Solskjaer's contract

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think we need to be more daring like chelsea with managerial decisions and replace ole. Ole has done well but does anyone believe we will ever be the best under him? If not then why drag it out unless we are club content to play it safe, ambitious sides don't do that, just look at psg, bayern, barca, chelsea, real madrid etc.. who have not been content with being second best under certain managers.
Yuck. No thanks. They actually aren't that far away from running out of managers to hire. I'd rather have a failed punt at creating a Ferguson-style dynasty than go through a new manager every 54 games (which is the average of the last 11 they've had excluding Jose)

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
For a manager that hardly ever loses a football match, he's sure looked down upon by some of you fine gentlemen.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
To make it clear, we are extending his contract to convince Haaland? What if he does not sign for us? Alternatively, he signs, we turn shite and sack Ole. What happens next?
Alf Inge Haaland literally listed the "What if the manager won't be there" as a reason for Haaland not signing here last year. There was a feeling from his camp that mostly Ole wanted the player, not the club. This is a direct quote from him during a interview with Norwegian TV2

""You never know how it would go in other clubs. It may well have been good, too,' he told TV2 .

"We'll never get an answer to that. But we are very happy with the clubs he has been in.

"You have to go to a club where the whole club wants you, not just the coach.

"I think that's the most important thing, in addition to how the club has been over the last five or 10 years and what direction they've taken."

tomaldinho1

It's Luckhurst, not the most reliable but the article reads like a brief.

You're asking me as if I'm Woodward. :lol:

The idea is that Ole is going to get a contract extension at the end of the season. But instead we're giving it to him now before we begin the negotiations for Halaand.
I mean, which club who is in the market looking for a 9 isn't going to be after Haaland?

Strikers (at clubs who could afford/attract Haaland) by age at start of next season:
Juve: Ronaldo 36
Barca: Messi 34
Chelsea: Giroud 34
Bayern: Lewa 33
Real: Benzema 33
City: Aguero 33
Pool: Firmino 29
PSG: Icardi 29
United: Martial 25

If United don't land Haaland - which I'd think is quite likely - will that mean the board haven't backed Ole?

Edit: before some Messi fanatic blows their top, I get he's not a 9 but you understand the point.

Chairman Steve

If these premature (in my opinion) talks about contract extension are the result of a knock on effect like certain players like Haaland or Grealish or whoever joining, then I would understand that. I do feel that OGS is the kind of manager who’d need the best players available to really progress, and isn’t the type of manager who can get blood out of a stone like Sir Alex Ferguson, who has made countless players punch well above their weight over the years.

el3mel

I mean, which club who is in the market looking for a 9 isn't going to be after Haaland?

Strikers (at clubs who could afford/attract Haaland) by age at start of next season:

If United don't land Haaland - which I'd think is quite likely - will that mean the board haven't backed Ole?

Edit: before some Messi fanatic blows their top, I get he's not a 9 but you understand the point.
Same feeling. Honesty Luckhurst is known for his nothing reports. He's Mr. obvious.

Jericho

For a manager that hardly ever loses a football match, he's sure looked down upon by some of you fine gentlemen.
Fair point. I think the fact that we're in an era where teams are winning leagues with record point totals is making our points total look worse.
Remember when you could win a league with 75 points!

Sweet Square

I think we need to be more daring like chelsea with managerial decisions and replace ole. Ole has done well but does anyone believe we will ever be the best under him? If not then why drag it out unless we are club content to play it safe, ambitious sides don't do that, just look at psg, bayern, barca, chelsea, real madrid etc.. who have not been content with being second best under certain managers.
We are above Chelsea in the league, PSG have a massive monetary advantage over every other team in the french league and they currently sitting in 3rd place, Barca are in a collapse due to number of factors(One of these will be the lack of long term planning), Madrid are currently managed but a former player and the current manager of Bayern got the gig full time due to his performances as caretake coach.

OrcaFat

Christ. Of all the interesting points of debate to be had about Ole and the club and that's what you contribute! This is his third season in charge. People will say this is Tuchel's first season in charge. Big expectations in less than generous timeframes are unavoidable at big clubs. He's been here long enough now that we need to see results. I don't know how I'd make it through the day (or bother reading/posting on a forum) if small things like that annoyed me to be honest.
It annoyed me too. I make it through the day okay.

Nori-

Until Ole wins something, I'm still going to have my doubts about him.

Jose and Van Gaal both won trophies and still got the chop. Jose even finished 2nd, which Ole is on course to do this year.

Cast5

Until Ole wins something, I'm still going to have my doubts about him.

Jose and Van Gaal both won trophies and still got the chop. Jose even finished 2nd, which Ole is on course to do this year.
Jose wasn’t sacked for finishing 2nd.

cyril C

Your argument is sound but your examples are flaw. Take Chelsea as example, they have 4 strikers, Giroud is only their 4th choice although most reliable. They have Werner, Abraham, and even Havertz. You don't spend 100m to replace your 4th choice striker, you spend 100m only if you are convinced that your 1st to 3rd choice are not good enough, prepared to bite the bullet and correct your expensive mistake, which is likely but not the way that you present it.

Take PSG as example, their top strikers are Neymar and Mbappe. If someone give them a 100m for Mbappe then perhaps they will spend the sum on Haaland.

But yes, City, RM, Barca, BM are all desperate for world class striker. If you take away the cash strapped clubs, you still have City, BM, Chelsea in the market

Green_Red

He should see out his contract. No point letting him go at end of the season especially when there is no good replacement available.

But I would seriously stay off from offering a new deal this season. Let us see how we end the season and if we can win a trophy or two before offering him a new deal.
Currently we are on course to end this season with more or less the same amount of points, goals scored, and games won as last season. Whilst there has been some improvement there is nothing in there to suggest we should be giving him a new contract this year.

Sweet Square

Currently we are on course to end this season with more or less the same amount of points, goals scored, and games won as last season. Whilst there has been some improvement there is nothing in there to suggest we should be giving him a new contract this year.
Is this really true ?

Last season

Played 29 games, Points 45. And were 3 points off 4th.

This season

Played 29 games, points 57. And are 9 points ahead of 5th.

Green_Red

Is this really true ?
Yes it is true. Last season we ended the season with our last 9 games with 6 wins and 3 draws. Take a look at our fixtures remaining and tell me you think we can do 6 wins and 3 draws in our remaining fixtures. If we do that would be amazing, but our form doesn't suggest it. Read my post again... we are on course. Our best case scenario based on current form would be 4 or 5 wins, 3 draws, and at least one loss if we're lucky. That would put us about 9 points better off than last season. I personally don't think we'll finish more than that.

Sweet Square

Yes it is true. Last season we ended the season with our last 9 games with 6 wins and 3 draws. Take a look at our fixtures remaining and tell me you think we can do 6 wins and 3 draws in our remaining fixtures. If we do that would be amazing, but our form doesn't suggest it. Read my post again... we are on course. Our best case scenario based on current form would be 4 or 5 wins, 3 draws, and at least one loss if we're lucky. That would put us about 9 points better off than last season. I personally don't think we'll finish more than that.
The toughest games we have are Leicester City, Spurs(Who just lost to Arsenal) and a Pool side thats in free fall in the league. Not saying we are going to win every game but it isn't the toughest run in the world. Also 9 points isn't more or less the same as last season imo.

Green_Red

The toughest games we have are Leicester City, Spurs(Who just lost to Arsenal) and a Pool side thats in free fall in the league. Not saying we are going to win every game but it isn't the toughest run in the world. Also 9 points isn't more or less the same as last season imo.
Burnley, Villa, Wolves and even Fulham are capable of getting results against us. Don't be too cocky. I want us to win them all but remember we've lost to the bottom team recently and drawn against teams worse than those 4 too. I'm talking current form. Throw into the mix hopefully a couple of semi finals, all things going well against Milan and Leicester this week and we also have tireness to contend with when those teams have rest. Let's see what happens but there are no gimmes in our last 9 games.

Sweet Square

Burnley, Villa, Wolves and even Fulham are capable of getting results against us. Don't be too cocky. I want us to win them all but remember we've lost to the bottom team recently and drawn against teams worse than those 4 too. I'm talking current form. Throw into the mix hopefully a couple of semi finals, all things going well against Milan and Leicester this week and we also have tireness to contend with when those teams have rest. Let's see what happens but there are no gimmes in our last 9 games.
ah fair enough.

Green_Red

If we got 21 points from our remaining games we'd finish on 78 vs 66 last season. Any more dropped points start to make this season look not too dissimilar to last. That's why I think we should be holding off on giving him a contract until we realise the improvement.

Amarsdd

If we got 21 points from our remaining games we'd finish on 78 vs 66 last season. Any more dropped points start to make this season look not too dissimilar to last. That's why I think we should be holding off on giving him a contract until we realise the improvement.
I find comparing just the points total from last season to this one not the best data point given how this is the "covid" season. Every team and manager seems to given a benefit of the doubt because oh its the covid season, on preason (we had the shorted one btw), unusually tight schedule and yadi yada. Can we offer that even a little bit to United and Ole? Even without considering that 10 point improvement and going from 3rd/struggling to make top 4 to finishing 2nd/almost cementing top 4 with 7-8 games to go is a good improvement, not great but good, in a season we or any other were expecting us to do much. Now, next season is a different ball game.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
9 points while having Bruno the full season whereas last season everyone blamed us not having Bruno for our poor first half of the season.

MinGin

I think the remaining fixture result will be hugely depended on how many and when will injury player be recovery.When we have a injury-free squad, we were in a good run form in this season. Furthermore i hope that our young attack line can be awoke in the remaining fixture.

tomaldinho1

Your argument is sound but your examples are flaw. Take Chelsea as example, they have 4 strikers, Giroud is only their 4th choice although most reliable. They have Werner, Abraham, and even Havertz. You don't spend 100m to replace your 4th choice striker, you spend 100m only if you are convinced that your 1st to 3rd choice are not good enough, prepared to bite the bullet and correct your expensive mistake, which is likely but not the way that you present it.

Take PSG as example, their top strikers are Neymar and Mbappe. If someone give them a 100m for Mbappe then perhaps they will spend the sum on Haaland.

But yes, City, RM, Barca, BM are all desperate for world class striker. If you take away the cash strapped clubs, you still have City, BM, Chelsea in the market
You need to watch more footy mate.
PSG usually start with Icardi or Kean centrally, Chelsea with Giroud or Abraham when they play a 9. All of those would immediately be upgraded by Haaland.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Last season
Points - 66
Goals scored - 66
Games won - 18

This season if we maintain the same averages as we've had so far this season
Points - 75
Goals scored - 73
Games won - 21

Bear in mind we started the season very poorly because of a lack of pre-season. We had 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses in our first 6 games for an average of 1.1 points per game. Obviously in a normal season it wouldn't matter when the poor form happened, but this was a unique situation where many teams had a similarly slow start for the same reason (including the three teams widely considered the best in Europe at the moment - City, Bayern and PSG). Since then we've had 23 games with 14 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss for an average of 2.1 points per game. Even the one game we did lose was literally a two goal swing because of the referee disallowing a perfectly good goal for us and wrongly allowing a goal for Sheffield United.

Now I do think we should wait until the end of the season and I'm 50/50 as to whether Ole should be the man to keep taking us forward, but this season is well on track to be comfortably better than last.

cyril C

You need to watch more footy mate.
PSG usually start with Icardi or Kean centrally, Chelsea with Giroud or Abraham when they play a 9. All of those would immediately be upgraded by Haaland.
I am sure Haaland would be an upgrade to Giroud or Abraham, the point is, after spending X million on Werner and Havertz, it would be OK to spend another 100m on a better choice? If Haaland does play week in week out, where would Werner fit in? back up?

In fact, the same situation will come to MU should we land Haaland, do you think Martial will be happy when someone take his shirt?

Again, I am not saying Roman won't sanction the move, but ONLY after he and the Lady, are convinced that Werner was a mistake and need to do something now.

red4ever 79

Last season
Points - 66
Goals scored - 66
Games won - 18

This season if we maintain the same averages as we've had so far this season
Points - 75
Goals scored - 73
Games won - 21

Bear in mind we started the season very poorly because of a lack of pre-season. We had 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses in our first 6 games for an average of 1.1 points per game. Obviously in a normal season it wouldn't matter when the poor form happened, but this was a unique situation where many teams had a similarly slow start for the same reason (including the three teams widely considered the best in Europe at the moment - City, Bayern and PSG). Since then we've had 23 games with 14 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss for an average of 2.1 points per game. Even the one game we did lose was literally a two goal swing because of the referee disallowing a perfectly good goal for us and wrongly allowing a goal for Sheffield United.

Now I do think we should wait until the end of the season and I'm 50/50 as to whether Ole should be the man to keep taking us forward, but this season is well on track to be comfortably better than last.
Can you put the stats from the season before last up. Last season was fecking awful and shouldnt be used as a benchmark for this season. You will see we havent improved from the season before last. We are a poor mans second when all other teams around us have been consistently shite aswell. Qualify for the Champions league like its a big achivement, only to get knocked out in the group stages. Ole should be assessed at the end of the season in terms of contract renewal. He should be delivering a trophy

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can you put the stats from the season before last up. Last season was fecking awful and shouldnt be used as a benchmark for this season. You will see we havent improved from the season before last. We are a poor mans second when all other teams around us have been consistently shite aswell. Qualify for the Champions league like its a big achivement, only to get knocked out in the group stages. Ole should be assessed at the end of the season in terms of contract renewal. He should be delivering a trophy
The season before last we finished on the same points as last season (66), scored one goal less (and conceded 15 more) and won one more game. We finished in sixth instead of 3rd.

If you meant 17/18 we finished with 81 points, scored 68 goals and won 25 games. But that was the only season since Fergie that we performed better than what we're on track for this season (and once again, we had that terrible start this time).

red4ever 79

The season before last we finished on the same points as last season (66), scored one goal less (and conceded 15 more) and won one more game. We finished in sixth instead of 3rd.

If you meant 17/18 we finished with 81 points, scored 68 goals and won 25 games. But that was the only season since Fergie that we performed better than what we're on track for this season (and once again, we had that terrible start this time).
You are correct I mixed the season's up. I still wouldnt be in a rush to offer him a contract. Let this season pan out and see where we are. He should be delivering a trophy and have done better in the Champions league. Recruitment was also very poor last summer.

wolvored

I am sure Haaland would be an upgrade to Giroud or Abraham, the point is, after spending X million on Werner and Havertz, it would be OK to spend another 100m on a better choice? If Haaland does play week in week out, where would Werner fit in? back up?

In fact, the same situation will come to MU should we land Haaland, do you think Martial will be happy when someone take his shirt?

Again, I am not saying Roman won't sanction the move, but ONLY after he and the Lady, are convinced that Werner was a mistake and need to do something now.
Martial will be sold if we land Haaland I think. Anyone who is a challenge to him, he goes into a sulk. feck him off as we deserve better than that.

tomaldinho1

I don't think Marina or Roman care about Werner more than they would any other player. Chelsea are already heavily linked with Haaland and I expect they'll continue to be so - I also don't see why Werner & CHO (for example) couldn't play either side of Haaland as a front three.

If Werner was some £100m signing and played as an out and out 9, you might have a point (and even then I doubt Roman would care if a player he liked more was available), but he wasn't and he doesn't.

Abraxas

It makes sense to me that we would be looking to start contract talks.

In most strategic positions in business or in life the idea of medium and long term is a consideration. In football the idea of long term is quite complex as decisions are often necessarily influenced by results. Yet it would still be very odd to have a person in a major stretegic position on a one year contract going into a new season. Once they have decided they are happy with our progress then the decision for a new contract at this point is fairly trivial.

It's also contradictory to the decisions that have been taken recently with respect to staff, recruitment and the public perception of club direction they seem quite keen on changing to have a manager on a one year contract.

It is much better to have a manager on two or three years and pay compensation to dismiss than show a lack of direction and planning to the players and staff. The former loses you some money, the latter risks compromising all our endeavour. This is why clubs often work things this way, it's not because they enjoy huge pay offs, it is because the alternative is intolerable.

Shark

@NotShark
Martial will be sold if we land Haaland I think. Anyone who is a challenge to him, he goes into a sulk. feck him off as we deserve better than that.
Or he could rotate with Rashford again on the left wing. Who's not exactly pulling up trees himself and needs competition again.

Mainoldo

It makes sense to me that we would be looking to start contract talks.

In most strategic positions in business or in life the idea of medium and long term is a consideration. In football the idea of long term is quite complex as decisions are often necessarily influenced by results. Yet it would still be very odd to have a person in a major stretegic position on a one year contract going into a new season. Once they have decided they are happy with our progress then the decision for a new contract at this point is fairly trivial.

It's also contradictory to the decisions that have been taken recently with respect to staff, recruitment and the public perception of club direction they seem quite keen on changing to have a manager on a one year contract.

It is much better to have a manager on two or three years and pay compensation to dismiss than show a lack of direction and planning to the players and staff. The former loses you some money, the latter risks compromising all our endeavour. This is why clubs often work things this way, it's not because they enjoy huge pay offs, it is because the alternative is intolerable.
Not 1 player except Dan James and Harry Maguire care if Ole’s contract expires or not.

passing-wind

Or he could rotate with Rashford again on the left wing. Who's not exactly pulling up trees himself and needs competition again.
I'm also of the same opinion. I would personally prefer a right sided attacker but I think it's more plausible to get Haaland and allow Greenwood to cement that position in the meanwhile. Martial back on the left and a back up striker in either Anthony / Greenwood if needed.

If we also got a defensive midfielder it would provide the option of putting three in the midfield (4-3-3 same as Herrera, Pogba, Matic) which allows the left / right sided forwards more space to run inward the opposition defences. Greenwood would surely blossom with that freedom, as it's less hassle to cut in from the left which would potentially not enable the club to have to sign a winger compared to the necessity in Ole's present 4-2-3-1.

Abraxas

Not 1 player except Dan James and Harry Maguire care if Ole’s contract expires or not.
It would be interesting to know how you form such iron clad opinions when it appears to be fairly difficult to state this with the degree of certainty present within your post. Perhaps you have some kind of insight that is atypical of a fan that is not acquainted with the players, unless you are of course.

It could also be the case that your own personal musings do not necessarily represent the views of the players.