Solskjaer's contract

Giggsy13

I think we justify it by understanding a small number of games don't automatically define the longer term future.
Small number of games? If we fail to finish top 4, then that’s a monumental slump and decline of more than a small number of games.

You speak of “longer term future” as if we have a number fledgling youth teamers in the squad. This is a good squad and it should be finishing top 4. If Ole ultimately can’t get the best out of this team then how do you expect him to be the one to lead us to trophies in the future.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's actually pretty funny you accusing me of ranting when it's you about to have an aneurism :lol:

Go back, read through the posts, see what direction they took, come back and you won't even have to apologise :)
An aneurysm? You don't deal with stress easily if that's your take. I'm not the one who goes on like Ole are your hamster, or makes weird nonsensical statements about ambition because I've gone 5 minutes without moaning about the manager. :lol:

I'm perfectly aware of your warped sense of justification. Feel free to explain how offering an early contract has anything to do with Ole's ambition.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Feel free to explain how offering an early contract has anything to do with Ole's ambition.
Remember what happened the last time we gave Ole a contract before the season finished because I sure do?
We kept him, and the board have been happy with what he has done since... I mean, way to shit on your own point. :lol:
Of course the board are happy. Someone who doesn't cause waves inside the club is like a wet dream for them.
I was talking about his contract. You mentioned why the board are happy with him and then I made a glib comment on why the board are happy with him. If that caused you offence then apologies but it's hardly a ground breaking point because every window if we don't get the players we need Ole makes it look like it's all his decision taking the heat off the Glazers/Ed.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing not calling the club out on these matters but if Ole wants to succeed then he needs to be more vocal and stop taking the blame himself because he's the one that's going to fall on the sword.

ivaldo

I was talking about his contract. You mentioned why the board are happy with him and then I made a glib comment on why the board are happy with him. If that caused you offence then apologies but it's hardly a ground breaking point because every window if we don't get the players we need Ole makes it look like it's all his decision taking the heat off the Glazers/Ed.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing not calling the club out on these matters but if Ole wants to succeed then he needs to be more vocal and stop taking the blame himself because he's the one that's going to fall on the sword.
:lol: So you've gone from it being on topic, something which you were vehemently defending, to it being a glib comment that shouldn't offend me? And that's not even it. You then went on to talk about Ole having no ambition, which has nothing to do with offering him a contract. It's like you reread what you wrote and realised you were wrong... It's ok though, I won't ask you to apologize. ;)

Last edited:

copen1945

With each game, it is clear that he deserves the extension. For stability and continuity, this should be announced soon.

Reactions: langster

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
:lol: So you've gone from it being on topic, something which you were vehemently defending, to it being a glib comment that shouldn't offend me? And that's not even it. You then went on to talk about Ole having no ambition, which has nothing to do with offering him a contract. It's like you reread what you wrote and realised you were wrong... It's ok though, I won't ask you to apologize. ;)
By feck you are a stubborn one.

I was trying to be diplomatic but since diplomacy obviously doesn't work with you I'll say it in a language you might understand.

Of course the club are willing to extend his contract because Ole is the perfect scapegoat who won't rock the boat when we don't get the signings we need to push on. It's in the clubs own interest to wait until the end of the season to see if we actually make top 4 because anything less should be a sacking but because we have absolutely no ambition they want to extend now just in case the wheels do fall off.

Did I leave anything out?

Jonno

Top 4 all but secured tonight with a quarter of the season still to play. That is progress on last season which was progress on the season before.

Without doubt deserves a new contract & another season to continue his work.

ivaldo

By feck you are a stubborn one.

I was trying to be diplomatic but since diplomacy obviously doesn't work with you I'll say it in a language you might understand.

Of course the club are willing to extend his contract because Ole is the perfect scapegoat who won't rock the boat when we don't get the signings we need to push on. It's in the clubs own interest to wait until the end of the season to see if we actually make top 4 because anything less should be a sacking but because we have absolutely no ambition they want to extend now just in case the wheels do fall off.

Did I leave anything out?
You need to work on your diplomacy pal. You don't tend to tell someone they're 'offended,' whatever that means, when you're trying your hand at diplomacy.

What a ham-fisted way of trying to justify your rant. It was Ole you were accusing of having no ambition, not the club. :lol: That was before you vehemently defended it, then accepted it was a glib comment, then went back to defending it again. You're determined, I'll give you that. Just accept it was a shitty comment that had no relevance to the conversation, take the L, and move on to the next callous rant about that monster Ole. Ill let you have to last word. I know it's important to you.

Robbie Boy

You need to work on your diplomacy pal. You don't tend to tell someone they're 'offended,' whatever that means, when you're trying your hand at diplomacy.

What a ham-fisted way of trying to justify your rant. It was Ole you were accusing of having no ambition, not the club. :lol: That was before you vehemently defended it, then accepted it was a glib comment, then went back to defending it again. You're determined, I'll give you that. Just accept it was a shitty comment that had no relevance to the conversation, take the L, and move on to the next callous rant about that monster Ole. Ill let you have to last word. I know it's important to you.
Never change, ivaldo :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
If we offer him a contract before the end of the season that’s dumb even by Woodward’s standards.

He’s done nothing to show me that we will ever achieve anything under him. He talks the talk about “United Way” then sets us up to draw 0-0 in almost every big game, or takes off our one attacking outlet with over 20 minutes to go against Milan, leaving us with 8 defensive players on the pitch desperately trying to cling to a 1-0. Fearless player, cowardly manager.

His status with the fans makes him a perfect appointment for Ed & the Glazers. They will continue to line their pockets, we will challenge for top 4 every year & win nothing.
2 defeats in 27 and still all you can do is whine and complain. We have scored 89 goals this season - you make it sound like we are completely hopeless. And btw - he doesn't set us up to play 0-0, but we haven't been good enough. We created more than enough to beat Liverpool and Chelsea - and last time I checked we did fairly ok against both Chelsea and City, so stop the whining. You are a disgrace

croadyman

Top 4 all but secured tonight with a quarter of the season still to play. That is progress on last season which was progress on the season before.

Without doubt deserves a new contract & another season to continue his work.
How much of what he needs will he actually get this summer though, if I had to make a guess I would say a CB, have to make do with existing options at RW & ST and maybe a backup RB if Trippier is nice and cheap for our leeching owners.

Jonno

How much of what he needs will he actually get this summer though, if I had to make a guess I would say a CB, have to make do with existing options at RW & ST and maybe a backup RB if Trippier is nice and cheap for our leeching owners.
Yep, sadly we may only get half of whats needed. I’m just glad we’re just no longer tearing up plans after 2 seasons and flogging all our players for a pittance.

With a long term strategy we can slowly, but surely get back to the top. It looks like we need a CB, DM, RW, ST to complete our long-term rebuild, I think if we got 2 of them in the summer we’d be able to challenge at least.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So next season is it fair to expect much better football and process again? With good performance in the CL, along with a cup win at least.

Because the football lately has been an absolute bore and I don't see how Ole can take us above where we are, but that's expecting too much. I just want to know what other fans expect from Ole going forward.

croadyman

Yep, sadly we may only get half of whats needed. I’m just glad we’re just no longer tearing up plans after 2 seasons and flogging all our players for a pittance.

With a long term strategy we can slowly, but surely get back to the top. It looks like we need a CB, DM, RW, ST to complete our long-term rebuild, I think if we got 2 of them in the summer we’d be able to challenge at least.
Would throw in a CM too if Pogba leaves as this last 5 weeks has shown how hard we find it to create anything at all without him getting on the ball from that deep midfield position

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Ole is as ambitious as the club lets him. Not his fault. He's always going to toe the party line because not even he can believe the job he's in.

When I'm talking about ambitious I'm talking about a manager who is willing to call the club out depending on how the transfer window goes. I'm not talking Mourinho style but the club has to be held accountable if we ever want to get back to winning titles. If you think Ole sitting there taking the blame on the Glazers behalf is the way to go then that's on you. Myself, I think a different way.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Obviously getting knocked out of the CL so soon was wank, but we are still 2nd in march. I don't think it would be out of order to give him a 1 year extension. I wouldn't mind Nagelsmann here before another big club snatches him up, but maybe he's too young for the Man Utd club anyway, I'd just like a manager who's dynamic.

ivaldo

Obviously getting knocked out of the CL so soon was wank, but we are still 2nd in march. I don't think it would be out of order to give him a 1 year extension. I wouldn't mind Nagelsmann here before another big club snatches him up, but maybe he's too young for the Man Utd club anyway, I'd just like a manager who's dynamic.
And 9 points clear of the team in 5th.

Kag

I hope any new contract is met with genuine backing in the transfer market. A striker and right winger urgently required.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Because Sevilla & Leipzig have better squads than us?

The bar has been lowered. It’s as simple as that.
Leipzig and Sevilla has nowhere as good as squads as us nor spent silly money like we have. We've just mostly completely underperformed ever since Fergie retired.

Greck

Oh I know what I was responding to, it was this piece of intellectual brilliance:
Really? Not the actual topic? Your problem was, of all things a hyperbole being too hyperbolic? not the topic. Keep it moving dude. I'm here for contract talk. You can praise my literary devices over pm

hobbers

which is improving every year and NOT ONCE have we underachieved in a competition relative to the squad he has.
Christ almighty, okay. Glazer propaganda really hit home with this one, expectation levels at an all time low.

We should feel privileged to even reach the knockout stages of Europa lets be honest, and we're so lucky to get the honour of going out to teams like Chelsea in the FA cup and Leipzig in the CL.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Christ almighty, okay. Glazer propaganda really hit home with this one, expectation levels at an all time low.

We should feel privileged to even reach the knockout stages of Europa lets be honest, and we're so lucky to get the honour of going out to teams like Chelsea in the FA cup.
Aye. That’s exactly what I said. Sick and tired of absolute melons linking support for Ole as support for the fecking Glaziers. Go cry wank over a picture of Jose.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I hope any new contract is met with genuine backing in the transfer market. A striker and right winger urgently required.
This is really true. I know that many aren't at all in favour of a new contact right now, or in some cases ever, but if he is given an extended stay at this club then Ole needs to be backed in the transfer market. If he has his own ideas of whom we need to bring in to improve then give him that opportunity. If his first choices aren't available then I should think that he will also have viable alternatives in mind that the club could go after if his initial choices aren't viable or are taking too long. Hopefully there's an improvement in how business is conducted with these two new positions on the board that have been made and things are less confused and more clear-cut. If he's going to be given further chances to take this club forward then there's no point in giving him more time without allowing him to make the squad changes that he needs.

Mainoldo

Aye. That’s exactly what I said. Sick and tired of absolute melons linking support for Ole as support for the fecking Glaziers. Go cry wank over a picture of Jose.
You sound like you need to release the tension ;)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
2 defeats in 27 and still all you can do is whine and complain. We have scored 89 goals this season - you make it sound like we are completely hopeless. And btw - he doesn't set us up to play 0-0, but we haven't been good enough. We created more than enough to beat Liverpool and Chelsea - and last time I checked we did fairly ok against both Chelsea and City, so stop the whining. You are a disgrace
This.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
You sound like you need to release the tension ;)
In fairness I have totally lost the plot in this thread a little :lol:

I’m extremely doubtful Ole is the man to win us titles but the disrespect he receives for the job he’s done so far is ludicrous and it is starting to seriously piss me off. Finishing 3rd last year with Pogba and Rashford out for most of the season and Bruno only there for half of it was actually overachieving. Andreas Pereira was first choice for christ sake. There was a thread on here saying we could be relegated!!! Same with finishing 2nd this year, after the clusterfeck of the summer we’d have snapped that up at the start of the season. Instead people are trying to rewrite history and insist we should be challenging city for the title. It’s bollocks. He is getting what he should out of the squad whilst slowly integrating young talent and improving it. We’re in a far better place than when he arrived and as long as there are signs of progress he deserves to stay.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's funny because Mourinho talked highly of them. Delusional HUHG wankers.

hobbers

You said we hadn't underachieved in any competitions under Ole. That's a frankly ridiculous opinion no matter how much you love the guy. The only way you can think we haven't underachieved and should be proud of going down in every semi final barely putting up a fight, and bottling out in the group stage CL in humiliating fashion, is if you've fallen for Woodward and Glazer spin. Sorry about that.

wolvored

As long as he gets top 4 he can play shit defensive football and will have his contract renewed. If he wins the league cup and FA cup, playing expansive fast flowing attacking football but finishes 5th he will be gone. Simple as that.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
You said we hadn't underachieved in any competitions under Ole. That's a frankly ridiculous opinion no matter how much you love the guy. The only way you can think we haven't underachieved and should be proud of going down in every semi final barely putting up a fight, and bottling out in the group stage CL in humiliating fashion, is if you've fallen for Woodward and Glazer spin. Sorry about that.
I never said we should be proud did I? You’re making things up to go on some moronic supporting Ole = Glazer propaganda rant.

Cast5

Lot of that isn't true though is it. Firstly, the manager has barely anything to do with moving on players, if you want someone to praise for that go look at the usual suspects for criticism - Woodward and Judge. Quality of football has barely improved at all on Mourinho's second season, and is getting worse not better. Performances and consistency have been atrocious this season, like they were for the previous season before Bruno arrived. Signed Bruno yes, but also signed AWB and Maguire, massive wastes of money on players who don't remotely fit the profile Ole should have been looking for given his tactical preferences. Made Maguire captain, another big mistake. Bottled out of every cup competition. Bottled out of the CL group stage in hugely embarrassing fashion. Currently on target to not improve on the points haul from last season.

A couple of players have improved in the last two years, like Shaw, but is that because of Ole or just because they're playing regularly and avoiding injury? Pretty fair bet it's the latter. Meanwhile, why have the players everyone expected to improve under Ole - Rashford and Martial namely - either stagnated or massively declined.
Managers have very little to do with moving on players? Are you joking? :lol:

Who told you this?

Kaos

There should be absolutely no reason to rush a contract just yet. If we finish the season scraping into top 4 with another year of no trophies, does that constitute progress? I wouldn't think so. We need to stop embracing Glazer mediocrity and be progressive and dare I say - a little ruthless for once.

rotherham_red

I think realistically, it will be two of the four big needs (DM, RW, CB, ST) who will come in, but rather than look at it as a negative, and that we won't get all of what we need, I'd rather look at it as a positive. So for example, from the rumours it seems that the two big needs we will be looking to resolve this summer will be a CB and RW.

Having a proper partner for Maguire would allow us to push up further and play on the front foot, while also giving us a more solid foundation to build on. While having a RW after the best part of a decade without one is going to lessen the burden and the load on the likes of Rashford and Bruno who have especially carried our attack this season due to the struggles of Martial and Greenwood. It would also allow us the chance to actually rest Rashford, keeping him refreshed for the course of the season, and finally, having an extra creative spark on the pitch will give Rashford and Bruno, as well as the rest of the attack even more space to exploit.

My personal preference would be a DM rather than a CB, as it would allow us to only play one of Fred and McTominay, but it doesn't seem like that person is on the agenda for this summer. It'll probably be a Summer 2022 priority, along with a striker (obvious first choice being Haaland).

To get the squad in this shape with only 6 permanent signings over the course of 2 and a bit years, is brilliant. By comparison, at the same stage, Jose had 11 players in and LvG, 14.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I really wish we would learn our lesson and wait until the season plays out before handing out the big contracts to managers.

Maybe by idiot fans. But clearly not by the club or by fans who see bigger pictures.
Heh. Big words from the Farmfoods version of Indykaila.