finish top6, let alone top4.

Looking at all of this I'm struggling to see how Ole can get a new contract, let alone mid season where we're not even sure if we're going to finish top4.

It would be a strange decision to hand him a contract now. I don't get why we don't just wait until the end of the season and see where are under Ole then. He still has a year left on his current contract.
It's Woodward, what do you expect? He did the same thing with Mourinho where he extended his contract mid season. He also made Ole a permanent manager mid season as well. The man just never learns.

SAFMUTD

Not about this or next season :lol:
Its the logic from the ****, its not even about the next 5 years. Its about patience and patience, maybe we'll not be here to see it but our kids will enjoy all the magnificent progress.

James35

I don't understand the timing of this.

We have gone from top of the league to 17 points off the top, in the space of 8/9 weeks.

It would make more sense to see how the season ends and make the decision then. It is still possible we end up in the mid 60's points range with no Champions League. That is hardly progress.
Get out of here with your common sense.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Handing him a huge pay raise? I guess Roman has it all wrong with an 18 month contract and win the league or move on. The Glazers have it with reward nothing with big money.

saivet

My main issue with this is what's the end goal here with Ole?

If we are seeking to win the PL or CL, is Ole the man to take us there?

If his goal is to stabilise the club and have us as a regular top 4 club, surely he doesn't need a new contract, he's done his job and we should be looking for step up when his contract expires.

Ole has done okay since being here, but I'm struggling to see the long term benefit of keeping him another few seasons.

It seems the standards have dropped for the club and fanbase when the main ambition is to secure top 4 and hope to sneak a cup competition.

Odin

To give time for Ole to work with the new appointments of Murtough and Fletcher to see if that works?
Or to cement Ole's position, in the hope that this might help convince Haaland? Along with restructuring the club to ensure football people are handling all parts of direct negotiations with prospective players? I don't know, just a thought... or should I say "hope".

Crashoutcassius

No intelligent club would offer him anything until part-way through next season, depending on whether we've improve on this season and are looking competitive.

But intelligence is in short supply and Ed loves having his buffer to the fans so expect him to get a 3 year extension before a ball is even kicked next season.
Check if other clubs have ever offered a manager an extension before final season. You'll find they have. You saying these experts aren't intelligent doesn't make it so

Crashoutcassius

If his goal is to stabilise the club and have us as a regular top 4 club, surely he doesn't need a new contract, he's done his job and we should be looking for step up when his contract expires.

Ole has done okay since being here, but I'm struggling to see the long term benefit of keeping him another few seasons.

It seems the standards have dropped for the club and fanbase when the main ambition is to secure top 4 and hope to sneak a cup competition.
People said lvg and mouringo guaranteed success. They were wrong and looked like idiots. They said ole couldn't do a million things and were wrong over and over. Nobody knows it he can improve us and win a league, and trying to make concrete predictions will just leave them looking stupid all over again. If he is improving is we should stick with it, especially considering top managers failed to keep improving us in the past

Eugenius

Getting top 4 two years in a row isn't even something that has happened post Fergie. Thinking we have some preordained right to be challenging for titles is a bit delusional given the last 8 years.

Ole has done a good job sorting out the squad balance, and fixing the culture and recruitment. The performances since Bruno came demonstrate we are comfortably a top 4 team and probably the best of the rest outside of City (and depending on how long permanent their slump is, Liverpool).

He deserves a couple more years to have some crack at trying to bridge the gap to the next level (title challenge, good CL run) - assuming we can consolidate the progress we've made under him.

davidmichael

I don’t see any of Real, PSG or Barca coming in for Ole like the board were worried about with Jose and Ole LOVES United so wouldn't in a million years start pushing for a new contract so I don’t see why when we’re second in the league and pushing for two cup trophies we’d worry about a new contract for Ole.

It’s the Euro’s in the summer so Ole literally has feck all to do during the summer other than sit around watching the Euro’s whilst Murtough, Fletcher and Judge sort out the transfer targets that they’ve all agreed on so Woodward should wait until the summer for a new contract for Ole.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The fecking meltdown in here is genuinely tragic. He’s given this club it’s soul back - it’s like people have forgotten the last days of mourinho where speaking personally I HATED almost everything about the club. He’s built a young, exciting squad which is improving every year and NOT ONCE have we underachieved in a competition relative to the squad he has. We’re actually after the right targets for the first time in nearly a decade. We have some top talents coming through and I have total faith they’ll get the chance to prove themselves under this manager. People moan about the football but in patches we’ve played the best football since SAF. If teams don’t sit back against us and give us some space to operate we destroy them. EVERY team we face adapts how they play to stifle us now. I’m assuming we do have some patterns of play if they set up to stop them...we also press higher up the pitch - something both Tuchel and Pep have stated we’re exceptional at - and now play out from the back...other things that get ignored routinely by the tits on here saying we don’t have coaches. That’s all very clear progress. 3rd last year and 2nd this year would be both jobs well done. Is he better than Pep/Klopp? No but nobody out there is so of course he’s getting a new deal.
Because Sevilla & Leipzig have better squads than us?

The bar has been lowered. It’s as simple as that.

L1nk

“Teams set up to stifle us” no it’s that they realise we can only play one way and if we can’t play that way we massively struggle which has been proven multiple times, its only the top top clubs that still stick to how they wanna play like City

Fluctuation0161

Yup, in only two years we became Arsenal. Even worse. We just want top 4 trophy. They at least want to win some cup then and there.
2 years!?

We have not had back to back top 4 since 2012/13. If you look at quality of signing since the Glazers took over it is Obertan and and Michael Owen on a free. Luckily our recruitment had been good before they came and we had the best manager in history.

We have not even been as good as Arsenal under the Glazers. Still, they are getting a nice parasitic dividend each year.

I'm not sure you are trying to, but we can't blame our underachievement on Ole.

HailtotheKing

Has this actually been agreed? If so it’s nonsensical. Does Ed learn nothing? Last time he confirmed him mid season after Paris we went on a huge losing streak. It removes all motivation. Not only that what happens if we don’t make top four which is still entirely possible? He rewarded José a bumper contract then fired him costing the club tons of money. He rewards DDG a huge new contract then brings in Henderson and pays him tons too. The guy is an absolute tool. If this is an example of our new structure god help us!

And why give him such a large rise? Why even pay him so much in the first place? No one else was gonna take him and he loves the club. We waste so much money on contracts that could be put to better use. Our decision making at this club is just baffling sometimes. On and off the pitch.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's fine. If things start falling part next season he can still be sacked despite the contract.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Because Sevilla & Leipzig have better squads than us?

The bar has been lowered. It’s as simple as that.
Lowered since Ferguson? Yeah, no shit. That’s what happens when you spend 5 years buying absolute shite hiring washed up managers. Lowered since LVG and Mourinho? Absolutely not. 3rd last year and I think we’ll finish second this year. He’s doing everything reasonably expected of him. If we hired Pochetino and he’d delivered the same squad and same results at this point the moaning wouldn’t be close to what it is now.

Foxbatt

What this fetish with a top 4? Why not top 2 or top 6?
It's all BS. It's got nothing to do with if it's top 4 or top 6. It's got everything to do with CL. We have been in CL in successive seasons after SAF.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We're Manchester United and we don't have a divine right to win or challenge or even want to challenge for big trophies. Don't question our fanbase.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2 years!?

We have not had back to back top 4 since 2012/13. If you look at quality of signing since the Glazers took over it is Obertan and and Michael Owen on a free. Luckily our recruitment had been good before they came and we had the best manager in history.

We have not even been as good as Arsenal under the Glazers. Still, they are getting a nice parasitic dividend each year.

I'm not sure you are trying to, but we can't blame our underachievement on Ole.
I disagree. Glazers are leechers but they did invested money. They should and could have invested more but lets not pretend that Obertans and Owens were our policy.
But Ole was best move by Glazers since they came in. For them of course. Before him we (fans) wanted top players, top managers and trophies. Now fans are happy with top 4 fight. Some even don't demand that ffs.
Standards became pretty low these days.

croadyman

This place moans when good news is leaked after a bad result, and now we're moaning when it's leaked after a good result too? Why am I not surprised.
So you don't think this is a rushed decision at all like two years ago then

croadyman

Hilarious. Very original.

However even I agree the timing makes little sense. Wait to May and then assess it. If we fell apart and dropped out of the top 4 after giving him a new deal it would be yet another disaster class from Woodward and co.
He just couldn't wait old toy story puppet could he

edgecutter

I disagree. Glazers are leechers but they did invested money. They should and could have invested more but lets not pretend that Obertans and Owens were our policy.
But Ole was best move by Glazers since they came in. For them of course. Before him we (fans) wanted top players, top managers and trophies. Now fans are happy with top 4 fight. Some even don't demand that ffs.
Standards became pretty low these days.
This. Any other manager that wasn't an ex united player would have the entire fanbase against them with the shite that has been served up since Jan.

croadyman

He absolutely is.

Ole's reign is not about this season. Never was. It's not even about next season.

Our club is looking and planning for well beyond that.
Clearly you can't see any faults with Ole's management whatsoever so should get yourself a job on MUTV because they also believe there is no issues and everything is all rosy in the garden

dove

People said lvg and mouringo guaranteed success. They were wrong and looked like idiots. They said ole couldn't do a million things and were wrong over and over. Nobody knows it he can improve us and win a league, and trying to make concrete predictions will just leave them looking stupid all over again. If he is improving is we should stick with it, especially considering top managers failed to keep improving us in the past
I mean... both of them won trophies. FA or EL is hardly a success but it's something. Also remember when Jose was criticized when we finished 2nd with 81 points? Apparently the style of football was bad. I can't disagree but it's funny seeing same people now turning the blind eye on Ole as we are nowhere near 80 points and our style of football is not better. If our previous managers were criticized for certain things I think it's only fair Ole is too.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His results are fine, and he has improved us. We should get top four and maybe we’ll do well in a cup, but the football hasn’t been entertaining for a long time now. I can accept not challenging for things whilst we build if we can at least play on the front foot, but we’ve not seen that for a while.

el3mel

We're Manchester United and we don't have a divine right to win or challenge or even want to challenge for big trophies. Don't question our fanbase.
United fanbase is the only fanbase in the world that blames you for trying to have high ambitions, it's funny. Wanting your club to win trophies or challenge for the league means you're a toxic, spoilt and entitled fan.

big rons sovereign

The same 4/5 names in every thread saying the same mindless shite
It must be exhausting being so dull.
I honestly can't imagine quite how miserable they are.

Mainoldo

United fanbase is the only fanbase in the world that blames you for trying to have high ambitions, it's funny. Wanting your club to win trophies or challenge for the league means you're a toxic, spoilt and entitled fan.
Survivors guilt.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
As someone mentioned, if this was a move to sure up Haaland, it is brilliant. Other than that, it is a head scratcher for me.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To give time for Ole to work with the new appointments of Murtough and Fletcher to see if that works?
So why not wait.? He'd still be working with them whether he signs a new contract or not. The club have nothing to gain and everything to lose if he signs a new contract now. It's stinks of desperation just in case we don't make top 4 and by then it will too late to do anything about it.

croadyman

It's amazing how many United fans can't seem to separate Ole the (fantastic player) from Ole the (very ordinary) manager. I don't see this progress that the propaganda keeps harping on about. No closer to winning the league than we were last season in times of the gap between us and the winners
You have absolutely nailed it there and the reason I have been Ole out since he got appointed is because there hasn't been enough willingness from him to change things whether that is coaching staff or favouritism towards certain players

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I keep reading things like this. So disrespectful.

Hes come into one of the biggest jobs in football. A giant of a club, one that was in a rut with a mess of a squad, and he's delivered progress.

People still talk as though no other club would ever touch him with a bargepole. The PE teacher stigma has deep roots with some
Didn't you say just a short time ago that the bare minimum expected from Ole is top 4 or he has to go? Why do you want him to sign a contract right now and not at the end of the season which would be the smart move to make. Is it because the wheels are wobbling slightly and top 4 isn't as assured as everyone thought just a few short months ago? Is your stance still the same? Top 4 or out?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If we get Top 4 he stays. I would then say next season you have to produce a trophy to earn a new contract. See if he can cope with the pressure of that, being Manchester United manager is all about pressure. Nobody should get a free ride.